If Baptism could save then there is no need for the shed Blood of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything to isolate your pet verse, build your own doctrine on it and ignore the rest of scripture that does not harmonize with your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38. Typical cult mentality.
Simple obedience to Acts 2:38 is all I need.

Some folks wish it was never written by Luke.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter-ism.

Not PReterism.
Does that include these verses

Matt 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
(The apostles)
——————

Only Peter and the apostles and their successors have the teaching authority of Christ with the guarantee of the Holy Spirit! Matt 16:18 matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13

————

Fathers have care of their children, spiritual fathers care for our souls!

Pope, papa, father, yes spiritual father!

Is 22

Matt 10:2
First apostle Peter:

Matt 17:27
Jesus and Peter are one:
Jesus even works a miracle to make this point. 27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: and the power to bind and loose:

Mt 17:27
Peter commanded to confirm his breathren:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Peter is the prince of the apostles, head of the universal church on earth!

Jn 20:21-23
Peter and the apostles receive the Holy Spirit and the power to forgive sins:

Acts 1:15 1:17 1:26
Peter declares Judas office of apostle valid and vacant and chooses a successor:

Acts 2:14
Peter preaches the first sermon on Pentecost:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that include these verses

Matt 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
(The apostles)
——————

Only Peter and the apostles and their successors have the teaching authority of Christ with the guarantee of the Holy Spirit! Matt 16:18 matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13

————

Fathers have care of their children, spiritual fathers care for our souls!

Pope, papa, father, yes spiritual father!

Is 22

Matt 10:2
First apostle Peter:

Matt 17:27
Jesus and Peter are one:
Jesus even works a miracle to make this point. 27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: and the power to bind and loose:

Mt 17:27
Peter commanded to confirm his breathren:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Peter is the prince of the apostles, head of the universal church on earth!

Jn 20:21-23
Peter and the apostles receive the Holy Spirit and the power to forgive sins:

Acts 1:15 1:17 1:26
Peter declares Judas office of apostle valid and vacant and chooses a successor:

Acts 2:14
Peter preaches the first sermon on Pentecost:
....Peter quotes Acts 2:38 to be saved.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you rejecting 1 pet 3:21?

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark and the church there is no salvation!)

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple obedience to Acts 2:38 is all I need.

Some folks wish it was never written by Luke.
Well after all it’s the only verse in the entire Bible. I wish no such thing about it never being written, but I do wish people would properly harmonize Scripture with Scripture before reaching their conclusion on doctrine instead of isolating pet verses, building doctrine on them and ignoring the rest.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are other verses

Baptism!

Old Testament pre-figures of baptism.

Psalm 36:9
For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.

Song of Solomon 4:15
A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.

Isaiah 41:18
I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put withi n you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

New Testament

Matt 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

( Disciples by baptism not faith alone)

Mk 1:4
John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 16:16
he who believes and is baptized shall be saved!

Jn 1: 11
He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (Baptism)

John 1:26
John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6
And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)

John3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22
After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4
When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Act 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(Baptism)

Acts 8:36
And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Philip preached Jesus and the result is justification by baptism!

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Rom 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ephesians 1:13
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 4:5 
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Gal 4:19
My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (baptism)

Heb 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 1:22
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: see Ez 36

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark and the church there is no salvation!)

—————

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptism!

—————

Becoming a Disciple by baptism!

Matt 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well after all it’s the only verse in the entire Bible. I wish no such thing about it never being written, but I do wish people would properly harmonize Scripture with Scripture before reaching their conclusion on doctrine instead of isolating pet verses, building doctrine on them and ignoring the rest.
Where does the Bible say to harmonize scripture with scripture or interpret scripture with scripture?

the apostles are to teach Matt 28:19

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You got the cart AFTER the horse...Acts 2:38 comes first, then your quotes afterwards.

You come around to Acts 2:38, last.

This is akin to reading the Bible backwards.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You got the cart AFTER the horse...Acts 2:38 comes first, then your quotes afterwards.

You come around to Acts 2:38, last.

This is akin to reading the Bible backwards.
I already explained it to you multiple times. I did not come around to Acts 2:38 last. You act like a child. I interpreted (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) all in harmony. Deal with it.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the Bible say to harmonize scripture with scripture or interpret scripture with scripture?

the apostles are to teach Matt 28:19
So you reject Biblical hermeneutics? 2 Timothy 2:15 - Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Isolating a pet verse, building doctrine on it that contradicts other passages of scripture is not properly harmonizing scripture with scripture, but you don't care. All you care about is accommodating your biased church doctrine at all costs. Typical cult mentality.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already explained it to you multiple times. I did not come around to Acts 2:38 last. You act like a child. I interpreted (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) all in harmony. Deal with it.
Dan, you skeedaddled right by Acts 2:38, which was first, then circled around and looked cross at it, as if it meant something else.

I dare you to cut and paste it on your next post.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you reject Biblical hermeneutics? 2 Timothy 2:15 - Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Isolating a pet verse, building doctrine on it that contradicts other passages of scripture is not properly harmonizing scripture with scripture, but you don't care. All you care about is accommodating your biased church doctrine at all costs. Typical cult mentality.
That verse is for an apostle not you as a believer!
You are to be instructed! Lk 1:4
matt 28:19

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical.

Even if that is the case, it does not mean that we are to ignore "what is in parentheses".

"What is in parentheses" does have an impact on our doctrine; and I would say that it is not as omittable as some would make it out to be.

I think that there is definitely a gambling on eternity that takes place among those who deny that baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save and that it is the condition to a promise that is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call (see Acts of the Apostles 2:39, Romans 8:30)...the promise of the Holy Ghost.

I would encourage every believer in Jesus Christ not to make such a gamble; but that they "get this one done"...baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

If you don't, you may find on the day of judgment that you were never called...and therefore were not previous to that, predestinated, neither, subsequent to that, justified and then glorified.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that there is definitely a gambling on eternity that takes place among those who deny that baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save and that it is the condition to a promise that is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call (see Acts of the Apostles 2:39, Romans 8:30)...the promise of the Holy Ghost..
So you believe that it’s not enough to be water baptized, but the person being water baptized must actually trust in the water to save them or else they won’t be saved? Your faith is in water for salvation and is not in Christ alone. See Acts (10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9) on how to receive the Holy Spirit.

You are free to trust in the water god for salvation if you wish, but I will continue to trust in the Savior God. Either we are trusting 100% in Jesus Christ alone for salvation or else we are 100% lost. You’ve been served.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe that it’s not enough to be water baptized, but the person being water baptized must actually trust in the water to save them or else they won’t be saved? Your faith is in water for salvation and is not in Christ alone. See Acts (10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9) on how to receive the Holy Spirit.

You are free to trust in the water god for salvation if you wish, but I will continue to trust in the Savior God. Either we are trusting 100% in Jesus Christ alone for salvation or else we are 100% lost. You’ve been served.
It is by the name of Jesus and the symbolism of what the water means that God saves folks.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My trust is not in the water but in the operation of God in that I have confessed the Lordship of Jesus Christ in the most concrete way that I can, by identifying with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection.

If that identification could be made apart from going underneath the water, then I would say more power to the one who identifies with His death, burial, and resurrection, in such a manner.

But I think that baptism is unique in that when we go under the water, we directly symbolize that we have already died and that we are being buried with Christ, to be resurrected unto a walk of newness of life when we come up out of the water. I don't think that this spiirtual reality can be symbolized in any other way.

This identification with Christ is indeed the most powerful way that a person can confess Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

In confessing Jesus a man is saved....Jesus will also confess them before His Father who is in heaven (Matthew 10:32).

I suppose that a man can confess Him in other ways...but I find that many who confess Him in other ways end up having problems later and therefore I have doubts as to the validity of other forms of confessing Him.

In Mark 16:16 we go from an iffy proposition in John 3:16 to a more absolute assurance that we have been saved.

The one who merely believes in Christ "should not perish." (John 3:16).

The one who believes and is baptized "shall be saved." (Mark 16:16).

The one who calls on the name of the Lord "shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).