I have a question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

talico

Aug 8, 2021
La
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. But that yes is just the tip of the iceberg.
They behave the way they do because they are not of God.
They are no better off than you.
They like you...do not know God.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
They behave the way they do because they are not of God.
They are no better off than you.
They like you...do not know God.
You desired to trap me? You know that those who fall away after tasting the goodness of God will be worse off than the true believer's & non-believer's.

Reactions: amadeus

talico

Aug 8, 2021
La
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You desired to trap me? You know that those who fall away after tasting the goodness of God will be worse off than the true believer's & non-believer's.
I do not need to trap you. There is no worse off in the lake of fire.
It is all the same to them
in it.

talico

Aug 8, 2021
La
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I am certainly not going to try to convert you.
I do not care what happens to you.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Conditions of God's Promises.

The Conditions of God's Promises. — Symphony of Praise

PART TWO: THE CONDITION OF GOD'S PROMISES.
In his book, All the Promises of God, Dr. Hebrert Lockyer states that certain conditions or stipulations must be observed as we handle GOd’s Promises. Let’s take a look at a few of these conditions together.

1. A DIVINE PROMISE MAY HAVE MORE THAN ONE APPLICATION.
We can see examples of this throughout the Book of Proverbs, which is a book of promises.

Proverbs 14:2 says, "Those who follow the right path fear the LORD; those who take the wrong path despise him." Here, we can see numerous applications of the promise.

• Those who follow the right path are those who fear the Lord.

• Those who take the wrong way are those who despise the Lord.

• The fear of the Lord guides the righteous.

• The hate of the Lord leads to unrighteousness.
As we read The Promises of God found in Scripture, we can look for numerous applications, of course, in context with what the passage is saying.

2 . SOME BIBLICAL PROMISES ARE MADE TO PEOPLE IN GENERAL.
Psalm 84:11 says, "For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right."

John 3:16-17 says, "For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him."

Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 5:45 that the Father "gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike."

These promises, and many others, are written to humanity in general. No specific person is the recipient of these promises. Other promises are specific.

3 . SOME DIVINE PROMISES ARE MADE TO SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS.
If we take a look at Joshua 1:7 it says, "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do."

The Lord gave this promise to Joshua, but we can also take on its application. Romans 15:4 says, "Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled."

Joshua was the recipient of the promises in Joshua 1:5-7, but through his story and the Lord's promise to him, we can find hope and encouragement. We know that looking to the Scriptures and meditating on God's Word will cause us to prosper.
4. DIVINE PROMISES MUST BE READ IN CONTEXT.
When we study The Promises of God, we must read them and examine them in context. We cannot read a promise and claim it as our own without knowing the setting, the surrounding persons, and the background of the book, chapter, or verse of the promise is found.

Lockyer uses the example of 2 Corinthians 12:8-10.

"Three different times I begged the Lord to take it [the thorn] away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

We can appropriate and apply this promise; in our times of weakness, God's grace is all we need. We know that The Lord's power works best in our weakness. But first, we must understand the context of this promise.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 speaks of Paul's experience. Paul had the thorn in his side. Paul received God's sufficient grace. The times I have studied the context of a popular verse like this one are the richest study times with the Lord.

Be careful, as we study The Promises of God, that you don't fall in with the "name it and claim it" crowd. Divine promises must be read in context.

"No isolated verse is of worth except in the meaning which the Holy Spirit intended it to convey when He inspired some holy man of old to record it. A misunderstood text can result in false comfort, groundless fears, and unauthorized conduct. For example, the snake-handling founded on Mark 16:18. Are we not instructed to "compare spiritual things with spiritual"? (2 Cor. 2:13) The whole of Scripture must interpret any part we consider, and the part must be looked at in light of the whole.

It is only then that we can arrive at "an enlarged and consistent view of the full extent and lovely harmony of divine truth . . .". All the Promises of the Bible, 20.

5 . THE DIVINE PROMISES MUST BE VIEWED PRACTICALLY.
In 2 Corinthians 6:14-17, Paul gives The Corinthians promises from Scripture. Then, in 2 Corinthians 7:1, Paul says . . .

"Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God."

In other words, now that you have the promises in chapter 6, do something about it. Cleanse yourself from filthiness and work towards holiness.

After reading and studying a divine promise in context, that promise should excite us to change and to conform to the image of Jesus. As we study The Promises of God in our Inscribe the Word series, let these promises spur us to action and change.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I rely on the promises God makes in the Bible or not?

Willful sin cancels Gods promises.

God already promised all the Israelites He delivered from Egyptian bondage, that they would enter the land He was giving them, hence the name for it - THE PROMISED land - but God cancelled the promise and kept everyone who sinned against Him aged 20 and above from entering, and after they all died, the rest entered in.

And Moses, who was Israel’s leader and mediator, who spent a total of 80 years in the desert, committed one sin just before they were to enter in, and had his entrance into the promised land cancelled, and God also ended his life.

And Israel, Gods elect bride, was divorced by God in Jeremiah 3:8 for the spiritual adultery of continuing in sin and in breaking their covenant, which is what ended what was to be a perpetual covenant.

In Hebrews 8, God describes ending the old covenant and giving the new covenant, saying hat He ended the first one because Israel kept breaking it, in verse 9.

And OSASers deny the biblical fact that believers are not unconditionally saved, but can fail to remain in the faith, and thus fail to remain in Christ.

This is just one example of one of many conditional statements that show that Christians must continue in the faith:

Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Col 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Albert Barnes exegetes that passage:

If ye continue in the faith - in the belief of the gospel, and in holy living. If this were done, they would be presented unblameable be fore God; if not, they would not be. The meaning is, that it will be impossible to be saved unless we continue to lead lives becoming the gospel.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Willful sin cancels Gods promises.

God already promised all the Israelites He delivered from Egyptian bondage, that they would enter the land He was giving them, hence the name for it - THE PROMISED land - but God cancelled the promise and kept everyone who sinned against Him aged 20 and above from entering, and after they all died, the rest entered in.

And Moses, who was Israel’s leader and mediator, who spent a total of 80 years in the desert, committed one sin just before they were to enter in, and had his entrance into the promised land cancelled, and God also ended his life.

And Israel, Gods elect bride, was divorced by God in Jeremiah 3:8 for the spiritual adultery of continuing in sin and in breaking their covenant, which is what ended what was to be a perpetual covenant.

In Hebrews 8, God describes ending the old covenant and giving the new covenant, saying hat He ended the first one because Israel kept breaking it, in verse 9.

And OSASers deny the biblical fact that believers are not unconditionally saved, but can fail to remain in the faith, and thus fail to remain in Christ.

This is just one example of one of many conditional statements that show that Christians must continue in the faith:

Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Col 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Albert Barnes exegetes that passage:

If ye continue in the faith - in the belief of the gospel, and in holy living. If this were done, they would be presented unblameable be fore God; if not, they would not be. The meaning is, that it will be impossible to be saved unless we continue to lead lives becoming the gospel.
Should a Christian be known as someone who excels in righteousness, and the qualities therefore layed out in the New Testament? Should they be a people who can't go unnoticed for their charity and miraculous power by the finger of God? People who would sacrifice their own life's if that would mean just one sinner could come to a knowledge of love?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Conditions of God's Promises.

The Conditions of God's Promises. — Symphony of Praise

PART TWO: THE CONDITION OF GOD'S PROMISES.
In his book, All the Promises of God, Dr. Hebrert Lockyer states that certain conditions or stipulations must be observed as we handle GOd’s Promises. Let’s take a look at a few of these conditions together.

1. A DIVINE PROMISE MAY HAVE MORE THAN ONE APPLICATION.
We can see examples of this throughout the Book of Proverbs, which is a book of promises.

Proverbs 14:2 says, "Those who follow the right path fear the LORD; those who take the wrong path despise him." Here, we can see numerous applications of the promise.

• Those who follow the right path are those who fear the Lord.

• Those who take the wrong way are those who despise the Lord.

• The fear of the Lord guides the righteous.

• The hate of the Lord leads to unrighteousness.
As we read The Promises of God found in Scripture, we can look for numerous applications, of course, in context with what the passage is saying.

2 . SOME BIBLICAL PROMISES ARE MADE TO PEOPLE IN GENERAL.
Psalm 84:11 says, "For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right."

John 3:16-17 says, "For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him."

Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 5:45 that the Father "gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike."

These promises, and many others, are written to humanity in general. No specific person is the recipient of these promises. Other promises are specific.

3 . SOME DIVINE PROMISES ARE MADE TO SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS.
If we take a look at Joshua 1:7 it says, "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do."

The Lord gave this promise to Joshua, but we can also take on its application. Romans 15:4 says, "Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled."

Joshua was the recipient of the promises in Joshua 1:5-7, but through his story and the Lord's promise to him, we can find hope and encouragement. We know that looking to the Scriptures and meditating on God's Word will cause us to prosper.
4. DIVINE PROMISES MUST BE READ IN CONTEXT.
When we study The Promises of God, we must read them and examine them in context. We cannot read a promise and claim it as our own without knowing the setting, the surrounding persons, and the background of the book, chapter, or verse of the promise is found.

Lockyer uses the example of 2 Corinthians 12:8-10.

"Three different times I begged the Lord to take it [the thorn] away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

We can appropriate and apply this promise; in our times of weakness, God's grace is all we need. We know that The Lord's power works best in our weakness. But first, we must understand the context of this promise.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 speaks of Paul's experience. Paul had the thorn in his side. Paul received God's sufficient grace. The times I have studied the context of a popular verse like this one are the richest study times with the Lord.

Be careful, as we study The Promises of God, that you don't fall in with the "name it and claim it" crowd. Divine promises must be read in context.

"No isolated verse is of worth except in the meaning which the Holy Spirit intended it to convey when He inspired some holy man of old to record it. A misunderstood text can result in false comfort, groundless fears, and unauthorized conduct. For example, the snake-handling founded on Mark 16:18. Are we not instructed to "compare spiritual things with spiritual"? (2 Cor. 2:13) The whole of Scripture must interpret any part we consider, and the part must be looked at in light of the whole.

It is only then that we can arrive at "an enlarged and consistent view of the full extent and lovely harmony of divine truth . . .". All the Promises of the Bible, 20.

5 . THE DIVINE PROMISES MUST BE VIEWED PRACTICALLY.
In 2 Corinthians 6:14-17, Paul gives The Corinthians promises from Scripture. Then, in 2 Corinthians 7:1, Paul says . . .

"Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God."

In other words, now that you have the promises in chapter 6, do something about it. Cleanse yourself from filthiness and work towards holiness.

After reading and studying a divine promise in context, that promise should excite us to change and to conform to the image of Jesus. As we study The Promises of God in our Inscribe the Word series, let these promises spur us to action and change.
@Mayflower I too have enjoyed some of Dr Herbert Lockyer's writings...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should a Christian be known as someone who excels in righteousness, and the qualities therefore layed out in the New Testament? Should they be a people who can't go unnoticed for their charity and miraculous power by the finger of God? People who would sacrifice their own life's if that would mean just one sinner could come to a knowledge of love?

One doesn't have to be a Christian to understand love. Evil loves evil, and good loves good.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You do know that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, and not of works that can be boasted about I hope.

Also, when atheists resort to posting on Christian Forums I suspect they are not happy.

Reactions: marks

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You do know that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, and not of works that can be boasted about I hope.

Also, when atheists resort to posting on Christian Forums I suspect they are not happy.
Sometimes I am happy, but not 24/7

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I love Australia more than most Aboriginal people.

So do i but u didn't complete the rest of the song... U should know this song i thought every Aussie did
"Kookaburra sits in the ol gum tree"

Im from Melbourne born and raised. I live in Tassie now... Welcome to the forum

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I love Australia more than most Aboriginal people.

Its hard to know what your searching for. I read this thread and you seem like a genuine person so i'll just give you a brief about my journey.

I was raised in a Catholic family by European immigrants.
When i got to my teens i rejected the notion of God and assumed it to be all myth and fantasy.
So i was an atheist for about 10 years, a quite one...
Eventually i accepted the idea that it is possible that some kind of God does exist, even if it was only 5% probable in my mind.
So then i was agnostic for another 10 years. That 5% slowly grew to 100% through much thought and reasoning.

I actually became aware of the evil one first because he had led me astray so much that i had contemplated suicide.
Realizing that Satan does exist, that evil has an entity, it really drove me to find God. I had been led deep into the darkness, behind enemy lines and i lived a life of unrepentant sin. I asked for the light to be shone so i could find my way back to Him and he shone the light on the right path back...

How about you? Where has your journey taken you?
Do u think its possible that some kind of God might exist?
We might just be part of a computer program and we wouldn't even know it, would we?

Last edited:

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Its hard to know what your searching for. I read this thread and you seem like a genuine person so i'll just give you a brief about my journey.

I was raised in a Catholic family by European immigrants.
When i got to my teens i rejected the notion of God and assumed it to be all myth and fantasy.
So i was an atheist for about 10 years, a quite one...
Eventually i accepted the idea that it is possible that some kind of God does exist, even if it was only 5% probable in my mind.
So then i was agnostic for another 10 years. That 5% slowly grew to 100% through much thought and reasoning.

I actually became aware of the evil one first because he had led me astray so much that i had contemplated suicide.
Realizing that Satan does exist, that evil has an entity, it really drove me to find God. I had been led deep into the darkness, behind enemy lines and i lived a life of unrepentant sin. I asked for the light to be shone so i could find my way back to Him and he shone the light on the right path back...

How about you? Where has your journey taken you?
Do u think its possible that some kind of God might exist?
We might just be part of a computer program and we wouldn't even know it, would we?
My journey has brought me to the answer I was looking for since childhood. Now I just would rather forget it, completely. I have had enough of carrying it around for the last year and a half.