I Wake Up, The Girdle Of Truth Is First On! (My spiritual belt)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I woke up the other morning and my morning routine usually goes with a little prayer and then I get spiritually dressed for battle. The spiritual belt of truth is my first defensive weapon I put on and then I grab my breastplate, shoes, shield, helmet and sword, all of the spirit.

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I went out to mow the grass in our yard. It usually takes about 2 hours. Half way through, there was this dark cloud of emotions that had been building up and came upon me. There were a few tears. Sometimes, I like to drink a beer or 2 when I cut grass (truth be told). I felt the worst condemnation and thought at first this was coming from God! It depressed me after I finished cutting our yard. I prayed about it and the emotions I was feeling. So, I have bigger strongholds being broken every day, a couple of beer seems petty at this particular time. Later, that day or maybe it was the next day. I cleared all distractions from my mind, prayed again. I only remember one gentle whisper and it wasn't condemnation. It was a loving whisper from the spirit of our Lord Jesus. "This will pass." is what I heard about feeling so emotional and feeling condemned about the beer and cutting grass. The Lord has not yet Convicted me of beer while mowing grass ;) He may in the future, but not now. I was led to a study, by the spirit of Christ in me, "Condemnation vs Conviction!" This has nothing to do about my beer (just used that as my example), some Christians have difficulty with Sugar, Obesity, Lieing, etc. Each one of us has our own earthly experiences and in your walk with the Lord, he and only he will convict you of what he wants to change in you so that you become more Christ like. My true life scenario I just gave is one of many! Welcome to Spiritual Warfare!! I would like to post a link to an eye opener of truth. It has freed me from the dark cloud the evil one tried to place on me the day I was mowing grass and drinking a beer. This is not the only resource I have used when learning the truth about "Condemnation and Conviction." I use many an I read scripture to make sure it is Truth and from our Lord! But take a look at this from desiringgod.org on Condemnation and Conviction. Then go look for other resources on the same subject, pray about it, and KNOW THE TRUTH. Do not let Satan rob you of the truth and take away your joy in your salvation. His goal is to separate us from our Father in Heaven.

The Link

The Devil Cannot Condemn You: How to Kill Accusations with Conviction

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking alcohol is however generally discouraged by the Bible (Proverbs 20:1, Proverbs 23:29-34, Ephesians 5:18).

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking alcohol is however generally discouraged by the Bible (Proverbs 20:1, Proverbs 23:29-34, Ephesians 5:18).

All sins are discouraged by the bible ;) However, a sin for you may not necessarily be a sin for me. It's what you choose to worship over and/or in place of God. When the Lord convicts me of drinking a beer, he will do so. Just like there are somethings he may not have convicted you of yet?

By the way getting drunk is discouraged, not just drinking alcohol. (Do we stop using Nyquil cold and cough medicine?) Eating unhealthy and becoming obese is discouraged. Being lazy is discouraged. Being self centered is discouraged. I can keep going? You missed the whole point.

"Fundamentalist worship the law!" instead "Worship the love of God which is beyond all comprehension!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Butterfly

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All sins are discouraged by the bible ;) However, a sin for you may not necessarily be a sin for me. It's what you choose to worship over and/or in place of God. When the Lord convicts me of drinking a beer, he will do so. Just like there are somethings he may not have convicted you of yet?

By the way getting drunk is discouraged, not just drinking alcohol. (Do we stop using Nyquil cold and cough medicine?) Eating unhealthy and becoming obese is discouraged. Being lazy is discouraged. Being self centered is discouraged. I can keep going? You missed the whole point.

"Fundamentalist worship the law!" instead "Worship the love of God which is beyond all comprehension!"
I would only suggest that you look up the scriptures referenced.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait until you hear a voice from heaven before you begin to obey things that are clearly laid out for you in God's word.

But be careful...if you lack discernment, you may be inclined to pass off that voice from heaven (the conviction of the Holy Spirit) as being of the devil.

I would warn you that if you do that for too long, you will not be fit for the kingdom when it arrives...and will die in your sins.

Last edited:

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait until you hear a voice from heaven before you begin to obey things that are clearly laid out for you in God's word.

But be careful...if you lack discernment, you may be inclined to pass off that voice from heaven (the conviction of the Holy Spirit) as being of the devil.

I would warn you that if you do that for too long, you will not be fit for the kingdom when it arrives...and will die in your sins.

In another post, I spoke of my brother being a Pastor. However, he is a "Fundamentalist" Pastor. It's not a doubt in my mind that he is a Christian and we will worship the Father together in Heaven some day. What is sad though, there is not a lot of love in his voice, even at family get togethers. He can't get past the law, like yourself justbyfaith. Missing out on the true love of Christ in this life. I died to the law when I accepted Christ in my life. I pray that you and my brother can somehow realize you 2 also died to the law. Satan is using the law as a trap to rob you of the true love of Christ. I'll pray for both of you. Love you Man.

PS: Your reply's are becoming a stumbling block for my walk with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I agree that we disagree with each other in love. This is my last reply.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have also died to the law...in my own life I know that there is no condemnation for me residing from the law. I am forgiven of all sin(s); past, present, and future.

But this does not mean that I am not governed also by the law on the inside (see Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16).

The love of the Lord is indeed shed abroad in my heart (Romans 5:5) through faith in Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14); and this love is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within me (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6; Romans 8:4).

Also, that I bear the fruit of the Spirit means that there is no law in existence that will condemn me for my behaviour (Galatians 5:22-23). And what this means is that as one who bears the fruit of the Spirit, I am a law-abiding citizen of the kingdom; while I do not achieve this through attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts.

In Romans 3:21, we are told that there is a righteousness of the Lord apart from the law; but that both the law and the prophets testify to the fact that it is righteousness indeed!

B

Butterfly

Jesus would not have turned water into wine if we were not allowed to have a drink from time to time - he would have been seen as encouraging someone to sin If drinking was completely wrong.
I have never been much of a drinker, but will have a glass of pimms and lemonade one hot summers day with my family. I have never felt any condemnation with regards that drink, or at Christmas when I may have baileys in coffee.
Jshiii was sharing testamony, I think I will embrace the positive rather than look at something to find fault over.
Rita

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most assuredly, the Lord is able to make him stand.

I wonder however if his testimony would not encourage some alcoholic somewhere to believe that he also can have liberty to drink a beer; but in doing so he would be brought back into bondage.

I brought up a few scriptures that discourage the drinking of alcohol. And I think that it may be even wise to quote them here:

Pro 20:1, Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pro 23:29, Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Pro 23:30, They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Pro 23:31, Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pro 23:32, At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
Pro 23:33, Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
Pro 23:34, Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
Pro 23:35, They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Eph 5:18, And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

And so yes these scriptures do indeed speak of drunkenness not necessarily drinking; though the exhortation is to not even look upon the wine when it is red.

The problem is that many an alcoholic when they drink, say that they are not getting drunk: but it is clear to everyone else that this is exactly what they are doing!

If you have liberty to drink, have it to yourself before God (Romans 14:21-22) and don't weaken another man's conscience by drinking publicly, showing off your liberty; or by telling the world that you drank a beer before mowing your lawn and that it was the devil who tried to convict you over it.

Of course, if the only time you drink is when you are alone, that is the sure sign that you are an alcoholic.

Last edited:
B

Butterfly

Justbyfaith- If he had said he had loads of beer, and drank everyday I would grasp your concern , but it was ' a couple of beers while cutting the grass ' - and he mentioned that in context of relaying how the battle between condemnation and conviction can get mixed up.
I don't always understand this forum, people bounce on others for all kinds of reasons, playing Christian cops - and yet in many of the threads people are arguing between one another over all kinds of things and don't take into account how their words could create issues for others.
You obviously believe drinking is wrong , on any level ( that's how your posts have come across ) - obviously I may have interpreted that wrongly.
Not everyone , including Jesus, would agree with you ( hence my point about him turning water into wine ) Would the story, and testamony of that miracle be wise to relay to an alcoholic,maybe not, but it was placed in scripture to be read and conveyed. It's the context and meaning that is important - that is what I would prefer to focus on.
Rita

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that the scriptures that I quoted make a solid case that drinking is detrimental to the ones who practice it.

I have also found that those who make excuses, saying that they don't drink to get drunk, don't have any ground to stand on. If you aren't drinking it for the buzz, then drink soda! But if it has to be an alcoholic beverage, then the following scripture does apply:

1Co 6:12, All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

If it has to be an alcoholic beverage, then beware lest you become a mocker or a rager. At the last it will bite like a serpent and will sting like an adder.

It is not that I am judging anyone here either; but I do believe that the Lord would have me set forth a standard of righteousness concerning this, lest someone who is an alcoholic be stumbled by the liberty of someone who flaunts that liberty without any care for the one who might be stumbled by them. It is for them that I post the scriptures that I have posted.

I do believe that even those who believe they merely have liberty may be in bondage to the buzz and not even know it.

Ask yourself the question, Can I do without this for a period of three months? If you cannot, then I would say that there is a very good likelihood that this thing has you under its power and you didn't previously know it.

There is a difference between truly having liberty to do something and touting liberty as an excuse to practice a vice that holds you in its grip. That's not true liberty...that's bondage to sin.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Lord has not yet Convicted me of beer while mowing grass
Why would the Lord convict you about this foolishness when common sense tells you that working around machinery and drinking beer (or any alcoholic intake) is stupid? Alcohol impairs the faculties, and it does not mix with work.

The belt (or girdle) of truth is the written Word of God. It discourages the use of alcohol for many practical and spiritual reasons.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I didn't communicate the post very well. I just hope you are not Obese Enoch, because eating unhealthy is worse than drinking etoh. I also hope you don't take opioids.
I am neither obese nor have any interest in opioids. But if I were to drink beer while mowing my lawn, the neighbors would wonder whether I had any common sense.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would the Lord convict you about this foolishness when common sense tells you that working around machinery and drinking beer (or any alcoholic intake) is stupid? Alcohol impairs the faculties, and it does not mix with work.

The belt (or girdle) of truth is the written Word of God. It discourages the use of alcohol for many practical and spiritual reasons.

One question for you Enoch, are you obese? Are you perfect? Do you take Opioids? Are you perfect? Are you self righteous? Are you perfect? You must be perfect? Please share one sin that you are guilty of so we can pick it a part? Or go ahead and hide it in darkness. I dare you to bring one of your sins in to the light so everyone can see???

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am neither obese nor have any interest in opioids. But if I were to drink beer while mowing my lawn, the neighbors would wonder whether I had any common sense.

I live in the sticks.....no neighbors except deer and bear

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I live in the sticks.....no neighbors except deer and bear
In that case you should set up your own micro brewery and let the creatures get a taste also. Just kidding. Can you imagine a moose being ticketed for DUI?:cool: