"I quite like males with earrings": a low-key, respectful discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"I quite like males with earrings"

• Yes, I quite like it/am content with it

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No (with varying shades of emphasis)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Decline to comment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Not worried either way...

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ziggy FYI, I guess this discussion obliquely relates to similar ones we have had; often ear piercing and tattoos go together, if not always with the same clients, then with people of similar skillsets housed under the roof of the same establishment; and just as for a long time now men get their ears pierced as well as women, again for a long time now women are very comfortable with being tattooed.

(The poll results so far, above, seem to indicate that posters also are generally pretty comfortable with men's ear piercing....)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally don't find it attractive, but then I'm 56 years old and divorced twice and don't look at people for the "attraction" any more.
It's the spirit of a person that attracts my attention. I don't really care what they wear or how they adorn themselves.
If they feel comfortable, fine. If not, fine.
I don't judge people on their appearances one way or the other.
Do unto others...
Hugs
not sure how to answer the poll...
que sera sera.. ?

Hugs

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I personally don't find it attractive, but then I'm 56 years old and divorced twice and don't look at people for the "attraction" any more.
It's the spirit of a person that attracts my attention. I don't really care what they wear or how they adorn themselves.
If they feel comfortable, fine. If not, fine.
I don't judge people on their appearances one way or the other.
Do unto others...
Hugs
not sure how to answer the poll...
que sera sera.. ?

Hugs
@Ziggy; thanks; and there is even a 'decline to comment' option in the poll...

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy; thanks; and there is even a 'decline to comment' option in the poll...
That would be difficult declining to comment seeing I commented though. :)

I will go with the first choice, not because I like it, or don't like it.
But if the person getting it is happy, then I'm happy..
Hugs

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Exodus 21:5-6 But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That would be difficult declining to comment seeing I commented though. :)

I will go with the first choice, not because I like it, or don't like it.
But if the person getting it is happy, then I'm happy..
Hugs
@Ziggy Kind of contained in the first response option, really, in any case.... :)

Thanks for your feedback....

Re. 'I... don't look at people for the "attraction" '; this is good...

It's such a widespread custom for men now, anyway. Already, some 40 years ago, at local church baptisms by immersion that I recall attending, it was a well established custom then, and some of the young men being baptized would have worn earrings. I guess it's not necessarily a matter of whether one is 'attracted' but rather simply an acknowledgment that it's such a widespread and benign practice and has been established as such for decades.

I know the title is borrowed from Helen's comment.

It used to be in the mid-20th century that women pierced their ears and men got tattoos; but for so long now, men have also pierced their ears and women have thoroughly gotten the confidence to get tattooed.

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Exodus 21:5-6 But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.
@Pearl Thanks for those verses....

Although when men do it now, they are not necessarily thinking of those verses at all - to say the least - it's such a well established custom with a lot of history.

In the mid-20th century, it was women who pierced their ears and men who got tattoos.

Now so many men also have the confidence to put in earrings - often of a rugged, manly variety; and so many women get naturally and confidently tattooed. This is how it is now...

I remember when my male cousin first appeared with his earring, some decades ago. It was already such a widespread custom for men to do, that no one in the family even commented, that I recall.

You probably remember when women in your family first got tattooed; again, it's now such an established custom also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What it has to do with Jesus is to tell Jesus that you love the things of the world more than the Father. In recent times, men with earrings was a sign of rebellion and an expression of homosexuality.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1 John 2:15)

I guess it would depend on why they wear them, then.

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What can we know about a person from the outside? The one who appears so good in appearance and actions in most public places may just be putting on a careful facade. God knows! Will He share that with us? If we are walking with Him AND according to God we need to know.

I don't mind earrings on men (not long women's earrings but studs or small rings) but God looks at the heart.

I love jewellery, styled bobbed hair, handbags and shoes, and that's fine but women in some churches like Amish or Holiness churches would prefer hair uncut and play her clothes with no adornments. It's about preference or personal conviction. God isn't like us, He looks at the heart!

Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
An unadorned plain dresses headcovered Christian woman in an Amish or Holiness church is no less or more acceptable to God than a woman in heels with bangles and coiffed hair.

Our righteousness is imparted through the shed blood of Jesus alone

Reactions: Renniks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess it would depend on why they wear them, then.
@GodsBeloved11 Nearly 40 years ago I attended various local church baptisms by immersion and it was a widely established custom then, as now, for some young men to wear earrings. These would have included some of the young men being baptized then, who might now be in their 50s or approaching 60s.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't mind earrings on men (not long women's earrings but studs or small rings) but God looks at the heart.

I love jewellery, styled bobbed hair, handbags and shoes, and that's fine but women in some churches like Amish or Holiness churches would prefer hair uncut and play her clothes with no adornments. It's about preference or personal conviction. God isn't like us, He looks at the heart!

@GodsBeloved11 Before the First World War, a lot of women seemed to wear really floppy dresses and really wispy hairstyles. After the First World War, these styles seemed to be a bit impractical and so many women had nice bob cuts instead. (They would be the great, great, great-grandmothers of young women today...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
An unadorned plain dresses headcovered Christian woman in an Amish or Holiness church is no less or more acceptable to God than a woman in heels with bangles and coiffed hair.

Our righteousness is imparted through the shed blood of Jesus alone
@GodsBeloved11 Yes I indeed agree about imputed righteousness by faith.

You would have enjoyed a conversation my wife had with a friend of ours after church a few years ago.

My wife: I see you can still walk in your six-inch heels...

Our friend: Six inches? these are seven inches...

:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks for those verses, @Pearl Just goes to show how far back it goes, right?

Whether or not there is the doctrinal association as in those verses you kindly quoted; and whether or not people actually do it (men as well as women), it does go to show how far back it goes.

And benign.

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My preference is for a man to wear a diamond in his ear , or both ears.
@Helen My 2c...and not in respect of anyone else...is that IF indeed a son/grandson really wants to have it done, it can simply be a quiet and appreciated b-day or Christmas gift for him...

Not if he doesn't want it; but if he does, when he just gently and confidently goes for it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for those verses, @Pearl Just goes to show how far back it goes, right?

Whether or not there is the doctrinal association as in those verses you kindly quoted; and whether or not people actually do it (men as well as women), it does go to show how far back it goes.

And benign.
Because of those verses some of the men at my church way back had ear piercings and we used to sing a song about it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Because of those verses some of the men at my church way back had ear piercings and we used to sing a song about it.
@Pearl

IF indeed he wants to have it done, it's just an ideal gift for grandparents to give to a grandson, anyway.

(Whether for a granddaughter or a grandson, it can be something just gracious that helps them develop their personal style and confidence.)

Just my 2c....

(As long as he's reading his Bible for the priorities in life and eternity; that's the main thing...)

You said 'way back'; yes, it's so well established for men and boys that if they want to they can just go ahead and do it with confidence.

Last edited: