How to know the will of God for your life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey folks,
This week our church's podcast was on this very subject (link below). This question get's asked a ton and if it's something you struggle with, please listen in. It's 100% free, no solicitation at all.

Here are some talking points from the discussion:
  • Purposes for seeking God's will
  • Why isn't God revealing what I'm called to do?
  • Confirmation (or lack thereof) from others
  • The Will and the Word
  • Getting consistent answers
  • Guidance from the Holy Spirit
  • Behind the scenes
  • A spirit of discernment
If you have anything you'd like to add, please do!
God bless and keep you all :)

Reactions: Nancy

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know I struggled for a long time with God's grand plan for me. Of course we always want to know God's will on other matters (should I change jobs, should I have another child, should I volunteer at church, etc.) but I wanted to know the BIG plan, the calling that each of us is given. During the podcast, I talk abut how I got through that. If that's something that's troubling you, I pray this will bring you comfort.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey folks,
This week our church's podcast was on this very subject (link below). This question get's asked a ton and if it's something you struggle with, please listen in. It's 100% free, no solicitation at all.

Here are some talking points from the discussion:
  • Purposes for seeking God's will
  • Why isn't God revealing what I'm called to do?
  • Confirmation (or lack thereof) from others
  • The Will and the Word
  • Getting consistent answers
  • Guidance from the Holy Spirit
  • Behind the scenes
  • A spirit of discernment
If you have anything you'd like to add, please do!
God bless and keep you all :)

Hi Misty,
That's a tall order, lol. For myself, I find too many "answers" vague as to that it could be both ways. The only guidance from The Holy Spirit I seem to sense is "conscience", knowing right from wrong and choosing the right thing. I've still no idea what His plan is for me, not a clue.
I think many are more sensitive to hearing Him. I USED to think I was hearing from Him when it turned out that it was not from Him so, I simply pray that my choices live up pleasing Him. Nothing else to do I'd say. Hope you will get others to reply here as most of them DO recognize His voice much better.
God Bless

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Misty,
That's a tall order, lol. For myself, I find too many "answers" vague as to that it could be both ways. The only guidance from The Holy Spirit I seem to sense is "conscience", knowing right from wrong and choosing the right thing. I've still no idea what His plan is for me, not a clue.
I think many are more sensitive to hearing Him. I USED to think I was hearing from Him when it turned out that it was not from Him so, I simply pray that my choices live up pleasing Him. Nothing else to do I'd say. Hope you will get others to reply here as most of them DO recognize His voice much better.
God Bless
Hi Nancy! The Bible says "my sheep know my voice". Rest assured that God WANTS to speak to you and tries repeatedly; however, getting through the "static" on our end is difficult. There is a lot you can do to learn to recognize (or tune in to) the voice of God. Please don't give up! Go to the podcast and listen to the episode on How Do I Hear the Voice of God. I believe every child of the living God can hear from him God is not a respecter of persons (meaning he doesn't play favorites). I remember when I wasn't sure about hearing His voice and it's a struggle early on, but the more you develop a relationship with God (get to know Him as a friend as well as a father), the more you will be able to discern His voice. If you listen to the message and you're still struggling, I'd be happy to help you. After you learn to tune in to that still small voice, you'll be amazed at what God has to say to you!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Misty,
God Bless
We only need at any given moment to be able to see our next step... not all of the steps!

"Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." Matt 13:13-16

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is so true. God doesn't reveal every nuance of the grand plan. He guides us one step at a time and we can't expect to have revelation for step 10 when we aren't obedient at step 2!
Like Christian in Pilgrim's Progress we may see the Light at the end of our course, which is our goal, but there is likely a whole lot of unknown and dangerous territory in between us and that Light. One step at the time as God leads and directs us!

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like Christian in Pilgrim's Progress we may see the Light at the end of our course, which is our goal, but there is likely a whole lot of unknown and dangerous territory in between us and that Light. One step at the time as God leads and directs us!
Absolutely. we move from faith to faith. God wants us to cast our care and trust Him to lead :)

Reactions: amadeus

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I remember being part of the Baptist church basically as a new church adherent. Most of the folk there were talking about ministry and what Gods will was for their lives. I was amazed by the different callings that members believed they had. Some said that they were going to be ministers, others said missions and still others said healing ministries etc.

I was very concerned because I didn't know what mine was so asked someone what they thought Gods will was for Me. The guy I was talking to at the time did not know but he did say that I needed to ask God and I did. Every day I asked God and then one day after 3 months, he finally said to me, "Your ministry is to listen to my voice and obey my will"

Well I didn't think that that was very cool and I said that to him. He then asked me to think of all the christian leaders/ ministers that I look up to or admire. So I started telling him of all those christians who were in ministry that I thought were awesome. Then he asked me what they did. I replied, well they heal the sick, they cast out demons, they break bondages, they raise the dead etc. He asked me again, what do they do? Now I was getting a bit confused by then and repeated what I had said before.

Then he said to me "they listen to my voice and they obey my will". At that very moment I had an open vision. I saw a man of God walking down a line of people at the front of a church service. This man of God was listening to the Holy Spirit and I could hear the Holy Spirit saying to him, "pray for this one and no pass that one and pray for the next one" I also heard the Holy Spirit say to the man of God, " the woman sitting on the second row in the service, she is wearing a red dress, tell her to come up the front, I am going to heal her today".

Then the vision disappeared. God spoke to me again and said, "they listen to my voice and they obey my will. You go and do the same". "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you".....and I've been doing that ever since. Blessings

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every day I asked God and then one day after 3 months, he finally said to me, "Your calling is to listen to my voice and obey my will"
Amen.

Thank you for reminding me. I was lamenting before God in prayer that I don't have any really cool spiritual gifts or useful talents for ministry. In the only time I remember hearing an audible voice, He said, "If all you have to offer is your hands, make them available to Me when I need them, and it will be sufficient."

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'll have to check it out :)
Thanks for the suggestion.
Nurturing the ability to think laterally; to see humour easily and to laugh at oneself Misty, is helpful....even in understanding the scriptures.

I played with the title of your thread as I do with others just for the purpose of awakening a different way of seeing.....frivolous though it may be.

Be strong!

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nurturing the ability to think laterally; to see humour easily and to laugh at oneself Misty, is helpful....even in understanding the scriptures.

I played with the title of your thread as I do with others just for the purpose of awakening a different way of seeing.....frivolous though it may be.

Be strong!
OH I adore humor and laugh at myself all the time. My gullibility had me laughing at myself yesterday lol.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Here is a good verse on this subject: "For this is the will of God, even your sanctification" (1 Thessalonians 4.3).

In the end it's a Godward matter....

Reactions: Azim