How should we view the Rich Young Ruler?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Should we view the Rich Young Ruler?

• He is portrayed as one who will inherit life, as saved, but not enter the holy city

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • He's going straight to hell for not being a disciple of Christ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He needs time in purgatory

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
THEIR lack of understanding? What about our OWN lack of understanding?

I mean, what if "they" understand differently than we do? As long as their understanding isn't hurting anyone, then what difference does it make?

But that's NOT it, Episkopos. We come here and share information. We share our beliefs...our faith. OUR faith. As in, our PERSONAL faith. My faith is not yours, and yours is not mine. Nor is mine Behold's...or Amigo's...or even Robert Pate's...nor is it a Muslim's faith, or a Buddhist's faith...

The only thing I see -- and again, this is ONLY *my* opinion -- is how we treat God and how we treat our neighbor. And how we treat BOTH will pretty much decide whether we're 'worthy' of heaven.

Make sense?
Makes absolute sense.
J.

Reactions: Cassandra

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Makes absolute sense.
J.
There is but one mission . JESUS CHRIST and HIM CRUCIFIED .
And the motto is , LET GOD BE TRUE but every man a liar . HOLD to ER WORD OF THE LORD as SOLID TRUTH
and all men , angels , speaking donkeys or dogs or anything , TESTED against GODS WORDS .
Yeah , LET GOD BE TRUE but every man a liar . And i happen to know THE BIBLE contains GODS WORDS
Words INSPIRED BY GOD , BY THE SPIRIT . WORDS OF CHRIST . Thus
THEM WORDS BE TRUTH and EVERY OTHER WORD gets tested against THAT DOCTRINE . WHAT GOD INSPIRED
IS TRUE AS HE IS TRUTH . Now this mindset WILL NOT be loved by many , but lambs , WELL the LOVE OF GOD
has been planted upon their hearts . THEY LOVE TRUTH , it is their meat .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So long as we know that no matter how much faith a false religoin has , ITS DEAD faith .
Faith in anything other THAN JESUS THE CHRIST , is faith NOT IN GOD but in self and in darkness .
And faith without works is also a "dead kinda faith" for we are His workmanship-created UNTO good works-the object of our faith is Christ Jesus-but faith without the fruit of the Spirit-

Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Eph 5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
Eph 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

-is a barren kind of faith-full of head knowledge and not epignosis-from the head to the Lev.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And faith without works is also a "dead kinda faith" for we are His workmanship-created UNTO good works-the object of our faith is Christ Jesus-but faith without the fruit of the Spirit-

Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Eph 5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

-is a barren kind of faith-full of head knowledge and not epignosis-from the head to the Lev.
Its deader than a door nail kind of faith . AND I OUGHTA KNOW i was once KING of that dead faith .
OH i could lip HIS NAME but my heart WAS FAR FROM HIM . FAR FROM HIM . as in FAR FAR FAR FROM HIM .
And what scares me for so many is , THEY JUST LIKE I ONCE WAS . Yep .
TIME we preach the WHOLE COUNSEL of GOD and not just certain view points OF MEN .
EXACTLY MY FRIEND . too many are preaching and teaching the counsel of men and trying to make it into
the counsel of GOD . THAT WONT WORK nor bode well on the DAY OF CHRIST either .

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There is but one mission . JESUS CHRIST and HIM CRUCIFIED .
And the motto is , LET GOD BE TRUE but every man a liar . HOLD to ER WORD OF THE LORD as SOLID TRUTH
and all men , angels , speaking donkeys or dogs or anything , TESTED against GODS WORDS .
Yeah , LET GOD BE TRUE but every man a liar . And i happen to know THE BIBLE contains GODS WORDS
Words INSPIRED BY GOD , BY THE SPIRIT . WORDS OF CHRIST . Thus
THEM WORDS BE TRUTH and EVERY OTHER WORD gets tested against THAT DOCTRINE . WHAT GOD INSPIRED
IS TRUE AS HE IS TRUTH . Now this mindset WILL NOT be loved by many , but lambs , WELL the LOVE OF GOD
has been planted upon their hearts . THEY LOVE TRUTH , it is their meat .
We are to test all words through the lens of Scriptures-

1 Ἀγαπητοί μὴ παντὶ πνεύματι πιστεύετε ἀλλὰ δοκιμάζετε τὰ πνεύματα εἰ ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ ἐστιν ὅτι πολλοὶ ψευδοπροφῆται ἐξεληλύθασιν εἰς τὸν κόσμον

"do not believe"

This is a present imperative with a negative particle which usually means to stop an act already in process.

The tendency of Christians is to accept strong personalities, logical arguments, or miraculous events as from God. Apparently the false teachers were claiming (1) to speak for God or (2) to have had a special revelation from God.

"every spirit"

Spirit is used in the sense of a human person. See note at 1 John 4:6. This refers to a supposed message from God. Heresy comes from within the church (cf. 1 John 2:19). The false teachers were claiming to speak for God. John asserts that there are two spiritual sources, God or Satan, behind human speech and action.

"but test the spirits"

This is a Present active imperative.

This is both a spiritual gift (cf. 1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29) and a necessity for every believer, as are prayer, evangelism, and giving. This Greek word dokimazô has the connotation of "to test with a view toward approval." Believers must think the best of others unless the worst is proven (cf. 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 1 Thess. 5:20-21).

J.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to test all words through the lens of Scriptures-

1 Ἀγαπητοί μὴ παντὶ πνεύματι πιστεύετε ἀλλὰ δοκιμάζετε τὰ πνεύματα εἰ ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ ἐστιν ὅτι πολλοὶ ψευδοπροφῆται ἐξεληλύθασιν εἰς τὸν κόσμον

"do not believe"

This is a present imperative with a negative particle which usually means to stop an act already in process.

The tendency of Christians is to accept strong personalities, logical arguments, or miraculous events as from God. Apparently the false teachers were claiming (1) to speak for God or (2) to have had a special revelation from God.

"every spirit"

Spirit is used in the sense of a human person. See note at 1 John 4:6. This refers to a supposed message from God. Heresy comes from within the church (cf. 1 John 2:19). The false teachers were claiming to speak for God. John asserts that there are two spiritual sources, God or Satan, behind human speech and action.

"but test the spirits"

This is a Present active imperative.

This is both a spiritual gift (cf. 1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29) and a necessity for every believer, as are prayer, evangelism, and giving. This Greek word dokimazô has the connotation of "to test with a view toward approval." Believers must think the best of others unless the worst is proven (cf. 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 1 Thess. 5:20-21).

J.
We are to test all words through what again . THE LENS OF SCRIPTURE . EXACTLY MY FRIEND . EX and XACTLY .

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So long as we know that no matter how much faith a false religoin has , ITS DEAD faith .
Faith in anything other THAN JESUS THE CHRIST , is faith NOT IN GOD but in self and in darkness .
O.k. But what IS "faith"? What does it mean to have "faith in Jesus"? I've seen so many Christians -- especially new Christians -- who claim to have "faith in Jesus." And yet...they're just as ornery as before.

In Mark 1:15, the first 'command' that Jesus said was to REPENT. Seems to me that repentance is an "act"...a "work"...a "deed"...a demonstration of our FAITH.

What I bolded makes more sense to me. Faith without "works" doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, if someone told me they love me, yet treated me like dog dung, am I to believe that they REALLY love me?

Then again, if someone NEVER told me they love me, yet demonstrated -- a.k.a. showed me -- their love for me, which would I pay more attention to?

I could go on and on Johann, but I really believe that some of us sometimes get so caught up in the whole "JESUS this" and "JESUS that."

Where do PEOPLE figure into the equation?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
O.k. But what IS "faith"? What does it mean to have "faith in Jesus"? I've seen so many Christians -- especially new Christians -- who claim to have "faith in Jesus." And yet...they're just as ornery as before.

In Mark 1:15, the first 'command' that Jesus said was to REPENT. Seems to me that repentance is an "act"...a "work"...a "deed"...a demonstration of our FAITH.

What I bolded makes more sense to me. Faith without "works" doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, if someone told me they love me, yet treated me like dog dung, am I to believe that they REALLY love me?

Then again, if someone NEVER told me they love me, yet demonstrated -- a.k.a. showed me -- their love for me, which would I pay more attention to?

I could go on and on Johann, but I really believe that some of us sometimes get so caught up in the whole "JESUS this" and "JESUS that."

Where do PEOPLE figure into the equation?
Now you asked the right question my friend . What is faith . And that you have seen many christains who claim to hve faith in JESUS
and yet .....................
Allow me some parting words .
There once was a man who lived in the hills . One day he woke up and went to turn on his shower
and NOt a drop of water came out .
He goes outside to water his animals , again not a drop of water comes out .
A traveling man comes along about noon . He knocks upon the door of the man .
The man opens his door and says how may i help you .
To which the stranger says Could you spare me a glass of water .
The man then says , OH my dear friend i would give you water only i have no water .
I turned on my shower and nothing and i went outside to water my animals and nothing .
TOwhich the stranger says , YOU have a serious plumbing problem .
The man says yes i do . Sir do you know of a plumber .
The stranger says alas i do . His name is Ricardo Fredrico Lopez . This man can fix any plumbing problem you have dear sir .
So the man thanks the stranger . HE goes back into his house and opens the phone book .
He finds Ricardo Fredrico Lopez , but before he dials he realizes what a minute . There is another Ricardo Fredrico lopez
in this phone book . Then he says another name , same name and another same name .
THEN the man asks himself the GOLDEN question . WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE i mean they all have the same name .
TIME FOR THE CHURCHES TO DO THE SAME THING .
CAUSE far too many been preaching THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST , ONLY its another jesus they sure seem to be following
obeying and believing in .
THUS HOW WE GONNA KNOW WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT JESUS CHRIST .
OPEN THE BIBLE AND GET BUSY LEARNING THAT ONE . cause if any cometh and preaches another JESUS
i got real bad news . IT AINT GONNA SAVE THEM . NAME ONLY . BIBLE TIME . Yes , BIBLE TIME .
LET us learn THAT DOCTRINE , that JESUS , the apostels doctrine . HURRY , cause times RUNNING OUT .

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The irony. How is it that you can describe your own condition so well...and not see it... Psychologists call that projecting.

Are you currently seeing a therapist? On meds?
Enough!! We have folk on here who struggle or have struggled with mental health, and you make light of it and use it a some sort of snarky put down.

You always speak of following Jesus, and I never see any caring from you.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you asked the right question my friend . What is faith . And that you have seen many christains who claim to hve faith in JESUS
and yet .....................
Allow me some parting words .
There once was a man who lived in the hills . One day he woke up and went to turn on his shower
and NOt a drop of water came out .
He goes outside to water his animals , again not a drop of water comes out .
A traveling man comes along about noon . He knocks upon the door of the man .
The man opens his door and says how may i help you .
To which the stranger says Could you spare me a glass of water .
The man then says , OH my dear friend i would give you water only i have no water .
I turned on my shower and nothing and i went outside to water my animals and nothing .
TOwhich the stranger says , YOU have a serious plumbing problem .
The man says yes i do . Sir do you know of a plumber .
The stranger says alas i do . His name is Ricardo Fredrico Lopez . This man can fix any plumbing problem you have dear sir .
So the man thanks the stranger . HE goes back into his house and opens the phone book .
He finds Ricardo Fredrico Lopez , but before he dials he realizes what a minute . There is another Ricardo Fredrico lopez
in this phone book . Then he says another name , same name and another same name .
THEN the man asks himself the GOLDEN question . WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE i mean they all have the same name .
TIME FOR THE CHURCHES TO DO THE SAME THING .
CAUSE far too many been preaching THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST , ONLY its another jesus they sure seem to be following
obeying and believing in .
THUS HOW WE GONNA KNOW WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT JESUS CHRIST .
OPEN THE BIBLE AND GET BUSY LEARNING THAT ONE . cause if any cometh and preaches another JESUS
i got real bad news . IT AINT GONNA SAVE THEM . NAME ONLY . BIBLE TIME . Yes , BIBLE TIME .
LET us learn THAT DOCTRINE , that JESUS , the apostels doctrine . HURRY , cause times RUNNING OUT .
I like what you wrote here, and yes, I get it. But what I don't agree with (Sorry Amigo...:() is "Bible time."

WE can spend all the time in the world with the Bible. Reading it, day after day. On our knees, throwing our hands up to heaven in worship. JESUS, I LOVE YOU!

And yet, come to a forum such as this, and call someone...a fellow BROTHER a "liar." And be snarky...and condescending...

Makes no sense to me.

I mean, didn't Jesus teach us that that's NOT what we're supposed to do? I get the whole "admonish a brother who is wrong" type thing (I'm paraphrasing). But can't we do it with the LOVE that Christ tried to teach us?

I dunno. Maybe I'm just another 'stupid' Christian who doesn't get it...

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
I like what you wrote here, and yes, I get it. But what I don't agree with (Sorry Amigo...:() is "Bible time."

WE can spend all the time in the world with the Bible. Reading it, day after day. On our knees, throwing our hands up to heaven in worship. JESUS, I LOVE YOU!

And yet, come to a forum such as this, and call someone...a fellow BROTHER a "liar." And be snarky...and condescending...

Makes no sense to me.

I mean, didn't Jesus teach us that that's NOT what we're supposed to do? I get the whole "admonish a brother who is wrong" type thing (I'm paraphrasing). But can't we do it with the LOVE that Christ tried to teach us?

This is great!! Pleased to meet you!

Reactions: Mink57 and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Makes no sense to me.

Not stupid by no means. No one on here is.

There are people who have mental handicaps, and mental health problems; atleast that is where I use to work for, people who had mentaly handicaps; that means even online there are some people with those caps.

You speak here with truth and sincerety and that is good, brother or sister. Keep in step by the spirit be wise as serpent but gentle as dove; that to me mean means to be discerning by the spirit and notice quickly. Be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger.

All the best Mink.0

Reactions: Mink57

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I

This is great!! Pleased to meet you!
Well, thanks Cassandra. Pleased to "meet" you, too! *virtually shakes hands* I've read your posts before, and I really liked them.

Hopefully, you get where I'm coming from. *crosses fingers* :)

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not stupid by no means. No one on here is.

There are people who have mental handicaps, and mental health problems; atleast that is where I use to work for, people who had mentaly handicaps; that means even online there are some people with those caps.
O.k. I get that. And I DO try to take that into consideration when I post. Thank you for the reminder.

But by the same token, just because one may not agree with someone else's opinion, doesn't mean they're "mentally handicapped"...or that they "need meds."

If a child can somehow speak 'wisdom' once in a while, can't a 'mentally handicapped' person do the same thing?
You speak here with truth and sincerety and that is good, brother or sister. Keep in step by the spirit be wise as serpent but gentle as dove; that to me mean means to be discerning by the spirit and notice quickly. Be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger.

All the best Mink.0
I am sister, but thank you for not assuming. :)

Quick to hear? Slow to speak? Slow to anger? Yeah, I'm GUILTY of not always abiding by all. I get my 'dander' up from time to time. Usually happens when someone is quoting something from their interpretation of a fact.

While I may not have ALL of the facts, I believe that I have SOME of them.

I dunno, Matthew. I just see Jesus as being more Merciful than so many seem to think.

Reactions: Rita and Episkopos