How to pray

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

radkison

Jul 28, 2021
biloxi ms
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer is something that is required in order to have fellowship with our Creator. But, it's also something that can seem difficult at times. At least for me. How do you pray? What are some things that you do to feel the presence of the Spirit in your time of prayer? I'm currently reading a book on this subject.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer is something that is required in order to have fellowship with our Creator. But, it's also something that can seem difficult at times. At least for me. How do you pray? What are some things that you do to feel the presence of the Spirit in your time of prayer? I'm currently reading a book on this subject.

Hello @radkison , and welcome to CB!
This is something that seems to be one of the biggest areas where we are attacked. We want so badly to get into fervent, effective prayer every day, and several or many times a day. The enemy comes in and you are suddenly drowsy or, someone walking by says something on their phones loudly and the dogs bark. So, personally, I say a little prayer before I actually pray, lol. I ask for little to no distraction so I can pray fervently. It usually does work but then, I am easily distracted by noise, phone...
Anyhow, don't make yourself a law by committing to praying at certain times of the day as, you can pray no matter where you are or what you are doing :) and, you might get down on your self if you miss a couple...easy peezy, lemon squeezy...pray at all times for all men everywhere!
God bless you brother and, this is of course my own opinion.
This is not at all to say that you should not seek Him deeply and alone with Him when you can...

radkison

Jul 28, 2021
biloxi ms
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @radkison , and welcome to CB!
This is something that seems to be one of the biggest areas where we are attacked. We want so badly to get into fervent, effective prayer every day, and several or many times a day. The enemy comes in and you are suddenly drowsy or, someone walking by says something on their phones loudly and the dogs bark. So, personally, I say a little prayer before I actually pray, lol. I ask for little to no distraction so I can pray fervently. It usually does work but then, I am easily distracted by noise, phone...
Anyhow, don't make yourself a law by committing to praying at certain times of the day as, you can pray no matter where you are or what you are doing :) and, you might get down on your self if you miss a couple...easy peezy, lemon squeezy...pray at all times for all men everywhere!
God bless you brother and, this is of course my own opinion.
This is not at all to say that you should not seek Him deeply and alone with Him when you can...

thank you for your input

Yes, distractions come easy these days. It's so difficult to make sure I set aside the phone and focus just on Him. Technology is both a blessing and a curse.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thank you for your input

Yes, distractions come easy these days. It's so difficult to make sure I set aside the phone and focus just on Him. Technology is both a blessing and a curse.

Totally agreed about the tech.!!

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Keep in mind that telling God what he should do and treating him like Santa Claus is primitive. Being thankful however for the blessings you have, for his protection and his forgiveness, for his great gift of Salvation and guidance, changes the way you see and hear.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One of the problems is we make prayer a ritual rather than letting it be what is it. Fellowship and communication with father. The scripture says to pray without ceasing. One day it dawned on me what that meant. Every moment of the day is a an opportunity to pray. If we restrict prayer to rituals in certain places at certain times we miss the point of it. I can and do pray driving the car. Doing the shopping. Going for a walk. Going for a swim. Watching TV. Reading a book. maybe I have to buy something and I have a choice of two alternatives. So I pray, which one. I am talking to someone, shall I mention Jesus to him? If he is not ready to hear, no point.

For the beleiver, the whole of life is a prayer meeting and one sentence walking along the street can be a prayer. I was asked to pray for someone in hospital. My prayer? Lord do what only you can do. No yelling or shouting like pentes tend to do. No rote prayers like the catholics do.

Make your life a prayer meeting and take the ritual out of it and you are on to the instruction to pray without ceasing.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget that short, direct prayers can be effective too. When I realized my prayers didn't have to be long and flowery, I began to pray more.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Welcome to the forum.

I think there are different kinds and different ways people Pray.

Kinds meaning;
* Prayers FOR anothers well being, comforting, healing, etc. (whether or not the other IS or IS not Converted "IN CHRIST".)
* Prayers FOR ones self...(which for myself, I typically, like to search the Scriptures on the particular topic, discover first what Gods direction is on the topic. Think about it (without distractions) and then Pray FOR more specific guidance.
* Prayers FOR Gods Understanding...(which relates back to Searching Gods Knowledge in Written Scriptures, and Asking for His meaning/Understandings.)
* Prayers TO God...Blessing Him, acknowledging His Blessing upon me, Thanking Him, expressing my Love and Reverence TO Him.
(I'm sure many of us Talk about Loving the Lord...I wonder how many actually say TO the Lord, "I love you Lord". )
* Prayers TO God...Confirming my Agreement with Him. That His WILL be done.
* Prayers TO God...For my Nation. (Sick hearted for the reality of the corrupt, immoral state of my Nation and World too....Seek Gods comfort for me to have more patience....Until God Himself is totally fed up and ends this madness.)
* Prayers TO God...to Bless the things He has given me, that I do well in caring FOR and sharing WITH others.

WAYS of Prayer -
I don't require a special building, or a statue, or photo, or some other trinket to remind me, or particular clothing, altar, particular day, particular time....Don't need to shout it out, or be seen by others....Don't need to light a candle, burn incense, roast a lamb, drink some wine, hoot and holler .

* 24-7 anytime, anyplace, in my bathrobe drinking coffee, in the field digging dirt all sweaty and grubby, traveling to visit family.... continually have conversations with God,
My Buckler, My Shield, My ROCK.

Anyway, that is my perspective.

Glory to God,
Taken

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One of the problems is we make prayer a ritual rather than letting it be what is it. Fellowship and communication with father. The scripture says to pray without ceasing. One day it dawned on me what that meant. Every moment of the day is a an opportunity to pray. If we restrict prayer to rituals in certain places at certain times we miss the point of it. I can and do pray driving the car. Doing the shopping. Going for a walk. Going for a swim. Watching TV. Reading a book. maybe I have to buy something and I have a choice of two alternatives. So I pray, which one. I am talking to someone, shall I mention Jesus to him? If he is not ready to hear, no point.

For the beleiver, the whole of life is a prayer meeting and one sentence walking along the street can be a prayer. I was asked to pray for someone in hospital. My prayer? Lord do what only you can do. No yelling or shouting like pentes tend to do. No rote prayers like the catholics do.

Make your life a prayer meeting and take the ritual out of it and you are on to the instruction to pray without ceasing.
July 29th...my son's birthday. His mother and I had discussed an abortion. We made the right decision! :)

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You pray from the heart, whatever issues come to heart and God says in everything gives thanks so you give thanks too. I do it in the end so you present your requests to God and give thanks, pour out to God if you wish, and praise gets to God, when you show appreciation of God for who and how he is in general and/or to you.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I talk to God. Pray, I guess. He appreciates me being real with Him. He is not taken aback by what I say. He already knows what's in my heart.
He is my Father and I am His child. He won't reject me. When I am hurting, He wants me to talk to Him about it. Or when I'm afraid or lonely. He once spoke to me in a nearly audible voice, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
One thing that I have learned in life is this: He is faithful...to me.
Father, Holy Spirit, Son; rejoice, the Lord our God is One!

Reactions: amadeus