"I quite like males with earrings": a low-key, respectful discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"I quite like males with earrings"

• Yes, I quite like it/am content with it

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No (with varying shades of emphasis)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Decline to comment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Not worried either way...

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because of those verses some of the men at my church way back had ear piercings and we used to sing a song about it.

Sorry. I meant to say how did the song go??

It's late here and my brain sometimes stops working afyer.10pm

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
am v glad.that earrings are accepted as ok for women biblically because I do like them...
@GodsBeloved11 In fact, for women, 2 in each earlobe are almost standard now, right? Over here, in any case; maybe with you guys in the UK also.

I think that in the late 70s/early 80s when teen girls - and their moms - started widely having 2 put in each side, when there was a teen girl's brother who wasn't allowed even one little ring in one ear it must have seemed as if it would have been unfair if mom, with 2 each side and with a daughter with 2 each side, would not even let him have one in one ear. (Such are customs and precedents that develop, right?)

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Never understood why noserings are frowned upon in the church, when Rebekah, wife of Isaac, wore one in Genesis!

Reactions: farouk

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@GodsBeloved11 In fact, for women, 2 in each earlobe are almost standard now, right? Over here, in any case; maybe with you guys in the UK also.

I think that in the late 70s/early 80s when teen girls - and their moms - started widely having 2 put in each side, when there was a teen girl's brother who wasn't allowed even one little ring in one ear it must have seemed as if it would have been unfair if mom, with 2 each side and with a daughter with 2 each side, would not even let him have one in one ear. (Such are customs and precedents that develop, right?)

Yeah it sometimes a thing for some women to wear more than one set of holes. I had two sets at one time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah it sometimes a thing for some women to wear more than one set of holes. I had two sets at one time.
@GodsBeloved11 Yes, girls have second holes done when they are growing up. Mind you, so many mature women have them now also, and have done for decades.

(It's hard for a parent to say a son shouldn't have any ear piercings when mom and grandmother will often have had 2 sets of piercings for decades.)

From what you say, sounds like you have preferred to revert to the more minimalist one each side.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been some discussion before - though not recently - about earrings for men; but early last year Helen commented, as above, in the quote.

Those who have nothing to contribute will doubtless not feel the need to do so (!), but anyone who does have something to offer: respectful comments, please...
It's a generational thing. In my youth and in the USA, the only men that wore earrings were of dubious sexual orientation or pirates in the movies. The culture has changed.

Masculinity is actually frowned upon or redefined. Men are told to embrace their feminine side or their inner child. The traditional and biological roles of men are actively being challenged and attacked throughout popular culture. The Bible is under attack for defining gender roles.

Active participation and approval of popular culture is biblically described as enmity with God.

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:4

Maybe I'm misunderstanding James 4:4, but how else would you apply such a verse?

Reactions: Brakelite

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a non issue, surely
The Bible disagrees with you for a bunch of reasons:

1. The idea behind Paul's teaching concerning the length of men's hair is that men are supposed to look like men as God intended. A man can't look like a man when he is wearing earrings or anything else that is gender specific to women. Ironically enough, Paul's statement in that passage shows that he was not anti-Law as many teach, particularly because his statement 100% agrees with the Law where God specifically prohibited men from wearing anything that is feminine in nature.

2. In 1 Thess. 5:22, Paul stresses the importance of Christians staying away from even looking like they are engaging in evil behavior by saying "abstain from all appearance of evil". Men wearing earrings is clearly a signal that they're rebelling against biblical virtues and norms.

3. Men wear earrings for purely vain reasons. They want to make themselves an object of people's attention or admiration. That alone says a lot about how much it opposes biblical virtues.

4. Some of the various instances where men are mentioned as wearing earrings involve God's servants telling the men to remove those earrings(Gen. 35:1-4, Exo. 25:22, Num. 31:50, Jdg. 8:24-26).

5. This is probably the most important reason: no man of God is ever mentioned as wearing earrings, at least while they were serving God. The only men who wore earrings were slaves or practitioners of paganism.