If Baptism could save then there is no need for the shed Blood of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance = change your mind
That's how it starts.

It also includes getting rid of stuff and changing some actions.

If I "decide" to never drink, then get drunk, I have not repented, but "decided".

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So was the early church that started at Pentecost(Acts 2).
No, the early church was not a one string banjo. Acts 2:38 is not the only verse in the book of Acts. (Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) You need to learn how to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the early church was not a one string banjo. Acts 2:38 is not the only verse in the book of Acts. (Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) You need to learn how to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine.
"What must we do" per verse 37 was answered in verse 38 of Acts 2.

You cannot continue looking for things to do or not to do.

C'mon, Dan!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What must we do" per verse 37 was answered in verse 38 of Acts 2.

You cannot continue looking for things to do or not to do.

C'mon, Dan!
I already explained your one string banjo verse to you multiple times now. I can see that you are thoroughly indoctrinated into Campbellism. What must we do per Acts 16:30-31? You would walk around mountains of grace in order to find water.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already explained your one string banjo verse to you multiple times now. I can see that you are thoroughly indoctrinated into Campbellism. What must we do per Acts 16:30-31? You would walk around mountains of grace in order to find water.
I am into Peterism.

Peter came up with Acts 2:38 at Pentecost.

You should try his concept instead of modern concepts.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am into Peterism.

Peter came up with Acts 2:38 at Pentecost.

You should try his concept instead of modern concepts.
No, you are into Campbellism and are stuck on your biased Campbellite interpretation of Acts 2:38.

What did Peter say in Acts 3:19?

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.

What did Peter say in Acts 10:43-47?

Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify of Him, that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins. 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. 45 All the Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had also been poured out on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter responded, 47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"

So these Gentiles believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and also spoke in tongues (spiritual gift that is ONLY for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved BEFORE WATER BAPTISM. You need to read ALL that Peter said instead of merely isolating your pet verse. I can see that you are having a very difficult time being able to see anything beyond your church of Christ indoctrination. I at one time had temporarily attended the church of Christ several years ago and it seemed like water baptism was just about the only thing they talked about.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you are into Campbellism and are stuck on your biased Campbellite interpretation of Acts 2:38.

What did Peter say in Acts 3:19?

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.

What did Peter say in Acts 10:43-47?

Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify of Him, that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins. 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. 45 All the Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had also been poured out on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter responded, 47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"

So these Gentiles believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and also spoke in tongues (spiritual gift that is ONLY for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved BEFORE WATER BAPTISM. You need to read ALL that Peter said instead of merely isolating your pet verse. I can see that you are having a very difficult time being able to see anything beyond your church of Christ indoctrination. I at one time had temporarily attended the church of Christ several years ago and it seemed like water baptism was just about the only thing they talked about.
You did it again!

You skipped Acts 2:38.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did it again!

You did it again! You ignored my refutation. All you do is read (your pet verse) Acts 2:38, then ignore and skip the rest. Once again (and pay attention this time) in Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did it again! You ignored my refutation. All you do is read (your pet verse) Acts 2:38, then ignore and skip the rest. Once again (and pay attention this time) in Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*
Anything to do away with the very first command by Peter at Pentecost per how to get their sins remitted, huh?

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!!!

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved....................

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

An example prayer for those that have never talked to God!

Heavenly Father:........................................... ...............................
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything to do away with the very first command by Peter at Pentecost per how to get their sins remitted, huh?
Anything to isolate your pet verse, build your own doctrine on it and ignore the rest of scripture that does not harmonize with your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38. Typical cult mentality.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!!!

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved....................

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

An example prayer for those that have never talked to God!

Heavenly Father:........................................... ...............................
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen
Congratulations!

You just joined the Acts skippers club.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your not authorized to reach a conclusion on doctrine, doctrine by nature must be revealed, taught Lk 1 instructed