How to debate the Bible: for beginners

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is so foreign to me to use scripture in the manner you do so here. I guess I can only say...you went looking for proof that you are holy and you found proof that you are holy and I guess you can thank God now that you are holy and can prove yourself to be holy. Peter said be holy in your conversation, and so peter himself declared you are holy. God said be holy because I am holy, so God Himself declared you are holy. I don't know what I can say, you have done a bangup job of proving yourself to be holy, which is a splendid way to use scripture.

I was going to leave out psalm 86 because I think it's not a great translation, but I guess it doesn't matter. A PSALMIST called himself holy which is more proof that you yourself are holy.
Ha! I'm not saying that I myself am holy; only that it is possible to be holy and that this attribute is not limited to the Lord God.

The Holy Spirit comes to dwell in vessels that are holy.

2Ti 2:20, But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
2Ti 2:21, If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha! I'm not saying that I myself am holy; only that it is possible to be holy and that this attribute is not limited to the Lord God.

Okay. So, holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God. But also, holy, holy, holy is...well, not you but...some man somewhere....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We call the Lord holy on a different level than we call the saints holy.

The saints are holy in that we are sanctified by the Holy Ghost (see Romans 15:16, 2 Thessalonians 2:13).

God is holy in that His holiness is inherent in Himself.

Reactions: marks

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so, holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, and holy, holy, holy is...well, not you but...some brethren somewhere...
I am saying possibly me....inasmuch as I am one of the holy brethren.

I am not saying that this is necessarily true of me...but that it is possibly true of me.

I do not consider myself to have apprehended. But the fact that I have this attitude precludes that I may indeed be perfect. Philippians 3:15 and context.

Reactions: marks and Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course the Lord wants us to be holy on the same level as He is holy...and I do not believe that He would command it to be necessary without making it possible.

Reactions: marks and Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See 1 Corinthians 6:17, Ephesians 3:19-20, and Ephesians 5:30-32; also Romans 5:11.

cont'd from #135.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no way for God to give a man His holiness so that the man then has his own holiness apart from God. It is always only God who is holy. But if you are in Him, walking in the Holy Spirit, His holiness can be displayed in you and you are not walking in your own holiness, you are walking in His holiness. I wouldn't say He imparts it but that you walk in it because you are in Him...not sure if displayed is the best word...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I guess I see the apostles as men who displayed Gods holiness. His holiness was seen in them...