If Baptism could save then there is no need for the shed Blood of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The admonition of Paul inspired by God confirms, “Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee”.

Jesus also confirms, “Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him”.

Because “by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil”, as the scripture says.
1. Paul spoke to gentiles not individuals

that same Paul said we have NOT been given a spirit of fear but if sound mind. He also said instead of a spirit of fear a spirit of adoption where we can come to the father and call him abba with no fear

Jesus told us to Come to him and he will give us rest and As Paul says he Even gives us the spirit as a seal or pledge of our eternal life

we have none of this apart from
Assurance. In fact John said it is the knowledge we HAVE eternal life which is the means of our continued faith. How can we continue in faith apart from this knowledge?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your reading a flawed inglish translation

The origional did not state this,
The original blocked out this?...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

....please post the original for me.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 says more than repent.

Did you know that or does your mind block it out?

let's take a closer look....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Yawn this really gets old

you keep reading me an English translation

even the original KJV showed a difference when it used the Plural form of you As compared To the singular form To separate the two

you can read me the English translation 100 times it will not change what peter actually said

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

that same Paul said we have NOT been given a spirit of fear but if sound mind. He also said instead of a spirit of fear a spirit of adoption where we can come to the father and call him abba with no fear

Jesus told us to Come to him and he will give us rest and As Paul says he Even gives us the spirit as a seal or pledge of our eternal life

Assurance. In fact John said it is the knowledge we HAVE eternal life which is the means of our continued faith. How can we continue in faith apart from this knowledge?
Paul spoke to all church members in the passage, both Jew and gentile.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yawn this really gets old

you keep reading me an English translation

even the original KJV showed a difference when it used the Plural form of you As compared To the singular form To separate the two

you can read me the English translation 100 times it will not change what peter actually said
Peter did not actually say this?...

The highlighted was faked?

By whom?

What translation correctly eliminated the highlighted?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that same Paul said we have NOT been given a spirit of fear

The fear spoken of here is obviously the fear of danger in the affairs of this life, not the fear of God.

2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV
[1] Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Translations say what the original say. Nothing is hidden in the original languages.

If a translation cannot say what the original says, then what Paul spoke to the people in the Hebrew language (Acts 22) written in Greek cannot be plainly known without an explanation from the translator. The passage in question has no explanation out the Hebrew from the original writer; showing that the assertion that a translation cannot properly communicate the original is foolishness and vanity.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm working on trying to find the giants. The Anuk and the Emmims..
somehow I ran across Abraham's Father's geneology coming from the other side of the flood.
Which somehow put me on the path to the days of Noe, which brought me to John the Baptist..always.

How only 8 souls were saved through the flood. by the water.
the water and the blood.

keys to the kingdom even.

1Jo 5:6
This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

Jesus has the keys of the kingdom.. one is through the flood or baptism.
The other is by blood.. life is in the blood..the blood of the Lamb.
So we know we have passage to the kingdom through baptism and crucifixion.
You can't get there from here without the keys to open the door.
And Jesus is the door.

So Jesus/He.. the one that is in the flesh. Came by - via- the water/flood and the blood/life.
I'm looking for the blood key.
I thinks it Abel.. not by water only, that's just one key.
But by way of the blood. that's the other key.

Gen 4:10
And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
Gen 4:11
And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;

So the earth is the keeper or holder of the other key .
That is through the earth/man..

the ground. ashes to ashes and dust to dust.. and the Abels blood/life cried from the ground.

Oh look I found another baptism:
Gen 2:6
But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

That's the flood before the flood before the baptism of John
I been baptised twice. Once I was sprinkled on my head, the next time I was plunged under water.
crazy..

Now this was before Abel's "righteous" blood was shed on the earth.

So first come the baptism, then came unjustified murder.
Like Noahs flood and Canaan's curse.

I think Canaan's curse was unjustified because it was his father Ham's fault that did something.. somebody did something..
anyways..
But I dont have the whole picture yet, so I'm just thinking.

You go back to the Levites and they have to wash everything.. but specially all those animals they have to kill.

Kill them for their own sins..

sometimes.. this stuff depresses me.. but I keep moving on down the road.

So the question if baptism could save alone?
Can you imagine if we didn't soak our clothes before walking through the fire?
It can get smokey that's for sure, but it may keep you from getting fried.

fried.. hmm
I smell homefries.. yum.. with lots of onions :)

Just thinking.. HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Final thought.. maybe not

Baptism leads one to repentance.
What are we repenting of?
Ready...
this just hit me like a ton of bricks..
and every eye shall see what?
And how many have sinned?
We are all guilty until we repent and ask for forgiveness and are granted a pardon.
And where do we go to do that?
Yup.. Calgary.

those onions getting to my eyes..
HUGS

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Final thought.. maybe not

Baptism leads one to repentance.
What are we repenting of?
Ready...
this just hit me like a ton of bricks..
and every eye shall see what?
And how many have sinned?
We are all guilty until we repent and ask for forgiveness and are granted a pardon.
And where do we go to do that?
Yup.. Calgary.

those onions getting to my eyes..
HUGS

Calgary, as in Alberta, Canada? Better stop peeling those onions!

Reactions: Ziggy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul spoke to all church members in the passage, both Jew and gentile.
Yep he did in all the passages I showed about not being given the spirit of fear

if you teach fear you do not teach the gospel plan and simple. Because you are teaching the opposite of rest. You are teaching labor

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fear spoken of here is obviously the fear of danger in the affairs of this life, not the fear of God.

2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV
[1] Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
That word there is about respect not about fearing God as a dictator.

Reactions: mailmandan

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter did not actually say this?...

The highlighted was faked?

By whom?

What translation correctly eliminated the highlighted?
Dude
Go study it yourself. It has
Been shown multiple times here by multiple people. I am sick of games.

the Greek does not say it. The Greek can be trusted no English translation is
Infallible. Period

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translations say what the original say. Nothing is hidden in the original languages.

If a translation cannot say what the original says, then what Paul spoke to the people in the Hebrew language (Acts 22) written in Greek cannot be plainly known without an explanation from the translator. The passage in question has no explanation out the Hebrew from the original writer; showing that the assertion that a translation cannot properly communicate the original is foolishness and vanity.
Actually no translation should be trusted completely they are not God breathed and no English translation I know of interprets completely what the Greek says it’s impossible

1 there are rules In the greek That are not applicable in the English the Greek is a deeper language much more complex. The English is basic

an example the word love. One word in English to translate 4 words all with varying interpretations in Greek. Thus it is impossible in a word for word to
Interpret correctly

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False. In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.
In Acts 3:19, the Holy Spirit foresaw the persecution that would immediately arise against Peter by the Sadducees; and had Peter tell them that their sins would be blotted out "when times of refreshing would come from the presence of the Lord"....referring to a time in which the disciples would be able to return and baptize all the new converts who believed at the time of Peter's Acts 3:19 sermon.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, in language, the gift of the spirit points only to repenting, not to baptism, they are different types of words.

repent and gift of the Holy Spirit is a command and promise given to everyone

be baptized unto remission of sin is a command only given to individuals. Unto remmision tells us who those individuals are

I think that you have heaped to yourself a teacher telling you what your itching ears want to hear.

Why wouldn't anyone just "get this one done" and be baptized; instead of arguing that they can be saved without it? If there is any doubt, just get it done!

One thing i do believe is that we get saved after we die...

What is the supporting scripture for the belief that we are saved before we die?

John 5:24 (kjv) tells us that we have passed from death unto everlasting life from the moment of first faith.

You appear to be attempting to pit scripture against scripture. As has been already said, there is a difference between the fear of the LORD and other types of fear.

The Greek can be trusted no English translation is
Infallible. Period

God is both Omnipotent, and Sovereign, and loving.

The common people heard Jesus gladly, while the educated scribes and Pharisees rejected Him.

For these reasons, I do not believe that the Lord would make us dependent on Greek and Hebrew scholars to re-interpret for us what has already been translated to us into English.

He is most certainly able, in His Omnipotence, to make the English language adequate to bring across His unadulterated message without any error as it has been translated from Greek and Hebrew.

And in His love and sovereignty, I believe that He has indeed preserved for us a translation that has been preserved for us and contended for as being the only translation in English that contains His unadulterated message.

We won't get into how many other translations (other than the kjv) are watered-down in that they remove entire words, phrases, sentences, in some places even entire passages from the pages of holy scripture.

I don't want to be cheated out of something that the Holy Spirit might want to say to me.

For these reasons, I stick to and implicitly trust the kjv to give me God's unadulterated message.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John preached remission of sins, but spoke of the lamb to provide remission of sins.

Jesus died to provide actual remission of sins years after John died.
Did John's baptism provide remission of sins (see Mark 1:4)?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That word there is about respect not about fearing God as a dictator.

Not so.

Look how both the same Greek words are translated (KJV) in the following passage spoke by Jesus:

“And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid [φοβέω] of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear [φοβέω]: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear [φοβέω] him”.

Afraid certainty does not mean “respect”.

Reactions: Ziggy