How to recognize a Legalist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Its the same principle when dealing with a fake believer...or a Fake Pastor, or a Fake Pope... a false denomination.....ect.

Reader, All you do is notice one thing.....just Discern one single thing.....= Does this person believe that what Jesus <>Alone<> did on the Cross keeps them saved, or are they denying this, and teaching some version of Self SAVING to try to KEEP THEMSELVES SAVED.

The Legalist (heretic), will occasionally promote the idea of Jesus saving you, but beyond that is where they put on the brakes and build a wall of lies by twisting scriptures into a "list" of self saving Grace denying heresy.

Here is the Holy spotlight that reveals the Legalist. = 100%
A Legalist will never be able to agree, admit, believe, or accept.... that Jesus KEEPS THEM SAVED.

LEGALISM, is simply Faith that self effort keeps you saved. And this self effort will include a long list of things to do....such as "keeping the commandments, enduring to the end, keeping the Torah, being obedient, living holy, and on and on, the List just keeps on going and growing"...

So, what has happened is, this person, if they were ever born again, has come to a place in their mind where they now believe that THEY are to keep themselves saved by Performance and Deeds, and Self effort. They have literally replaced Jesus and The Cross, with themselves and their LIST of "must do this, must keep that, have to be sure i confess and repent, and do do do works works works, to KEEP THEMSELVES SAVED.
See it?

Listen, You are ether trusting in Christ ALONE to get you into heaven, or you have become a "self saver" a Legalist, who has your little cut and paste scripture pack list of things you will say you have to do, to get yourself into heaven and to keep from losing your salvation.
You have rejected Philippians 1:6
You will try to chop down The Cross with your self effort and your scripture twisting, especially with respect to Hebrews, Matthew, and James, as all Heretics live in those 3 epistles and could not explain or even find Paul's teaching on "justification by Faith", if they used a Laser beam and a flashlight.

A Legalist has kicked Jesus off the Cross, and is now up there being a "self saver".
Thats a Legalist.
Paul said these people are "fallen from Grace" as they have LEFT GRACE far behind and have nailed themselves to their own cross with their Self Righteous Nails .
""Look at ME, im up here on the Cross trying to KEEP MY SELF SAVED, TRYING TO NOT LOSE MY SALVATION...by my SELF EFFORT".

Once you learn to SEE THIS in a person's THEOLOGICAL concept of "salvation", then you will know if YOU are a Legalist, or if you are dealing with a Real Believer who understands Grace, or if you are listening to a person who has rejected God's Grace, and has replaced Jesus on the Cross with their list of "self effort to keep themselves saved".

Thats a heretic, and they are very easy to define and spot, once you learn how to notice them.......once you learn how to discern them..

<B><

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its the same principle when dealing with a fake believer...or a Fake Pastor, or a Fake Pope... a false denomination.....ect.

Reader, All you do is notice one thing.....just Discern one single thing.....= Does this person believe that what Jesus <>Alone<> did on the Cross keeps them saved, or are they denying this, and teaching some version of Self SAVING to try to KEEP THEMSELVES SAVED.

The Legalist (heretic), will occasionally promote the idea of Jesus saving you, but beyond that is where they put on the brakes and build a wall of lies by twisting scriptures into a "list" of self saving Grace denying heresy.

A Legalist will never be able to agree, admit, believe, or accept.... that Jesus KEEPS THEM SAVED.

LEGALISM, is simply Faith that self effort keeps you saved. And this self effort will include a long list of things to do....such as "keeping the commandments, enduring to the end, keeping the Torah, being obedient, living holy, and on and on, the List just keeps on going and growing"...

So, what has happened is, this person, if they were ever born again, has come to a place in their mind where they now believe that THEY are to keep themselves saved by Performance and Deeds, and Self effort. They have literally replaced Jesus and The Cross, with themselves and their LIST of "must do this, must keep that, have to be sure i confess and repent, and do do do works works works, to KEEP THEMSELVES SAVED.
See it?

Listen, You are ether trusting in Christ ALONE to get you into heaven, or you have become a "self saver" a Legalist, who has your little cut and paste scripture pack list of things you will say you have to do, to get yourself into heaven and to keep from losing your salvation.
You will try to chop down The Cross with your self effort and your scripture twisting, especially with respect to Hebrews, Matthew, and James, as all Heretics live in those 3 epistles and could not explain or even find Paul's teaching on "justification by Faith", if they used a Laser beam and a flashlight.

A Legalist has kicked Jesus off the Cross, and is now up there being a "self saver".
Thats a Legalist.
Paul said these people are "fallen from Grace" as they have LEFT GRACE far behind and have nailed themselves to their own cross with their Self Righteous Nails .
""Look at ME, im up here on the Cross trying to KEEP MY SELF SAVED, TRYING TO NOT LOSE MY SALVATION...by my SELF EFFORT".

Once you learn to SEE THIS in a person's THEOLOGICAL concept of "salvation", then you will know if YOU are a Legalist, or if you are dealing with a Real Believer who understands Grace, or if you are listening to a person who has rejected God's Grace, and has replaced Jesus on the Cross with their list of "self effort to keep themselves saved".

Thats a heretic, and they are very easy to define and spot, once you learn how to notice them.......once you learn how to discern them..

<B><
Welcome to the forum.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

See it?

Thats a Legalist.

<B><

I see your own legalism. You would have Jesus remain on the cross and your self being free because of it. No one is saved IN their sins...but away from them. But Jesus died once....and that for the whole world...not just they who say they "believe." But all who DO the will of the Father are accepted by Him. And a true follower of Christ is crucified to this world. It isn't just Jesus who WAS crucified...now it is WE who ARE crucified....these are the elect. So rather than seek to exploit Jesus's sacrifice...we become that sacrifice for others in the world. We are to be the light in the world in our time as Jesus was in His time. As He overcame so are we to overcome.

Only they who obey the gospel can partake of His kingdom...not just they who claim they believe.

So then you seem to have a mere religion of avoidance to obedience to God. And that is done by exchanging the truth for a dogmatic ideology that seeks to use Jesus as a "lamb of man" rather than honouring the lamb of God.

So then Jesus is not OUR sacrifice as you seem to want to treat Him. Jesus is the Lamb of God. And God judges the world...not we. No one is finally saved before the end of their race (life). It is heretical to teach otherwise. He who endures to the end will be saved.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The penalty for sin is death.

You are speaking about after you die?
The penalty for rejecting Christ while you were alive is John 3:36.

This is one of the interesting things about the scripture where Jesus says.. "if you do not believe that i am the Savior, Messiah, then you will die IN your sins".
Thus, if you die in unbelief, you meet God as eternal judge, and you end up in Hell, then the Lake of Fire all based on ONE sin....
Many think that you go to Hell for being a sinner, but, actually you go to Hell for only one sin.. This is the sin of Rejecting Christ.
As when you do that, then ALL your sins are On you, vs, "Christ bore and became our sin on the Cross".
That one sin.....Christ rejection, rejects the pardon of all your sin which God offers for FREE, thru the blood of Christ for them ALL.
So, back we go to "if you do no believe i am Messiah, Savior, then you will die IN you sins".

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
So then Jesus is not OUR sacrifice as you seem to want to treat Him. Jesus is the Lamb of God. And God judges the world...not we. No one is finally saved before the end of their race (life). It is heretical to teach otherwise. He who endures to the end will be saved.

Im not sure what you are teaching.. Is it mormonism or JW?
Here is a fact for you...... Jesus died for the sin of the world. John 3:16
Sin is committed by Sinners.
The Blood of Jesus, an the Death of Jesus, redeems us (removes the Judgment due us for our sin), ...
Being Born again is the result of Jesus's blood sacrifice being applied to every one who will Give God their Faith.
"faith is counted as Righteousness".
You do not have any righteousness. So, you can't go to heaven until you get Righteousness. Salvation is "the Gift of Righteousness".
God as Christ on the cross is taking your sin and in place of this, THRU New Birth, He is giving you "the gift of Righteousness".
This is the result of "Justification by Faith".
We dont earn this, and we can't of ourselves keep it by living holy or being good., as our self effort cannot deal with our SIN.
Jesus Did.
Today, Resurrection Day, we celebrate this fact.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

See it?

Thats a Legalist.

<B><
Yes, one must know what true legalism is, not what the popular consensus says it is.

Legalism is adding or detracting anything from the complete salvation Christ gives to those whom he saves.

Speaking to a person a while back about being diligent in study and Bible reading, he misconstrued this as legalism. No, diligence isn't legalism because it is not adding to the gospel, nor is it counting on diligence as having a saving effect. Instead of diligence, this person offered up a passive ho-hum attitude about Scripture reading to the point that anything above passivity became legalism.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yes, one must know what true legalism is, not what the popular consensus says it is.

Legalism is adding or detracting anything from the complete salvation Christ gives to those whom he saves.

Speaking to a person a while back about being diligent in study and Bible reading, he misconstrued this as legalism. No, diligence isn't legalism because it is not adding to the gospel, nor is it counting on diligence as having a saving effect. Instead of diligence, this person offered up a passive ho-hum attitude about Scripture reading to the point that anything above passivity became legalism.

Here is something else you'll enjoy.
I'll post a Thread about this, i think..
Jude 1 : defines one of the signs of the end times, as this stiff resistance to the Gospel of Grace, by heretics who castigate it as "license to sin".
So, in the last 15 yrs, the True Gospel or as Paul stated "my Gospel"... 2 Timothy 2:8 = "justification by faith".. "the GIFT of righteousness" has been demeaned, spit on, refused, hated, and scorned as "cheap Grace" and a few other titles..
So, we see that in these very end times, just before the Beast shows up, you can't even go on a Christian Forum if you are truly Born again, and not have a fist fight with so called "believers" who hate Paul, deny Grace, and try to chop down The Cross with their "self saving" Legalism heresy.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Legalism in my view is an alleged Christian imposing on me, a law given to an ethnic group several thousand years ago, that God neglected to make me aware of prior to salvation.

Apparently God didn't see it as necessary for me at the time. My question is when scripture says all are condemned under the law, how can this be viewed as speaking to gentiles that were never given the law?

Reactions: Giuliano

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is something else you'll enjoy.
I'll post a Thread about this, i think..
Jude 1 : defines one of the signs of the end times, as this stiff resistance to the Gospel of Grace, by heretics who castigate it as "license to sin".
So, in the last 15 yrs, the True Gospel or as Paul stated "my Gospel"... 2 Timothy 2:8 = "justification by faith".. "the GIFT of righteousness" has been demeaned, spit on, refused, hated, and scorned as "cheap Grace" and a few other titles..
So, we see that in these very end times, just before the Beast shows up, you can't even go on a Christian Forum and not have a fist fight with so called "believers" who hate Paul, deny Grace, and try to chop down The Cross with their "self saving" Legalism heresy.
Yep. Yet there is a push here now for everyone to set aside their differences for "unity." Let's face it, it isn't setting aside differences, it is setting aside doctrine.

Not happening here.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism in my view is an alleged Christian imposing on me, a law given to an ethnic group several thousand years ago, that God neglected to make me aware of prior to salvation.

Apparently God didn't see it as necessary for me at the time. My question is when scripture says all are condemned under the law, how can this be viewed as speaking to gentiles that were never given the law?
It means the entire world is guilty before God.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yep. Yet there is a push here now for everyone to set aside their differences for "unity." Let's face it, it isn't setting aside differences, it is setting aside doctrine.

Not happening here.

Jesus told the true believers that our enemies would be in our on homes, meaning that you'll find self righteous Grace Rejectors in your on family that will tell you that Grace is "license" and we must keep this and do that and by our performance we are "keeping ourselves saved".
So, certainly If mom or dad can be exactly like that, then people outside our family, including hundreds of Christian denominations that lie to their members about "cheap grace" or "water regenerates the spirt", or whatever else they can swap for the Blood Atonement.....

so, yeah, God is the giver of Righteousness, Jesus is the sacrifice thru which God redeems the Born again, , and Faith is all that God accepts to do this for us as "the gift of Righteousness". ... Philippians 1:6

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are dead in their sin and transgressions....

You are speaking about after you die?
The penalty for rejecting Christ while you were alive is John 3:36.

This is one of the interesting things about the scripture where Jesus says.. "if you do not believe that i am the Savior, Messiah, then you will die IN your sins".
Thus, if you die in unbelief, you meet God as eternal judge, and you end up in Hell, then the Lake of Fire all based on ONE sin....
Many think that you go to Hell for being a sinner, but, actually you go to Hell for only one sin.. This is the sin of Rejecting Christ.
As when you do that, then ALL your sins are On you, vs, "Christ bore and became our sin on the Cross".
That one sin.....Christ rejection, rejects the pardon of all your sin which God offers for FREE, thru the blood of Christ for them ALL.
So, back we go to "if you do no believe i am Messiah, Savior, then you will die IN you sins".

Reactions: amadeus

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told the true believers that our enemies would be in our on homes, meaning that you'll find self righteous Grace Rejectors in your on family that will tell you that Grace is "license" and we must keep this and do that and by our performance we are "keeping ourselves saved".
So, certainly If mom or dad can be exactly like that, then people outside our family, including hundreds of Christian denominations that lie to their members about "cheap grace" or "water regenerates the spirt", or whatever else they can swap for the Blood Atonement.....

so, yeah, God is the giver of Righteousness, Jesus is the sacrifice thru which God redeems the Born again, , and Faith is all that God accepts to do this for us as "the gift of Righteousness". ... Philippians 1:6
Some facilitate the license accusation since many preach you can live however you wish after salvation.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I fully understand that, but the legalistic say thou shalt not!!!! ??? Is why they would reference a law never given to them?

We are born , each of us, "under the law". When we are saved, this Law has no more authority to judge us as being a "sinner".
"you are no longer under the Law, but now under GRACE".
so, Grace, is the new law for the Born again. It now has dominion OVER us, and keeps us JUSTIFIED as "in Christ", before God.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
People are dead in their sin and transgressions....

The Law reveals each of us to be a "sinner".
Grace reveals us to be "as Jesus is So are we in this World".... as this is the spiritual effect of the Blood Atonement.
Its the LAW and Commandments that JUDGED us as "sinners".
So, the finished work of Jesus on the Cross is to "Christ has redeemed us from the CURSE of the LAW".
The Law said...You are guilty before God and you will be JUDGED in ETERNITY.....So, God as Christ came here, died on the Cross taking THAT ETERNAL JUDGEMENT upon Himself for "the sin of the World".
Jesus was judged on EARTH.. on THE CROSS, so that the Born again will never be Judged in ETERNITY for their sin.
Today is Resurrection Day, the day we celebrate Christ doing this.... John 3:16