If Baptism could save then there is no need for the shed Blood of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My trust is not in the water but in the operation of God in that I have confessed the Lordship of Jesus Christ in the most concrete way that I can, by identifying with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection.

If that identification could be made apart from going underneath the water, then I would say more power to the one who identifies with His death, burial, and resurrection, in such a manner.

But I think that baptism is unique in that when we go under the water, we directly symbolize that we have already died and that we are being buried with Christ, to be resurrected unto a walk of newness of life when we come up out of the water. I don't think that this spiirtual reality can be symbolized in any other way.

This identification with Christ is indeed the most powerful way that a person can confess Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

In confessing Jesus a man is saved....Jesus will also confess them before His Father who is in heaven (Matthew 10:32).

I suppose that a man can confess Him in other ways...but I find that many who confess Him in other ways end up having problems later and therefore I have doubts as to the validity of other forms of confessing Him.

In Mark 16:16 we go from an iffy proposition in John 3:16 to a more absolute assurance that we have been saved.

The one who merely believes in Christ "should not perish." (John 3:16).

The one who believes and is baptized "shall be saved." (Mark 16:16).

The one who calls on the name of the Lord "shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).
We already discussed this multiple times, but sadly the truth just continues to go right over your head. :(

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We already discussed this multiple times, but sadly the truth just continues to go right over your head. :(
No answer, huh?

I would suggest that you keep Jesus' command to persevere. You never know when something you say might just hit home with me.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe that it’s not enough to be water baptized, but the person being water baptized must actually trust in the water to save them or else they won’t be saved? Your faith is in water for salvation and is not in Christ alone. See Acts (10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9) on how to receive the Holy Spirit.

You are free to trust in the water god for salvation if you wish, but I will continue to trust in the Savior God. Either we are trusting 100% in Jesus Christ alone for salvation or else we are 100% lost. You’ve been served.

Jesus saves thru baptism
1pet 2:21
Just as you can’t be saved from the flood
Unless you are on the ark 1 pet 3:20 baptism is the ark of salvation

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put withi n you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them
John the Baptist prepares the way by baptism
Jn 3:22 they went to the river and baptized
Jn 4:1 makes disciples by baptism

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is strictly symbolic. It represents the intent of the baptized.
Where’s the Bible say that?

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Rom 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, (baptism rom 6:3-4)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already gave you answers numerous times yet all you want to do is argue, argue, argue. I hope and pray that something I shared with you does hit home one day. Good day sir.
No, that is you...

Case in point: I gave scriptures and an opinion that baptism in Jesus' Name provides absolute assurance whereas mere belief is a more "iffy" proposition...and you previously gave your argument that you do not accept that opinion because you do not accept the kjv as being wholly authoritative.

What "argument" have I set forth? I have only set forth statements and have backed them up with holy scripture. If I had set forth arguments, then there would be strongholds of the enemy that you might be able to demolish with the weapons of your warfare (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)...such as prayer and holy scripture. But apparently you have no scripture that can refute my position otherwise you would have brought it forth with the power of prayer behind it; and you would have convinced me of your pov.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is strictly symbolic. It represents the intent of the baptized.
It is indeed symbolic; while it also has the power to save a person as a means of confessing Jesus as Lord and Saviour.

It symbolizes identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the act of being baptized is a unification with the Person of Jesus Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection.

Thus it has the power to save as a confession of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord in the life of the one who is baptized (see Matthew 10:32).

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where’s the Bible say that?

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

What does it mean "baptized into"?
What does it really mean?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is indeed symbolic; while it also has the power to save a person as a means of confessing Jesus as Lord and Saviour.

It symbolizes identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the act of being baptized is a unification with the Person of Jesus Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection.
Baptism has no power in and of itself. Baptism is a religious ritual indicating a person's desire and commitment to becoming a disciple of Christ. Being a disciple of Christ is actually what brings life.

Don't confuse the symbol with what it represents.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your not really in the new covenant just symbolically, you don’t really get washed in the blood just symbolically, not really saved just symbolically

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostolic council of Trent

CANON I.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law were not all instituted by Jesus Christ, our Lord; or, that they are more, or less, than seven, to wit, Baptism, Confirmation, the Eucharist, Penance, Extreme Unction, Order, and Matrimony; or even that any one of these seven is not truly and properly a sacrament; let him be anathema.

CANON II.-If any one saith, that these said sacraments of the New Law do not differ from the sacramnets of the Old Law, save that the ceremonies are different, and different the outward rites; let him be anathema.

CANON III.-If any one saith, that these seven sacraments are in such wise equal to each other, as that one is not in any way more worthy than another; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law are not necessary unto salvation, but superfluous; and that, without them, or without the desire thereof, men obtain of God, through faith alone, the grace of justification;-though all (the sacraments) are not indeed necessary for every individual; let him be anathema.

CANON V.-If any one saith, that these sacraments were instituted for the sake of nourishing faith alone; let him be anathema.

CANON VI.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law do not contain the grace which they signify; or, that they do not confer that grace on those who do not place an obstacle thereunto; as though they were merely outward signs of grace or justice received through faith, and certain marks of the Christian profession, whereby believers are distinguished amongst men from unbelievers; let him be anathema.

CANON VII.-If any one saith, that grace, as far as God's part is concerned, is not given through the said sacraments, always, and to all men, even though they receive them rightly, but (only) sometimes, and to some persons; let him be anathema.

CANON VIII.-If any one saith, that by the said sacraments of the New Law grace is not conferred through the act performed, but that faith alone in the divine promise suffices for the obtaining of grace; let him be anathema.

CANON IX.-If any one saith, that, in the three sacrments, Baptism, to wit, Confirmation, and Order, there is not imprinted in the soul a character, that is, a certain spiritual and indelible Sign, on account of which they cannot be repeated; let him be anathema.

CANON X.-If any one saith, that all Christians have power to administer the word, and all the sacraments; let him be anathema.

CANON XI.-If any one saith, that, in ministers, when they effect, and confer the sacraments, there is not required the intention at least of doing what the Church does; let him be anathema.

CANON XII.-If any one saith, that a minister, being in mortal sin,-if so be that he observe all the essentials which belong to the effecting, or conferring of, the sacrament,-neither effects, nor confers the sacrament; let him be anathema.

CANON XIII.-If any one saith, that the received and approved rites of the Catholic Church, wont to be used in the solemn administration of the sacraments, may be contemned, or without sin be omitted at pleasure by the ministers, or be changed, by every pastor of the churches, into other new ones; let him be anathema.

ON BAPTISM

CANON I.-If any one saith, that the baptism of John had the same force as the baptism of Christ; let him be anathema.
CANON II.-If any one saith, that true and natural water is not of necessity for baptism, and, on that account, wrests, to some sort of metaphor, those words of our Lord Jesus Christ; Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost; let him be anathema.

CANON III.-If any one saith, that in the Roman church, which is the mother and mistress of all churches, there is not the true doctrine concerning the sacrament of baptism; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.-If any one saith, that the baptism which is even given by heretics in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, with the intention of doing what the Church doth, is not true baptism; let him be anathema.

CANON V.-If any one saith, that baptism is free, that is, not necessary unto salvation; let him be anathema.

CANON VI.-If any one saith, that one who has been baptized cannot, even if he would, lose grace, let him sin ever so much, unless he will not believe; let him be anathema.

CANON VII.-If any one saith, that the baptized are, by baptism itself, made debtors but to faith alone, and not to the observance of the whole law of Christ; let him be anathema.

CANON VIII.-If any one saith, that the baptized are freed from all the precepts, whether written or transmitted, of holy Church, in such wise that they are not bound to observe them, unless they have chosen of their own accord to submit themselves thereunto; let him be anathema.

CANON IX.-If any one saith, that the resemblance of the baptism which they have received is so to be recalled unto men, as that they are to understand, that all vows made after baptism are void, in virtue of the promise already made in that baptism; as if, by those vows, they both derogated from that faith which they have professed, and from that baptism itself; let him be anathema.

CANON X.-If any one saith, that by the sole remembrance and the faith of the baptism which has been received, all sins committed after baptism are either remitted, or made venial; let him be anathema.

CANON XI.-If any one saith, that baptism, which was true and rightly conferred, is to be repeated, for him who has denied the faith of Christ amongst Infidels, when he is converted unto penitence; let him be anathema.

CANON XII.-If any one saith, that no one is to be baptized save at that age at which Christ was baptized, or in the very article of death; let him be anathema.

CANON XIII.-If any one saith, that little children, for that they have not actual faith, are not, after having received baptism, to be reckoned amongst the faithful; and that, for this cause, they are to be rebaptized when they have attained to years of discretion; or, that it is better that the baptism of such be omitted, than that, while not believing by their own act, they should be bapized in the faith alone of the Church; let him be anathema.

CANON XIV.-If any one saith, that those who have been thus baptized when children, are, when they have grown up, to be asked whether they will ratify what their sponsors promised in their names when they were baptized; and that, in case they answer that they will not, they are to be left to their own will; and are not to be compelled meanwhile to a Christian life by any other penalty, save that they be excluded from the participation of the Eucharist, and of the other sacraments, until they repent; let him be anathema.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostolic council of Trent

CANON I.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law were not all instituted by Jesus Christ, our Lord; or, that they are more, or less, than seven, to wit, Baptism, Confirmation, the Eucharist, Penance, Extreme Unction, Order, and Matrimony; or even that any one of these seven is not truly and properly a sacrament; let him be anathema.

CANON II.-If any one saith, that these said sacraments of the New Law do not differ from the sacramnets of the Old Law, save that the ceremonies are different, and different the outward rites; let him be anathema.

CANON III.-If any one saith, that these seven sacraments are in such wise equal to each other, as that one is not in any way more worthy than another; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law are not necessary unto salvation, but superfluous; and that, without them, or without the desire thereof, men obtain of God, through faith alone, the grace of justification;-though all (the sacraments) are not indeed necessary for every individual; let him be anathema.

CANON V.-If any one saith, that these sacraments were instituted for the sake of nourishing faith alone; let him be anathema.

CANON VI.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law do not contain the grace which they signify; or, that they do not confer that grace on those who do not place an obstacle thereunto; as though they were merely outward signs of grace or justice received through faith, and certain marks of the Christian profession, whereby believers are distinguished amongst men from unbelievers; let him be anathema.

CANON VII.-If any one saith, that grace, as far as God's part is concerned, is not given through the said sacraments, always, and to all men, even though they receive them rightly, but (only) sometimes, and to some persons; let him be anathema.

CANON VIII.-If any one saith, that by the said sacraments of the New Law grace is not conferred through the act performed, but that faith alone in the divine promise suffices for the obtaining of grace; let him be anathema.

CANON IX.-If any one saith, that, in the three sacrments, Baptism, to wit, Confirmation, and Order, there is not imprinted in the soul a character, that is, a certain spiritual and indelible Sign, on account of which they cannot be repeated; let him be anathema.

CANON X.-If any one saith, that all Christians have power to administer the word, and all the sacraments; let him be anathema.

CANON XI.-If any one saith, that, in ministers, when they effect, and confer the sacraments, there is not required the intention at least of doing what the Church does; let him be anathema.

CANON XII.-If any one saith, that a minister, being in mortal sin,-if so be that he observe all the essentials which belong to the effecting, or conferring of, the sacrament,-neither effects, nor confers the sacrament; let him be anathema.

CANON XIII.-If any one saith, that the received and approved rites of the Catholic Church, wont to be used in the solemn administration of the sacraments, may be contemned, or without sin be omitted at pleasure by the ministers, or be changed, by every pastor of the churches, into other new ones; let him be anathema.

ON BAPTISM

CANON I.-If any one saith, that the baptism of John had the same force as the baptism of Christ; let him be anathema.
CANON II.-If any one saith, that true and natural water is not of necessity for baptism, and, on that account, wrests, to some sort of metaphor, those words of our Lord Jesus Christ; Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost; let him be anathema.

CANON III.-If any one saith, that in the Roman church, which is the mother and mistress of all churches, there is not the true doctrine concerning the sacrament of baptism; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.-If any one saith, that the baptism which is even given by heretics in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, with the intention of doing what the Church doth, is not true baptism; let him be anathema.

CANON V.-If any one saith, that baptism is free, that is, not necessary unto salvation; let him be anathema.

CANON VI.-If any one saith, that one who has been baptized cannot, even if he would, lose grace, let him sin ever so much, unless he will not believe; let him be anathema.

CANON VII.-If any one saith, that the baptized are, by baptism itself, made debtors but to faith alone, and not to the observance of the whole law of Christ; let him be anathema.

CANON VIII.-If any one saith, that the baptized are freed from all the precepts, whether written or transmitted, of holy Church, in such wise that they are not bound to observe them, unless they have chosen of their own accord to submit themselves thereunto; let him be anathema.

CANON IX.-If any one saith, that the resemblance of the baptism which they have received is so to be recalled unto men, as that they are to understand, that all vows made after baptism are void, in virtue of the promise already made in that baptism; as if, by those vows, they both derogated from that faith which they have professed, and from that baptism itself; let him be anathema.

CANON X.-If any one saith, that by the sole remembrance and the faith of the baptism which has been received, all sins committed after baptism are either remitted, or made venial; let him be anathema.

CANON XI.-If any one saith, that baptism, which was true and rightly conferred, is to be repeated, for him who has denied the faith of Christ amongst Infidels, when he is converted unto penitence; let him be anathema.

CANON XII.-If any one saith, that no one is to be baptized save at that age at which Christ was baptized, or in the very article of death; let him be anathema.

CANON XIII.-If any one saith, that little children, for that they have not actual faith, are not, after having received baptism, to be reckoned amongst the faithful; and that, for this cause, they are to be rebaptized when they have attained to years of discretion; or, that it is better that the baptism of such be omitted, than that, while not believing by their own act, they should be bapized in the faith alone of the Church; let him be anathema.

CANON XIV.-If any one saith, that those who have been thus baptized when children, are, when they have grown up, to be asked whether they will ratify what their sponsors promised in their names when they were baptized; and that, in case they answer that they will not, they are to be left to their own will; and are not to be compelled meanwhile to a Christian life by any other penalty, save that they be excluded from the participation of the Eucharist, and of the other sacraments, until they repent; let him be anathema.

Will you trust God's eternal inspired living Word OR little men" word and ideas???

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism has no power in and of itself. Baptism is a religious ritual indicating a person's desire and commitment to becoming a disciple of Christ. Being a disciple of Christ is actually what brings life.

Don't confuse the symbol with what it represents.
The only way that baptism would not save a man is if he is insincere and as the result he subsequently denies Christ after having confessed Him in baptism...saying that he had not faith at all when he surrendered to the sacrament.

Baptism in Jesus' Name is in fact the initiation into becoming a disciple of Christ that is set forth by scripture as the means by which you become a disciple of Christ.

I suppose that if someone publicly calls on the name of the Lord, that in that they will have confessed Jesus before men; and therefore Jesus will also confess them before His Father which is in heaven (Matthew 10:32).

But I do not see any better way to call on the name of the Lord publicly than through identifying with His death, burial, and resurrection through water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only way that baptism would not save a man is if he is insincere and as the result he subsequently denies Christ after having confessed Him in baptism...saying that he had not faith at all when he surrendered to the sacrament.

Baptism in Jesus' Name is in fact the initiation into becoming a disciple of Christ that is set forth by scripture as the means by which you become a disciple of Christ.

I suppose that if someone publicly calls on the name of the Lord, that in that they will have confessed Jesus before men; and therefore Jesus will also confess them before His Father which is in heaven (Matthew 10:32).

But I do not see any better way to call on the name of the Lord publicly than through identifying with His death, burial, and resurrection through water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.
First, I do not believe that sacramentalism is a Biblical teaching. The Catholic church teaches that there are 7 sacraments, but this teaching does not come from the New Testament. The Catholic church teaches that one must perform various "rites" as a means to God's grace, which is essentially a pagan idea, which answers to the question, "what must I do in order to get divine help?"

The New Testament teaches that salvation is a "free gift" Romans 6:23, and so the answer comes back, "God needs nothing from you including baptism." We are saved by grace, not by performing the sacraments. Baptism is NOT something we do for God. Baptism is something we do for ourselves.

Second, we ask the question, can God save me if I don't live next to a clean water source or if alligators or other dangerous creatures live in the water? Of course, God needs nothing from me. All I need to do is ask. Matthew 6:23, Matthew 7:7 But then, God already knows what I seek and what I want. Matthew 6:8 He knows before I ask. God doesn't need me to ask. I ask because I need.

Finally, there are as many reasons to get baptized as there are churches, each giving their own reasons. But the New Testament teaching concerning baptism is very simple. If a man wants to give expression to his desire to become a disciple of Jesus Christ, he asks someone to baptize him in the name of Jesus Christ. If a woman wants to give expression to her desire to become a disciple of Jesus Christ, she asks someone to baptize her in the name of Jesus Christ. In this way each individual signals his or her intention to follow Jesus and obey his teaching. This is not a means to God's grace; this is a result of God's grace.

But if God affords an individual no opportunity for the rite of baptism, this is no obstacle to his grace. He is merciful and loving and kind and gracious. He saves whomever he wants.