I just want to get this off my chest, concerning hypocrisy in the church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Guestman said:
Am I a "tad off " ? Not at all. The dictionary defines "catholic" as "all-embracing: interested in or sympathetic to a wide range of things".(Microsoft Encarta Dictionary) And that is just what the Catholic church became, an "all-embracing" religion that allowed both so-called Christianity to combine with pagan teachings and practices.

For example, of Christmas, the 2005 Microsoft Reference Library says that though it is supposed to be "based on the story of Jesus birth as described in the Gospel of Matthew.....and the Gospel according to Luke.....Roman Catholics first celebrated Christmas......as early as 336 AD. The word Christmas entered the English language sometime around 1050 as the Old English phrase Christes maesse, meaning "festival of Christ".

It then adds: "Most scholars believe that Christmas originated in the 4th century as a Christian substitute for pagan celebrations of the winter solstice.
too bad people are so busy studying Christianity rather than living it. I am not saying it's wrong to study these kinds of things, but when people get hung up on details and throw the Church out with the bathwater, something is terribly, terribly wrong. And that something is this: they are more into the brain than the soul... not following Jesus. Jesus gave us a church to study all this stuff and tell us what it means, so we would not have to study it ourselves

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
people get hung up on details and throw the Church out with the bathwater,
The problem is mans church threw out our Lords church and forgot the details.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
The problem is mans church threw out our Lords church and forgot the details.
do you think Jesus did not KNOW beforehand that humans would try to tear up his Church (Luther, etc) with their own interpretations, etc ?? Of course He knew. He knows humans infinitely better than they could begin to know themselves. And so He made His Church infallible.

He's capable of that, dont you think?

"I will build My Church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it" Mt 16:18

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He's capable of that, dont you think?
Oh yes i have no doubt, but His is a spirtual church built on spiritual principles where rmen are taught of God and not by man. For man was not so foolish to think that man who is carnal , stubborn and arrogant wold be able to do any good. just look at the pharrisees of old, nothings changed.

See God is building His church on revelation, it was teh rock that Jesus spoke of, it is a sure and solid foundation, but the carnal mind of man cannot comprhend the spiritual things of God, they all get mad, funny isnt it.

Oh and that is why in revelation it says," come out of her my people", But they dont want to they love it there.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
t.

Oh and that is why in revelation it says," come out of her my people", But they dont want to they love it there.
come out of WHERE?

are your interpretations of the Word infallible?

Y should i trust YOURs rather than someone else's? rather than the RC Church's?? There is no reason i should--plenty of reason i should trust Jesus (His church)

(and it goes w/o saying we should "come out of" anything that is anti-Christ... I wish we could come out of this election.. with a Christian president. But the media and the crooked so and sos in DC dont want a Christian president... They want the liberal corruptible ones like DT and HC, the ones who go along to get along.. & the ones who go along to get rich (at the taxpayer's expense)

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Guestman said:
Am I a "tad off " ? Not at all. The dictionary defines "catholic" as "all-embracing: interested in or sympathetic to a wide range of things".(Microsoft Encarta Dictionary) And that is just what the Catholic church became, an "all-embracing" religion that allowed both so-called Christianity to combine with pagan teachings and practices.
For example, of Christmas, the 2005 Microsoft Reference Library says that though it is supposed to be "based on the story of Jesus birth as described in the Gospel of Matthew.....and the Gospel according to Luke.....Roman Catholics first celebrated Christmas......as early as 336 AD. The word Christmas entered the English language sometime around 1050 as the Old English phrase Christes maesse, meaning "festival of Christ".
It then adds: "Most scholars believe that Christmas originated in the 4th century as a Christian substitute for pagan celebrations of the winter solstice. Before the introduction of Christmas, each year beginning on December 17 Romans honored Saturn, the ancient god of agriculture, in a festival called Saturnalia.......(that) included the winter solstice, which usually occurred around December 25. During Saturnalia the Romans feasted, postponed all business and warfare, exchanged gifts, and temporarily freed their slaves"
It continued saying: "Although the Gospels describe Jesus' birth in detail, they never mention the date.....The Roman Catholic Church chose December 25 as the day for the Feast of the Nativity to give Christian meaning to existing pagan rituals. For example, the Church replaced festivities honoring the birth of Mithra, (ancient Persian) god of light, with festivities to commemorate the birth of Jesus.......The Catholic Church hoped to draw pagans into its religion by allowing them to continue their revelry while simultaneously honoring the birth of Jesus."
"Over the next 1000 years, the observance of Christmas followed the expansion of Christianity into the rest of Europe and into Egypt. Along the way, Christian beliefs combined with existing pagan feasts and winter rituals to create the many long-standing traditions of Christmas celebrations. For example, ancient (pagan) Europeans believed that the mistletoe plant held magic powers to bestow life and fertility.....Northern Europeans associated the plant with the Norse goddess of love, Freya, and developed the custom of kissing underneath mistletoe branches. Christians incorporated this custom into their Christmas celebrations, and kissing under a mistletoe branch eventually became part of secular Christian tradition."
What about the cross that is supposed to be the English rendering of the Greek stauros ? Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible says of stau·ros: "a stake or pole (as set upright)" as it's first meaning. W. E. Vine (1873-1949), English Biblical scholar, theologian and writer, says on this subject: “STAUROS (σταυρός) denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake. On such malefactors (or wrongdoers) were nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroo, to fasten to a stake or pale, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two beamed cross.”
Vine then goes on to say: “By the middle of the 3rd cent. A.D. the churches had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the cross of Christ.” (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, 1981, Vol. 1, p. 256)
And this is just the beginning of unmasking what the Roman Catholic church consists of. So, the word "catholic" is definitely "all-embracing", embracing pagan beliefs and traditions left and right.
The word Catholic doesn't stem from the Bible and does not mean the same thing as Roman Catholic. You can use all the dictionaries you want in the world but it's not going to help you to understand what the Bible says. I suggest you take a course in Greek then you might have a better shot at understanding what the New Testament says, and while you're at it you might consider taking up Hebrew as well so you can really delve into the Old Testament.
As far as Christmas is concerned we're way beyond that now so maybe you should have brought that up when we were dealing with the issue but I have no desire to rehash an old subject.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
Are you infallible?
I will listen to a 2000 year old Church before I will listen to you. You are not infallible. The Church is
Oh yes, the famous fall back of the inculcated.

Here's what the Bible tells you.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn't need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)

The Church is the body of Christ, not an institution of ecclesiastic endeavor. The head of the Church is Christ, not the Pope.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
are your interpretations of the Word infallible?

Y should i trust YOURs rather than someone else's? rather than the RC Church's?? There is no reason i should--plenty of reason i should trust Jesus (His church)
I dont interpret the bible, have you not read,

2Pe_1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

you rely on false teachers, the bold lettering of your post already suggests that your spirit and you flesh are a waring with one another, seems your flesh is winning. Teh truth makes people mad. shows in your post.

come out of WHERE?
you do know what a whore is, do you not, See Christ is building His church, never gave any man permission to do it for Him, the world chutrches are just like a whore, displaying her wares for the world selling her self for a price, God has already begun to lift her skirts to show her shame to teh world, but still man prefer the whore to the true bride of christ. god cant help it if man prefer cheap perfume to teh glory of God.

Remember you did ask.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
StanJ said:
The word Catholic doesn't stem from the Bible
LOL

the word Bible is not in the Bible

"do anything you want; you are saved anyway" is not in the Bible

"Trinity" is not in the Bible

so much 4 that argument

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
I dont interpret the bible, have you not read,
makes no sense
There is no reason to read it if you don't u/stand it or try to. You read a psg and think it means thus and so. Someone else reads the same thing and thinks it means something different

who is correct?

if they disagree, then one of them is wrong, possibly both

we need a church

fortunately we have one

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
the word Bible is not in the Bible
"do anything you want; you are saved anyway" is not in the Bible
"Trinity" is not in the Bible
so much 4 that argument
The Bible is used to indicate a collection of scriptures. We also call it God's word. We also call it the scripture. You're right Trinity is not in the Bible but the concept thereof is indeed taught in the Bible from Genesis 1 all the way to revelation and if you actually knew the Bible as you purport you do then you would know that. You actually have to understand the argument before you can dismiss it. The concept of the RCC is not taught in the Bible or scripture or whatever you want to call it. Try sticking to the point and not deflecting to all these inane comments.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against the Catholic church.

But...the popes through history have not been "infallible". They have been all too human...a few of them, regrettably so.

Besides, I just can't see Peter in the role of "Pope". Didn't he and Paul both defer to the authority of the church at Jerusalem?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ScaliaFan said:
you
rely on false teachers
b/c you rely on yourself

and you are merely human. The Church is divine
When you say "the Church", I do hope you are talking about every saved believer, no matter what denomination they belong to.
That Church is, as you say, Divine, because Jesus is it's head.
All of those denomnations are to our shame....and that included Roman Catholicism, who is the mother of harlots...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
who is correct?
God Jesus and teh Holy Spirit, hey never disagree, unlike men

Probably both

we need a church
No we need the truth, Jesus is the truth and in Him there is no lie

fortunately we have one
Yes, teh one that Jesus is building, made up of Spirituallly minded people not carnal men. Has christ as teh head and no man to defile it.

Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to teach men the truth, so they would not have to put up with the lies and deceipt of man, God cant help it that men would rather believe a lie than the truth, he did say it would be that way.

As Barrd said, we dont hate catholics, but the catholic religion has a lot to answer for, and it will be held accoutable for all teh crimes it has comitted over the centuries. Now if you want to be a part of that, it is your own choice, not Gods.

Rev 18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

God wont forget.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
mjrhealth said:
God Jesus and teh Holy Spirit, hey never disagree, unlike men

Probably both

No we need the truth, Jesus is the truth and in Him there is no lie

Yes, teh one that Jesus is building, made up of Spirituallly minded people not carnal men. Has christ as teh head and no man to defile it.

Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to teach men the truth, so they would not have to put up with the lies and deceipt of man, God cant help it that men would rather believe a lie than the truth, he did say it would be that way.

As Barrd said, we dont hate catholics, but the catholic religion has a lot to answer for, and it will be held accoutable for all teh crimes it has comitted over the centuries. Now if you want to be a part of that, it is your own choice, not Gods.

Rev 18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

God wont forget.
Whoa!
Did Mj just agree with The Barrd???

And they say miracles have ceased!

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
you
rely on false teachers
b/c you rely on yourself
and you are merely human. The Church is divine
This is one of the reasons why Catholics such as yourself get in trouble coming onto forums like CB. Nobody in the church is divine except for its head which is Jesus. The institution is not Divine it's an institution. I think you really need to read a lot more of the Bible to understand that but I can guarantee you there is not one Catholic priest I've ever met that said the RCC institution is divine. Why do you keep ignoring 2 Timothy 2:15?

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScaliaFan said:
makes no sense
There is no reason to read it if you don't u/stand it or try to. You read a psg and think it means thus and so. Someone else reads the same thing and thinks it means something different

who is correct?

we need a church

fortunately we have one
Can you clear something up for us? Do you think Jesus' Church only includes the RCC, or do you believe it also includes people from other Christian protestant denominations? Do you think you have to be a member of the RCC to be saved?

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
The Barrd said:
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against the Catholic church.

But...the popes through history have not been "infallible". They have been all too human...a few of them, regrettably so.

Besides, I just can't see Peter in the role of "Pope". Didn't he and Paul both defer to the authority of the church at Jerusalem?
u dont u/stand the RCC