If God were not God, God would be arrogant. Discuss.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So this is as much about Witnessing, as anything else. It's about the nature of our relationship with God, but also who God is. By providing something that you can test, it will give you an answer to the doubts you have. Not everyone doubts, but some certainly do. I, for myself, have often wondered "what difference does it make, to believe in God, if all I do is believe?" It's a difficult question, if you try to answer it, separate from God. But we don't have to answer it, separate from God - what a joy?
If God were not God, God would be arrogant (selah)
The point of this proverb, is that it establishes there is something you can test, about God, if you decide to believe in Him. If you believed in God, how would it change God? The answer is, it wouldn't. But that is not the end: the end is to understand, how is it that God does not change. In other words, what is God maintaining, that keeps Him from changing. The answer is simple: "God resists the proud and humbles the arrogant" (from memory, letters), God does not want to change when you believe in Him, because He doesn't want to become arrogant!

So does God get arrogant? That is something only you can answer; you have to test it, the way you would test anything. You could even ask "God, if you are real, does my believing in You make You arrogant?" The only answer God can give is "No". There you have it! Something to base your relationship with God, on. If God is never going to become arrogant, you can trust His Council. You can trust His Word. You can trust His Power. Now the Devil may object "wait until you see God in Heaven, then make up your mind", but what a waste of a life - if God is never going to change, then trusting God makes sense now! You don't have to worry about God taking advantage of you, because you have His Word, that He will never become arrogant, because of you (or anyone else).

This is the beginning of a wonderful relationship, one you can cherish, one you can share. I hope these words have been of some encouragement to you.

God bless.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,

So this is as much about Witnessing, as anything else. It's about the nature of our relationship with God, but also who God is. By providing something that you can test, it will give you an answer to the doubts you have. Not everyone doubts, but some certainly do. I, for myself, have often wondered "what difference does it make, to believe in God, if all I do is believe?" It's a difficult question, if you try to answer it, separate from God. But we don't have to answer it, separate from God - what a joy?

The point of this proverb, is that it establishes there is something you can test, about God, if you decide to believe in Him. If you believed in God, how would it change God? The answer is, it wouldn't. But that is not the end: the end is to understand, how is it that God does not change. In other words, what is God maintaining, that keeps Him from changing. The answer is simple: "God resists the proud and humbles the arrogant" (from memory, letters), God does not want to change when you believe in Him, because He doesn't want to become arrogant!

So does God get arrogant? That is something only you can answer; you have to test it, the way you would test anything. You could even ask "God, if you are real, does my believing in You make You arrogant?" The only answer God can give is "No". There you have it! Something to base your relationship with God, on. If God is never going to become arrogant, you can trust His Council. You can trust His Word. You can trust His Power. Now the Devil may object "wait until you see God in Heaven, then make up your mind", but what a waste of a life - if God is never going to change, then trusting God makes sense now! You don't have to worry about God taking advantage of you, because you have His Word, that He will never become arrogant, because of you (or anyone else).

This is the beginning of a wonderful relationship, one you can cherish, one you can share. I hope these words have been of some encouragement to you.

God bless.
I agree that God is not arrogant, and that we ask questions that desire a rational answer. I think the answer is, We do need to "test God," as you say. In better words, we have to *experience God* to truly know He is who He claims to be. Once we come into a relationship with Him, we can know He is perfect, not arrogant, and not anything like sinful man.

But how do we trust God to begin with, even before we experience Him? Our conscience does not lie. When God presents Himself to us, He presents us with an experience that leads us into deeper experience. That is, from the start we can know He is who He claims to be simply because *He comes to us with an experience.*

So what we really need is to respond morally to His presentation, and then to dive deeper into an experience with Him that confirms our initial experience.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gottservant

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Careful!!! Satan and demons love to give little men "experiences"!!
Right. Experience is subjective. However, I love the song Chuck Girard wrote many years ago, and its title: "Everybody Knows For Sure, When They Find The Heart That's Pure."

When you experience Jesus for real, you either embrace him or doubt him. If you embrace him, you will find yourself embracing all the proof you need as to what is true or false about the experience.

A true experience of Jesus testifies to his righteousness, his forgiveness, his mercy, his kindness, his gentleness, as well as his holiness. If you're afraid that you might be making a mistake when you experience this, you're just making excuses for your own independence and sin. And you should be cautious about that, as well!

Matt 16.15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

"Little men" tend to develop Messiah Complexes, as well, and wish to be a "go between," between men and their experience of Messiah. They would warn men not to just accept any old Messiah, but to go through their advice in determining how to approach any so-called "Messiah."

However, what is to say that these "little men," who would advise others, are not just as susceptible to false experiences, as well? Jesus himself warned against those with a Messiah Complex when he said this....

Matt 24.23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.
26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it.

To give educated advice is good, and we should be warned against embracing any so-called "claim" or subjective "experience." At the same time we should understand that God is perfectly able to demonstrate to men who He is, when the Gospel is preached. We are entrusted with a message that God uses to introduce Himself to men individually. And we need to trust He is able to do that without too much "coaching" from us.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gottservant

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes! satan can appear as a angel of light how many might he fool with some 'EXPERENCE?????

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes! satan can appear as a angel of light how many might he fool with some 'EXPERENCE?????
How do you know whether *you've* been fooled by your experience of Salvation? How do you know you have the right God? Again, you know by your own subjective experience. You either experience the holy God, or you are following after a deceiving experience that isn't really who he claims to be. You have to experience it for yourself and know it for yourself.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know whether *you've* been fooled by your experience of Salvation? How do you know you have the right God? Again, you know by your own subjective experience. You either experience the holy God, or you are following after a deceiving experience that isn't really who he claims to be. You have to experience it for yourself and know it for yourself.
Believe and trust God's Word.
Romans 10:9-13 == if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. It also says that with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. The passage emphasizes that there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, and that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
WHERE is ONE verse in the 66 Books of the Holy Bible, that says "God needs to be defended"???

Those who believe in this NONSENSE, do NOT know the God of the Bible!
"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling" Phil 2:12

(To me) that means work out the purpose of your salvation.

Jesus said "You believe in God, believe also in Me" that means establish a connection between Him and God: I find that connection in defending God.

Abraham was called a friend of God, and you will stop me if I defend God?

If God is unhappy with what I am doing, He has the Holy Spirit to reach me - the same goes for you.