I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Quite a bit of assumption there, Barney. I think it might be better if we just read what is written, instead adding the "so you see..." to God's words as you did a few times. It would be more accurately said, " so I see that as meaning..."
[retracted comment].

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave L

Friend of,

I'm sympathetic with your view as I'm Charismatic.

However, I Cor 14 provides me with 2 concerns:

1. First Cor 14:5 gives an example of a single person being edified by God while speaking in tongues.

2. First Cor 14:6-19 teaches what should happen in a group. There must be the accompanying gift og interpretation

Otherwise the people present will be as strangers - 14:11.

I've experienced a lot of disorder in Pentecostal-charismatic meetings over this issue.

Oz
They were edified because they understood what they were saying. Today's tongues speakers have not a clue about what they are saying.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that 1 Corinthians 14:15 speaks to us adequately on the subject of whether the tongue-speaker understands what he is saying apart from interpretation.

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
a string of phonemes and morphemes in rapid succession i
when I was a child I spoke like a child...

Strong's Greek: 2980. λαλέω (laleó) -- to talk
as contrasted with...lego (logos)

Not that I have any interest in prohibiting people from gurgling and cooing like babies, ok, it just is not xenoglossy, wherein two or more witnesses may attest. Iow have two interpreters of someone's lalloglossy write down their interps, and see how often they agree. Ok?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You smoke weed and think "believers" cannot be demon possessed?
ah, finding that ammo useful, huh Dave? lol

but I'm not getting the connection between the "deep emotion" or whatever that I commented upon and your "demon-possessed" yet, sorry. Could you rephrase maybe

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not that I have any interest in prohibiting people from gurgling and cooing like babies,

It sounded coherent though. Kind of like a language sounds coherent even if you dont understand it. Yet it didn't sound like a language. It sounded like he was going to come apart almost at the seems as this was happening though. Idk.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It sounded coherent though. Kind of like a language sounds coherent even if you dont understand it. Yet it didn't sound like a language. It sounded like he was going to come apart almost at the seems as this was happening though. Idk.
Hmm, kinda unusual place to exhibit "coming apart at the seams," based on the rest of his actions there? Unfortunately "emotions" are not directly dealt with in Scripture I guess--barely even mentioned--and it takes a while to connect them to "heart" and "female" or "woman." ("deceptive above all things" and "not good for anything" maybe help a little tho?)

The point being that it is difficult to exegete how emotions are a sign in that situation, and I would hate to even accidentally imply that the guy was being like intentionally deceptive or anything, but as you imply, "idk." But I am getting second-hand vibes of a performance there, maybe?

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul said "understanding" was the basis for "edification". He also said whoever spoke in tongues was "edified". So the tongue speaker knew what they were saying. He told them to "interpret" what they understood the message to be, so all could become "edified".
Understanding is not the only way in which we can be edified by our own tongue-speaking. There is an emotional (non-verbal) component as well (and I don't mean a 'buzz'); it's possible to comprehend the feeling behind the words (e.g. love, compassion) without understanding the words themselves.

This is not the case with those who think they have the original gift, which Paul said would end when the perfect (complete) arrived. If Scripture is complete and does a better job than tongues ever did, then scripture replaced tongues.
Scripture doesn't perform the same job as tongues, so didn't replace them.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Strange this came up right now. While singing praise to our Father last week I suddenly realized I couldn't understand what was coming out of my mouth. Honestly, I thought I'd had a stroke.

So I guess for those blessed with this gift I ask, do you know/understand what you are saying? You that have this say you feel peace after.. I was aware and alarmed. Sadness.

Is it possible the gifts are being poured out for the end, for those who will testify?

Please pray for me. I don't know if I'm going insane, possessed or if the Holy Spirit is talking. Is it a sin not to know the difference?

That sounds very like what happened when I first spoke in tongues. I was filled with praise at the time, and suddenly my throat and tongue started moving of their own accord - I honestly felt as though I was going to be sick! I had to learn to relax and let the words come, only then did I feel comfortable using the gift.

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you couldn't be edified in this group because there was no gift of interpretation. What he did was out of order, biblically.

Me too, I was doing housework, alone, singing praises.. it really scared me. I hope that is not blasphemas, it's also why I closed my mouth. Not wanting to offend our Father.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you couldn't be edified in this group because there was no gift of interpretation. What he did was out of order, biblically.
Me too, I was doing housework, alone, singing praises.. it really scared me. I hope that is not blasphemas, it's also why I closed my mouth. Not wanting to offend our Father.

This kind of religious fear you two and a couple of others are describing must be horrible to make yourselves live with.

Reactions: Acolyte

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This kind of religious fear you two and a couple of others are describing must be horrible to make yourselves live with.

My walk is relatively recent compared to most here. If not for befriending a few JWs, (I thank them for making my belief in Jesus so strong)[ironic in itself], I can't say I would be studying the Bible.
And my doubt is because I was such a sinner, I ask why would our Father bestow such a gift on me.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My walk is relatively recent compared to most here. If not for befriending a few JWs, (I thank them for making my belief in Jesus so strong)[ironic in itself], I can't say I would be studying the Bible.
And my doubt is because I was such a sinner, I ask why would our Father bestow such a gift on me.
Because you are His child, He made you, and He is thrilled that you want to be closer to Him.

Reactions: Acolyte