How to Get Along With Believers You Disagree With

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I find amusing about Catholics like him is how defensive they can be. They say the gates of hell will not prevail against the Catholic Church but then act nervous as if they need to defend every tiny shortcoming of other Catholics. I find self-confident Catholics a pleasanter lot -- and indeed often fine witnesses for Christianity.
The same things, I guess, may be seen at times in many non-Catholic followers of Christ. When I was a young Pentecostal, my first assembly had a day where everyone went out together to witness in the downtown area to anyone and everyone who would listen. I was scared to death and that did not pass away until it was time to quit and go home. I did not know anything and was afraid someone who did know something would ask me for specifics about my "faith". Some people I guess never get past that place, be they Catholic or other, because they have not been growing toward God. I don't go out like that anymore just to witness, but when the occasion has come up, I have had something always ready questions placed... unless I missed my morning time with God.

Being close to God is not based on knowledge of the Bible or the catechism or the particular creed of one's church group. Those things may be helpful, but without the important things such knowledge would truly be worthless in the work of God.

Reactions: Giuliano

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There you have it. If someone shows up wanting to be a troll, then they have no business being here.

As to differences between believers, we have to live and let live, and agree to disagree, without going round and round the mulberry bush. I generally state my position and what I believe to be the truth. I have no interest in debating, and the childish notion that last one to post wins.
Yes, there is time to be silent... and sometimes it will arrive after we have spoken our piece... but worse for us before we have even begun to talk. Being able to recognize that and obey the lead of the Spirit can be difficult. God help us. Jesus lived the example of this for when they were accusing him falsely he stayed in his Father's will by remaining silent. Can we do this?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was on a good one for a couple of years, ChristianChat. But the owner was considering letting the members vote on who they wanted banned. When I explained to a woman questioning that action (via PM) that the reasoning was likely to keep paying members happy, she ratted me out to RoboOp, the owner, who immediately banned me before I could type one more word. I think I hit the nail right on the head, since he had 83,000 subscribers at that time, and it was likely a very sensitive (and lucrative) subject he didn't want brought out in the open. As I recall, he was making more money than the president of his country.
Yes, unfortunately there are people who will set things up right... but then if and when money starts to flow through them they lose their good heart and replace it with the love of money. I would guess this has happend to people long before there were computers or an Internet or Christian forums. It is simply the nature of beast which the old man is.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
From a writing more than 8 years ago

If we were not speaking of people who attended a particular assembly, but rather of people who are together regularly because of circumstances, such working for the same employer, or living next door to each other, the answer of requiring someone to 'leave the assembly' wouldn't work.

Consider the differences among the members of any Christian forum, present and past.

In some forums, we have, or have had, universalists [everyone saved in the long run], Once Saved Always Saved, non-trinitarians [such as myself], Mormons, atheists and witches [self-proclaimed]. Also we have seen Roman Catholics, Orthodox Catholics, 7th day Adventists, etc.

The sharply different doctrines held by some of these could easily [and has in the past] result in some very un-Christ-like words being posted. Yet, for all of this, on some such forums, many have remained over long periods of time. Some of the instigators may push the forum rules beyond the limits of almost anyone and have to be removed from membership.

Banning people is, in my opinion, a poor choice for resolving differences, but unfortunately, sometimes there are no easy or realistic alternatives for the decision makers.

No one should be required to compromise their own beliefs to please someone other than God. No one but God is able to set straight anyone who is wrong in what they believe... and even God will not force a person to act against his own will.

People who insist that they cannot serve God without insulting others need to consider more carefully the example of Jesus when He walked this planet some 2000 years ago.

It is usually for a lack of love one toward another [charity] that people end up being banned. Jesus loved Judas, even though He knew before the betrayal that Judas was to be His betrayer! Judas did hear the same spoken words from the lips of Jesus as the others did! Apparently he never allowed them (at least some of them) to be written in his heart.

It has been many years since my own natural children lived at home, but I know that even when they were very evil in their actions, I always still loved them. Loving a child must of necessity include the ability and the will to chastise them properly when they have done wrong.

We are not usually each other's natural children on the forum, but we should attempt treat each other as Jesus treated Judas all of the time. We really are our brother's keeper! If we are uncertain as who is or who is not our brother, wouldn't it be better to treat the person as a brother?

'Do onto others that which you would have them do onto you!'

Jesus did this "Do onto others" thing better than anyone, but we should or could have the gift from God to do the same. If we do not, it is not the fault of God who would willingly give us the needed increase.

To turn the other cheek doesn't mean to smite your apparent offender in the same manner that he smote you!

One verse says, "...Resist the devil and he will flee from you..." [James 4:7]

Another verse says, "...Resist not evil..." [Matt 5:39]

The verse in James, I believe, refers to us needing to resist the temptations, which are found in our flesh, which want us to do things to please ourselves rather than to please God. Jesus did this by using the sword, which is the Word of God, a weapon [two edged] for both offense and defense.

The verse in Matthew, I believe, refers to not attempting by our own strength or will or power to overcome an enemy. We cannot win by this means, many, or even any, battles for God.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Eph 6:12

Also...

Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel [me or you], saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." Zech 6:4
How I have failed...

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How I have failed...

Amen! Very good, short and to the right point...

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." I Cor 13:1-3

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I find amusing about Catholics like him is how defensive they can be. They say the gates of hell will not prevail against the Catholic Church but then act nervous as if they need to defend every tiny shortcoming of other Catholics. I find self-confident Catholics a pleasanter lot -- and indeed often fine witnesses for Christianity.

Amen..we have a good handful on here...it is good when the divisions are forgotten and we are all -" Christians on the same Path often limping our way Homeward. "

It seems that only those with a 'drum to beat' ( of any belief system) make a song and dance about which church they are representing.

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Understood, but then that person banned would perhaps be the kernel of one more denomination. How many is that now? Latest count? Don't answer those questions.

You say that one has to bite the bullet in certain types of disagreements situations, but why must that be the case? Maybe you mean that a person who is submitted to God upon recognizing another person's obstinacy should simply remain silent rather to persist in an argument which would edify no one.

No I said that sometimes it is personal dislike of another Christia. Some people do not get along and in those situations when one is forced by church activities to be with such a person one must bite the bullet and be polite.
If there was an activity or words said then that can be taken to the elders.
Sometimes one has to accept that some people go through life unaware of the hurt they cause by there words and actions, attempts to explain are meet with disbelieve and cries of " Oh no you got it wrong etc etc etc"

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No I said that sometimes it is personal dislike of another Christia. Some people do not get along and in those situations when one is forced by church activities to be with such a person one must bite the bullet and be polite.
Sometimes one has to accept that some people go through life unaware of the hurt they cause by there words and actions, attempts to explain are meet with disbelieve and cries of " Oh no you got it wrong etc etc etc"

I used to get bothered by that...I felt "I should love them, not get irritated by them"....
I prayed about it , and felt the Lord show me that the people I don't get drawn to are not my personal 'bone to bone'... my ankle bone would not fit comfortably is my shoulder ...it has to be in it's own correct place.
Many, even on this Site 'click' with me and I find the 'comfortable' as a correct bone kind of thing, ...I no longer worry about those that 'rub me the wrong way....they just aren't my next bone.

This 'picture' works better yet in the live church environment.
I no longer care about the aloof unfriendly members...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, my bad then. I misunderstood your starting premise. Carry on.