I Have No Idea Where To Put This Thread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I spent 5 hrs Sunday with an alcoholic, while I changed his heat pump in the mobile home he was renting.
The only time he stoped talking the whole five hrs was brief intervals to take another drink..... most likely the only constructive thing that was said was when asked what kind of music I listen too.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can talk quiet easily to people at bus stops or on the bus or in a queue but find myself quite at a loss in a group situation even with people I know. It seems to be a 'thing'.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A really strange thing is happening to me that I have never experienced, at least not to this extent. It doesn't have me scared exactly, but just...confused and greatly out of sorts.

I suddenly can't synch with anything or anyone around me. The result of it is that I am trying, almost desperately hard, to synch in some way with anyone or anything, to try to prove to myself that I'm not going insane. It is not working and I think people seem like strange bugs to me and I seem like a strange bug to them. All my efforts to feel in synch are getting confused stares and I think...impatience? I think I am talking and chattering too much in an attempt to keep tethered or connected to others?

I have felt this nonsynching thing briefly or...sporadically for short periods of time before but its really extreme now and I'm not quite certain what to do but maybe just stop trying so hard to synch or feel...connected in some way.

On the one hand, im a bit peaceful as long as I'm alone. On the other hand, I'm a bit confused when I'm not alone. Its taking monumental effort on my part to even want to try to feel connected, like I don't even want to try any more, but then, alternately, it feels that to stop trying would be to snap away the rest of the way and become completely untethered from...normalcy?

I'm quite aware that I sound mentally imbalanced, and if I werent aware of it, the puzzled stares alone would clue me in. And now I'm thinking I should not even post this because it seems just another attempt to connect that will get more odd stares and possibly suggestions to seek out a mental health professional.

I said I would go to lunch with a small group of people yesterday. While driving there, I was thinking, oh my gosh, this was a bad idea, why didn't I just say no, now I will have to try to talk with them and I don't know how to pull myself to them and keep myself there!

Yeah, I think I'm going to just stop trying to get in synch with...the world at large. Its not working to do anything but make myself and everyone else a bit miserable...or maybe I could just nod and smile and no one will notice that I mostly can't even fathom what they are saying or why they're saying it.

Good grief...
Hi Snooks,

Don't you fret. You are not alone. I know a little of what you are feeling. Relax, and don't cut yourself off. Cwtch up to your Saviour, and rest in Him, and take in what you can when you can. Share with others when you can, but when you can't - stay silent and just keep on praising God..

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee.
In God I will praise His word,
in God I have put My trust;
I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.'

(Psalm 56:3-4)

Praise God!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@stunnedbygrace

Did you ever wonder if it is not you at all, but them? Maybe you just aren't into shallow conversations, and the deeper things you are interested in just goes over their head, so you feel you don't fit in. Dear, you're bored.

I know a lot about that, myself. I'm so heavenly minded, I'm no earthly good. All I want to talk about are my testimonies about talking with God, and He talking back. Thank goodness for these forums! But even here, I don't connect with many, and many believe I'm either delusional or a liar.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm better one on one too, guiliano, but this is extending even into one on one conversations. Someone wants me to help them decide which of 5 different outfits looks best. I sit through the fashion show and pick one. But then they want to know, WHY that one? What about it makes it best? So I just try to accommodate them by setting up a great chatter until they seem satisfied and will give permission for me to run away.

This isn't an awful state to be in. Its only awful to have to connect and try to act synched WHILE in this odd state.

Do you think that maybe the Lord is pulling you away for a while?
Maybe He wants to be one to one with you and shut out the world for a season. I know He did that with the mystics years ago.

And remember what is said about Anna in the temple...she was aside with the Lord...and one to recognize the coming of the baby Jesus ....

I am a believer in 'times and seasons' in our life. Maybe this is a season for you. Ask Him. xx

Just a thought.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then I feel like I'm arrogant because I'm not caring what someone else wants to talk about. But my gosh, the weather again? Why?? What is the point of having a conversation about how cold it is when everyone already knows its cold? But then there was a conversation about which pieces of cornbread were best, end pieces, less browned pieces, more browned pieces. Oh my gosh...
I think some conversations are meant to show a willingness to be friendly. If nothing significant comes to mind, the conversations can be trivial. Sometimes people may want to talk to you to show they like you but aren't sure what's safe to talk about and what isn't, or maybe they don't have anything meaningful on their minds. You can steer some conversations into more meaningful topics sometimes by personalizing them. If someone says how cold it is, you could agree and say you like their scarf and ask where they bought it. Many people want more meaningful discussions so they'll welcome your steering it that way. One thing can lead to another. As people feel more comfortable talking about themselves with you, some may open up. I think most people do want to talk about more than the weather but may not be sure if they should. You can steer them into it sometimes.

"Oh how cold it's been."

"Yeah, I wish I was a kid again and enjoyed playing in the snow."

If they have kids, that may get them talking about them. That can be boring too though depending on the person.

Last year, I heard a news story about the price of insulin. I was shocked. The next time I worked at the pizza store, I asked two people with diabetes about it. Lucky for them, they were on other less costly drugs to control their diabetes. I enjoyed those conversations since I learned something from them and it also let them know I cared about them. I like to ask questions. Try asking people questions on topics that interest you.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @stunnedbygrace,

You can learn a lot about people by what they underline in their Bibles. When my Mother died, I had her Bible, and one of the verses she had underlined was (Psa 141:3) 'Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.' I know how she felt!! :)

Love
In Christ Jesus
Chris

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A really strange thing is happening to me that I have never experienced, at least not to this extent. It doesn't have me scared exactly, but just...confused and greatly out of sorts.

I suddenly can't synch with anything or anyone around me. The result of it is that I am trying, almost desperately hard, to synch in some way with anyone or anything, to try to prove to myself that I'm not going insane. It is not working and I think people seem like strange bugs to me and I seem like a strange bug to them. All my efforts to feel in synch are getting confused stares and I think...impatience? I think I am talking and chattering too much in an attempt to keep tethered or connected to others?

I have felt this nonsynching thing briefly or...sporadically for short periods of time before but its really extreme now and I'm not quite certain what to do but maybe just stop trying so hard to synch or feel...connected in some way.

On the one hand, im a bit peaceful as long as I'm alone. On the other hand, I'm a bit confused when I'm not alone. Its taking monumental effort on my part to even want to try to feel connected, like I don't even want to try any more, but then, alternately, it feels that to stop trying would be to snap away the rest of the way and become completely untethered from...normalcy?

I'm quite aware that I sound mentally imbalanced, and if I werent aware of it, the puzzled stares alone would clue me in. And now I'm thinking I should not even post this because it seems just another attempt to connect that will get more odd stares and possibly suggestions to seek out a mental health professional.

I said I would go to lunch with a small group of people yesterday. While driving there, I was thinking, oh my gosh, this was a bad idea, why didn't I just say no, now I will have to try to talk with them and I don't know how to pull myself to them and keep myself there!

Yeah, I think I'm going to just stop trying to get in synch with...the world at large. Its not working to do anything but make myself and everyone else a bit miserable...or maybe I could just nod and smile and no one will notice that I mostly can't even fathom what they are saying or why they're saying it.

Good grief...
Ha!...you are drowning in the Spirit!

Fear not.

But you will need to learn to walk in two worlds, to snorkel so to speak, to walk like Einstein.

Breathe. All is well.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Snooks,

Don't you fret. You are not alone. I know a little of what you are feeling. Relax, and don't cut yourself off. Cwtch up to your Saviour, and rest in Him, and take in what you can when you can. Share with others when you can, but when you can't - stay silent and just keep on praising God..

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris
OIP.XJ5cqcOypUBpr-1T9bRIAwAAAA
I have this picture on a bookmark in my bible to remind me of God's love for me and how he wants me to cwtch up to him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then I feel like I'm arrogant because I'm not caring what someone else wants to talk about. But my gosh, the weather again? Why?? What is the point of having a conversation about how cold it is when everyone already knows its cold? But then there was a conversation about which pieces of cornbread were best, end pieces, less browned pieces, more browned pieces. Oh my gosh...
Repetition is by design, our teacher...If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times ;). Good of you to notice the redundancy.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys are very kind! I was just having a little hissy fit I think. I probably need more patience or something.

"I probably need more patience or something."

You and me both! I can easily become irritated by people, I joke around allot and that seems to break the ice, OR it can cause people to think I'm a jerk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have a friend who calls me and will talk ALL DAY if I let her. She drones on and on about NOTHING! On my end of the phone, my eyes are rolling and I'm making all kinds of "OH PLEASE" faces...I can tell her I need to get off the phone yet, it is like she doesn't hear me, as I can say I have to get off several times and at that point I just know my irritation is coming through my voice...then I feel guilty :rolleyes:
People can be very hard to love yet, we are called to do just that. Trivial small talk is such a waste of time, even if I have nothing going on. And, if the person is not receptive of my talking about God it gets very annoying as they just want to complain about just about everything! Can be difficult...maybe we are loners? This might sound bad but, I would much rather sit in a room full of animals rather than other people!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm definitely an introvert by nature. But that was even before I met God. I read a book about it recently. Introvert does not mean what I thought it meant. The definition of an introvert, they say, is solely in how they recharge their batteries/feel refreshed. Its through alone time. But what charges my batteries would exhaust an extrovert.

It doesn't have to do with being shy or antisocial. And come to think of it, by what the book said, my exhaustion and inability to focus on conversation, are due to needing some alone time, but I had forgotten about the book...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not at all one for small talk as it is just a waste of breath (IMHO).
That's me too! I love to talk with people about the Lord, but so few people I meet, even though they claim to be Christians, want to do that. They talk about sports or the weather or you name it... anything but the things of God!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"This world is not my home; I'm just a passin through.
If Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?
The angels beckon me, from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world any more."
Those exact same words came to me Mike when I began reading this thread. I almost did what you did [post them] but then I decided I should first read the whole thread... so here I am understanding better, but still understanding not well at all.

Reactions: Nancy