How to Judge "Political Bias"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certain media outlets are labelled as being politically bias - so what does that mean? How can we tell if it is true? or which way they lean?

Let's start with Fox News and NPR.......

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I see it is Fox News and NPR are extremes of both sides.

How so? What is conservative about FOX? What is liberal about NPR? How do you determine what you believe?

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
How so? What is conservative about FOX? What is liberal about NPR? How do you determine what you believe?

That is how they're perceived by both sides. The liberals and Democrats view Fox as the far right, and conservatives and Republican's view NPR as the far left and most liberal of them all. I use to listen to NPR but they got rid of my buddy Juan. So now I watch or listen to them all except NPR and limite my intake of CNN on national issues because they are too compassionate towards the Muslim's.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
If a person were honest they would acknowledge that Fox News puts more liberals in front of the camera ON A REGULAR BASIS than MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, and CNN use conservatives COMBINED.

- Alan Colmes
- Bob Beckel
- Geraldine Ann Ferraro
- Susan Estrich (who herself has made this very point more than once)
- Ellis Henican
- Mara Liasson
- Ellen Ratner
- Juan Williams
- Giraldo Rivera (yes, he claims to be 'conservative' but supports illegal immigration, removal of gun rights for Americans, legalizing pot, and the lie that Clinton was impeached because he got oral sex, and not the truth - that it was because he lied under oath in front of a grand jury. Something that would get you or I jail time.)

This is the list just off the top of my head. There are two or three others, as well.

Yes, people like Hannity and even O'Reilly and Beck lean right.

But they are balanced by people such as Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnel, (recently fired) Keith Olberman, and scores of others on CNN and Headline News (offshoot of CNN) such as the lunatic Joy Behar who lean way left.

Why, I wonder, wasn't MSNBC chosen in addition to or instead of NPR.
Let me say it again in another way: I wonder why those who whine about FOX leaning right are not whining about those stations with these people leaning left.

Chris Matthews talked about Obama giving him a thrill up his leg and Ed Schultz stated that he would support voter fraud to keep the Republicans out of office. http://www.huffingto...n_n_426068.html

NPR is in the spotlight because they have shown their prejudice (and even had it videotaped) and though they make millions every single year ($220 million just off Sesame Stree merchandising alone) for some reason the federal government is funding them with tens of millions of additional dollars every single year.

NPR argues that people shouldn't complain because it is such a small amount. Well if it is so small, then quit taking it.
Increase your fundraising.

Say what you want about Fox News, but when you skip over the "commentator" shows such as Hannity, their straight news programs are very good.
That is why they have been the preference for the majority of Americans tuning into television to get information on election results, natural disasters, international conflicts, you name it.

Feel free to disagree, but you would have no choice but to admit that the news segments are AT LEAST as balanced as the straight news segments on CNN, MSNBC, or elsewhere.

What it comes down to is this:

Dont' like FOX? Don't watch it. It lives and dies by revenue. Perhaps your little protest will have an impact.

Don't like NPR? Don't watch it. But your tax dollars are still (unfairly) being given to them.

Tell me, which is more fair?

And save me the "we need to ensure all sides are heard from" tripe. That may have been truly even 20-30 years ago, but with the available multi-media outlets and almost unlimited access to every side of every issue by someone with a TV, PC or smart phone, the days of needing to prop up NPR to make sure "the word gets out" are long over.

Oh, and one question I would ask: Does anyone remember who broke the story of Bush's previous drunk driving arrest just days before the 2000 election and was the first to run it on their news? You guessed it: Fox.
How dare they be so bias!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is how they're perceived by both sides.

I am skeptical, but....even if it was true, is this a good enough reason to form an opinion of your own? What information have you viewed on Public broadcasting that is "liberal"? How about conservative information or bias on Fox?

The liberals and Democrats view Fox as the far right, and conservatives and Republican's view NPR as the far left and most liberal of them all.

Why?

I use to listen to NPR but they got rid of my buddy Juan.

Ok - this is a good point - Juan Williams was fired from NPR for making statements on FOX News - NPR came up with their own reasoning, but far more than conservatives suspect that NPR really didn't like Williams association with FOX. I also suspect that office politics played a role in Williams firing, but how does this help you determine if the product of NPR is liberal?

So now I watch or listen to them all except NPR and limit my intake of CNN on national issues because they are too compassionate towards the Muslim's.

So you have made your decision about NPR - I am not questioning your decision, but I am still trying to nail down some examples of liberal bias in the programing - also,since you still watch msnbc (I am assuming), have you noticed a liberal bias?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person were honest they would acknowledge that Fox News puts more liberals in front of the camera ON A REGULAR BASIS than MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, and CNN use conservatives COMBINED.

- Alan Colmes
- Bob Beckel
- Geraldine Ann Ferraro
- Susan Estrich (who herself has made this very point more than once)
- Ellis Henican
- Mara Liasson
- Ellen Ratner
- Juan Williams
- Giraldo Rivera (yes, he claims to be 'conservative' but supports illegal immigration, removal of gun rights for Americans, legalizing pot, and the lie that Clinton was impeached because he got oral sex, and not the truth - that it was because he lied under oath in front of a grand jury. Something that would get you or I jail time.)

This is the list just off the top of my head. There are two or three others, as well.

So are you saying that FOX is less bias than comparative media outlets because they have liberal guests?

Yes, people like Hannity and even O'Reilly and Beck lean right.

But they are balanced by people such as Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnel, (recently fired) Keith Olberman, and scores of others on CNN and Headline News (offshoot of CNN) such as the lunatic Joy Behar who lean way left.

So, there are conservative commentators on FOX, but they are outnumbered by rivals and a "lunatic" on another station?

Why, I wonder, wasn't MSNBC chosen in addition to or instead of NPR.

This is a fair question. I chose to start with NPR rather than msnbc for several reasons:

1. I lean liberal and therefore, have a harder time seeing liberal bias than conservative bias. There is nothing subtle about the liberal bias on MSNBC - at least, not in my eyes so I was hoping to get some insight into NPR.

2. I am planning to talk about all media outlets - this thread is not about deciding who is liberal and who is conservative (of course it plays a small role), but more about how we determine bias in the media.

Let me say it again in another way: I wonder why those who whine about FOX leaning right are not whining about those stations with these people leaning left.

I don't think anyone is whining, but to answer your question; I think it is difficult for all people to see their own bias and the bias of people they identify with, which is one of the main reasons I started this thread; to talk about how we determine bias and think about our own bias. I am also interested in the role bias plays in delivering the news - is it necessary? Is the presence of bias a limiting fact in presenting the full story? Does the presence of an opposing bias nullify the message?

NPR is in the spotlight because they have shown their prejudice (and even had it videotaped) and though they make millions every single year ($220 million just off Sesame Stree merchandising alone) for some reason the federal government is funding them with tens of millions of additional dollars every single year.

Funding for NPR is an interesting question, but not really apart of this discussion.

Say what you want about Fox News, but when you skip over the "commentator" shows such as Hannity, their straight news programs are very good.

What makes them good?

That is why they have been the preference for the majority of Americans tuning into television to get information on election results, natural disasters, international conflicts, you name it.

Are there any other reasons that are preferred?

Feel free to disagree, but you would have no choice but to admit that the news segments are AT LEAST as balanced as the straight news segments on CNN, MSNBC, or elsewhere.

So FOX is bias - just like everyone else? This sounds more like a defense than a way of determining bias. FOX is not under attack here.

Oh, and one question I would ask: Does anyone remember who broke the story of Bush's previous drunk driving arrest just days before the 2000 election and was the first to run it on their news? You guessed it: Fox.
How dare they be so bias!

I agree that FOX does have a solid record of controlling negative information before it's rivals can break a story - most media outlets try to do this.

So how do we determine bias in the media and is it a positive force? Is it inevitable?

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
I am skeptical, but....even if it was true, is this a good enough reason to form an opinion of your own? What information have you viewed on Public broadcasting that is "liberal"? How about conservative information or bias on Fox?

Why?

Ok - this is a good point - Juan Williams was fired from NPR for making statements on FOX News - NPR came up with their own reasoning, but far more than conservatives suspect that NPR really didn't like Williams association with FOX. I also suspect that office politics played a role in Williams firing, but how does this help you determine if the product of NPR is liberal?

So you have made your decision about NPR - I am not questioning your decision, but I am still trying to nail down some examples of liberal bias in the programing - also,since you still watch msnbc (I am assuming), have you noticed a liberal bias?

He got fired for a comment that I agree with him on. Muslim's often pull dry runs just to see how people react. Do you know what that is? What Juan expressed was a real concern to him as it should be to all American's. NPR is definitely liberal because of their political correctness attitude toward homosexuality and religion.

I notice a liberal bias in MSNBC, ABC, and CNN. It's not always there but noticeable. I'm a centrist and typically don't like extremes of either side. And the more any of them show compassionatism toward Islam, the more I avoid them.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He got fired for a comment that I agree with him on. Muslim's often pull dry runs just to see how people react. Do you know what that is? What Juan expressed was a real concern to him as it should be to all American's.

Yeah...I agree with you that his firing was more about how his former bosses felt about William's association with FOX than they admitted.

NPR is definitely liberal because of their political correctness attitude toward homosexuality and religion.

Ok - now I am understanding better. The fact that NPR does not condemn homosexuality and sometimes presents programming about homosexuals and is much more concerned about homosexual equality, rather than the rights of people who are opposed to homosexuality; contributes to the label of being liberal. I know this seems obvious to you, but I am having to think about it!

Also, the religious pluralism in the programming shows a liberal bias......ok, I guess I see that.

I guess I view homosexuality and religious pluralism as part of a free society. My conservative friend will not vote for anyone for President who is for abortion. The guy could be as conservative as possible in all other areas, but if he was for abortion, my friend called him a liberal.

To me it seems rather extreme - it would be like an agnostic calling all people of faith, conservative.

I notice a liberal bias in MSNBC, ABC, and CNN. It's not always there but noticeable.

For me, msnbc is definitely liberal - Rachal Maddow for example was interviewed by Jon Stewart; with two liberals, you would think that they could have a clear, non threatening discussion about bias - but Rachal simply could not see her bias. Stewart asked her to level with him about her left wing message and she simply could not see it. She was polite and really tried to see it, but in her mind, she was in the center.

As far as ABC and CNN - I see them as secular - certainly! But, I think secular is different than liberal. I am liberal, but I am not secular.

I'm a centrist and typically don't like extremes of either side.

Give me examples - liberal extreme and conservative extreme - what makes them extreme?

And the more any of them show compassionatism toward Islam, the more I avoid them.

What is the moderate response to Islam? Or should we take an extreme position?

Hmm...I think I am starting to see why people believe NPR is bias. If you are not Christian or patriotic or promote Christian values, you have a liberal bias. That means that any news organisation that simply reports the news like the Associated Press is liberal - wow! We sure have changed over the past 50 years - back during the age of modernism, secular, non-opinionated news was considered unbias.

So is FOX News bias? It provides conservative topics, promotes Christian values, and declares itself to be patriotic......I would say yes. So is that good? Maybe we have reached a point where we need our news and information presented to us with an obvious bias, as long as it is a bias we agree with.

I don't like it.....but maybe there is no choice.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
I notice that no one objected to this particular phrase. I don't either, but I am curious as to what you mean by it? Can you give me an example or two?

A dry run is when 6 to 8 Muslim's board a plane and two of them get in the very back of it on each side, then two in the middle, and then two up front, and maybe two in first class. You can tell that they make a point of it being noticed. Some people have objected to it while the plane was taxying to the runway and demanded to get off the plane because the Muslim's were chanting to Allah in Arabic. I have a good article on it if I can find it. I've seen other dry runs where a Muslim would go register hs car carrying a full size suitcase to the registry when all you need is a few documents. NPR fired my buddy Juan for having a concern about this.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

You're kidding. Right?

A dry run is when 6 to 8 Muslim's board a plane and two of them get in the very back of it on each side, then two in the middle, and then two up front, and maybe two in first class. You can tell that they make a point of it being noticed. Some people have objected to it while the plane was taxying to the runway and demanded to get off the plane because the Muslim's were chanting to Allah in Arabic. I have a good article on it if I can find it. I've seen other dry runs where a Muslim would go register hs car carrying a full size suitcase to the registry when all you need is a few documents. NPR fired my buddy Juan for having a concern about this.

I see what you mean. True, unfortunately.

I have been more aware of the Muslim tendency to test laws and/or to cause them to be modified in the courts to their advantage.
If an effort to make or change a law fails they pause and then try again later. Sometimes there is no attempt to mask the similarity.

They don't take NO for an answer.