How many have ever changed their minds...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've long said that I like to discuss things with smart nice people who know the Bible and disagree with me.

:)

I can test my views, come to understand other views better, and perhaps even more so, well, when one debates over and over and over on the same topics, one can come to learn to better articulate one's views.

Have I changed what I think because of forums? Because of many things! It's all one thing, the ministry of the Holy Spirit to conform me to Christ.

But I think if I were to quantify change, I'd say that from my forum participation, the greater change is in how I relate with others.

Much love!
I can say no one has changed my views, but several have made observations that down the road led me to reexamine and even make changes to my views.

The main benefit has, I believe, been in relating to others. I agree with you here. And this is true "spiritual growth" (as opposed to knowledge).

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I get paradigm shifts pretty regularly. I have come to expect them and hold my current understanding of God & His Word very lightly.

New revelation doesn't throw out the previous, it usually just reveals a bigger picture.

It is kind of like the progression of mathematics.
  • Multiplication doesn't make Addition untrue.
  • Algebra & Geometry doesn't make Multiplication untrue.
  • Physics doesn't make Algebra & Geometry untrue.
It is like we must learn the lesser truths, first, before we can learn greater truths.
A paradigm that is skewed but favoured becomes a stumbling block.
Can a foundation that is solid support a building whose whose bricks are not fired when exposed to the tempest?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Has anyone ever changed their minds on a doctrinal position as a result of praying and studying something out that they read here on CB?

Please share. Debate is not the goal here, as inevitable as it may be. Testimony is.

I'll start.

I once realized while dicussing covenants on another forum website, that I didn't know nearly enough about them. (Still don't, btw)
I have changed my mind about plenty though I don't advertise it. I see this as my growing process.
Some of the views I've held in the past but didn't see the implications I've now let slide. Other positions have grown stronger as I see the various dots connect.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! What a turnout! You guys are great!!!
gee-willikers.jpg

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone ever changed their minds on a doctrinal position as a result of praying and studying something out that they read here on CB?

Please share. Debate is not the goal here, as inevitable as it may be. Testimony is.

I'll start.

I once realized while discussing covenants on another forum website, that I didn't know nearly enough about them. (Still don't, btw)
It starts farther back with other forums for me.

I have been unsure for a couple of decades about some of the particular doctrines my church group taught, but found out my suspicions were true on forums.

Then I began to test my beliefs and drop or modify them to the Bible as needed(when I saw a post that debunked my idea).

I let my pride and presuppositions go to do this, as it was not an easy process.

I found out I now am at peace with every verse of the Bible doing this...thanks to debate forums.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can a foundation that is solid support a building whose whose bricks are not fired when exposed to the tempest?
If I understand your point correctly, no. But scaffolding is considered a worthwhile, if temporary, element in construction.

full
(Did you know that Hong Kong uses bamboo for scaffolding...?)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is one significant change for me from when I started here, and particularly from when I participated on other forums previously. I now come prepared. When I started out on forums in the 90s, I discovered very quickly how little I understood many things, beginning with scripture. I also misunderstood people. Interacting with people on a fairly daily basis necessitates qualities of character that if we are going to challenge anyone or propose something doctrinally that is not generally recognized, we must remember that regardless of whether we are right or wrong, we are all representing Christ. Our misrepresentations of His character I see as very unfortunate particularly in lighgt of the fact that unbelievers I think will be coming to forums such as these with more frequency as time goes on. IT is important that we do not discourage them from searching by our behavior, or our beliefs or behavior that put God in such a light that He would be rejected by others.
But the power is not in us to change others. The power is in the word itself. And those changes may not happen while people are here contributing. But when the internet is taken away...or the more conservative/radical/fundamentalist among us removed...and the world is in turmoil and crisis, and our faith being tested and our beliefs challenged like never before, then the holy Spirit may use these forums and bring our discussions and debates to our minds, and we will discover truths never before recognized and be able to succinctly apply them to our lives, thus making changes we now cannot envision.
I have always seen my role here as simply to cause people to think. That is all I believe any of us can hope for. If people change at all or their views of doctrine alter, hopefully for the better, then glory to God.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is one significant change for me from when I started here, and particularly from when I participated on other forums previously. I now come prepared. When I started out on forums in the 90s, I discovered very quickly how little I understood many things, beginning with scripture. I also misunderstood people. Interacting with people on a fairly daily basis necessitates qualities of character that if we are going to challenge anyone or propose something doctrinally that is not generally recognized, we must remember that regardless of whether we are right or wrong, we are all representing Christ. Our misrepresentations of His character I see as very unfortunate particularly in lighgt of the fact that unbelievers I think will be coming to forums such as these with more frequency as time goes on. IT is important that we do not discourage them from searching by our behavior, or our beliefs or behavior that put God in such a light that He would be rejected by others.
But the power is not in us to change others. The power is in the word itself. And those changes may not happen while people are here contributing. But when the internet is taken away...or the more conservative/radical/fundamentalist among us removed...and the world is in turmoil and crisis, and our faith being tested and our beliefs challenged like never before, then the holy Spirit may use these forums and bring our discussions and debates to our minds, and we will discover truths never before recognized and be able to succinctly apply them to our lives, thus making changes we now cannot envision.
I have always seen my role here as simply to cause people to think. That is all I believe any of us can hope for. If people change at all or their views of doctrine alter, hopefully for the better, then glory to God.
I just came to fellowship...and seek out those who edify and exhort others with words of Wisdom.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I'll start.

I once realized while dicussing covenants on another forum website, that I didn't know nearly enough about them. (Still don't, btw)

Never as a result of something said in a forum (and I've been on Christian forums for over 10 years).

But I have changed my mind in favour of annihilationism, as a result of writing an essay on it for a theology course.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Never as a result of something said in a forum (and I've been on Christian forums for over 10 years).

But I have changed my mind in favour of annihilationism, as a result of writing an essay on it for a theology course.
Certainly be easier to write on annihilationism rather than Eternal torment... Both in amount of material and Biblical authority.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can't say I have Changed my mind on a Doctrinal position "as a result of praying and studying" or as a result of reading something on CB.

To Clarify:
Mindfully- people hear, read, study all kinds of things...from a young age and into maturity.

To Clarify:
I was not raised in a "church" or heard any particular "church" Doctrines.
I do not belong to or attend a "church".

I trusted my mother, (having passed away) who believed in God, Christ the Lord Jesus, and thus, so did I. I can not remember ever Not Believing.

Growing up, I TRIED, reading the Bible. Of course it was a frustrating Fail, since in my ignorance...I thought Book...open...read like a novel...cover to cover.
Something I realized...going through Public Schools....is the Failure to properly Teach; HOW TO Learn and HOW TO Study.
That ^ was my Quest...and am content with having put forth the Effort to accomplish that.
Next Quest...was to Diligently dedicate Long hours daily to Scriptures.
The Basic who, what, when, where, why and how...is always the paramount questions I seek for answers to any particular Scriptural topic.

As far as Doctrine- I didn't begin with a Doctrine...but Learned Jesus has a Doctrine, and He being the One I wanted to follow...
I gave my attention To His Doctrine...and am content His Doctrine is Supreme.
I did not lend my time and efforts to doctrines of men or any particular man-made whatever denomination church.

Joining..a Christian based public internet forum...has been a real eye-opener, "from shocking to comical"...of so many different doctrines...many having no resemblance to Jesus' Doctrines....and the desire of some who "Want to Argue," how the points of "their" Doctrine, trumps, Jesus' Doctrine...
"Because" ... hierarchy of Clerics within their Denomination has for years made those claims, thus, it must be so.

It is Easy and Simple to Observe what one States is their Belief...
Another who agrees with that Belief.
Another rewords and changes your Belief, then disagrees with it...lol.
Another who never States their belief, but trolling to be against what others believe.
Another in agreement with or against "someone" not even participating on the forum.
It a gambit.

Change my mind? No.
Been enlightened in my mind? Yes.
How Weird some people are;
How some people make an interesting point that sparks my interest to go study that;
How some people's genuine attempt is Goodness.
How some people's genuine attempt is Wickedness.

My Scriptural Learning has Very little to do with my minds thoughts, Logical Conclusions, Illogical Conclusions, metaphorically, symbolic, etc.

My Scriptural Learning IS Jesus IS the Truth...
Period. If He says it, it IS what it IS.
I may not Understand every word He says... but I have chosen to Trust and Believe Every word He says.
And am confidant, WHEN, I have the Interest to Underderstand anything, according TO His Understanding...He has provided For Me, an Express WAY, FOR me to Understand (in my new spirit, in my new heart), Expressly according to His Understanding of His word.

Changed my "mind" / my "heart" thoughts by being influenced with Doctrines of men?
No.

Glory to God,
Taken

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Certainly be easier to write on annihilationism rather than Eternal torment... Both in amount of material and Biblical authority.
Actually, what I found from my research was that the Biblical basis for each position was virtually equal - but to my mind the balance was slightly in favour of annihilationism.
Because it's a close-run thing, I wouldn't think badly of anyone who believes in eternal torment, or try to argue them out of it.

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
I came here believing Pentecostal Doctrine.
Never changed my mind.
I still believe Christians should seek the Baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of Speaking in Tongues.
I still believe Christians should lay hands on the sick. (As done in the early church.)
I don't believe one has to be speaking in tongues in order to be saved, that's a United Pentecostal doctrine which I reject.
I believe one should be baptized in water, but I don't believe it's a requirement to be saved.
These are things I believed when I came here, and I did not change my believes one bit.
Praise God!
It's very simple: Believe in Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross, and you shall be saved.
One cannot earn his/her salvation by works. :)
But some people who speak in tongue doesn't meant anything as it will profit to themselves but not to people. Whosoever speak in tongue and translate them as a teaching to the people will built the people into knowledge and wisdom in Christ. (1 Corinthians 14:1-19).
Speak in tongue was useless but only for those who have no faith (1 Corinthians 14:22-25).

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a good analogy. I did a stint in early eighties and, in basic they had us do the dumbest things like, driving us out to the shooting range (first time, so we were excited) when we got there, they had us all carry hundreds of rocks, in our hands, across the field. When we were finished...had to do the same thing then they took us back! Lol. I understood what and why they were doing it and, it is now a very good comparison!
What branch of the military?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

Many years ago I decided to try and understanding why OSAS believe what they do. (I didn't believe in OSAS but there were many people I respected that did hold the OSAS view and I couldn't see how they could possibly even consider such a concept from where I stood)

As a result of a genuine desire to understand why they believe - I found that a lot of what I believed about what they believed was wrong. Through the process my understanding changed greatly on salvation - especially in relation to true and false conversions (I never even considered a concept of a false convert before - I always believed that they were saved, and then 'lost' their salvation when they chose to sin again). While I never came full OSAS as I believe there are still some questionable references - I don't have a firm believe that they are definitely wrong either and have changed a lot of my doctrinal thinking on salvation.

As an example - this begins that when someone says 'the sinners prayer' at a church service - unlike the pastor who gives them assurance that 'if they are hit by a car in the parking lot tonight and die' they will be saved - I'm not convinced anymore - I know have an understanding of the possibility of 'false conversations' and consider that many of these prayers have no reference of repentance in them and may be simply emotional based with no real conviction. (I know no one knows the heart, but I have seen many say a prayer - and then a a short time later return to their own sinful lifestyle. In the past my thought was that they were saved for that short time and then walked away from God and that the kindest thing God could have done was to knock them down after they prayed that prayer. Now I hold and understanding that it's most likely in many of these cases they were never saved in the first place because there was no true repentance and they responded to a false gospel message).

Another doctrinal position I am seriously reconsidering at the moment is the continuing of the spiritual gifts. (I don't deny healing and miracles still take place, and that God answers prayer. Nor do I deny that we should pray for the sick or that people still can't be raised from the dead) - but I am questioning whether the 'gift of healing' or 'gift of prophecy' given to a particular individual ceased with the end of the apostles - and that a lot of what I believed to be true gifts is actually false gifts. This is still something I am working through.

My great concern is that I meet so many devoted Christians on different sides of arguments who never seem to be able to understand or consider another point of view from someone else who differs that's as equally as devoted as them. My thought is that I think we're all going to be wrong about something - and that gaining an understanding (not necessarily agreeing - but just to understand why they believe what they do) is a great tool to be able to communicate more clearly with them where I have concerns - or otherwise to gain a better understanding of where I might be wrong. If I have not learned something or changed my view in a long time on a matter - I figure I'm probably not learning, because I know I can't be right about everything without having mistakes. (Although I take great care with this to ensure that what I consider must line up with scripture).

Awesome,
As far as the spiritual gifts are concerned...I have always had to wonder about them as...it just is not seen by people, or the people who are supposedly healed you would think would want to broadcast what God has done for them. True, instant, permanent healing like Jesus and His Apostles did would most certainly make the news. I see half healing, or kind of healing or just plain fake healing. And, something in my own spirit say's that these things do happen in poor countries as, they are so very grateful for the smallest of things and, their belief and faith would be that of a child IMHO so...I can see movement of the Spirit among these folks.
We all know He can do anything at all and we all know that He does NOT choose to do many things. I suppose I'm a bit of a mutt here...guess you could say I'm a partial secessionist :eek:
This is a tough area. On one hand, if you believe in all the hype stuff, you would be part of "their crowd" if the reverse, you are kind of ousted by some and downright told you are not saved if you don't speak in tongues when saved. Not a single person I know who was baptized ever spoke in anything but English so, if it is true that you are not saved because you were not given tongues as a sign...then many of us are just pretending really. Forums can make one more confused than ever if one is not discerning. And, even the most accurate discerners can be fooled..."if even the very elect". So, really nothing else to add but, your post was spot on Scoot!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Air force...like my mom.
Ah, I haven't known many in the Air Force. I've mostly known Navy people. My dad was in the Army Reserves and worked as a civilian helicopter mechanic at an Army depot for 20 years.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, I haven't known many in the Air Force. I've mostly known Navy people. My dad was in the Army Reserves and worked as a civilian helicopter mechanic at an Army depot for 20 years.

Two of my brothers and most every one of my uncles were Army. One Aunt in the Coast Guard, a nephew in the Marines and another Aunt in the AF.
Several "stories" have been passed around to me and my siblings over the many years as to the "why's" of the women from my mom's family joined. A whole nother subject tho :)

I'd say your dad had a good training and landed (lol) a good job! Funny, when I went down to the federal building back in January of 1981, I wanted to walk into the Navy recruitment office and just pass by the AF but...then I thought of my mom and my Aunts and went into the AF one instead, lol.