If atheists get accused of taking verses out of context, how do we know fundamentalists making those accusations aren’t doing the same as well?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Appeal to Strawman. The Being who is the Creator is infallible. Our understanding of him is not.

Fortunately, the lesson of Original Sin is that we are not saved by our KNOWLEDGE, infallible or otherwise.
Ready for this:

The very first sin committed was the sin of disobedience in the garden of Eden, by Eve after she believed what the serpent told her about God and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know your discernment is not fallible? Have you ever not been wrong in your life before? How many times have you thought you were right only to find out you were wrong?

Don’t start lying and moving goal posts now
I won’t move the goal posts.

Sure, I have been wrong. The circumstances are when I rely on my own understanding and driven by pride.

The Holy Spirit is often called The Quiet Whisperer. Following where he leads is reliable, infallible.

But I know you ask to trap me, from a position of disbelief. I wish you had a divine, supernatural experience like I did. I cannot explain it. I can only testify to the glory of God. I can only be a witness to it. This is my testimony. So help me God. You?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ready for this:

The very first sin committed was the sin of disobedience in the garden of Eden, by Eve after she believed what the serpent told her about God and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
Well, there are lies and sins of commission and omission. The first sin was the sin of omission by Adam. He saw Eve was being tempted by the serpent and did nothing.

This is why it is called Adam’s Sin.

But getting back to the choice Adam and Eve had, they had a choice between the tree of KNOWLEDGE and the tree of Life. Knowledge is the tree that leads to death.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were to believe that liberals have victimhood mindsets, you would be a hypocrite because you also feel as if you need to be saved by someone/something.
You attack well but if you look back, you will find it is you who have moved the goalposts from infallibility.

Earlier you claimed to not believe in anything. Now, you reveal that you believe in fallibility.

Anyone paying attention can see your epistemological quicksand. God and Jesus are called the Rock. The Rock is the truth, the life and the way. I pray you turn onto the narrow path.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes a fundamentalist think that their interpretation of the Bible is the one and true interpretation? Are they not acting as if they are God themselves when they assume that their interpretation must be infallible? I’ve never once heard a fundamentalist say that they could be reading the Bible wrong, they’re the only ones who hold the correct interpretation and everyone else is taking it out of context-except for them.

And also, how does it make any sense for a believer to say they don’t know what the future holds, but then turn around and say that you will come before God, in the future of course, after you die? I thought they don’t know what the future holds.

Also, how can a believer know anything at all when they say, “Only God knows”? If only God knows, then we cannot know anything at all, not even that God knows. It’s self-defeating.
Yes, false would-be testimony is a problem.

But that does not mean that the general narrative of the word of God and the legitimate testimonies are not true. It's like this:

If we were all born into a big room with no windows or doors and no one had ever been or seen outside, who in the room could [actually] say what is outside? Could teacher who had never been or seen outside say, a government official, a scientist, etc.? No. In fact the only way anyone inside the room would have any [actual] information about what was/is outside is if the information came from the outside in. And that is what the Bible is, a written record of first hand witness testimony--from the outside.​
And yes, then come those inside who want to claim knowledge they may or may not even understand.​
Nonetheless, there are and have been the few who [actually] do know--not "believe"--but know and understand. History attests to it.​

But not just history--I can and do attest to it also. Why and how? By the means I just gave.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because true atheists will never understand the things of the God they first insist isn't there to have inspired a book to be written in the first place.

We should NEVER take the word of a Fool....

“The FOOL has said, “ There is No God”

“The Gospel is Foolishness to those that Perish”

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I won’t move the goal posts.

Sure, I have been wrong. The circumstances are when I rely on my own understanding and driven by pride.

The Holy Spirit is often called The Quiet Whisperer. Following where he leads is reliable, infallible.

But I know you ask to trap me, from a position of disbelief. I wish you had a divine, supernatural experience like I did. I cannot explain it. I can only testify to the glory of God. I can only be a witness to it. This is my testimony. So help me God. You?

I’ve taken a hallucinogen before, it was a divine experience. What would make you think God didn’t put mushrooms on this earth in order to meet him?

If the lord works in mysterious ways, can’t eating a mushroom he planted in order to meet him be considered one of the many mysterious ways he works in?

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Well, there are lies and sins of commission and omission. The first sin was the sin of omission by Adam. He saw Eve was being tempted by the serpent and did nothing.

This is why it is called Adam’s Sin.

But getting back to the choice Adam and Eve had, they had a choice between the tree of KNOWLEDGE and the tree of Life. Knowledge is the tree that leads to death.
I doubt eating from the tree of knowledge itself leads to death. It's more likely believing what someone tells you to be good or evil before you sink your teeth into the fruit leads to death.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt eating from the tree of knowledge itself leads to death. It's more likely believing what someone tells you to be good or evil before you sink your teeth into the fruit leads to death.
I'm amazed you're still here. Many communities don't tolerate those whose hobby is to mock the faith of others.

Again I say TG 4 TIF. :Broadly:

What isn't banned can always be ignored.

God doesn't believe in atheists. However, one day they shall believe in him. A day too late.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many atheists member's do we have have in this community? :stageright:

There are a few atheists in this community. Some call themselves agnostics but are playing word games with themselves.
Many communities don't tolerate those whose hobby is to mock the faith of others.
This community does tolerate non-Christian in the non-Christian forum. It is a nice community outreach. Why do they come to a Christian forum?

Because they have something missing in their lives and they know it. We claim to have it but they cannot believe it.

I like to think they are like us all - on a spiritual journey. Many atheists convert and I believe by allowing them on the forum, it always their curiosity to be piqued. I've already challenged the OP to a 30-day challenge of reading the Bible, starting with prayer that God's Spirit will show him what he needs to get out of the word.

Although curious, he lacks courage to test God's word.

Ask, and you will receive. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened for you.
Matthew 7:7 (CEV)

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I'm amazed you're still here. Many communities don't tolerate those whose hobby is to mock the faith of others.

Again I say TG 4 TIF. :Broadly:

What isn't banned can always be ignored.

God doesn't believe in atheists. However, one day they shall believe in him. A day too late.
You know there are communities who do exactly the same of that if I was black, or a nerd, or gay, or didn't own a house, or was to remain single. So what can I do or say when anything I do or say has some group who'll try to convert me or take me down.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what can I do or say when anything I do or say has some group who'll try to convert me or take me down.
That's the difference my friend. We want to lift you up, not take you down.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible says to focus on the positive. It is so eloquently put.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

Of course, I believe the most excellent and praiseworthy thing is our Creator, YWHW, and his plan to redeem us through his only begotten son. So, why are you an agnostic, unsure of the existence of what is most excellent and praiseworthy?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
That's the difference my friend. We want to lift you up, not take you down.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible says to focus on the positive. It is so eloquently put.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

Of course, I believe the most excellent and praiseworthy thing is our Creator, YWHW, and his plan to redeem us through his only begotten son. So, why are you an agnostic, unsure of the existence of what is most excellent and praiseworthy?
Just kill me already.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many atheists member's do we have have in this community? :stageright:
I am a former atheist..... I never went looking for God.....He came looking for me....God knows who are His and "NO Man" comes to the Father lest The Spirit draw him"......if one has been blessed and is one that has been Chosen, God is gonna get you eventually.....He knew who would eventually come to Him, " Even before the worlds were formed"....
Is this stuff fair? Beats me. All I know is that I am not smart enough to be " God's Critic"..... He is the Potter and we are the clay...." Won't the Creator of the Universe do what is right?"......I'm certain that He will.....There will come a day when all questions like these will be answered...Today is just not that day....

• Love
Reactions: ButterflyJones

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never met an atheist that could understand the Scripture, in fact, the Scripture says that unbelievers can't.
1 Corinthians 2:11 - For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.