How to Authentically Speak in Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry chief, but I have bowed out of this conversation.

I do not have the gift of tongues, nor do I seek it, so I got no dog in your fight.
I am just anti-cessationist since "abrogation" is a concept taught in the Qu'ran but not in the Holy Bible, and I am always disappointed when Christians needlessly "bite and devour one another".

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas (commonly translated as "unity in necessary things; freedom in doubtful things; love in all things" or more literally as "in necessary things unity; in uncertain things liberty; in all things charity") is a Latin phrase.

Here is what we all supposed to be united in saying the same thing.

1 Corinthians 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

We all are to share in the same testimony that we all had one drink of the One Spirit that we were all baptized by at our salvation when we had come to & believed in Jesus Christ at the calling of the gospel.

I do not believe the gifts of the Spirit has ceased because we do edify one another; hence the gift of prophesy. Since we do have the scripture, we can certainly be led by the Spirit to share that to edify one another.

But I do not believe the real God's gift of tongues for speaking unto the people to be turned around for private use; let alone gained by seeking after the Holy Spirit to receive after a sign.

If none of the other gifts are exalted to seek after by receiving the Holy Spirit again by that gift apart from salvation, then why only tongues which never comes with interpretation and only assumed for private use when in actuality it is not of Him at all, as that second blessing is not of Him at all either.

There can be no doubt when they depart from that saying in verse 13 by testifying to having another drink of the One Spirit and that was done by doubting their own conversion and wanting a sign that they had received the Holy Spirit that they were saved.

So there is no dog to fight but keeping the faith which is the good fight. Berserk was saved long before that phenomenon which was not of Him

Thank you for sharing that catch phrase in Latin, but to give doubt to what he is sharing is to dissolve that unity.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
A future post will explain why most initiations into speaking in tongues just produce babble that is of the flesh. But my OP will identify 3 proven principles for genuine glossolalia..

Cults teach that the gift of the Spirit "tongues", is a prayer language .
This is a lie.

Lets clear that up., according to the Apostle Paul who teaches about the Gifts of the Spirit.

Paul teaches.....A prayer Language, is "groanings that can't be uttered"........and its for the believers "self edification"

Paul teaches that "the gift of Tongues' is a spiritual gift that you find Peter given in Acts 2. And those Jews who were there during Pentecost, said they heard in their LANGUAGE., what Peter said.
This means that Peter could not speak their language until God gave him the "gift of Tongues'......"Tongues' are a foreign Language, and getting the gift, means, that God causes you to be able to speak a foreign language, "tongues", so that the people who do not speak or understand your language can understand you speaking theirs.
See that GIFT? Thats a foreign language, that you didnt learn, and God gives you this......that is the "gift of TONGUES".

Reactions: Cassandra

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to Authentically Speak in Tongues
I will share my testimony of how I learned to pray in the Spirit.

In my case, I was prayed over in a FGBMFI breakfast meeting to be "baptized in the Holy SPirit" (to use AG Vernacular).

NOTHING HAPPENED.

BUT a couple of weeks later, in a FGBMFI Dinner meeting during "worship", a strange word came into my mind - so I spoke it, and words began to simply flow as I spoke them, and I realized that this was "Tongues". That was 1973. The words are still there, and I can speak them for as long as I please.

HOWEVER, over the last 48 Years, I have never been burdened to deliver a "Message in a tongue" to a congregation, so my "tongues" fit into the "Edify Myself" category. I've never understood why some folks think that's a BAD thing - the more I'm Edified, the more ministry I can give. "Edification" is why folks go to Bible Schools.

Somewhat to my surprise, however, I almost immediately began to Interpret tongues in a Congregational setting, and to speak prophetically. "Tongues" after all fit into the general "Prophesy genre" - i.e. you speak the words the Holy Spirit gives you.

In addition I was propelled into a decade of intense Bible teaching in the "Home meeting" format, which was the real PRACTICAL manifestation of the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit".

I didn't have to "Learn" anything. I simply was obedient to the Holy Spirit, so when he gave me words to speak, I "just spoke them".

Some folks appear to have an emotionally cataclysmic experience. I didn't.

It came gently with no emotion involved. HE was just there.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am just anti-cessationist since "abrogation" is a concept taught in the Qu'ran but not in the Holy Bible, and I am always disappointed when Christians needlessly "bite and devour one another".
Speaking of "biting and devouring",

Mark 7:19 YLT
because it doth not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and into the drain it doth go out, purifying all the meats.'

Acts 10:12-15 YLT
12) in which were all the four-footed beasts of the earth, and the wild beasts, and the creeping things, and the fowls of the heaven,
13) and there came a voice unto him: 'Having risen, Peter, slay and eat.'
14) And Peter said, 'Not so, Lord; because at no time did I eat anything common or unclean;'
15) and there is a voice again a second time unto him: 'What God did cleanse, thou, declare not thou common;'

This would be an example of something abrogated by Jesus, the dietary law. It had initially been given, as best as I can understand it, so everyone (Jew/Gentile) would see a difference between Jews and Gentiles. This was to distinguish them

Jesus came to remove the partition between Jew and Gentile, making of the two of them one new man.

Much love!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
[QUOTE="Bob Carabbio, post: 1233717, member: 7227"

BUT a couple of weeks later, in a FGBMFI Dinner meeting during "worship", a strange word came into my mind - so I spoke it, and words began to simply flow as I spoke them, and I realized that this was "Tongues". That was 1973. The words are still there, and I can speak them for as long as I please.
[/QUOTE]

That's not "tongues'".
THat's a prayer language.

"tongues' are the God given GIFT of the Spirit = to be able to speak a "tongue" that is "unknown" to you for the benefit of someone who can't understand your language.

Reactions: Nancy

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For every one thinking I am a big meanie and all,

Berserk's testimony is one of doubting not only he was saved but doubting those who went up to the altar were truly converted.

Then he shared his testimony of seeking the Holy Spirit by a sign and that is when he said he was saved.

He is unwittingly supporting that false teaching that if you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit and therefore you are not saved.

I say he was saved before he went up there, even though he was in doubt, and he went further astray when he went up there by that apostasy.

He is not preaching Jesus Christ & Him crucified; he is preaching seeking the presence of the Holy Spirit by that sign of tongues for the assurance that you are saved. When you read all of that together, that is basically what he is sharing.

By the grace of God, I cannot let that slide.

For all those who use tongues for private use, I ask you why you are not correcting him since you claim you do not believe in that false teaching that if you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit and therefore you are not saved?

I believe his experience is real and that it happened but look at how he is sharing his testimony, doubting others are truly saved and not just himself.

So what is his solution? It is not believing in Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead. No. It's seeking to receive the Spirit by a sign.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Berserk was saved before he went seeking after the Spirit to receive by a sign of tongues. Whatever made him doubt, it wasn't about doubting in Jesus Christ, but doubting in himself for one reason or another.

The fact that he believes is a work of the Father for why he should know he is saved.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. 38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Since he puts salvation by works, I can see why he would doubt, but Jesus has saved us by believing in Him for why we should not doubt at all.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I believe his experience is real and that it happened but look at how he is sharing his testimony, doubting others are truly saved and not just himself.

The Pentecostal and Charismatic movement will tell you that they have a gift that you dont have........and then they will tell you that this gift is proof of Salvation.
Yet they dont even understand the difference between a prayer language and one of the 9 Spiritual Gifts. "TONGUES".

I'll tell you a fact. And you can check it out Reader.
The Pentecostal and Charismatic movement.......and that is all denominations affiliated, all believe that you can lose your salvation.
And the only way that can happen, is if Christ Lost it, as He is Salvation.
Do you think He'll lose it any time soon?
If He does, then they are right, and if He doesn't, then its interesting that the core theology of these groups, is.... "fallen from Grace", as their Doctrine of Salvation.

Listen....God will tell you that the only proof you are going to heaven, is that you are born again.
Try to stay there after you die, if you are not born again, while "talking in tongues", and you'll find out something the hard way.

ITs not a 'tongue talker" that has eternal security.... as the Devil will be performing such signs and wonders very soon, when he's here, and He's not going to heaven.

Jesus said you must be born again.
He never said....."you must talk in tongues".

Do you want the Gift of a foreign language..>"tongues"
Then go on a mission Trip, to a foreign country and find it necessary to preach.
THEN God has a reason for you to have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra and Nancy

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pentecostal and Charismatic movement will tell you that they have a gift that you dont have........and then they will tell you that this gift is proof of Salvation.
Yet they dont even understand the difference between a prayer language and one of the 9 Spiritual Gifts. "TONGUES".

I'll tell you a fact. And you can check it out Reader.
The Pentecostal and Charismatic movement.......and that is all denominations affiliated, all believe that you can lose your salvation.
And the only way that can happen, is if Christ Lost it, as He is Salvation.
Do you think He'll lose it any time soon?
If He does, then they are right, and if He doesn't, then its interesting that the core theology of these groups, is.... "fallen from Grace", as their Doctrine of Salvation.

Listen....God will tell you that the only proof you are going to heaven, is that you are born again.
Try to stay there after you die, if you are not born again, while "talking in tongues", and you'll find out something the hard way.

ITs not a 'tongue talker" that has eternal security.... as the Devil will be performing such signs and wonders very soon, when he's here, and He's not going to heaven.

Jesus said you must be born again.
He never said....."you must talk in tongues".

Do you want the Gift of a foreign language..>"tongues"
Then go on a mission Trip, to a foreign country and find it necessary to preach.
THEN God has a reason for you to have it.

Just to be clear. when I had posted "I believe his experience is real and that it happened but look at how he is sharing his testimony, doubting others are truly saved and not just himself."... I was not meaning that his experience is of the Lord at all.

But I was unaware that Pentecostals & Charismatics believe they can lose their salvation. I know some preach it here, and not all are related to them. I know of one and that is the one that started the OP.

I think I am on his ignore list for why he is not answering, not sure.

I wish someone would ask him why he was doubting his salvation for why he went up there seeking the Holy Spirit after a sign for salvation.

Perhaps I should start a thread open to all.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Just to be clear. when I had posted "I believe his experience is real and that it happened but look at how he is sharing his testimony, doubting others are truly saved and not just himself."... I was not meaning that his experience is of the Lord at all.

But I was unaware that Pentecostals & Charismatics believe they can lose their salvation. I know some preach it here, and not all are related to them. I know of one and that is the one that started the OP.

I think I am on his ignore list for why he is not answering, not sure.

I wish someone would ask him why he was doubting his salvation for why he went up there seeking the Holy Spirit after a sign for salvation.

Perhaps I should start a thread open to all.

Thank you for your response.

When i was first called to preach and teach i use to wonder this...

"how is it that tongue talkers all believe they can lose their salvation". = 99.998 %
"How is it that tongue talkers have no understanding of why you go to heaven and WHO gets you there, and instead they all ALL believe you can lose your salvation, which means you are doubting that YOU CAN KEEP IT">.......see that?
The only Salvation Doubters, = are those who are not believing in Jesus to keep them saved, = FALLEN FROM GRACE.. or not truly born again...."religious but lost".

Yet, they all screech about "tongues' and "commandments"...and worry about it and want to talk about it obsessively, as its their false Gospel.

It was because i noticed that all "tongue talkers" have no eternal security, no real faith in Christ to get them to heaven, and their entire FAITH is....>"here is what i have to do, to make sure i dont lose my salvation, and OH GOD i hope i dont".

See that??? So how can THAT spiritually backwards mess run around "tongue talking" and it be of God?
How can you have broken faith, devout Legalism...and yet......>"i talk in tongues and here is how to do it".

So, that is a cluster of nonsense and carnal flesh and i hope to GOD that a reader is struck by what i just showed you so that you can get out of that carnal religious phony STINK., and take your family and RUN FROM THAT FAKE NONSENSE.

As a young boy, 16-17, i was taken to an Assembly of God Church for a couple of years.
I have seen with my eyes....the elders......after a service take young kids to a private area, and say...>"Ok, here is what we are going to do......Im going to show you how to "release your tongue", and i want you to do what i do, and let it happen......>HEre we go....>"hosta, hosta, hosta, ....hosta....lashonda hosta lashonda">... And the kids.....well, what else could they do.

This same......

Every Sunday......this woman......she would stand up.......the church would get quiet........It was her time to perform.

She start........Hosta, hosta, hosta lashonda.......hosta lashonda, hostalashonda........over and over for about 2 mins.
Then showtime was over., Till next Sunday.

So, the moral of the story is......God is mystical, and spiritual things are mystical, and "tongues" are real, and Paul talked about "tongues of Angels" and there is a prayer language.... but reader, there is a LOT OF FAKE, and you have to learn to distinguish it from the real.

All you do, is find out if a person believes they can lose their Salvation.
That is 100% proof they are not Trusting in Christ to get them to heaven.
Their faith is broken, and their teaching and preaching will not be of God.
Believe it.

Last edited:

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your response.

When i was first called to preach and teach i use to wonder this...

"how is it that tongue talkers all believe they can lose their salvation".
"How is it that tongue talkers have no understanding of why you go to heaven and WHO gets you there, and instead they all ALL believe you can lose your salvation, which means you are doubting that YOU CAN KEEP IT">.......see that?
The only Salvation Doubters, = are those who are not believing in Jesus to keep them saved, = FALLEN FROM GRACE.. or not truly born again...."religious but lost".

Yet, they all screech about "tongues' and "commandments"...and worry about it and want to talk about it obsessively, as its their Gospel.

It was because i noticed that all "tongue talkers" have no eternal security, no real faith in Christ to get them to heaven, and their entire FAITH is....>"here is what i have to do, to make sure i dont lose my salvation, and OH GOD i hope i dont".

See that??? So how can THAT run around "tongue talking" and it be of God?
How can you have broken faith, devout Legalism...and yet......>"i talk in tongues and here is how to do it".

So, that is a cluster of nonsense and carnal flesh and i hope to GOD that a reader is struck by what i just showed you so that you can get out of that carnal religious phony STINK., and take your family and RUN FROM THAT FAKE NONSENSE.

Do trust the Lord to help you address the issues for correction by the scripture of what the poster has said and stuff in Christ's love.

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Galatians 6:1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Do trust the Lord to help you address the issues for correction by the scripture of what the poster has said and stuff in Christ's love.
2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
Galatians 6:1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

I was warning others, for their sake.

Now,
Did you ever read in the NT, where Christ went into the Temple in Jerusalem and used a whip He made and "drove them out"?
Did you ever read in 2nd Thessalonians were Christ is coming back in "Vengeance and flaming fire" "taking vengeance" on them?
"VENGEANCE".....do you know what this word means?
THAT IS CHRIST doing that........JESUS........"the same yesterday, today, and forever".
THAT ONE.
HIM.

Did you ever read in Genesis where God burned sodomites?
Did you ever read where Paul said to "rebuke them sharply" "so that they be sound in the FAITH"?
Did you ever read in Jude where Jude told the believers to "contend for the REAL Faith".
"contend"......Look that one up.

Christ4me....

one more for you..

Did you ever read in Titus 3, where Paul told leaders to REJECT Heretics, after you deal with them 2-3 times and never let them back into your church as they are "subverted within themselves" and can't be restored or helped, and if you dont get rid of them, they will cause chaos in your church that will divide it and destroy it?

= welcome to the hell bent for leather problem you always find on a "christian forum".

Hello , WAKE UP !!!!

Last edited:

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was warning others, for their sake.

Now,
Did you ever read in the NT, where Christ went into the Temple in Jerusalem and used a whip He made and "drove them out"?

Yes. I could not find it n Matthew or mark but in John for why one member doubted my recollection by the Holy Spirit in me.

John 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Did you ever read in 2nd Thessalonians were Christ is coming back in "Vengeance and flaming fire" to harm people?
Did you ever read in Genesis where God burned sodomites?
Did you ever read where Paul said to "rebuke them sharply" "so that they be sound in the FAITH"?
Did you ever read in Jude where Jude told the believers to "contend for the REAL Faith".

Did you ever read in Titus 3, where Paul told leaders to REJECT Heretics, after you deal with them 2-3 times and never let them back into your church as they are "subverted within themselves" and can't be restored or helped, and if you dont get rid of them, they will cause chaos in your church that will divide it and destroy it?

= welcome to the problem you find on a "christian forum".

I am aware but in these latter days I have found some just give up because they think living the Christian life is by keeping that commitment to follow Him when in actuality, we are to rely on Him all the time for destroying the works of the devil in our lives and He will help us lay aside every weight & sin daily in running that race. That is how we live that reconciled relationship with God and that is through faith in Jesus Christ.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That reference is Paul giving an exaggerated sense to show how important love is or rather not having love in spite of tongues of angels.

1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Another example of an exaggerated sense to show the importance of having love rather than having and being able to do all those things.
Another of your pontifications from ignorance.
First, Paul's Jewish contemporaries believed they could either utter angelic language or understand angelic dialect.
Second, you ignore the point of the Greek in 14:12 that the Corinthian tongues speakers are "zealots of spirits" (=angels) and therefore utter angelic speech. This proves that "the tongues of angels" in 13:1 is no exaggeration.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I am aware but in these latter days I have found some just give up because they think living the Christian life is by keeping that commitment to follow Him when in actuality, we are to rely on Him all the time for destroying the works of the devil in our lives and He will help us lay aside every weight & sin daily in running that race. That is how we live that reconciled relationship with God and that is through faith in Jesus Christ.

Let me show you a spiritual key.

Its this.

FOCUS.

This word, regarding your MIND< means to "set it on".
So, your FOCUS< is whatever your mind is "set upon".
The DEVIL.....has one goal in your life..
To get your FOCUS under HIS Control.
See, If he controls your focus......= what you think about most of the time....then he controls your Mind's time.
What you think about, is your mind spending its time.
This is your Focus, and the Devil will control it, unless you are aware of what you are thinking about....and you notice this.
Once you do, you dont let it slip into carnal thoughts, as that is the Devil's focus for you.
If He controls your focus, YOUR THOUGHT LIFE = he controls you.

2nd.

Here is something you need to FOCUS on, every day.
Its this.

REALIZE """"I am going to meet JESUS.......He is going to take a look at my LIFE, and how i LIVED IT."""""
And in this He is going to FOCUS on what i did for HIM, after i was SAVED, and WHY I DID IT.
Did i do it for attention ?? Did i do these works for God because i got PAID? Did i do it for the applause? Did i do it so that people would think that im "spiritual"?
WHY did i do my works for Jesus....= what was my MOTIVE. ???
And your MOTIVE regarding : "what did you do in MY BODY"....>"the body of Christ"..will be rewarded based on your MOTIVE that Christ reveals.

Example...

Ive all over the world talking about the Cross and im daily sharpening Christians on Forums, and in REAL life.
Its what i do.....its what a minister does.., if he's really anointed.
So, Im going to meet the LORD JESUS THE CHRIST, after i DIE or in the RAPTURE.
HE is going to look at what i did "In HIS BODY">....for Him, for GOD.....and the works will manifest= my MOTIVE.
He will know my motive for every "good deed" i have ever done for Him and The Father.

And i am aware that this is coming to me.
I know it is coming to me....this DAY with HIM.........this evaluation DAY.
So, i FOCUS on this, a bit..........and im aware of it.....a lot.

That day is coming to you also, reader. And if you will focus on this a bit, each day, each week, it will revolutionize your walk with God.
I promise you that...

Reactions: marks

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ4Me: "1 Corinthians 12:29 "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
That should give you pause about seeking tongues as a sign that you have the Holy Spirit to know that you are saved since not all believers speaks in tongues."

You misinterpret this verse to imply that not every believer is intended to speak in tongues and prophesy. That interpretation can be decisively refuted by 2 observations:
(1) Paul assures us "you can ALL prophesy (14:31)" and expresses the wish that they ALL speak in tongues and prophesy (14:5).
(2) Then he shows how strongly he desires them ALL to speak in tongues when he gushes, "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all (14:18)." His point is that, unlike some spiritual gifts, the gifts of prophesying and speaking in tongues are intended for everyone and that is precisely why he urges us to "zealously strive for spiritual gifts like prophesying and tongues 12:31; 14:1).

The only reason he prefers prophesying in church is because private tongues edify only the individual (14:4). For corporate worship, speaking in tongues is just as "great" a gift as prophecy if there is an interpreter (14:5).
"

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ4Me said:
That reference is Paul giving an exaggerated sense to show how important love is or rather not having love in spite of tongues of angels.

1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Another example of an exaggerated sense to show the importance of having love rather than having and being able to do all those things.

Another of your pontifications from ignorance.

We shall see. But thanks for responding.

First, Paul's Jewish contemporaries believed they could either utter angelic language or understand angelic dialect.

And tell me how you can prove that and not just by you saying so?

Second, you ignore the point of the Greek in 14:12 that the Corinthian tongues speakers are "zealots of spirits" (=angels) and therefore utter angelic speech. This proves that "the tongues of angels" in 13:1 is no exaggeration.

Has Paul given all that he has to the poor and burned his body as stated in 1 Corinthians 13:3? No, he has not; hence stating an exaggeration for how important having love is in comparison of doing something like that in the extreme.

As for your imposed translation into the text.

Strong's concordance listed that Greek word for spirit as "from pnew - pneo 4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit:--ghost, life, spirit(-ual, -ually), mind. Compare yuch - psuche 5590."

One can say the same thing about demon, right? Tongues of demons as found in the occult per Isaiah 8:19.

So we have to discern with Him how to apply that term in the context of the message being given.

1 Corinthians 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. 12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

It cannot be tongues of angels in 1 Corinthians 14:12 when tongues is to be used with interpretation in seeking to excel to the edifying of the church. It certainly has nothing to do with speaking to angels for any reasons whatsoever.

May I ask you why at the beginning that you had doubted you were saved before you had that supernatural experience?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Its this.

FOCUS.

See, If he controls your focus......= what you think about most of the time....then he controls your Mind's time.
This is your Focus, and the Devil will control it, unless you are aware of what you are thinking about....and you notice this.
Once you do, you dont let it slip into carnal thoughts, as that is the Devil's focus for you.

2nd.

Its this.

REALIZE """"I am going to meet JESUS.......He is going to take a look at my LIFE, and how i LIVED IT."""""
And in this He is going to FOCUS on what i did for HIM, after i was SAVED, and WHY I DID IT.
Did i do it for attention ?? Did i do these works for God because i got PAID? Did i do it for the applause? Did i do it so that people would think that im "spiritual"?
And your MOTIVE regarding : "what did you do in MY BODY"....>"the body of Christ"..will be rewarded based on your MOTIVE that Christ reveals.

Example...

Ive all over the world talking about the Cross and im daily sharpening Christians on Forums, and in REAL life.
HE is going to look at what i did "In HIS BODY">....for Him, for GOD.....and the works will manifest= my MOTIVE.
He will know my motive for every "good deed" i have ever done for Him and The Father.

That day is coming to you also, reader. And if you will focus on this a bit, each day, each week, it will revolutionize your walk with God.
I promise you that...
I can only put 1 "Like" on the post, but I'm going to print this to share with my wife also.

Much love!

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Its this.

FOCUS.

2nd.

Its this.

Example...

I promise you that...

I believe He is in me and is with me always for why I have hope in Him as my Good Shepherd & Friend to help me to follow Him daily.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ4Me: "1 Corinthians 12:29 "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
That should give you pause about seeking tongues as a sign that you have the Holy Spirit to know that you are saved since not all believers speaks in tongues."

You misinterpret this verse to imply that not every believer is intended to speak in tongues and prophesy. That interpretation can be decisively refuted by 2 observations:

Your comment taken out of quote to better read it.

Berserk says "(1) Paul assures us "you can ALL prophesy (14:31)" and expresses the wish that they ALL speak in tongues and prophesy (14:5)."

To be clear; 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. KJV

In context, it is referring to those who prophesy, not that every one is prophesying. Note the order set for tongues & interpretations.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. KJV

So I have to disagree with you on that one. What Bible version are you using that says "you can ALL prophesy"? Or were you paraphrasing from memory?

Berserk says "(2) Then he shows how strongly he desires them ALL to speak in tongues when he gushes, "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all (14:18)."

That is not what I read in context, brother.

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

His point is that, unlike some spiritual gifts, the gifts of prophesying and speaking in tongues are intended for everyone and that is precisely why he urges us to "zealously strive for spiritual gifts like prophesying and tongues 12:31; 14:1).

Actually he was urging believers to seek the gift of prophesy alone above every other gift.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

Why? Because the gift of prophesy is a stand alone gift in edifying the body of Christ.

12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

The only reason he prefers prophesying in church is because private tongues edify only the individual (14:4). For corporate worship, speaking in tongues is just as "great" a gift as prophecy if there is an interpreter (14:5).
"

I believe from the beginning of the chapter 14, Paul was explaining why believers zealous for spiritual gifts should seek the gift of prophesy by comparing it against tongues because tongues is not a stand alone gift therefore it cannot be for private use if it needs interpretation in the assembly for the tongue speaker to understand it to be fruitful to the tongue speaker himself. That means he is not edified until interpreted.

Status
Not open for further replies.