I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My gift of tongues indicates to me that I do indeed have the gift of the Holy Ghost; and I know therefore that I am saved.

What about you?

On what basis do you think that you're saved?

@Jun2u
Careful there, you just may be wandering a bit from the word. I don't believe you will find it written that a person has to speak in tongues to know they are saved. LOL

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Careful there, you just may be wandering a bit from the word. I don't believe you will find it written that a person has to speak in tongues to know they are saved. LOL
I wasn't quite saying that anyway, my brother.

I was saying that if you have the gift of tongues, it is a sure sign that you are saved; not that if you don't have it it means that you aren't.

Iow, a man may not have the gift of the tongues and may be saved; but if a man has the gift of tongues he definitely is.

Reactions: Willie T
D

Dave L

I wasn't quite saying that anyway, my brother.

I was saying that if you have the gift of tongues, it is a sure sign that you are saved; not that if you don't have it it means that you aren't.

Iow, a man may not have the gift of the tongues and may be saved; but if a man has the gift of tongues he definitely is.
I would say, if he thinks he has the gift of tongues, he is deceived. The whole church would have it spontaneously, not learned as it is today, if it were real.

Reactions: Jeff Wiebe

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say, if he thinks he has the gift of tongues, he is deceived. The whole church would have it spontaneously, not learned as it is today, if it were real.
Oh, I think it is usually "real." But. I see it as an additional gift for which to be thankful..... not as proof of anything.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You who will not even confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh when asked the question point blank. You are very likely going to be left behind when the rapture hits.

D

Dave L

You who will not even confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh when asked the question point blank. You are very likely going to be left behind when the rapture hits.
You are the one who denies Jesus (the real one) came in the flesh.

Reactions: Jun2u

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I considered that his tongue was rising up against me in judgment (once again).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are the one who denies Jesus (the real one) came in the flesh.
I verily do confess that the real Jesus is come in the flesh...Jesus the Christ of Nazareth.

Isaiah 9:6 defines for me who He is; but you deny that scripture in its plain interpretation and have condemned me as a heretic because you do not understand that what I am setting forth is truly the Trinity as God intended it to be understood.

I suppose that you are just jealous that I understand it when you don't...because you approached the doctrine by looking at creeds instead of seeking to understand it from the word of the Lord.

D

Dave L

I verily do confess that the real Jesus is come in the flesh...Jesus the Christ of Nazareth.

Isaiah 9:6 defines for me who He is; but you deny that scripture in its plain interpretation and have condemned me as a heretic because you do not understand that what I am setting forth is truly the Trinity as God intended it to be understood.

I suppose that you are just jealous that I understand it when you don't...because you approached the doctrine by looking at creeds instead of seeking to understand it from the word of the Lord.
You deny the true Christ when you embrace Oneness which makes God a split personality. Covering all three bases, one at a time. The Bible (Trinity) reveals God in three persons covering all three bases at the same time...so to speak.

Reactions: Jun2u

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you study the original gift in light of scripture, apart from a denominational frame work, today's claims of having the gift are misguided.
I agree. They believe the tongues written in 1 Corinthians Chapters 12, 13, and 14 are alike with the phenomenon of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost!! Both are gifts yet they are totally different.

The gift of speaking in tongues in 1 Corinthians was possible and given to a few because the Bible was not yet complete and God was still bringing and adding to His Word. There must be an interpreter so that the church may be edified or remain silent.

The phenomenon of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit signified God had begun His plan to evangelize the world as we see Peter stood up and gave a sermon and three thousand were saved!!

Hear and understand O unlearned people what Scripture have to say.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isa 28:11, For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
Isa 28:12, To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Act 3:19, Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Jde 1:20, But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Jde 1:21, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You deny the true Christ when you embrace Oneness which makes God a split personality. Covering all three bases, one at a time. The Bible (Trinity) reveals God in three persons covering all three bases at the same time...so to speak.
Praise the Lord, you have misrepresented me once again. I have told you a million times (I am barely exaggerating) that I believe that our God is Triune. Now you can keep lying about me and eventually Revelation 21:8 will come into execution whether you think your sins are under the blood or not. Do not begin to say that you have Abraham to your father (Jesus as your Saviour). The axe is currently being laid to the root of the trees.

Trinity vs. Tritheism

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have no inkling or idea what Pentecost signified. When you have truly understood Pentecost correctly then come back and we will reason together.

It is actually YOU... that has little inkling of what the cloven tongue of Pentecost is for.

Explain to me what Peter quoted in Acts 2 from the Book of Joel, and I'll show you that you are in error.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since God's Word is now complete - whereas in transitional Apostolic times it was not - I do question why so called tongues are supposedly necessary.

They are part of the nine gifts of the spirit. If you discount tongues you have discount the other eight.

And the "God's word is complete" theory was invented by reformed theologians who did not want to entertain the supernatural.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree. They believe the tongues written in 1 Corinthians Chapters 12, 13, and 14 are alike with the phenomenon of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost!! Both are gifts yet they are totally different.

The gift of speaking in tongues in 1 Corinthians was possible and given to a few because the Bible was not yet complete and God was still bringing and adding to His Word. There must be an interpreter so that the church may be edified or remain silent.

The phenomenon of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit signified God had begun His plan to evangelize the world as we see Peter stood up and gave a sermon and three thousand were saved!!

Hear and understand O unlearned people what Scripture have to say.

To God Be The Glory
I would like anyone to show me in scripture where it says the nine gifts of the spirit will be withdrawn once the printed word is complete.

D

Dave L

Praise the Lord, you have misrepresented me once again. I have told you a million times (I am barely exaggerating) that I believe that our God is Triune. Now you can keep lying about me and eventually Revelation 21:8 will come into execution whether you think your sins are under the blood or not. Do not begin to say that you have Abraham to your father (Jesus as your Saviour). The axe is currently being laid to the root of the trees.

Trinity vs. Tritheism
You do not believe in the Christ of the scriptures if you are Oneness. You depict Jesus as a Norman Bates Psycho character (the 50's Alfred Hitchcock movie) with a split personality. That instead of "splitting" into the mother as Norman did, you have the Son splitting into the father at times. And then into the Holy Spirit at times. This is not the Triune God of the scriptures who is One God, having three distinct persons known as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are part of the nine gifts of the spirit. If you discount tongues you have discount the other eight.

And the "God's word is complete" theory was invented by reformed theologians who did not want to entertain the supernatural.

What a bunch of balderdash!

Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians wasn't even talking about an 'unknown tongue' (the word "unknown" in 1 Cor.14 was ADDED by the KJV translators). The translators apparently also wrongly assumed the gibberish tongue was the true cloven tongue of Pentecost. They had no translation authority to add that word "unknown" in 1 Cor.14.

Paul was teaching about "diversities of tongues", which means known languages of the world (1 Cor.12:28). If he had meant the cloven tongue of Pentecost he would not have said "diversities of tongues", which means various languages.

In 1 Cor.12, the gift of tongues (languages per the Greek) is last on Paul's list. He did not compare it as the best gift.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What a bunch of balderdash!

Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians wasn't even talking about an 'unknown tongue' (the word "unknown" in 1 Cor.14 was ADDED by the KJV translators). The translators apparently also wrongly assumed the gibberish tongue was the true cloven tongue of Pentecost. They had no translation authority to add that word "unknown" in 1 Cor.14.

Paul was teaching about "diversities of tongues", which means known languages of the world (1 Cor.12:28). If he had meant the cloven tongue of Pentecost he would not have said "diversities of tongues", which means various languages.

In 1 Cor.12, the gift of tongues (languages per the Greek) is last on Paul's list. He did not compare it as the best gift.

To use the words of another poster, what a load of balderdash!!