I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just about every other religion prays also. I guess we should quit that too, since it must be pagan. And then there is singing...… obviously another satanic influence.

I never said quite tongues.

Now you stop and think what the implications are of the prayers of other religions.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said quite tongues.

Now you stop and think what the implications are of the prayers of other religions.
You are attempting to say that our prayers in tongues can be likened to prayers to other gods...

The point @Willie T. was making is that we do not stop praying to our God that is true just because people of other religions pray to their false gods...

Therefore we do not stop praying in our prayer language just because people of other religions also have tongues.

You are attempting to cast doubt on tongues as an evidence of the Holy Ghost, and doing a good job of it...except for the scriptures that I previously gave, which show that tongues are indeed an evidence of the Holy Ghost; and I will add Mark 16:17 to that list at this point.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are attempting to say that our prayers in tongues can be likened to prayers to other gods...

The point @Willie T. was making is that we do not stop praying to our God that is true just because people of other religions pray to their false gods...

Therefore we do not stop praying in our prayer language just because people of other religions also have tongues.

You are attempting to cast doubt on tongues as an evidence of the Holy Ghost, and doing a good job of it...except for the scriptures that I previously gave, which show that tongues are indeed an evidence of the Holy Ghost; and I will add Mark 16:17 to that list at this point.

The Bible warns against many things leading Christians into false beliefs.

One of them is yourself. The Bible says your heart is deceptive above all things.

The more you say something is not possible more possible it becomes because you let your guard down.

False tongues due to self-deception at DuckDuckGo

One of them is yourself. The Bible says your heart is deceptive above all things.

The more you say something is not possible more possible it becomes because you let your guard down.

How many of those in the seven churches of Revelation think they are actually true to God but are not?

D

Dave L

With the original gift of tongues, the speakers knew what they were saying. Paul says tongues speakers edified themselves, and to interpret so all could understand and be edified. So these knew what they were saying. Today's tongue speakers do not know what they are saying meaning today's "gift" is not genuine.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With the original gift of tongues, the speakers knew what they were saying. Paul says tongues speakers edified themselves, and to interpret so all could understand and be edified. So these knew what they were saying. Today's tongue speakers do not know what they are saying meaning today's "gift" is not genuine.
Uh, you might want to do a bit more reading...….

Reactions: amadeus and Helen
D

Dave L

Or...serious time before God on his face , with an OPEN heart and open ears... :)
Tongues came only through the hands of an apostle beyond the two outpourings. They ceased with the apostles. People get a buzz and relieve stress speaking in "tongues". But many religions, even voodoo practice this.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says your heart is deceptive above all things.

The progression:

Jer 17:9, The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Eze 36:25, Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26, A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27, And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Luk 8:15, But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Rom 15:14, And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

D

Dave L

Speaking in Tongues: Glossalalia and Stress Reduction

According to scripture, today's tongues are not genuine. But many are exhilarated by babbling at an emotional level. In my days as a Pentecostal, I witnessed this and even experienced it to a degree. So I think people confuse this self induced buzz with a move of the Holy Spirit.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is an attempt by the enemy to coerce us into not stirring up the gift of the Lord within us, as far as I'm concerned...

An attempt to cast doubt on our tongues speaking as to whether it is genuine and to fear utilizing our gift, because of the possibility that it "might be a demon."

This is borderline blasphemy of the Holy Ghost as far as I'm concerned.

The enemy is effectively using his weapon of fear to attempt to take a spiritual weapon out of the hands of those who have been given that weapon as a part of their armour.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The progression:

Jer 17:9, The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Eze 36:25, Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26, A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27, And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Luk 8:15, But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Rom 15:14, And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

Picking verses five different books of the Bible in contexts is not progression.

D

Dave L

It is an attempt by the enemy to coerce us into not stirring up the gift of the Lord within us, as far as I'm concerned...

An attempt to cast doubt on our tongues speaking as to whether it is genuine and to fear utilizing our gift, because of the possibility that it "might be a demon."

This is borderline blasphemy of the Holy Ghost as far as I'm concerned.

The enemy is effectively using his weapon of fear to attempt to take a spiritual weapon out of the hands of those who have been given that weapon as a part of their armour.
God says the gifts expired, the enemy says they did not.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But I do believe what I experienced this morning was real, and I'm exceedingly grateful for it.
That is fine for you personally. Just keep in mind that this is a highly contentious subject, and many Christians do not accept the validity of modern tongues as a prayer language for private use.