If I'm a sinner how can I be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Not arguing but discussing. I have five grandchildren and they have lost parents to drug addictions, death, so much more. Most are checked out and distracted already very much disappointed by uncertainty and losses. People say ‘don’t worry’ children are resilient and bounce back easily no matter what ...bounce back or suppress and ignore not knowing how else to deal? Ages here ranging from 3 to thirteen ...wadr how many children have you spoken to that are happy? Happy yes because their parents are the providers and they don’t have to worry? Families are breaking down ...those happy kids are not aware all those safe islands counselors say should always be there as a place for them to go, are becoming more rare? Again wadr not sure what kids you are talking to that are happy with nothing.
i mean little kids, 2 or 3 years old, or even less, before the cares of the world intrude, before they are weaned on electronics, etc. So for those kids, the ones you describe, caught up in their parents' sin, i would say that surely there is no hiding place, such as might be imagined, as they have now killed Immanuel and entered the world, like we all do?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wadr i dont think the two go together; the first is Esau talking, and the second in Roman times salt was used for pay, same root as salary, so i think there our assumption of the "religious" definition of salt is being turned on its head possibly, and the passage might be talking about money, as the entire passage maybe bears out,

25Large crowds were now traveling with Jesus, and He turned and said to them,
26“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be My disciple.
27And whoever does not carry his cross and follow Me cannot be My disciple.
28Which of you, wishing to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost to see if he has the resources to complete it?
29Otherwise, if he lays the foundation and is unable to finish the work, everyone who sees it will ridicule him,
30saying, ‘This man could not finish what he started to build.’
31Or what king on his way to war with another king will not first sit down and consider whether he can engage with ten thousand men the one coming against him with twenty thousand?
32And if he is unable, he will send a delegation while the other king is still far off, to ask for terms of peace.
33In the same way, any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple.

while also reiterating why a rich man has problems entering the kingdom. Camels were a unit of trade also, and likely represent "markets," hence camel through the eye of a needle

He is and was not the salt of the earth cast out of men and trampled under foot? Acts 8:32-33 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: [33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

Daniel 8:13-14 Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot? [14] And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Maybe I need a break. Maybe a long one. Value your opinion. Will consider for sure and go back and read all your post here again.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In the end he cannot serve both, but along the way he certainly tries, swinging to and fro... to God's side and then back to his own side. This is that double mindedness about which James also writes. If one stays on the road this way indefinitely he will reach the end of the road in the middle and here we see the final result:

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth." Rev 3:15-16

How long does a man have to move out of the middle of the road to God's side?
we make a lot of compromises to get along in the world i guess huh

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
was not the salt of the earth cast out of men and trampled under foot? Acts 8:32-33 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: [33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
there might be some correlation there, but imo we should also see where there might not be? However we can rely on money (salt) or Yah, for our needs, so ill give that some thought myself :)

why would a guy, a Being, who had no place to lay His head, want to continue living anyway? Someone might ask

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why would a guy, a Being, who had no place to lay His head, want to continue living anyway? Someone might ask
JESUS, SAVIOR, GOD, MESSIAH, KING! NAME ABOVE EVERY NAME !

FOR THE JOY SET BEFORE HIM!

Same for men - whos'ever gives up the flesh, the sin, the carnal, life and prosperity on and of this world,

to receive eternal life, TRUSTING in the FATHER as written, to accomplish SALVATION IN JESUS...

thus already with fullness of joy of salvation in union with Messiah and with the Father today,

no shortage of earthly comforts hinders our joy, peace , or righteousness in Christ Jesus TODAY !

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ones trained by Jesus : no compromise.
Keith Green: no compromise.
Born again, set apart by the Father for Himself: no compromise.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
JESUS, SAVIOR, GOD, MESSIAH, KING! NAME ABOVE EVERY NAME !

FOR THE JOY SET BEFORE HIM!

Same for men - whos'ever gives up the flesh, the sin, the carnal, life and prosperity on and of this world,

to receive eternal life, TRUSTING in the FATHER as written, to accomplish SALVATION IN JESUS...

thus already with fullness of joy of salvation in union with Messiah and with the Father today,

no shortage of earthly comforts hinders our joy, peace , or righteousness in Christ Jesus TODAY !
easy to say i guess, yes
The ones trained by Jesus : no compromise.
Keith Green: no compromise.
Born again, set apart by the Father for Himself: no compromise.
well, so you say anyway, but seems to me that both yielding and surrender are close to "compromise," at least of a sort? I have made "compromises" to...to even speak to you in this manner, to even be here today, at least sort of. So maybe it depends upon the context, dunno

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However we can rely on money (salt) or Yah, for our needs, so ill give that some thought myself :)

Never heard money is the salt of the earth. Do you mean more than literal cash bills and debits because all things can be used to barter with? Some overlooked or gets lost under the subheading money. Some have sold their children to eat.

What I’ve thought there (right or wrong) is the trampled under foot is what the rich man didn’t want to hear because great were his possessions. Hebrews 13:12-13 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. [13] Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

Why would a guy who lost his head want to continue living?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Never heard money is the salt of the earth.
yet salt and salary share the same root, and salt was used as pay in roman times i guess,
"The pay or wages you earn for doing your job is called your salary. ... Salary comes from the Latin word salarium, which also means "salary" and has the root sal, or "salt." In ancient Rome, it specifically meant the amount of money allotted to a Roman soldier to buy salt, which was an expensive but essential commodity."

so, as we--well maybe not us but followers of Christ anyway--are also called "salt" (of the earth) right i suggest that salt is being used two diff ways maybe, and i guess we might even contrast these two passages,
11Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets before you.
13You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its savor, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

that contrasted with the earlier Luke one, where it is suggested that "it is no good for the soil or the manure pile," which is not true for actual people, who are great for the soil, right, or at least the manure pile, if a spiritual def of "soil" is used

Why would a guy who lost his head want to continue living?
who lost their head?

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not disagree Amadeus. For me it is still that Jesus beholding him loved the man. Same as while we were yet sinners God loved us and prepared a way. Was also thinking of double minded there. Listened to a podcast the other day called a divided heart. There again, what is impossible with men, is possible with God who is able to overcome a divided heart. If there is no hope for any divided heart then how many today, would there be no offer of hope? (Of singleness Of heart) As to walking away grieved for great were his possessions ...I’ve walked away (more than once)grieved before wanting something more ‘the substance of things not seen’ but still liking my self-seeking pleasures more. If there is no hope for he who walks away grieved for great is the loss of all his many great possessions (Matthew 7:27)...then kind of understand their astonishment ‘who then can be saved’?
Certainly God is able to overcome a divided heart, but God has given us the reins, the control over our choices. He is bound by His own Word. The choice remains with us while we have time. [How much time do we have?] When the obstacle is too great for us to overcome, God is there, but He will Not force Himself on anyone. We need to open our own hearts to Him and sincerely ask for His help. Only we can open that door, while we still have the dominion over ourselves.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." Gen 1:26-28

The dominion over every living thing included dominion over himself. Man is unable to properly handle that dominion, but it is his nonetheless. Only by giving it back to God can a person walk the right Way.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

God sent His Son to us to help us, but the choices are still ours alone..

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now if we would just contrast this with the impression we are given right after our ritual baptisms, where we are usually given many assurances of immortality after death and etc, given a big ego-boost, right, Jesus is a ransom for many
Few there are who find it
Esau have i hated
You can explain these things again by questions and even by answers, but only God really gives the increase and some people really don't want an increase that would upset their carefully organized applecart!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and we may through our interest in the world, too often perhaps lose track of our time, but God does not. He knows better than we do how much time we each have left. The day after someone shovels dirt in our face is certainly a bit late.

Reactions: bbyrd009

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
When any seed is sown, and watered, (which people can do),
it is still only God Who Gives Growth, as He Pleases.
We can do nothing of ourselves.
if this was the case....
i really want to scream lol i don't really know but i am not in the right mood

if this was the case then where is judas iscariot now?

he was sacrifice to be the betrayer of christ he took the big part of being a traitor in God's plan i feel so crap it was like someone's telling me that this is why the fallen angels are rebelling why judas of all people? why me? what did i do? why is it that i do not have alife in this world and why even though i do not want to admit it i am not a child of God but a child of satan

why me? i do not have a life in this world nor a life in the next world the people of God they can hear the word of God and they follow while i can't hear the word of God and i also do not want to admit i feel like crying why i do not hear the word of God but i hear the word of satan and follow

what exactly did i do
what exactly did judas iscariot do to deserve that

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
His only focus was himself.
but if he did not do that it would be someone else who would and it would repeat his only focus was himself but he did not do that... but he needs to because that is God's plan christ needs to die on the cross

judas was an scape goat right?
he did his purpose in the God's plan

Reactions: Waiting on him