How to debate the Bible: for beginners

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of the time I see people on the forum discussing interpretation of the scriptures and sometime various sins.

What I do not see is discussions about the applications of Christian beliefs in motion and what we should do to lead a good Christian life.

So I am asking that question….What should we do to lead a good Christian life? What does a good Christian life look like?

I am not talking about theology. I am not talking about prophecy. I am not talking about sin or demons.

If you were explaining it to a new Christian, what would you tell him or them to do?
here is was peter wrote 3 His divine power his own glory and goodness. 4 By these he has given us very great and precious promises,so that through them you may share in the divine nature, escaping the corruption that is in the world because of evil desire. 5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with goodness, goodness with knowledge, 6 knowledge with self-control, self-control with endurance, endurance with godliness, 7 godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being useless or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 The person who lacks these things is blind and shortsighted and has forgotten the cleansing from his past sins. 10 Therefore, brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election,because if you do these things you will never stumble. 11 For in this way, entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be richly provided for you. we cant do it on our own..
If you were explaining it to a new Christian, what would you tell him or them to do?
the truth you can live the life it takes lots discipline. but your still going to mess up. but its not the end of the world . explain 1 john 1:7 & 9 and that we have a
advocaTE . GRACE IS THERE TO HELP US BACK UP IF WE SIN.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do we want to include God in our lives?
How do we make God part of our life?

Reading and studying the Bible and praying is what keeps a Christian strong in faith and always learning and growing. God's Word says to meditate on His Word day and night! And to pray without ceasing!

Fasting is also a good tool in growing closer to God. As we meditate on His Word and come to Him about everything, we grow closer to Him and know His voice more and more. As a Christian grows in Christ, following and obeying Him becomes second nature.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So do we want to include God in our lives?
How do we make God part of our life?

Good thread...and I am keeping my eye on this space.

I agree with you...so many want to talk 'about' God the bible and about 'christian things'...but so few seem interested in God Himself and the deeper things of life 'in Him'.

It will be quite interesting to who is 'interested' or even responds to this thread.

I find there are only a small group of those I call ' God Chasers' on here. ..and,so many 'good people' have come on here , and then gone again :(

I'm finding that most of the threads on here are dry and appeal to the intellect more than the 'the heart that pants after him'. ( "as the hart pants after the water brooks...")

Whoops , I have digressed from the title subject... :oops:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most of the time I see people on the forum discussing interpretation of the scriptures and sometime various sins.

What I do not see is discussions about the applications of Christian beliefs in motion and what we should do to lead a good Christian life.

So I am asking that question….What should we do to lead a good Christian life? What does a good Christian life look like?

I am not talking about theology. I am not talking about prophecy. I am not talking about sin or demons.

Taking responsibility for their own sins AND the sins of the world. We can't divorce ourselves from humanity when it suits us.

So we ought to stay away from self-justification. We are responsible to be a witness of Christ to whatever degree we have been called to. We are called to tell the truth...without lying. (I find that many Christians in fact lie as they are taught to in order to support their self-righteous stance...adding sin to sin)

A believer is required to be humble and fear the Lord. To not judge others who are different. (again dogmatic believers are taught to judge people on the basis of being saved or not...which is a false way to see people)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we can't. Actually, we can, but not really. However, we can.

Through Grace by faith we can. Through faith we can have a PERFECT Christian Life accounted toward us. But in the flesh, we will never live up to even "good" status.

What we can do is out God first in all things. That is the key. We can still stumble in the flesh (and we will) but if we consistently put him and his will first, we can live a good Christian Life.

There are many who were called "righteous", but none that were perfect in the flesh. Yet, they put God first in all things although their flesh failed.

Putting God first involves many things. It involves learning of him, worshipping in spirit and truth, being a giver, praying and at times fasting. It involves understanding that Christ is in you and also your brethren. So treating the brethren as you would Christ is part of it.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Apply this chapter to his or her life.

1 THESSALONIANS 5
1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as
do others; but let us watch and be sober.
7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.
11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake.
And be at peace among yourselves.
14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all
men.
15 See that none render evil for evil unto any
man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
16 Rejoice evermore.
17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesyings.
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and
I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful
is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am moved to say "Little children, don't worry about it.
God is always there to take maximum advantage to work within you.
And he will do so in like measure to your openness to allow him"
The Bible is jam packed with potent exhortations and, at every point in your walk of faith, God's Holy Spirit will spring to life the one that is pertinent to your particular readiness .
I can quote you the one that God's Holy Spirit is currently springing to relevance for me.
So too can each of us.
But, for 'you', God's Holy Spirit can only spring to relevance the one that is relevant to 'your' current walk of faith.
Just always 'constantly abide' in order to always be as receptive as possible to what God considers you to be 'ready for'.

(and whilst I was typing this post see that others such as FHII were saying much the same thing)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the time I see people on the forum discussing interpretation of the scriptures.
Presumed knowledge (interpretation of scripture) shall pass away.
"We only know and prophesy in part, but when He who is perfect comes, then that which is in part shall be done away. For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face. Now we know in part; but then shall we know even as also we are known".

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread...and I am keeping my eye on this space.

I agree with you...so many want to talk 'about' God the bible and about 'christian things'...but so few seem interested in God Himself and the deeper things of life 'in Him'.

It will be quite interesting to who is 'interested' or even responds to this thread.

I find there are only a small group of those I call ' God Chasers' on here. ..and,so many 'good people' have come on here , and then gone again :(

I'm finding that most of the threads on here are dry and appeal to the intellect more than the 'the heart that pants after him'. ( "as the hart pants after the water brooks...")

Whoops , I have digressed from the title subject... :oops:

I agree with you.
I realize I am posing questions as we go along but, this young couple has a Bible but they say they cannot understand it. What should we do? Their moms and dads were not religious.

Where would you---ALL---tell them to start in the Bible.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you.
I realize I am posing questions as we go along but, this young couple has a Bible but they say they cannot understand it. What should we do? Their moms and dads were not religious.

John...then Matthew...then Romans...then Galatians. Then, wherever the Holy Spirit leads them.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Presumed knowledge (interpretation of scripture) shall pass away.
"We only know and prophesy in part, but when He who is perfect comes, then that which is in part shall be done away. For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face. Now we know in part; but then shall we know even as also we are known".

Thanks Mike
[[[To everyone]]]
I am not asking anyone to name a denomination....but for them and the kids....what do they need to look for in a church?
What size church
What preaching methods should the pastor use
Some churches have youth ministers
Some churches have councilors and group to address addictions and emotional traumas
Some churches have crisis lines
Some churches have organized prayer rooms
Some churches are big on anointing with oil and healings
Some churches have choirs and talented musicians and singers
Some churches have the stage that they can put on plays for Easter and Christmas
Some churches have nurseries
Some churches have gyms like for basketball and volleyball...etc
Some churches have Christian cafes
Some churches are open 7 days a week
Some churches have Sunday Schools by age groups
Some Sunday School age groups form Bible study dinners at their home and social activities. Women's lunches.... game nights for the men
Church organized picnics....summer camps....boat rentals on the lake
Travel....church organized bus trips to historic sites---Baseball and Football games
Day passes at the theaters

Suggestions:

JBF suggested anointed worship and solid preaching/teaching of the word.

What do "you all" think they should be looking for?
What do "you all" think of these activities?
Do you think any or all are important?

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dont know how one can attend something they are. We the people are the church, everything else is by man for man.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

eyes on Christ, Jesus is the Life God gave, anything else is a "Christian" according to men. therefore read your bible Jesus says to follow Him.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am moved to say "Little children, don't worry about it.
God is always there to take maximum advantage to work within you.
And he will do so in like measure to your openness to allow him"
The Bible is jam packed with potent exhortations and, at every point in your walk of faith, God's Holy Spirit will spring to life the one that is pertinent to your particular readiness .
I can quote you the one that God's Holy Spirit is currently springing to relevance for me.
So too can each of us.
But, for 'you', God's Holy Spirit can only spring to relevance the one that is relevant to 'your' current walk of faith.
Just always 'constantly abide' in order to always be as receptive as possible to what God considers you to be 'ready for'.

(and whilst I was typing this post see that others such as FHII were saying much the same thing)

thumbup1[1].gif

Excellent post...agree..He is always there for us "In due season" as the need arises. All we have to do is to keep our ear tuned so we don't miss it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

When I was newly saved I was advised to read and re-read the gospel of John as if Jesus was speaking it right to me. After I'd read it a couple of months I moved on to Galatians.... :)