How to recognize a real Teacher... Pt 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a separate note, I think that @Behold thinks that he is the only one that anyone will listen to here eventually; at least he is vying to monopolize all of the teaching here on these boards.
He has a very specific focus. But I don't think anyone has the capacity to monopolize teaching on this forum. I think about the assertiveness of many members, not to mention, Ignore is always an option.

If we come to faith in Jesus Christ by taking the step of confessing our sins; and this brings forgiveness; then do you assume that unconfessed sin is forgiven from that point forward?

No, I don't assume that.

Let me ask you. Are you aware of every sin you commit? I don't know that I am. Things which I realize are sinful now weren't on my radar in the past. I don't really feel any sense of assurance that I'm sufficiently astute and self-aware to be certain that I know when I sin.

It may be something I intended for good was actually disobedience to God.

And yet, I'm told that I can come boldly to the throne for timely help. I'm told that He will never leave me nor forsake me. How can these things be so?

And what of it, that we were reconciled while unrepentant enemies of God? This is seriously meaningful as you realize the implications.

Much love!

Reactions: mjrhealth

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He has a very specific focus. But I don't think anyone has the capacity to monopolize teaching on this forum. I think about the assertiveness of many members, not to mention, Ignore is always an option.

No, I don't assume that.

Let me ask you. Are you aware of every sin you commit? I don't know that I am. Things which I realize are sinful now weren't on my radar in the past. I don't really feel any sense of assurance that I'm sufficiently astute and self-aware to be certain that I know when I sin.

And yet, I'm told that I can come boldly to the throne for timely help. I'm told that He will never leave me nor forsake me. How can these things be so?

And what of it, that we were reconciled while unrepentant enemies of God? This is seriously meaningful as you realize the implications.

Much love!
First of all, Jesus made it a condition of reconciliation that we repent (Luke 13:1-5).

Secondly, we become aware of sin as we expose ourselves to light. The Holy Spirit convicts.

And, our position in Christ is not dependent upon our relationship / koinoneia fellowship / connectedness.

That is something that we want to keep so that we do not get so hardened by sin that we would not believe any more; for in such a case we would not have salvation (any more?).

Hebrews 3:7-14 indicates to us that sin can have a hardening effect on the heart; and I personally believe that if a heart is hardened too much it can result in unbelief (as much as I might be called a heretic by the singular heretic on these boards for saying so); and without faith (belief), a man cannot be saved.

James 1:12-14 testifies to this also (as much as the singular heretic on these boards would admonish you to stay away from the book).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, Jesus made it a condition of reconciliation that we repent (Luke 13:1-5).

Except, that's not what this passage tells us.

13 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus was answering something else entirely.

About reconciliation . . . we were reconciled to God while His enemies. Why wouldn't we still be reconciled to God being His errant children?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but I fail to see what he was answering if not salvation.
Jesus was clarifying that these people did not die, and others live, because some were better or worse than others, but that all were under the sentence of death, and only repentance could bring life.

Repentance in the New Testament is the Greek word metanoia, a compound of meta, which is the preposition translating to after, noia is the mind, so the literal translations of repentance is the "after-mind". The idea is as the result of an exchange. Meta as a prefix does that to a word. In this use, metanoia refers to having a new mind. We have exchanged our old mind for a new mind. That's the meaning of the word.

This is again the Greek word. The Hebrew as I understand it is more about changing your direction. The NT word is about exchanging your mind.

We repudiate the mind of the flesh, and in return, we receive the mind of Christ.

That being said, it remains to us to renew our mind, thinking more and more with the new mind, and less according to the old.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree to a certain extent.

But I would ask, is the faith in Luke 8:13 a genuine faith?
They went out from us because they were not of us. Faith that fails is not genuine, and is something else masquerading as faith.

Much love!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Holy Spirit convicts.
Only those who dont believe,

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Reactions: marks

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

No, I don't assume that.

Much love!
Something I was given years ago

I can just hear the conversation..

Hi Jesus,
Yes, “ insert name here”.
Lord forgive me of my sins..
Which ones?
I only commited 3 today Jesus they are.
Oh is that all, I counted 321.
321 how can that be. I only remember3.
Well there was the moment you looked at this person and you lusted after them,
Oh that one.
Than there was the car that passed you and you said” I wish I had one of those”, coveting anothers goods.
Oh, would never have thought of that one.
What about the friend who hurt you and you wont forgive them.
Oh, you heard.
Than there was that moment when you pricked you finger.
Oh you heard that one too.
So would you like me to go on, or would you like me ti tell you of the 234 you will commit tomorrow.
Sorry Lord no, that’s enough.
Did I or did I not dies for your Sinssssssssssssssssssssssssss, yes or no.
Yes Lord.
So are they forgiven or not.
Yes Lord, I guess I just don’t understand.
No many don’t, I died for the sins of “all mankind” though many seem to think I only died for the righteous.
So than Lord, what do I need to do.
Did I not say I would give you life, so live, I condemned all sin to the flesh, I came not to save your flesh but your spirit so that you can live with me in eternal life.
Is that not enough for you ??

Yes Lord . Thank you.

In all His Love

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They went out from us because they were not of us. Faith that fails is not genuine, and is something else masquerading as faith.

Much love!
I think I disagree with you there. Luke 8:13 appears to be speaking of genuine faith; but I identify it as shallow, lukewarm, or nominal.

Reactions: marks

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something I was given years ago

I can just hear the conversation..

Hi Jesus,
Yes, “ insert name here”.
Lord forgive me of my sins..
Which ones?
I only commited 3 today Jesus they are.
Oh is that all, I counted 321.
321 how can that be. I only remember3.
Well there was the moment you looked at this person and you lusted after them,
Oh that one.
Than there was the car that passed you and you said” I wish I had one of those”, coveting anothers goods.
Oh, would never have thought of that one.
What about the friend who hurt you and you wont forgive them.
Oh, you heard.
Than there was that moment when you pricked you finger.
Oh you heard that one too.
So would you like me to go on, or would you like me ti tell you of the 234 you will commit tomorrow.
Sorry Lord no, that’s enough.
Did I or did I not dies for your Sinssssssssssssssssssssssssss, yes or no.
Yes Lord.
So are they forgiven or not.
Yes Lord, I guess I just don’t understand.
No many don’t, I died for the sins of “all mankind” though many seem to think I only died for the righteous.
So than Lord, what do I need to do.
Did I not say I would give you life, so live, I condemned all sin to the flesh, I came not to save your flesh but your spirit so that you can live with me in eternal life.
Is that not enough for you ??

Yes Lord . Thank you.

In all His Love

1Jo 3:5, And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
1Jo 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jo 3:7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jo 3:8, He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jo 3:9, Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1Jo 3:5, And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
1Jo 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jo 3:7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jo 3:8, He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jo 3:9, Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
Now you are yelling because you dont understand, thats what happens when men take offense, when they are exposed to the truth.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are yelling because you dont understand, thats what happens when men take offense, when they are exposed to the truth.
No, that is not the reason why I place some things in larger letters. I do that for emphasis. It is how I have always quoted the scriptures, since I started doing so.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What exactly does this verse mean to you? That you cannot sin?
The person who abideth in Him "sinneth not" (1 John 3:6)...and we can do so (sin not) for ever more (1 John 2:17).

I believe that 1 John 3:9 speaks of righteousness that is practical where we are righteous even as He is righteous (1 John 3:7); pure even as He is pure (1 John 3:3); and can walk even as He walked (1 John 2:6).

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I disagree with you there. Luke 8:13 appears to be speaking of genuine faith; but I identify it as shallow, lukewarm, or nominal.
They 'receive the word with joy', but they have no root. It's an emotional experience for them, but doesn't plant itself in them.

Peter explains that for the believer, the fiery trials are there to prove our faith to be genuine in that we endure through them. Those who do not endure, the trials have shown their faith to not be genuine.

Romans 5 teaches the same thing, that tribulation brings endurance, and endurance, experience, and experience, hope. That experience is the evidence provided in our lives, which gives us hope. As we see how God brings us through our tribulations, we begin to believe more and more in the reality of what He's promised to us in this world, and the ages to come.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They 'receive the word with joy', but they have no root. It's an emotional experience for them, but doesn't plant itself in them.

Peter explains that for the believer, the fiery trials are there to prove our faith to be genuine in that we endure through them. Those who do not endure, the trials have shown their faith to not be genuine.

Romans 5 teaches the same thing, that tribulation brings endurance, and endurance, experience, and experience, hope. That experience is the evidence provided in our lives, which gives us hope. As we see how God brings us through our tribulations, we begin to believe more and more in the reality of what He's promised to us in this world, and the ages to come.

Much love!
So, you're saying that genuine faith will stand when tested.