I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there was no incarnation of Jesus if he already existed. No sacrifice on the cross forgive sin because the Bible says it takes a man to pay the price, that God could not.
The statement that I made is in affirmation of the incarnation. I'm not sure where you're coming from on this.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not very likely those Apostles were speaking in their own normal language, since onlookers accused them of being drunk, and Peter had to stand up and explain why they were sounding like that. I do, however, think it is entirely possible, even probable, that they were expressing thoughts in what they felt was just normal speaking.

There is no evidence in Acts 2 that 'the Apostles'... themselves... heard themselves... speak anything other than their native language. There is no such thing as an 'unknown' tongue written of in God's Word. The cloven tongue is about the original one tongue that all peoples once spoke prior to the tower of Babel event. And Zeph.3 says He is going to return us all back to that one language.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I explained it well enough: My family member works in a hospital and has to communicate with those who don't speak English. They use some type of machine that interprets what one says in another language and tells you in English what is being said. So I wondered if it was possible to speak into one of those interpretation devices and have it translate to me in English what I was saying in another language. It didn't work with Siri but there are other programs that I may look into. It would tell us if what we speak is actually the tongue of another nationality or no nationality at all - just something God hears and understands if it is indeed of God.

I wouldn't rely on a machine and software to tell you whether the gibberish tongue is actually the true cloven tongue of Pentecost. You are stooping to try and use man's science instead of trusting the Word of God in Acts 2, which reveals how to recognize the true cloven tongue, i.e., those present will hear in their very dialect of the language of their birth.

Reactions: Willie T

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The statement that I made is in affirmation of the incarnation. I'm not sure where you're coming from on this.

You identified the second person of the Trinity is Jesus Christ. That is false.

If it were so then there was no need for the incarnation because Jesus Christ would've been eternal, without beginning. But he was not.

Your spirit is not your flesh. The spirit of Christ was not his flesh.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Persons of the Trinity then?

Are they not Father, Son, and Holy Ghost?

If you do not confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God then there is something wrong with you, 1 John 4:15, 1 John 5:5.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no evidence in Acts 2 that 'the Apostles'... themselves... heard themselves... speak anything other than their native language. There is no such thing as an 'unknown' tongue written of in God's Word.
There is no such thing as an “unknown tongue written of in God’s Word? What Bible are you reading? Surely not the inspired word.!!

If you want to learn about tongues go to 1 Corinthians Chapters 12; 13; and especially 14.

You big hitters and those who seems to be the pillars in these forums (you know who you are), and believe tongues is still for today, better read the huge warning written in 1Corinthians 14:22 which reads:

“Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not...

It is said that in the last days, Satan will perform signs and wonders!! Matthew 24:24

And Paul continues to explain from verse 23 all the way to verse 33 why prophesying in as little as five words spoken in a known tongue is much better than speaking in multitude of unknown tongues (gibberish).

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as an “unknown tongue written of in God’s Word? What Bible are you reading? Surely not the inspired word.!!

If you want to learn about tongues go to 1 Corinthians Chapters 12; 13; and especially 14.

You big hitters and those who seems to be the pillars in these forums (you know who you are), and believe tongues is still for today, better read the huge warning written in 1Corinthians 14:22 which reads:

“Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not...

It is said that in the last days, Satan will perform signs and wonders!! Matthew 24:24

And Paul continues to explain from verse 23 all the way to verse 33 why prophesying in as little as five words spoken in a known tongue is much better than speaking in multitude of unknown tongues (gibberish).

To God Be The Glory

There is no word "unknown" in the Greek texts of 1 Corinthians 14! The KJV translators added it!

1 Cor 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

KJV

Scratch that word "unknown" that was added there. It occurs 6 times in 1 Cor.14. Scratch each one.

Here instead is what Apostle Paul had begun to teach about in 1 Corinthians about the idea of tongues...

1 Cor 12:28
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
KJV

The word "diversities" is genos in the Greek, meaning kinds. And the word "tongues" is Greek glossa meaning KNOWN languages of the world. It's about the ability to speak many languages other than the language of one's birth.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should not be so quick to judge people who do not believe in tongues; as I believe that these boards themselves may in fact be a fulfillment of what is written in Malachi:

Mal 3:16, Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

People of divers types of spiritual backgrounds coming together to discuss the Bible; all of us agreeing that it is the word of the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What part of 1 Corinthians 14:22 did you NOT understand???

To God Be The Glory
I'm not certain that I'm following you...

Tongues is a gift of the Holy Ghost.

Those who say tongues are of the devil are attributing what is of the Holy Ghost to the devil.

That is the primary definition of blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

But I am not the judge of those people, Jesus is.

So I will suspend my judgment and wait for His.

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no word "unknown" in the Greek texts of 1 Corinthians 14! The KJV translators added it!
You are correct of course. The word “unknown” in 1 Corinthians 14 is italicized, and all italicized word that are found in the KLV Bible means the printer is warning the English reader that any word italicized found in Scripture is not in the original manuscripts.

However, the word “unknown” found in 1 Corinthians 14 is implied as in this case.

Note the following verses:

Verse 1 – Follow charity and desire spiritual gifts , but rather that you may prophesy.

Verse 2 – For he that speaks in an (unknown) (implied) tongue speaks NOT unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him.

Verse 3 – For he that prophesies speaks unto men to edification, exhortation, and comfort.

Verse 4 – He that speaks in an (unknown) tongue edifies himself but he that prophesies edifies the church.

Me - If only I am praying to God, then I can pray in a known tongue!

Verse 5 - … for greater is he that prophesies than he that speaks with unknown (implied) tongues, except he interprets that the church may receive edifying.

Verse 6 – Paul gives an example that if he comes to us speaking in an unknown tongue, what is the benefit except he speaks to us either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

Verse 7 – How shall it be known what is piped or harped?

Verse 8 – For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to battle?

Verse 9 – So likewise you, except you utter by words easy to understand, how shall it be known what is spoken? For you will speak into the air

Verse 11 – So if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him a barbarian, and he that speaks shall be a barbarian unto me.

Verse 19 – Yet in the church I had better speak five words with my understanding, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Verse 22 – So unknown tongues are for a “sign” not to the believers but to unbelievers!!

In the last days Satan will come doing signs and wonders.

Verses 27 – Paul now gives his rules that if any man speaks in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course, and let one interpret.

Verse 28 – But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Verse 39 - So, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Why did Paul forbid not to speak with tongues? Because at that time the Bible was not yet complete and God was still bringing revelations to mankind via unknown tongues, angel visitations, dream and visions… and so forth.

Words in bold, underlined, and in parenthesis are mine

Too God Be The Glory

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who say tongues are of the devil are attributing what is of the Holy Ghost to the devil.
That is the primary definition of blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

Now of a surety I am convinced and positive you are dead in spirit.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit or the Unpardonable Sin was the sin committed only by the Pharisees!!

Scripture declares in Matthew 12:31-32:

31) Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shalt not be forgiven unto men.

32) And whosoever speaketh against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Mark 3:28-30

28) Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blaphemies wherewith soever they shall be blaspheme:

29) But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal salvation:

30) BECAUSE THEY SAID , He hath an unclean spirit.

When will you folks learn how to read and understand the Bible, or connect the dots as you will.

To God Be The Glory

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now of a surety I am convinced and positive you are dead in spirit.

I am very much alive, thank you very much; and you are borderline blaspheming the Spirit (since we are on the subject) to say otherwise: if you are not crossing the line completely.

You remind me of the Pharisees who said to Jesus:

Jhn 8:52, Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit or the Unpardonable Sin was the sin committed only by the Pharisees!!

I don't think that the case in scripture is strong enough to say or teach that only those who once held the position of Pharisee were ever capable of committing the unpardonable sin. A man's position in life does not make him to have committed the unpardonable sin; nor does not having a certain position in life make one exempt from doing so. It is a spiritual issue.

30) BECAUSE THEY SAID , He hath an unclean spirit.

This would indicate that identifying the Holy Ghost (who was dwelling in Jesus; and who also dwells in us) as an unclean spirit, devil, or demon is blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should not be so quick to judge people who do not believe in tongues; as I believe that these boards themselves may in fact be a fulfillment of what is written in Malachi:

Mal 3:16, Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

People of divers types of spiritual backgrounds coming together to discuss the Bible; all of us agreeing that it is the word of the Lord.
I suppose that being one of those participating in the writing of the book mentioned does not make them exempt from committing the unpardonable sin, or having committed it.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct of course. The word “unknown” in 1 Corinthians 14 is italicized, and all italicized word that are found in the KLV Bible means the printer is warning the English reader that any word italicized found in Scripture is not in the original manuscripts.

However, the word “unknown” found in 1 Corinthians 14 is implied as in this case.

No need to go into lectures on an interpretation designed to fit a gibberish tongue which is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost. I know Pentecostals have built up a huge following based on those assumptions, but that won't sway those of us who have looked deeper into what Apostle Paul was actually teaching there in 1 Corinthians 12 thru 14 (i.e., known languages of the world).

In God's Word there are alternations of phrases that repeat a subject. They often reveal a deeper meaning, and serve as a type anchor to the right interpretation. Acts 2 where it is written what the Apostles spoke on Pentecost does this emphatically, showing us what those present actually heard the Apostles speak...

Acts 2:3 - "tongues" - glossa - languages
Acts 2:4 - "tongues" - glossa - languages
Acts 2:6 - "language - dialektos - dialect
Acts 2:8 - "tongue" - dialektos - dialect
Acts 2:11 - "tongues" - glossa - languages
Acts 2:26 - "tongue" - glossa - languages

That's a perfect alternation in the Greek texts of Acts 2. It shows how the cloven tongue manifested as known languages, and even the very dialects of those known languages.

The end of days is a very dangerous time we are forewarned. There are other spirits at work against Christ's Church, and some of those have the power to work signs and wonders. That does not mean those in Christ should believe every spirit like John warned, but to test the spirits, to see if they are of God or not. The way to test them is by using God's Holy Writ as the measure.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This would indicate that identifying the Holy Ghost (who was dwelling in Jesus; and who also dwells in us) as an unclean spirit, devil, or demon is blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

That is exactly what Scripture declared per the Pharisees. If the Rabbi of today is the same Pharisee of old then he too will believe the same and will be in danger of eternal damnation.

But normally, you will not find anyone today who will say that the power of Jesus was attributed to Satan. The Unpardonable Sin was unique only to the Pharisees!!

BTW, I did NOT write Matthew 12:31-32 or Mark 3:28-30. They were written by Matthew and Mark under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit almost two thousand years ago.

Now I am truly convinced why you are indeed lost. I’m not surprised as you tend to philosophy, and can’t comprehend, nor trust and obey Scripture, which is the source of truth, for that is the character of natural man!

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Dave L

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to go into lectures on an interpretation designed to fit a gibberish tongue which is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost. I know Pentecostals have built up a huge following based on those assumptions, but that won't sway those of us who have looked deeper into what Apostle Paul was actually teaching

You have no inkling or idea what Pentecost signified. When you have truly understood Pentecost correctly then come back and we will reason together.

Hint: Can you truly understand the meaning why God poured out His Spirit at Pentecost? Can the Holy Spirit be poured out like water? There are many facts to consider too and one of them is what the prophet Joel had declared. All these must be factored in in order to understand what God had in mind at Pentecost.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited: