Iconoclast

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. We are called not to judge the world, not to judge the "servant of Another" but to judge that which is in our responsibility. We judge our churches and guard against what we view to be false doctrine.

The problem is when people start attacking other people for the views they hold. Not only is this unbiblical, but this also damages our witness to others. God never blesses disobedience, but some people act as if they are God.

It all depends what you call 'attacking'. Just because I disagree with you and say so, and show you are mistaken, is just part of it. Call it what you like. I don't see how it is unbiblical. I don't see how it damages our witness. I don't see how it is disobedient.

If you cannot defend your position, maybe instead of believing others are attacking, you try and find out if your position is wrong, or can you do something to defend it more.

Stranger

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It all depends what you call 'attacking'. Just because I disagree with you and say so, and show you are mistaken, is just part of it. Call it what you like. I don't see how it is unbiblical. I don't see how it damages our witness. I don't see how it is disobedient.

If you cannot defend your position, maybe instead of believing others are attacking, you try and find out if your position is wrong, or can you do something to defend it more.

Stranger
Very true. I doubt many of us engage posts without expecting at least some level of disagreement. And this is not attacking.

By attacking what I am referring to is things like ad hominem - going after a person rather than dealing with the doctrine or interpretation that person holds.

For example, there is a difference between a statement that Penal Substitution Theory is a corruption of Scripture and any accusation against the person who holds that belief. In any debate forum what is expected to take place is a discussion and a debate over the topics – NOT the character of the people engaged in the debate.

By attacking a person what I mean is attacking the person rather than addressing the person.

Reactions: marks and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree. We are called not to judge the world, not to judge the "servant of Another" but to judge that which is in our responsibility. We judge our churches and guard against what we view to be false doctrine.

The problem is when people start attacking other people for the views they hold. Not only is this unbiblical, but this also damages our witness to others. God never blesses disobedience, but some people act as if they are God.

Yes amen..Good Word.

In my years I have learned that a 'correction' which has at the heart of it redemption of a brothers walk, can help someone to correct their course if they have strayed from the path a bit.

But a harsh word , as we often see here....which is not done with a loving heart of redemption for a person..but just to prove themselves right, and the other person wrong...is NOT a correction which will bare much fruit at all.

And, those that are truly His , know HIS voice, and many of the harsh arguments and criticisms are for sure NOT done in the Spirit of the Lord...but in the exalted spirit of pride...

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Very true. I doubt many of us engage posts without expecting at least some level of disagreement. By attacking a person what I mean is attacking the person rather than addressing the person.

thumbup1[1].gif

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true. I doubt many of us engage posts without expecting at least some level of disagreement. And this is not attacking.

By attacking what I am referring to is things like ad hominem - going after a person rather than dealing with the doctrine or interpretation that person holds.

For example, there is a difference between a statement that Penal Substitution Theory is a corruption of Scripture and any accusation against the person who holds that belief. In any debate forum what is expected to take place is a discussion and a debate over the topics – NOT the character of the people engaged in the debate.

By attacking a person what I mean is attacking the person rather than addressing the person.

That all sounds well and good. But in reality, both are the same. You are attacking the position of the person that holds that position. You are in essence attacking the person. If you think their position is stupid, and say so, then it reflects on the person. And likewise, they to you.

This is the same delusion that our country is under when it goes to war. It likes to say we are not against the Vietnamese people, or the Iranian people, we are just against your government. It's a fools division. The one is the same.

Stranger

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That all sounds well and good. But in reality, both are the same. You are attacking the position of the person that holds that position. You are in essence attacking the person. If you think their position is stupid, and say so, then it reflects on the person. And likewise, they to you.

This is the same delusion that our country is under when it goes to war. It likes to say we are not against the Vietnamese people, or the Iranian people, we are just against your government. It's a fools division. The one is the same.

Stranger
I hope you do not think I am attacking you when I say this (I don't even know you) but I disagree with that conclusion.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember attending a SBC church in my long haired drug ridden youth. I remember walking through the doors of a sermon in progress, only to hear the preacher suddenly stop talking about what he had been saying, and start preaching on the evils of long hair, drugs, and rock music. I guess he just assumed (rightly) that I was a rocker, since I wasn't playing anything at the time!

:p

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember attending a SBC church in my long haired drug ridden youth. I remember walking through the doors of a sermon in progress, only to hear the preacher suddenly stop talking about what he had been saying, and start preaching on the evils of long hair, drugs, and rock music. I guess he just assumed (rightly) that I was a rocker, since I wasn't playing anything at the time!

:p

It is good to have a flexible sermon in your pocket.

Reactions: Helen and marks

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
I believe we all need to be able to defend our position. We all should realize the opposing view will always find that defense lacking (otherwise they may be persuaded to change their view). Never defend your position to the satisfaction of other people. Defend it and listen intently to the response. Criticism can do two things - it can help refine your position or it can give you insight to better defend your position. Only a fool despises criticism.

What I call "attacking" is being malicious to other people. If you cannot find commands against this type of behavior I can help (just let me know).

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Those Southern Baptists are horrible......
Perhaps not horrible, but definitely on the wrong track after some committed themselves to Calvinism rather than Bible truth (at least their seminary went whole hog and about 30% of their pastors). There were also a lot of compromises with liberalism, the Jesus Seminar, freemasonry, etc. within that denomination in the past.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps not horrible, but definitely on the wrong track after some committed themselves to Calvinism rather than Bible truth (at least their seminary went whole hog and about 30% of their pastors). There were also a lot of compromises with liberalism, the Jesus Seminar, freemasonry, etc. within that denomination in the past.
Yes, we are just shy of satanic...good enough only to get in the gates of the Kingdom and that by God's grace alone. I'm actually surprised we are allowed on a "Christian" board, but I suppose a family doesn't get to pick its members.