How should we view the Rich Young Ruler?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Should we view the Rich Young Ruler?

• He is portrayed as one who will inherit life, as saved, but not enter the holy city

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • He's going straight to hell for not being a disciple of Christ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He needs time in purgatory

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a short video...a few minutes long... just enough to get the conversation going. :)
The rich young ruler was a lying hypocrite. "All these things I have kept from my youth" was a truck load of BS. Jesus was trying to convince him that he was a sinner in desperate need of a savior, but he wasn't buying it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The rich young ruler was a lying hypocrite. "All these things I have kept from my youth" was a truck load of BS. Jesus was trying to convince him that he was a sinner in desperate need of a savior, but he wasn't buying it.
So in your ever so humble opinion...he is destined for the lake of fire?

It says...Jesus loved him. Does Jesus love hypocrites in your opinion? Or maybe Jesus saw the sincerity in his request. Maybe you didn't get the memo on this.

The story goes to illustrate how so many of us are called...but we cannot enter into the narrow way because of the cares of this world. And we are far richer than he was. Did he have air-conditioning? The internet? Cars? Every product under the sun?

So how we see the rich young ruler and judge him...is how we are. If we are merciful then God will have mercy on us. That's the point of it.

Peace.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos

Could we say then that not everyone who really is, or will be, saved will necessarily be a part of the Bride of Christ?

So 6:8There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
So 6:9My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I didn't vote because I didn't find an alternative with which I would agree. The eternal state of the rich young ruler is indeterminate from the passage.
You are right of course, but many sermons have been preached that come to some conclusion concerning the RYR. Maybe you have never heard one? In my own experience the RYR was always an example of someone who went to hell as an unbeliever.

As if..."If you wish to be perfect"...actually means in religious speak "If you wish to "get saved" :rolleyes:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos

Could we say then that not everyone who really is, or will be, saved will necessarily be a part of the Bride of Christ?

So 6:8There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
So 6:9My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her.
I think the bible is clear....and Jesus is very clear about many being called but few chosen....as the Bride. Very few of us modern believers will make the cut. We are far too involved in the world...too many cares. What I am warning believers about is to remain humble so as to be AT LEAST numbered among the saved righteous ones. If we don't judge others, then we won't be judged.

If we understand God's mercy...then we can also extend mercy. To Whom? The meek and humble, the merciful ones, the poor, the destitute, the lonely, the widow, the fatherless...etc...

God loves mercy. And He will have mercy on the merciful. What a contrast to all the dogmatic ideologues that think it as nothing to condemn all who are not suitably indoctrinated into their own salvation scheme.

I'm not writing to saints, but to people in danger of being cast into outer darkness. The very idea of this will be seen as ridiculous by most. The religious pride of such is preparing them for a great fall.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the bible is clear....and Jesus is very clear about many being called but few chosen....as the Bride. Very few of us modern believers will make the cut. We are far too involved in the world...too many cares. What I am warning believers about is to remain humble so as to be AT LEAST numbered among the saved righteous ones. If we don't judge others, then we won't be judged.

If we understand God's mercy...then we can also extend mercy. To Whom? The meek and humble, the merciful ones, the poor, the destitute, the lonely, the widow, the fatherless...etc...

God loves mercy. And He will have mercy on the merciful. What a contrast to all the dogmatic ideologues that think it as nothing to condemn all who are not suitably indoctrinated into their own salvation scheme.

I'm not writing to saints, but to people in danger of being cast into outer darkness. The very idea of this will be seen as ridiculous by most. The religious pride of such is preparing them for a great fall.
The Bible is certainly clear, I believe, to someone submitted in the moment to God, that is to the Spirit of God. The importance of humility is so often missed by people in their own walk with God. After our first encounter with God, we may study and then gaining knowledge what too often happens is we, [people] get swollen up in the head as if we already knew all of God's answers. That is just the glimmer or as you have said, the downpayment or the earnest payment. What constitutes the whole loaf?

How close are we to paying our all to Him? A swollen head will not do it in spite of our in depth studies. God will use the studies. God will use the Bible readings. But... if we come to Him with the studies and the readings and full of pride in where we are... what will be the result?

Pr 16:18Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Pr 16:19Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Ro 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

How does one go beyond "reasonable service"? Alone, on our own is it even an possibility?

Mr 10:26And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

So then in spite of our best efforts it comes back to leaning very heavily on Him for direction and everything else:

Jer 10:23O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Pr 3:5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Pr 3:6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible is certainly clear, I believe, to someone submitted in the moment to God, that is to the Spirit of God. The importance of humility is so often missed by people in their own walk with God. After our first encounter with God, we may study and then gaining knowledge what too often happens is we, [people] get swollen up in the head as if we already knew all of God's answers. That is just the glimmer or as you have said, the downpayment or the earnest payment. What constitutes the whole loaf?

Amen brother. We tend to try being perfected without first being crucified. We want to have a hand in our own salvation. So ironic that these same people claim that those trying to wake them up from their delusion are doing what they are doing.

God is a Genius. His ways are amazing.
How close are we to paying our all to Him? A swollen head will not do it in spite of our in depth studies. God will use the studies. God will use the Bible readings. But... if we come to Him with the studies and the readings and full of pride in where we are... what will be the result?

Pr 16:18Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Pr 16:19Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Ro 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

How does one go beyond "reasonable service"? Alone, on our own is it even an possibility?

Mr 10:26And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

So then in spite of our best efforts it comes back to leaning very heavily on Him for direction and everything else:

Jer 10:23O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Pr 3:5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Pr 3:6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Amen again and again! Peace brother :)

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right of course, but many sermons have been preached that come to some conclusion concerning the RYR. Maybe you have never heard one? In my own experience the RYR was always an example of someone who went to hell as an unbeliever.

As if..."If you wish to be perfect"...actually means in religious speak "If you wish to "get saved" :rolleyes:
No, I have not heard a sermon concerning the RTR going to hell. It doesn't mean that they don't exist of course. :) All it says is that the young man went away disappointed. I suppose he wanted Jesus to give him validation. To me, Jesus' instructions to the rich man are very instructive to the rest of us. What did Jesus see in the rich man that he didn't see in himself?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, I have not heard a sermon concerning the RTR going to hell. It doesn't mean that they don't exist of course. :) All it says is that the young man went away disappointed. I suppose he wanted Jesus to give him validation. To me, Jesus' instructions to the rich man are very instructive to the rest of us. What did Jesus see in the rich man that he didn't see in himself?
Would we be disappointed to see the wedding of the Lamb and realize the highest that we can attain is to be a guest? Always a bridesmaid and never a bride???

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a wonderful story, Jesus loved him (verse 21), after hearing the ruler out.

Mark 10:17-27​

New American Standard Bible​

The Rich Young Ruler​

17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do so that I may inherit eternal life?” 18 But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not give false testimony, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth.” 21 Looking at him, Jesus showed love to him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But he [a]was deeply dismayed by [b]these words, and he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property.
23 And Jesus, looking around, *said to His disciples, “How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 And the disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus responded again and *said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 And they were even more astonished, and said to Him, “[c]Then who can be saved?” 27 Looking at them, Jesus *said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.”

The thing is, the rich ruler was not desirous to drop everything he had in the world for the world that was to come in the afterlife involving the spiritual kingdom. However, he could have changed his mind, before Jesus came back, so there is always hope for those who reject at any point in life, to come into accept that Jesus Christ, is the way compared to their own will. God desires us to give up our own will, for his will, and that is a hard choice for any individual to give up their own will. To pick up their own cross and follow after the Lord, just as it is mentioned in John 8, how many people turned away from him.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Pate it may be hard to believe, but it was not to farfetched in people being blameless when it came to walking in the law.

Luke 1:5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6 Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. 7 But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old.

There was still the payment of sin that had to be done at the temple once a year - so they were not without sin, they just so happened to walk in the ways of the law blamelessly, but the temple sacrifice covered their sins, years after year.

It's a great thing that now Jesus Christ is our righteousness because he fulfilled the law, and the prophets! Praise be to Yahava. :) He was the final sacrifice for sins once and for all peoples forever, past, present, and future cause sin can not be paid for again. Therefore praise be to God for rising up his son back from the dead! :D

Reactions: Episkopos

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in your ever so humble opinion...he is destined for the lake of fire?

It says...Jesus loved him. Does Jesus love hypocrites in your opinion? Or maybe Jesus saw the sincerity in his request. Maybe you didn't get the memo on this.

The story goes to illustrate how so many of us are called...but we cannot enter into the narrow way because of the cares of this world. And we are far richer than he was. Did he have air-conditioning? The internet? Cars? Every product under the sun?

So how we see the rich young ruler and judge him...is how we are. If we are merciful then God will have mercy on us. That's the point of it.

Peace.
Yep, the rich young ruler went to hell. He would not admit that he was a sinner in need of a savior. Jesus tried several times to show him that his righteousness fell short of the righteousness of God, but he would not buy it.

No Jesus does not love hypocrites, Read the 23rd chapter of Matthew. He called them every name in the book.

God will only have mercy on those that are in Christ. All the rest are lost.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Pate it may be hard to believe, but it was not to farfetched in people being blameless when it came to walking in the law.

Luke 1:5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6 Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. 7 But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old.

There was still the payment of sin that had to be done at the temple once a year - so they were not without sin, they just so happened to walk in the ways of the law blamelessly, but the temple sacrifice covered their sins, years after year.

It's a great thing that now Jesus Christ is our righteousness because he fulfilled the law, and the prophets! Praise be to Yahava. :) He was the final sacrifice for sins once and for all peoples forever, past, present, and future cause sin can not be paid for again. Therefore praise be to God for rising up his son back from the dead! :D
All that are born after Adam are sinners, including Zacharias and Elisabeth. Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. I believe Paul. Some might do well with the written law, but the spiritual law that searches the desires and the intent of the heart will condemn you ever time, Hebrews 4:12.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just reporting what the Gospel of Luke says, @Robert Pate. If you would have read my comment all the way through you would understand what was being said, sir. It's alright though, I forgive you.

Reactions: Episkopos

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just reporting what the Gospel of Luke says, @Robert Pate. If you would have read my comment all the way through you would understand what was being said, sir. It's alright though, I forgive you.
Many of the apostles did not understand the Gospel and justification by faith. The only one that really understood it was Paul.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Many of the apostles did not understand the Gospel and justification by faith. The only one that really understood it was Paul.
This is an error. What you could say is that only Luther understood Paul. That for 1,500 years God hid the mystery of the easy believism, name it claim it, gospel until some genius drunken monk discovered it.

There's this bridge for sale... :oops:
:rolleyes: :(:oops:

Reactions: faithfulness

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an error. What you could say is that only Luther understood Paul. That for 1,500 years God hid the mystery of the easy believism, name it claim it, gospel until some genius drunken monk discovered it.

There's this bridge for sale... :oops:
:rolleyes: :(:oops:
Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. What most have found is religion. The Gospel is hid to the lost, so they become religious and then declare that they found it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting if we compare the three Synoptic Gospels on this. See scriptures below.

Only Matthew's account says: "keep the commandments". (not the law)
Jesus lists the commandments for him. See below. All from the Ten Commandments.
Six of the Ten, certainly NOT the whole law.

In the other two accounts Jesus is "quoted" as saying: "You know the commandments". (not keep)
Jesus again list SOME of the Ten Commandments. (5 of the 10) With the exception of Mark's account which
adds one OUTSIDE the Ten: "you shall not defraud" (Leviticus 19:13) Which may have been the most applicable.
It reads: “‘Do not defraud or rob your neighbor. “‘Do not hold back the wages of a hired worker overnight."

Therefore, I cannot conclude from this that Jesus was telling either the RYR, or us, to keep the law.

Matthew 19:16-20 NIV
Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good.
If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not
give false testimony
, 19 honor your father and mother,’[a] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

Mark 10:18-20 NIV
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery,
you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[a]”
20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

Luke 18:19-21 NIV
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
20 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder,
you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’[a]”
21 “All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.