How should the church service be structured

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is a textbook example of why I constantly point out your complete ignorance.
You can't even properly exegete ONE verse of Scripture.

Pathetic . . .
10 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers....

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep....

14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd....

Question: plural or singular shepherd(s)?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers....
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd....
I've already addressed this - ad nauseam. So have others here.
It is YOU who keeps running away every time I ask you to exegete Col. 1:24.

Col. 1:24
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,

I have also repeatedly asked you to explain Peter's God-given role as "Shepherd" in John 21:15-19 - and you keep running from that passage as well.
Are you EVER going to address them - OR, should we simply recognize that you are totally unequipped??

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've already addressed this - ad nauseam. So have others here.
It is YOU who keeps running away every time I ask you to exegete Col. 1:24.

Col. 1:24
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,

I have also repeatedly asked you to explain Peter's God-given role as "Shepherd" in John 21:15-19 - and you keep running from that passage as well.
Are you EVER going to address them - OR, should we simply recognize that you are totally unequipped??
I spanked you without any commentary.

All I have to do to debunk you is highlight verses.

LOL

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marksman and I have been looking into the value (or not) of the structure of the typical church service, in which a central leader delivers a sermon. I'm hesitant to dismiss the pastor, the sermon, and most of the churches in America and across the world. But I do take seriously the point marksman raised, that sermons are often weak. And I do think there could be important changes made in the structure of the service, to make ministry more efficient.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Or, if you have an experience that may contribute to understanding the good or bad in this, please speak up!

I've had a long and varied experience in church, but of course, I'm limited by my own upbringing and experience. My own experience with the traditional sermon has not been that good on many occasion. But I don't wish to place the blame on pastors, who have simply been raised up and taught by a system that placed too much weight on them as an individual. See Exodus 18:25.

As I said elsewhere, as the main paid minister in a church, the pastor is expected to do the business of the church as well as provide the ministry of the word. This kind of administration is more than what I see the Bible as specifying. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit gives a diversity of gifts as He wishes.

So let me know what you think?
Good post!...I personally believe Church service should be all about Worship....and allowing the Holy Spirit to move...
Sermons shouldn't even be a part of the service....you can set aside teaching for Wednesday night service.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I spanked you without any commentary.
All I have to do to debunk you is highlight verses.
LOL
Your failure is complete.

Thanks . . .

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post!...I personally believe Church service should be all about Worship....and allowing the Holy Spirit to move...
Sermons shouldn't even be a part of the service....you can set aside teaching for Wednesday night service.

I am hugely for worship, assuming it is freed from the restraints of ritual and repetition. I'm not against some ritual or some repetition--obviously, that might be important or even necessary. However, when you express love for a Deity, it must have an element of "reckless abandon," and unashamed expression of praise for the One who made everything that is beautiful, who has all wisdom, and who has a relationship with us.

But I also love God's word. There does need to be some separation between these things, lest an imbalance take place. You make a good point. And it's true in our church that a major portion of our service is praise and worship. But then we have a time when the pastor gives a sermon, exhorting us to live as we've been taught. Bible study takes place either before the service or on another day of the week. Home Bible studies are good, but should not be dominated by a single leader. The leader must be able to set others free to share. A good leader is a good facilitator!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: Heart2Soul