How should we view the Rich Young Ruler?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Should we view the Rich Young Ruler?

• He is portrayed as one who will inherit life, as saved, but not enter the holy city

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • He's going straight to hell for not being a disciple of Christ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He needs time in purgatory

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everyone wants to make a sermon out of the story of the rich young ruler.

Here is the truth about it. He would not confess that he was a sinner. Jesus gave him several opportunities for him to admit that he was a sinner, but he wouldn't budge from his self-righteous platform. The first step to becoming saved is to admit that you are a sinner. If you don't admit that you are a sinner, you cannot be saved. Jesus said that he came into the world to save sinners the rich young ruler disqualified himself.
The RYR disqualified himself from ruling and reigning with Christ as the Bride. He will not enter the New Jerusalem. But by God's mercy he may still inherit life in the nations of them that are saved. The kingdom of God is bigger and more varied than most people have considered. It helps to understand the goodness of God towards the meek and merciful.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone wants to make a sermon out of the story of the rich young ruler.

Here is the truth about it. He would not confess that he was a sinner. Jesus gave him several opportunities for him to admit that he was a sinner, but he wouldn't budge from his self-righteous platform. The first step to becoming saved is to admit that you are a sinner. If you don't admit that you are a sinner, you cannot be saved. Jesus said that he came into the world to save sinners the rich young ruler disqualified himself.
Thank you for your input, Robert.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whats interesting to me @Robert Pate this person in this Gospel story had time to change his mind before the wrath of God poured out in Jerusalem.

You know…. People dont think about these things, they just see it as a story, with no possibility of a change for a person at the end.

Who knows he could have came to terms with the truth, and accepted Jesus as his savior.

God is good.

All the best.

Reactions: Cassandra

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aren't you being a bit rough on the RYR?
Jesus was talking to him. Did anything about repentance come up? (nope)

Reactions: Mink57

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. I don't think that we have any business judging whether the RYR will go to Heaven, Hell or Purgatory (if you're Catholic). For all we know, the RYR might later repent.

But then again, the point of the story of the RYR isn't about where he'll eventually end up. It's about how difficult it is for MANY who have wealth to be wealthy AND follow Christ. As someone said above, many who have the material things they want often don't feel the need for Jesus.

Also, how many wealthy people say, "I have enough. I don't need anything more"? How many who have wealth use it to help those who don't?

Reactions: St. SteVen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right. I don't think that we have any business judging whether the RYR will go to Heaven, Hell or Purgatory (if you're Catholic). For all we know, the RYR might later repent.

But then again, the point of the story of the RYR isn't about where he'll eventually end up. It's about how difficult it is for MANY who have wealth to be wealthy AND follow Christ. As someone said above, many who have the material things they want often don't feel the need for Jesus.

Also, how many wealthy people say, "I have enough. I don't need anything more"? How many who have wealth use it to help those who don't?
And it's one thing to mentally assent to needing Jesus...with lip-service, but quite another to only draw life from Him exclusively.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it's one thing to mentally assent to needing Jesus...with lip-service, but quite another to only draw life from Him exclusively.
Agree.
Sometimes this manifests in the little things too.

I wanted to order a music CD, but was disappointed that it was not available in the US.
When I looked again I found it for sale in the UK and I was able to order it.
I took three days to get through customs. Thus making the delivery late.

I was finally alerted that it had been delivered by USPS. But nothing was in my mailbox.
Now what?

I have a card on my desk on which I wrote: "Turn it over to God."
This is to remind me not to try to accomplish everything in the flesh.

So I turned this situation over to God.

The CD showed up at my door the next day. Wow. So, happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mink57 and Laurina

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is Holy. He must and will judge sin wherever he finds it. If the rich young ruler did not come to Christ as a repentant sinner to be saved by him and died in his sins, he is eternally lost.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God is Holy. He must and will judge sin wherever he finds it. If the rich young ruler did not come to Christ as a repentant sinner to be saved by him and died in his sins, he is eternally lost.
God is indeed holy. But He doesn't judge in holiness...but in righteousness. I have found little to no understanding about the difference among fellow believers. Whoever does what is right and fears God is accepted by Him. Peter said that. God is NOT a respecter of persons or their doctrinal bents.

Why don't more people understand the difference between holiness and righteousness?

This is due to the fact that people tend to listen to other people instead of listening to God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is Holy. He must and will judge sin wherever he finds it.
He must? Why MUST he?
What does that mean to JUDGE sin?
Didn't he allow it in the first place?

And now he will incinerate everyone that doesn't align with your own personal doctrine?
Very strange how that works. (or doesn't)
If the rich young ruler did not come to Christ as a repentant sinner to be saved by him and died in his sins, he is eternally lost.
That's a rather myopic, and religiously specific, view of God's judgment.
An other options?

Reactions: Episkopos

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How should we view the Rich Young Ruler?​

OP ^
Depends on the MEANING “you” mean regarding the words “RICH” and “RULER”.

Scripturally, in the natural sense…
* Rich means monetarily wealthy.
* Ruler means one who has express dictatorial authority over an other.

Scripturally, in the spiritual sense…
* Rich means endowed BY God with FAITH IN God.
* Ruler means CHOOSING God shall have express Authority over the individual.

The Founders of the US expressly acknowledged The FREEWILL God endowed Every man with TO spiritually CHOOSE to Become endowed with the Richness of Gods FAITH (or not) and FREELY Become Subject to Gods Authority (or not).

The Founders expressly designed a Constitution FOR the Citizens of the US WHO themselves AGREED, such Constitution IS EXPRESSLY FOR citizens WHO themselves acknowledge their LIBERTY is FROM God, their FAITH is FROM God, their FREEDOM to choose WHO SHALL have authority OVER them, is FROM God.

And…the FOUNDERS expressly, strongly, suggested FOR citizens OF the US, TO seat in offices OF the Government…Citizens WHO themselves acknowledge Gods gift of Liberty and themselves expressly Govern their government offices According TO Gods WILL.

Sadly, umpteen US Governmental Offices are elected, appointed and occupied BY and Governed BY anti-God, citizens and foreigners.

With God, Against God…Results IN DIVISION.
Not a Secret the US (the whole world) IS DIVIDED.

The promoted and advocated and endless media commentaries of DIVISION of Gender, Race, Age, etc. IS a Deflective Hoax.

Spiritual DIVISION IS With or Without God.
During a mans Bodily life time and thereafter the ONLY thing that matters IS a man With or Without his Creator and Maker;
The Lord God Almighty.

Glory to God,
Taken

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
where is he headed? Only God knows.

Did Jesus love him? He loved the wold.. So much he died for it..

Sadly. Like so many, they think they are more righteous than they really are. and do not heed the warning signs when given to them.

did the person understand the gospel? No. He loved his money more than he loved God. which means he has not kept the commands since birth.. He should have recognized this and repented. but he did not

That is nto to say he did not later. which is why we can not determine his final destination. Again, Only God knows

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would we be disappointed to see the wedding of the Lamb and realize the highest that we can attain is to be a guest? Always a bridesmaid and never a bride???
we can't even attain being a guest..

All we can attain is that we are headed to our death.. Sadly to many people do not realise they are on death row

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... did the person understand the gospel?
Question just occurred to me...
What was the gospel before Jesus death and resurrection?

What was the RYR to understand about it?
I think we tend to judge him based on current knowledge over 2000 years in the future.

It would like someone in an eternal age criticizing us for not understanding the Millennium.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question just occurred to me...
What was the gospel before Jesus death and resurrection?

What was the RYR to understand about it?
I think we tend to judge him based on current knowledge over 2000 years in the future.

It would like someone in an eternal age criticizing us for not understanding the Millennium.
The law being a schoolmaster. I do believe he could know he was a sinner

Sadly, many jews. including this young man, deames themself righteous/ They were not trained by the law as they were supposed to be. that's why they did not think they needed a savior..

Reactions: St. SteVen