I have a question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly, but not all promises are what people want to receive!
That's for sure bro John! All I wanted for a loooong time was 3 mini schnauzers, a small modest home with a fenced yard. Mind you, this was BEFORE walking with Jesus...decades later, without even thinking of how I asked for all of this (even though living in the flesh) I find myself in a small, fenced yard with 3 mini schnauzers. Sounds grand eh? Hahaha...not so much really as, the three are special needs...I'm not equipped to be walking them enough, shortly after moving in, I realized the guy next door was infested with rats, mice and God only knows what else in his big old broken down house. The rats ate through my shed, backed against his yard and over 11 years of it, the floor inside was covered in HUGE rat feces, and the smell was horrendous. Many broken things and several leaks were hidden well, as was the falling apart of the back deck so, I did not ask God for His will, wanted my own. Was not even walking as a Christian then either but, He did eventually give me exactly what I wanted. If I could change things right now, I would but...God does not give us back...time.
Love you my brother!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's for sure bro John! All I wanted for a loooong time was 3 mini schnauzers, a small modest home with a fenced yard. Mind you, this was BEFORE walking with Jesus...decades later, without even thinking of how I asked for all of this (even though living in the flesh) I find myself in a small, fenced yard with 3 mini schnauzers. Sounds grand eh? Hahaha...not so much really as, the three are special needs...I'm not equipped to be walking them enough, shortly after moving in, I realized the guy next door was infested with rats, mice and God only knows what else in his big old broken down house. The rats ate through my shed, backed against his yard and over 11 years of it, the floor inside was covered in HUGE rat feces, and the smell was horrendous. Many broken things and several leaks were hidden well, as was the falling apart of the back deck so, I did not ask God for His will, wanted my own. Was not even walking as a Christian then either but, He did eventually give me exactly what I wanted. If I could change things right now, I would but...God does not give us back...time.
Love you my brother!
And then after that first event we may have read this:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28

And then for a long while we may have been scratching our head and asking God: What does that mean?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then after that we may read this:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28

And then for a long while we may be scratching our head and asking God: What does that mean?

Hahaha, true that! Despite all the problems needing fixed here, I am content in all things except for the fact that my understanding is not up to par on many things. Prayers for myself are pretty much always to grow spiritually in every way, prayer, studying, praising...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hahaha, true that! Despite all the problems needing fixed here, I am content in all things except for the fact that my understanding is not up to par on many things. Prayers for myself are pretty much always to grow spiritually in every way, prayer, studying, praising...
We are to live for God by faith, which sometimes means we do not have a clear answer other than this is how, according to Him, it needs to be.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But can I expect/hold God on the conditions of what he does promise? Or is that impossible?
Many promises are conditional. We do not start or continue our walk with God based on absolute knowledge about everything, but rather by faith.

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

Then again a person can only come to God through Jesus. No one comes to Jesus unless he is drawn to him by God:

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Many promises are conditional. We do not start or continue our walk with God based on absolute knowledge about everything, but rather by faith.

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

Then again a person can only come to God through Jesus. No one comes to Jesus unless he is drawn to him by God:

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44
What do you mean by certain promises are conditional? (That's particularly confusing)

Also, if nobody can come to God unless God himself does something first, then nothing you or any other Christian tell me here will help me believe?

Reactions: Mayflower

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Hang on! Is it impossible for me to believe in God unless he does something so I can believe. That is totally bizarre, so I can't even choose to believe for me?

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only question is whether or not we can see God's blessings. He probably does more for us than we are aware of considering all the dangers in the world and up in the sky.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Love you my brother!
Interesting story.

Reactions: Taken and amadeus

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
The only question is whether or not we can see God's blessings. He probably does more for us than we are aware of considering all the dangers in the world and up in the sky.
What's going on in the sky?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean by certain promises are conditional? (That's particularly confusing)
Lots of people live in confusion. I cannot alone remove someone else's confusion. There are many scriptures that speak about this confusion of men. Both Babylon [kingdom/empire] and Babel [Tower of] from the Old Testament mean "confusion".

Man living in his world of men without God is confused as you are confused when it comes to God and the things of God. Since I have not already overcome all of the 'world' as Jesus did at this point, in a measure I am also confused. When I am filled with the Holy Spirit and led by the Holy Spirit as I speak or act, there is no confusion. I believe this would be so for anyone.

Also, if nobody can come to God unless God himself does something first, then nothing you or any other Christian tell me here will help me believe?
God does work through people. Ultimately He alone gives any real increase, but while a person has time remaining the choice to open himself up to God is his. God will Not force a person to open the door to his heart.

I can answer some of your questions as I understand them or as God has given me understanding of them, but I cannot cause you or anyone to agree with my own belief about something. Each person holds his own reins. To be 'saved' a person must give those reins to God.

Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's going on in the sky?
At any time a solar flare could kick up and kill everyone on the planet. A comet could break up sling shotting by the sun and send dangerous fragments to earth. Asteroids fly dangerously close to earth all the time. The core of the Planet could be affected by gravitational bodies and erupt in our areas. That's some of the sky dangers, not to mention lightning strikes which are in fact often deadly and don't always involve cloudy days. Hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hang on! Is it impossible for me to believe in God unless he does something so I can believe. That is totally bizarre, so I can't even choose to believe for me?
Consider this:

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

If you are only curious or only interested in pursuing your own agenda [as for example putting someone down who is unable to answer your questions or sooth your doubts] you will not be hungry and thirsty for real righteousness and God already knows that.

If and when you really get hungry God will know that as well and will then draw you to Jesus for further increases...

Reactions: Nancy

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Lots of people live in confusion. I cannot alone remove someone else's confusion. There are many scriptures that speak about this confusion of men. Both Babylon [kingdom/empire] and Babel [Tower of] from the Old Testament mean "confusion".

Man living in his world of men without God is confused as you are confused when it comes to God and the things of God. Since I have not already overcome all of the 'world' as Jesus did at this point, in a measure I am also confused. When I am filled with the Holy Spirit and led by the Holy Spirit as I speak or act, there is no confusion. I believe this would be so for anyone.

God does work through people. Ultimately He alone gives any real increase, but while a person has time remaining the choice to open himself up to God is his. God will Not force a person to open the door to his heart.

I can answer some of your questions as I understand them or as God has given me understanding of them, but I cannot cause you or anyone to agree with my own belief about something. Each person holds his own reins. To be 'saved' a person must give those reins to God.
If I eventually come to believing in your God, would you be satisfied at that point God has me wrapped up in his salvation? (I ask this because many times I have witnessed people who after coming to a belief in God, end up bound by the others involved who can't let go, to let their God)

Reactions: Waiting on him

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
At any time a solar flare could kick up and kill everyone on the planet. A comet could break up sling shotting by the sun and send dangerous fragments to earth. Asteroids fly dangerously close to earth all the time. The core of the Planet could be affected by gravitational bodies and erupt in our areas. That's some of the sky dangers, not to mention lightning strikes which are in fact often deadly and don't always involve cloudy days. Hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.
I understand those fears.

Reactions: dev553344

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can I rely on the promises God makes in the Bible or not?
Of course. But divine promises come with conditions. And one of those conditions is that you believe that God is, and is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Atheism won't cut it.

Reactions: Agios and Nancy