How to Authentically Speak in Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree 100%. Their attitude reminds me of children who, at Christmas, are jealous that others got a better gift. I feel sorry for them.
Yes, you have been given a special gift that I and most others do not have. And yes, I have to confess to the sin of envy and coveting my brothers' and sisters' gifts (though I know in my heart that the Father loves me too and realize He has given me things others do not have). Now please, use your gifts humbly and wisely and build up your brothers and sisters in the body of Christ. Even when you feel like your brothers and sisters are attacking you. Okay? Peace?

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in the Bible does it say people who wil speak tongues are gifted.

I guess you won’t respond to me as I don’t believe in speaking in tongues unless you are possessed by demonic entity.
What is a gift?
What is a gift from God?

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matt 7:11

"For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that." I Cor 7:7

"Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant." I Cor 12:1

"Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit." I Cor 12:4

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ." I Cor 12:7-12

"Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet show I unto you a more excellent way." I Cor 12:30-31

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you have been given a special gift that I and most others do not have. And yes, I have to confess to the sin of envy and coveting my brothers' and sisters' gifts (though I know in my heart that the Father loves me too and realize He has given me things others do not have). Now please, use your gifts humbly and wisely and build up your brothers and sisters in the body of Christ. Even when you feel like your brothers and sisters are attacking you. Okay? Peace?

Of course peace! I am thankful for what God has given me, but He has given us all Jesus Christ, the best gift by far!

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For use of tongues during corporate worship, 1 Corinthians 14 applies. (For better or worse, we Methodists don't have to worry about this.)

For use of tongues in private prayer, John 21:21-22 is applicable.

21 So Peter, upon seeing him, says to Jesus, “Lord, and what about this man?” 22 Jesus says to him, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!

And I hope to never try to be a peacemaker again.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I do not speak in tongues but I have been given prophetic words about my youngest son, he was 9years old when the words were given. He came to faith this year. I am not going to go into details for them to be picked to pieces by those who do not believe in the gifts. Those words are part of my testimony and now my sons, and they will bring glory to God for his knowledge of what both of us would face and the victory I had to focus on.
Rita

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I will just add that my son is 28 years old x

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For use of tongues during corporate worship, 1 Corinthians 14 applies. (For better or worse, we Methodists don't have to worry about this.)

For use of tongues in private prayer, John 21:21-22 apply.

21 So Peter, upon seeing him, says to Jesus, “Lord, and what about this man?” 22 Jesus says to him, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!

And I hope to never try to be a peacemaker again.
But then again... if God places you in place in need of peace and calls upon you to do it...?

Reactions: Lambano

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JohnPaulL: "Where in the Bible does it say people who wil speak tongues are gifted."

"There are varieties of GIFTS, but the same Spirit (1 Cor. 12:4)."
Paul proceeds to list spiritual gifts, including speaking in tongues (12:8-10).
ed (so 13:1, 8).
"But strive for the greater GIFTS (12:31)."

After again listing spiritual gifts, including tongues, Paul urges them to strive for "the greater gifts." Either he includes tongues among these greater gifts, as 13:1 suggests, or "the greater gifts are distinguished from tongues, in which case speaking in tongues is still a gift. But what are "the greater gifts? Paul makes it clear that prophecy is the greatest gift because of its edifying value for the corporate church. But he also makes it clear that speaking in tongues is just as "great" a gift if it is interpreted! So in that sense, speaking in tongues is included in "the greater gifts" that we must strive for. So John Paul, why aren't you obeying God's Word and striving for the gift of tongues? Hmmm

...and I will show you a more excellent way."

The more excellent way is not an alternative to spiritual gifts, but a stress on the loving way spiritual gifts must be striven for and exercized (so 13:1, 8).

"Zealously strive for the spiritual GIFTS, especially that you may prophesy (14:1)."

The context indicates that prophecy and speaking in tongues are among the gifts envisaged that we must strive for. Thus, Paul urges: "I want you all to speak in tongues (14:5)." But John Paul and his ilk here don't care what Paul wants!

"John Paul: "I don’t believe in speaking in tongues unless you are possessed by demonic entity."

Interpretation of tongues routinely acclaims Jesus as Lord and Paul teaches, "No one speaking by the Spirit...can say, "Jesus is Lord, EXCEPT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT (12:3)." So John Paul and his ilk here are calling Paul a liar!
Paul repeatedly commands us to imitate his spirituality. Well, part of his spirituality is his practice of very frequently speaking in tongues: "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all (14:18)." So the anti-tongues crowd here are blatantly disobeying Paul's command and refusing to follow his example.

How dare John Paul and his ilk imply that private tongues are demonic, when private tongues speakers are lost in praise and adoration for Christ's finished work of atonement on the cross!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JohnPaulL: "Where in the Bible does it say people who wil speak tongues are gifted."

After again listing spiritual gifts, including tongues, Paul urges them to strive for "the greater gifts." Either he includes tongues among these greater gifts, as 13:1 suggests, or "the greater gifts are distinguished from tongues, in which case speaking in tongues is still a gift. But what are "the greater gifts? Paul makes it clear that prophecy is the greatest gift because of its edifying value for the corporate church. But he also makes it clear that speaking in tongues is just as "great" a gift if it is interpreted! So in that sense, speaking in tongues is included in "the greater gifts" that we must strive for. So John Paul, why aren't you obeying God's Word and striving for the gift of tongues? Hmmm

The more excellent way is not an alternative to spiritual gifts, but a stress on the loving way spiritual gifts must be striven for and exercized (so 13:1, 8).

"Zealously strive for the spiritual GIFTS, especially that you may prophesy (14:1)."

The context indicates that prophecy and speaking in tongues are among the gifts envisaged that we must strive for. Thus, Paul urges: "I want you all to speak in tongues (14:5)." But John Paul and his ilk here don't care what Paul wants!

"John Paul: "I don’t believe in speaking in tongues unless you are possessed by demonic entity."

Interpretation of tongues routinely acclaims Jesus as Lord and Paul teaches, "No one speaking by the Spirit...can say, "Jesus is Lord, EXCEPT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT (12:3)." So John Paul and his ilk here are calling Paul a liar!
Paul repeatedly commands us to imitate his spirituality. Well, part of his spirituality is his practice of very frequently speaking in tongues: "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all (14:18)." So the anti-tongues crowd here are blatantly disobeying Paul's command and refusing to follow his example.

How dare John Paul and his ilk imply that private tongues are demonic, when private tongues speakers are lost in praise and adoration for Christ's finished work of atonement on the cross![/QUOTE]

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How dare John Paul and his ilk imply that private tongues are demonic, when private tongues speakers are lost in praise and adoration for Christ's finished work of atonement on the cross!
I don't care what anyone has said that quoted my post including @Pearl I still don't believe in speaking in tongues as its my right not to believe in.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't care what anyone has said that quoted my post including @Pearl I still don't believe in speaking in tongues as its my right not to believe in.
If you are a true Christian is really your right to undermine the Holy Spirit by deny his gifts. Just because you don't have them or been touched by them does not mean they don't exist.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are a true Christian is really your right to undermine the Holy Spirit by deny his gifts. Just because you don't have them or been touched by them does not mean they don't exist.
I've been touched by God and Christ, that is enough for me, I don't need gifts or miracles to believe I simply just believe.

I've seen people who claim they speak in tongues, and you can tell they are making it up and just speaking gibberish.

Sorry if I've offended you and others on this forum, but that is where I stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.