"I quite like males with earrings": a low-key, respectful discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"I quite like males with earrings"

• Yes, I quite like it/am content with it

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No (with varying shades of emphasis)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Decline to comment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Not worried either way...

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This is an uneducated answer. The Bible disagrees with you for a bunch of reasons:

1. The idea behind Paul's teaching concerning the length of men's hair is that men are supposed to look like men as God intended. A man can't look like a man when he is wearing earrings or anything else that is gender specific to women. Ironically enough, Paul's statement in that passage shows that he was not anti-Law as many teach, particularly because his statement 100% agrees with the Law where God specifically prohibited men from wearing anything that is feminine in nature.

2. In 1 Thess. 5:22, Paul stresses the importance of Christians staying away from even looking like they are engaging in evil behavior by saying "abstain from all appearance of evil". Men wearing earrings is clearly a signal that they're rebelling against biblical virtues and norms.

3. Men wear earrings for purely vain reasons. They want to make themselves an object of people's attention or admiration. That alone says a lot about how much it opposes biblical virtues.

4. Some of the various instances where men are mentioned as wearing earrings involve God's servants telling the men to remove those earrings(Gen. 35:1-4, Exo. 25:22, Num. 31:50, Jdg. 8:24-26).

5. This is probably the most important reason: no man of God is ever mentioned as wearing earrings, at least while they were serving God. The only men who wore earrings were slaves or practitioners of paganism.
Psalm 40: 'mine ears hast Thou opened'; Hebrew = "digged", i.e., pierced; in reference to the bondservant who chose to serve his master willingly and perpetually; Messianically, anticipates the Perfect Servant, Philippians 2.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Psalm 40: 'mine ears hast Thou opened'; Hebrew = "digged", i.e., pierced; in reference to the bondservant who chose to serve his master willingly and perpetually; Messianically, anticipates the Perfect Servant, Philippians 2.
One day last winter, I took an especially hot shower and melted all the wax out of my ears. Lol I read Psalm 40 and immediately and gently swabbed my outer ear canals. Both ears were bleeding! Wow! Coincidence? Perhaps...but I can hear much better since then! I here there a parallel between the physical and spiritual realms.

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible disagrees with you for a bunch of reasons:

1. The idea behind Paul's teaching concerning the length of men's hair is that men are supposed to look like men as God intended. A man can't look like a man when he is wearing earrings or anything else that is gender specific to women. Ironically enough, Paul's statement in that passage shows that he was not anti-Law as many teach, particularly because his statement 100% agrees with the Law where God specifically prohibited men from wearing anything that is feminine in nature.

2. In 1 Thess. 5:22, Paul stresses the importance of Christians staying away from even looking like they are engaging in evil behavior by saying "abstain from all appearance of evil". Men wearing earrings is clearly a signal that they're rebelling against biblical virtues and norms.

3. Men wear earrings for purely vain reasons. They want to make themselves an object of people's attention or admiration. That alone says a lot about how much it opposes biblical virtues.

4. Some of the various instances where men are mentioned as wearing earrings involve God's servants telling the men to remove those earrings(Gen. 35:1-4, Exo. 25:22, Num. 31:50, Jdg. 8:24-26).

5. This is probably the most important reason: no man of God is ever mentioned as wearing earrings, at least while they were serving God. The only men who wore earrings were slaves or practitioners of paganism.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the scripture references. Very informative

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@GodsBeloved11 It's interesting that obliquely, some of the thought behind Psalm 40 is relevant; In Hebrew, 'mine ears hast Thou opened' (Hebrew="digged", i.e., pierced), referring to the Old Testament bondservant who would wish to serve his master for ever, willingly, and this fits with the Perfect Servant, in Philippians 2, Who was 'obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross'.

Ear piercing for males is not strictly necessary at all. But its background from the Old Testament can be instructive.
Except that isn't the reason why you are promoting ear rings. It's all about aesthetics and pride and ego, you can't even use the excuse of it being a witness as you do with tattoos. Your reference to Psalm 40 is totally phony.

Reactions: amadeus

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Beware of new fads and fashions but... It could be regrettable

stretched-ear-lobe-pierci-014.jpg

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anything I comment can be set aside, - and this thread can even be closed, or cease through disuse - but read and study what Psalm 40 says: it is clear.

Yes, Ps 40 is clear that it does not speak of ear piercing, in verse 6, but it does speak of having our ears cleaned out, by God, so that we can hear God's voice and understand his message to us as His Saints.

God requires our hearts, not sacrifices and burnt offerings: -

Psalm 40:6: - 6 Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.​
NKJV

He requires no mutilation of our bodies like the Gentiles do.

Shalom

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, Ps 40 is clear that it does not speak of ear piercing, in verse 6, but it does speak of having our ears cleaned out, by God, so that we can hear God's voice and understand his message to us as His Saints.

God requires our hearts, not sacrifices and burnt offerings: -

Psalm 40:6: - 6 Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.​
NKJV

He requires no mutilation of our bodies like the Gentiles do.

Shalom
The word there in Hebrew is 'digged', referring to the bondservant's ear piercing. Whether or not ppl pierce their ears is entirely a separate matter, but this is what the Hebrew says.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The word there in Hebrew is 'digged', referring to the bondservant's ear piercing. Whether or not ppl pierce their ears is entirely a separate matter, but this is what the Hebrew says.

How about "digging" out the wax from our ears so that we can hear better.

Biblehub suggest that the Hebrew word used in this verse is the only occurrence in the OT.

A portion snipped from the screen: -
upload_2021-10-3_8-8-29.png

Your understanding may not be in line with the context of the verse in which this Hebrew word is found.

I agree that the embedded Hebrew Root word has the meaning of "digging" or "to dig" but that limits the context of the word.

Strong tells us this: -

upload_2021-10-3_8-12-43.png

I hope that you do not mind if I reject your understanding of this particular instance.

Shalom

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
How about "digging" out the wax from our ears so that we can hear better.

Biblehub suggest that the Hebrew word used in this verse is the only occurrence in the OT.

A portion snipped from the screen: -
View attachment 17851

Your understanding may not be in line with the context of the verse in which this Hebrew word is found.

I agree that the embedded Hebrew Root word has the meaning of "digging" or "to dig" but that limits the context of the word.

Strong tells us this: -

View attachment 17852

I hope that you do not mind if I reject your understanding of this particular instance.

Shalom
The Strong's ref. gives 'to bore'.

Exodus 21:6 then his master is to bring him before the judges. And he shall take him to the door or doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he shall serve his master for life.

In Exodus 21.6:

"Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Conjunctive perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 7527: To bore, pierce"

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Strong's ref. gives 'to bore'.

Exodus 21:6 then his master is to bring him before the judges. And he shall take him to the door or doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he shall serve his master for life.

In Exodus 21.6:

"Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Conjunctive perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 7527: To bore, pierce"

But this verse is talking about ownership and the means of identifying that the person is a servant for life with this master.

It has nothing to do with earrings, nor does it justify the use of earrings.

Do you need a stray bail to find the right straw to justify the context that you are trying to justify.

This is your second attempt to do so.

Shalom

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But this verse is talking about ownership and the mans of identifying that the person is a servant for life with this master.

It has nothing to do with earrings, nor does it justify the use of earrings.

Do you need a stray bail to find the right straw to justify the context that you are trying to justify.

This is your second attempt to do so.

Shalom
Well, you may forget completely about the wearing of earrings today; but what the passage says seems clear.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I will go with the first choice, not because I like it, or don't like it.
But if the person getting it is happy, then I'm happy..
Hugs
@Ziggy

The thread is proving to contain some interesting discussions; some ppl seem to have strong views, one way or another; for others it seems to be less of a matter to have strong views on.

I guess that where there is precedent in Scripture about the bondservant ear piercing, it's hard to be categorically hostile from a Scripture perspective, even though one might have strong personal preferences in favour or against.