How to debate the Bible: for beginners

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So a question? Why did Annais and Saphira get zapped dead and I don't get zapped dead?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...just the sin that you confessed within the post (that you took the name of the Lord in vain).

Do you think that I did not right away repent and ask His forgiveness??
He has already forgiven me.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And that should produce fear of God and a desire to not mess with holiness. It makes me think, nah, I'm good right here where I am, being trained and exercised in righteousness, you won't hear any talk from me about how I'm way holier than I used to be. And oddly, that very seriousness is, I suspect, training for maybe entering into holiness one day, so you WONT get zapped dead.

There is a strange verse Paul uses about the unbelieving spouse being made holy.

1 Corinthians 7:14
For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

Paul regarded children as being holy of believers, so if they died they would not be condemned to the 2nd death.
In this way, equally in faith we are holy. Our holiness is embedded in our faith in Jesus rather than in our actions.

The verse about praying for the sins of others to be forgiven, but not sins that lead to death, ie murdering someone,
seems to suggest holiness is present in a way we do not fully understand. Some have expressed it that the Holy Spirit
infers holiness though our behaviour may not.

Sins in the law are largely actions, things done, while we often condemn ourselves through attitudes and feelings.
Jonah preached to Nineveh yet his attitude was not gracious, but he was Gods holy prophet.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that I did not right away repent and ask His forgiveness??
He has already forgiven me.
Yes...

When the opportunity to obey 1 John 5:16 (or any other verse) arises, do we not obey, however?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this way, equally in faith we are holy. Our holiness is embedded in our faith in Jesus rather than in our actions.

I haven't seen a verse that convinces me of this. I read of the righteousness that is by trust. I think I have at least a tenuous grasp on that. But I don't see that God says a man is holy through trust.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the OT it says that the LORD will not hold you guiltless. However, I do believe that Acts of the Apostles 13:39 does come into play here.

cont'd from #90.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you did not lie to the Holy Spirit?? :D

Heh...I actually have. In my fervency and desire I can say I didn't know I was lying, but still, I was not struck dead. I've lied to other believers too in the past. But I wasn't zapped dead.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even though I do not subscribe to John Piper's Calvinistic views, he still has some awesome insight in other areas. He puts what I would like to in my own words, much better than I could. Here is a short article on Holiness and Righteousness:
God Is Holy and Righteous — Are Those the Same?

Lol. That's not good practice for being able to explain what you believe and why you believe it. That's more like waving a tract in my face haha! :p

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't seen a verse that convinces me of this. I read of the righteousness that is by trust. I think I have at least a tenuous grasp on that. But I don't see that God says a man is holy through trust.
Man is holy by virtue of a new creation, Ephesians 4:24, " . . . and put on the new man, which is created in God's pattern, in righteousness and true holiness."

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Ephesians passage, when I read it, does not incline me to say I am holy. I'm fine with you being inclined to say you are holy after you read it. That's not my takeaway though. I absolutely do not read it and then want to announce I am holy or try to convince anyone else they are holy.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather, the "set of clothing" that I am wearing is now holy...I am robed in His righteousness (the new man).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Ephesians passage, when I read it, does not incline me to say I am holy. I'm fine with you being inclined to say you are holy after you read it. That's not my takeaway though. I absolutely do not read it and then want to announce I am holy or try to convince anyone else they are holy.
It simple tells us about what God has done for those He has redeemed, and whether you believe that is up to you, that's all.

I realize that you may not look holy to yourself, you may not feel holy, but our walk is by faith and not by sight.

I assure you that if you were to adopt God's view of yourself, and trust Him moment by moment, you will find holiness manifested in your life, moment by moment, as a life lived in righteousness. If you do not trust Him in this, I don't think you'll see much of it. At least that's how I've come to learn that we live consistently in holiness and in righteousness.

I truly and dearly hope that you will take this to heart.

Much love!