I have a confession to make

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can a person know for sure that they are "born again"?

Do you Love your enemies? If so, this Love can only come from an Indwelling Holy Spirit, and a person can only have the Indwelling Holy Spirit if they've received the Holy Operation of God, the Circumcision of Christ (the removal of the Curse of the Sinful Nature.)

Luke 6:35 NLT - "Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked."

Since this same Love for the Brothers and Sisters in Christ proves who we are . . . how much more, then, does it prove that we are Children of God if we Love our enemies?

1 John 3:14 NLT - "If we love our Christian brothers and sisters, it proves that we have passed from death to life. But a person who has no love is still dead."

As said, this Love comes from Christ . . .

1 Timothy 1:14 NLT - "Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus."

I love our Bible. :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
U tell me, im Catholic so... I dunno... Its simple for us... I know cos im baptized... What does a born again moment consist of for the protestant?
How do they discern weather their experience was a born again one or not?

If it was so easy to know then why is there so much disagreement about it?
There wouldn't be so many people claiming that others aren't born again if it was that easy to discern...

And besides, it was you who told that person to make sure they were born again. So im just asking how.
From Blindness to Freedom to Hope.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's like this Cristo....if the cup is full, no more will fit in. Do you understand this??
God can only fill an empty cup. An empty cup is not qualified by a collection of 'information'.

1.....After observing Jesus for a bit while railing at him with his mate, one of the thieves crucified along side Jesus saw his cup was empty.....the other one never saw it.....pride maybe?

2.....The story of the Publican and the Pharisee Jesus told illustrates one having an empty cup and one having a full cup.

All those things you mention above are speaking of the same thing....only from a different perspective.

Now you can work it out?

Sorry man... You've lost me... Im not very well educated in scripture, i only came back to God 2 years ago and to be honest, i get confused by a lot of it, especially when it isn't clear and conclusive and there are contradictions...

I mean, if it was really so easy and straight forward there wouldn't be such differences in interpretation

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Stuart a couple of points. First, God sent His Son into the world for a purpose. To redeem man. There was a price that God had to pay for that redemption... Death. He couldn't pay it Himself... The eternal Father can not die. But His Son, in human form, could and did literally die. If He did not die, your redemption is null and void.
Second point. What caused Him to die was that Jesus voluntarily accepted the full guilt and responsibility for the sin of mankind, and allowed His Father to lay that guilty upon His shoulders, and thus suffer the full consequences of that sin. Your sin, mine, and everyone's. His mental anguish of all that guilt and shame began in the garden. Sweating blood wasn't in fear of death... But consternation that having accepted all that burden, the Father would not accept His Son back.
Third point. Because He had no sin of His own, death could not hold Him. That death was rightfully ours, not His. He literally arose from the dead. He now lives and is ministering in heaven as our intercessor and Mediator before the throne of His Father. We can approach Him at any time. Directly. Boldly. Without fear of being rejected, ignored, rebuked.
In the words of one of my favorites writers...
Christ was treated as we deserve, that we might be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. "With His stripes we are healed." From the book Desire of Ages.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry man... You've lost me... Im not very well educated in scripture, i only came back to God 2 years ago and to be honest, i get confused by a lot of it, especially when it isn't clear and conclusive and there are contradictions...

I mean, if it was really so easy and straight forward there wouldn't be such differences in interpretation
The scripture is straight forward Cristo. It is the conflicting theories and views that people throw around that make it appear that way. You need to read....get familiar with it. If you don't, any mumbo jumbo can be and will be pushed into your face and sold to you as truth.

Reactions: Brakelite

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

WoW... I clicked on that link thinking it was going to be an argument for born again but what i read made me cry cos ive had such a terrible day...
I think some people on this forum feel like im challenging their beliefs but what i wanted was what u wrote there, an example of a born again moment...

I was supposed to get my license back on Thursday the 21st, next week... I had lost it for 20 months and was sent to jail to do some time.
I get my license i have to do course on speeding and such, 3 days, last Tuesday, today and next Tuesday, cost $800...
So i went last Tuesday, its on the other side of town and took me 90 minutes to get there...
But today i found that my local train line was closed, u know how ther getting rid of all the railway crossings... So i had to catch a bus that they replaced the train with. This resulted in me being late by literally 7 minutes... I walked in the door at 10.07am Well... She had said previously that she doesn't tolerate late comers and will dismiss them... And so i was dismissed...

$800, 20 months no license and all the things that come with it such as limited job opportunities, time in prison, all the planning i had made, converting this van into a camper, the excitement... All gone in a blink of an eye. Cos i was 7 minutes late... Oh man i felt such fury that i hadn't felt in a long time... First i spoke to trhe receptionists very aggressively, the teacher was going to call me after 1.30pm they told me... I was so livid, i had such evil thoughts of revenge...

Caught the train back into the city and there was steam rising from my head, so many people wearing face masks, it was like some one was screwing a bolt into my head... As i got off the train i went on a rant about everyone being such weak sheep wearing masks, the whole carriage coped it...

Seeing the city so dead and people wearing masks everywhere just stoked my anger... I went into a store (JB hi-fi)
Employee - U must wear a mask
Me - I don't do masks... And walked right in... Had an argument with them about masks and social distancing

Then went I into a store to buy lunch... Was loud and obnoxious again...

I did somehow manage to pull out some empathy towards a homeless guy.
I bought some food to share with him and we spoke for about 30 minutes.

I went home but i was still feeling so angry... She rang me eventually and i was really obnoxious towards her, using foul language...

I started to calm down and then i read your testimony... I felt such shame, i knew what i had to do, so i sent her an apologetic text...
Half an hour later i received a call from their office and they offered me a refund. A reward perhaps. I apologized to that lady as well. I know that resentment is so damaging to my spirit and soul that i won't go to bed with it, especially towards family...

An old friend, Lisa had a close relationship with her dad. They had an argument one day, nothing major but a day or two later he died unexpectedly, umpiring a cricket match, about 50yo... Poor Lisa became so hung up on the fact that he left on bad terms, he last words towards him were horrible, it really scared her mentally, so much so that she was never the same girl, tried to commit suicide several times...

I think my born again moment came when my ex left me... I had rejected any notion of a God and blindly followed the evil one all the way up to the cliff... I had a suicide plan... But something clicked... All this bad in my life wasn't just a coincidence, it was evil... For the first time i could see Satan, i could see what he had done to me over the past 15 years... Oh my goodness, Satan is actually real and my reaction was to flee from him and search for God...

U know in the Catholic church they have the first Communion and then Confirmation at about age 14. Its just a hand full of questions to confirm at mass but the first question isn't do u believe in God, no... The first question is "Do u reject Satan and all his evil ways" I do... Its quite a profound way to begin, the acknowledgement of evil and the promise to reject it... And thats exactly what i did without even thinking about it when i first encountered the evil one...

I went in search of God, he was like a star in the sky at first, so far away, i was walking in the dark, deep behind enemy lines, being stalked constantly by evil... The light at the end of the tunnel got bigger and brighter, when i reached God i fell into tears for i had lived a life of a fool, i had rejected God, questioned him, criticized him, u name it... That was a deep confession, really deep... From then i just started to think differently. I feel like i had the Holy Spirit from the start but had gagged it and put it in my pocket, acting only on the will of the devil... But now i had this second voice in my head, the Holy Spirit... I didn't even know what born again was back then, the Catholic or the Protestant view... Looking back now it is definitely a turning point for me

Ahhh, being born of water and spirit. Maybe the water are the tears, hmm just a thought

About 5 months later i was thrown in jail... First 2 nights, solitary, under the city courthouse. Its known as "The yellow submarine"..

The evil one tormented me like he never had... He broke me... Then i got moved to the assessment prison where there is everyone; murderers, robbers, rapists, all of them in one mosh pit. And me, in jail for driving offences. I knew i had to pull myself together and i prayed for the strength to get me thought it cos i knew that Satan was going to be everywhere, trying to tempt and torment using every possible method, inmates, guards, temptation of smokes, drugs, feelings of evil...

God's presence in jail is hard to explain... He is seemingly everywhere, so easy to find.
U said His awaiting the slightest reason, the most meager of excuses, to forgive, to show mercy, and to pardon... Thats exactly what i found. His there, just waiting for someone to repent...

Sure enough i was tempted the very next morning as one of my room mates went ballistic cos i had been snoring all night. He picked up a chair and fainted to hit me with it, he fainted a punch and a kick as well... If i had reacted i think i would of got in trouble but i was able to remain calm... Every action i made in prison i did by asking myself "what would Jesus have done". I was impervious to the attack of the evil one like never before, It was just like i was standing behind God as he smashed Satan...

Anyway, sorry for writing a book, hope it wasn't too boring

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Gday mate. You don't need a PhD to understand the message of scripture. And if you pray before reading, God has promised to give you wisdom and understanding. You can trust the holy Spirit to guide and lead you to truth. God does have teachers here in earth through whom He brings light to the scriptures. He can lead you to those folk. But don't trust just any old Con, Tick, and Barry because they claim some seminary qualifications they're are authorized to teach. Go to only those God leads you to. Trust God. Not man.

Reactions: Pearl

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
WoW... I clicked on that link thinking it was going to be an argument for born again but what i read made me cry cos ive had such a terrible day...
I think some people on this forum feel like im challenging their beliefs but what i wanted was what u wrote there, an example of a born again moment...

I was supposed to get my license back on Thursday the 21st, next week... I had lost it for 20 months and was sent to jail to do some time.
I get my license i have to do course on speeding and such, 3 days, last Tuesday, today and next Tuesday, cost $800...
So i went last Tuesday, its on the other side of town and took me 90 minutes to get there...
But today i found that my local train line was closed, u know how ther getting rid of all the railway crossings... So i had to catch a bus that they replaced the train with. This resulted in me being late by literally 7 minutes... I walked in the door at 10.07am Well... She had said previously that she doesn't tolerate late comers and will dismiss them... And so i was dismissed...

$800, 20 months no license and all the things that come with it such as limited job opportunities, time in prison, all the planning i had made, converting this van into a camper, the excitement... All gone in a blink of an eye. Cos i was 7 minutes late... Oh man i felt such fury that i hadn't felt in a long time... First i spoke to trhe receptionists very aggressively, the teacher was going to call me after 1.30pm they told me... I was so livid, i had such evil thoughts of revenge...

Caught the train back into the city and there was steam rising from my head, so many people wearing face masks, it was like some one was screwing a bolt into my head... As i got off the train i went on a rant about everyone being such weak sheep wearing masks, the whole carriage coped it...

Seeing the city so dead and people wearing masks everywhere just stoked my anger... I went into a store (JB hi-fi)
Me - I don't do masks... And walked right in... Had an argument with them about masks and social distancing

I went home but i was still feeling so angry... She rang me eventually and i was really obnoxious towards her, using foul language...

I started to calm down and then i read your testimony... I felt such shame, i knew what i had to do, so i sent her an apologetic text...
Half an hour later i received a call from their office and they offered me a refund. A reward perhaps. I apologized to that lady as well. I know that resentment is so damaging to my spirit and soul that i won't go to bed with it, especially towards family...

An old friend, Lisa had a close relationship with her dad. They had an argument one day, nothing major but a day or two later he died unexpectedly, umpiring a cricket match, about 50yo... Poor Lisa became so hung up on the fact that he left on bad terms, he last words towards him were horrible, it really scared her mentally, so much so that she was never the same girl, tried to commit suicide several times...

I think my born again moment came when my ex left me... I had rejected any notion of a God and blindly followed the evil one all the way up to the cliff... I had a suicide plan... But something clicked... All this bad in my life wasn't just a coincidence, it was evil... For the first time i could see Satan, i could see what he had done to me over the past 15 years... Oh my goodness, Satan is actually real and my reaction was to flee from him and search for God...

U know in the Catholic church they have the first Communion and then Confirmation at about age 14. Its just a hand full of questions to confirm at mass but the first question isn't do u believe in God, no... The first question is "Do u reject Satan and all his evil ways" I do... Its quite a profound way to begin, the acknowledgement of evil and the promise to reject it... And thats exactly what i did without even thinking about it when i first encountered the evil one...

I went in search of God, he was like a star in the sky at first, so far away, i was walking in the dark, deep behind enemy lines, being stalked constantly by evil... The light at the end of the tunnel got bigger and brighter, when i reached God i fell into tears for i had lived a life of a fool, i had rejected God, questioned him, criticized him, u name it... That was a deep confession, really deep... From then i just started to think differently. I feel like i had the Holy Spirit from the start but had gagged it and put it in my pocket, acting only on the will of the devil... But now i had this second voice in my head, the Holy Spirit... I didn't even know what born again was back then, the Catholic or the Protestant view... Looking back now it is definitely a turning point for me

Ahhh, being born of water and spirit. Maybe the water are the tears, hmm just a thought

About 5 months later i was thrown in jail... First 2 nights, solitary, under the city courthouse. Its known as "The yellow submarine"..

The evil one tormented me like he never had... He broke me... Then i got moved to the assessment prison where there is everyone; murderers, robbers, rapists, all of them in one mosh pit. And me, in jail for driving offences. I knew i had to pull myself together and i prayed for the strength to get me thought it cos i knew that Satan was going to be everywhere, trying to tempt and torment using every possible method, inmates, guards, temptation of smokes, drugs, feelings of evil...

God's presence in jail is hard to explain... He is seemingly everywhere, so easy to find.
U said His awaiting the slightest reason, the most meager of excuses, to forgive, to show mercy, and to pardon... Thats exactly what i found. His there, just waiting for someone to repent...

Sure enough i was tempted the very next morning as one of my room mates went ballistic cos i had been snoring all night. He picked up a chair and fainted to hit me with it, he fainted a punch and a kick as well... If i had reacted i think i would of got in trouble but i was able to remain calm... Every action i made in prison i did by asking myself "what would Jesus have done". I was impervious to the attack of the evil one like never before, It was just like i was standing behind God as he smashed Satan...

get it out Cristo, get it out! I'm glad you told this part of your story mate.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The scripture is straight forward Cristo. It is the conflicting theories and views that people throw around that make it appear that way. You need to read....get familiar with it. If you don't, any mumbo jumbo can be and will be pushed into your face and sold to you as truth.

Straight forward is it... Ok then...

How do explain the verses where we are told that we are predestined? We're told that we are chosen before we are even born?

How do explain the fact that Christ describes it as being born of water and spirit??? I can't see the connection but i can see this...
Water is used in baptism and the Holy Spirit descended upon Christ when He was baptized.

How do you explain that after speaking with Nicodeimus the rest of chapter 3 focuses on baptism???

Do u guys just ignore these passages or is there a suitable explanation for them???

And finally, provide a straight forward piece of scripture that supports it...
When Jesus is asked “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
A conclusive response would be "to be born again, one must have an epiphany, a realization, a deep remorse for his sins"

Im not trying to criticize or challenge u guys, im not the typical hardcore Catholic, more of an ignorant follower of God

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Had to laugh at your frustration and experience in the train and in the shops. I feel the same way. The only place I have worn a mask is to the local pharmacy for my wife's meds. Otherwise, malls, supermarkets, etc... No mask. Haven't been challenged yet in any of the supermarket I visit locally. Was challenged at one place not local I just turned around and walked out. I must share with you one day my experience in being my driving licence transferred from NZ. A miracle but not one I'm keen to share openly lol. God actually over turned... No... Bypassed... Australian law so I could drive. Long story.
As I said in my testimony, I also was raised Catholic. So I know somewhat of where your thinking is and the apparent mountain of questions you must have when trying to understand the Protestant and biblical worldview as opposed to the traditions and corporate worldview of Rome. I struggled with a few of them myself in the beginning.
Thanks for sharing your day... And yeah, must be hard not having your license and the trains all over the place. Especially when you are under time constraints. Can fully understand your venting lol. Feel sorry for the other passengers and JBhifi. Would have been highly entertaining to witness. I will be watching for replays on you tube. :D

Reactions: quietthinker

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do explain the verses where we are told that we are predestined? We're told that we are chosen before we are even born?
1....All men are predestined in Jesus. Jesus represented the whole human race for Salvation but not all mankind want to take advantage of that. Ultimately God knows those who will make it.....because he is God!

I Corinthians 15: 21-22 ...
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

How do explain the fact that Christ describes it as being born of water and spirit??? I can't see the connection but i can see this...
Water is used in baptism and the Holy Spirit descended upon Christ when He was baptized.

2....The Spirit is the chosen avenue of God to speak to the human heart.
John 4:10
Scripture uses water as the element for cleansing and for quenching thirst.
Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”
Ephesians 5:26
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word

How do you explain that after speaking with Nicodeimus the rest of chapter 3 focuses on baptism???
3....we must keep the events in Chapter 3 in context. Vs 1-21 is the account of Jesus' interaction with Nicodemas.... Vs 22-36 finds Jesus in a different location talking with a variety of people.

And finally, provide a straight forward piece of scripture that supports it...
When Jesus is asked “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
A conclusive response would be "to be born again, one must have an epiphany, a realization, a deep remorse for his sins"
4....Nicodemas should have known better to ask the question he asked. Jesus response was, you need to become a new person by God's Spirit and cleansing.
John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I confess that i am not totally convinced that Jesus was resurrected, i would like to believe that but i seem to not have a strong enough faith as to believe that it could happen, i question its validity but i realise that he was a great man and i still believe he was the son of God, I believe most of the Word but the Resurrection is hard to digest for me.
Why? o_O

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Had to laugh at your frustration and experience in the train and in the shops. I feel the same way. The only place I have worn a mask is to the local pharmacy for my wife's meds. Otherwise, malls, supermarkets, etc... No mask. Haven't been challenged yet in any of the supermarket I visit locally. Was challenged at one place not local I just turned around and walked out. I must share with you one day my experience in being my driving licence transferred from NZ. A miracle but not one I'm keen to share openly lol. God actually over turned... No... Bypassed... Australian law so I could drive. Long story.
As I said in my testimony, I also was raised Catholic. So I know somewhat of where your thinking is and the apparent mountain of questions you must have when trying to understand the Protestant and biblical worldview as opposed to the traditions and corporate worldview of Rome. I struggled with a few of them myself in the beginning.
Thanks for sharing your day... And yeah, must be hard not having your license and the trains all over the place. Especially when you are under time constraints. Can fully understand your venting lol. Feel sorry for the other passengers and JBhifi. Would have been highly entertaining to witness. I will be watching for replays on you tube. :D

U heard the latest in QLD... They must wear masks while driving alone... All over one case i think...

Looking back now it would of been funny, especially the train carriage...

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1....All men are predestined in Jesus. Jesus represented the whole human race for Salvation but not all mankind want to take advantage of that. Ultimately God knows those who will make it.....because he is God!

I Corinthians 15: 21-22 ...
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

2....The Spirit is the chosen avenue of God to speak to the human heart.
John 4:10
Scripture uses water as the element for cleansing and for quenching thirst.
Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”
Ephesians 5:26
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word

3....we must keep the events in Chapter 3 in context. Vs 1-21 is the account of Jesus' interaction with Nicodemas.... Vs 22-36 finds Jesus in a different location talking with a variety of people.

4....Nicodemas should have known better to ask the question he asked. Jesus response was, you need to become a new person by God's Spirit and cleansing.
John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Really. Ok fair enough, if your convinced by that then so be it i guess...
But can u see how someone like me is unwilling to be so dogmatic about either view?

What if the 2nd part of Chapter 3 was purposely written to be in context.... Its an assumption to say its not related
What if the word water actually means water in this verse... Its an assumption to take a words figurative meaning from an unrelated passage and use it the same way...
And if God already know who will make it then is it really our decision in the first place... We could be pre programmed and would even know it.

Too many ifs for me

So you didn't choose. What about since you grew up, did you choose Jesus for yourself?

I don't understand what your trying to say mate... I was saying that im baptized and believe in Christ...
So weather the Catholic view or protestant view is correct becomes irrelevant cos im saved either way...

Or are people saying that i can't sit on the fence undecided?