If I'm a sinner how can I be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:10-11
Very true, though most people don't realize that to be humble doesn't entail thinking meanly of yourself, being humble is not thinking of yourself at all.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true, though most people don't realize that to be humble doesn't entail thinking meanly of yourself, being humble is not thinking of yourself at all.
"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." Phil 2:3

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father" John 10:17-18

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understood, hopefully she'll get some peace over this soon.
It is a difficult thing for her. Her mother was never a mother to her. She had a good father, but he died when she was 8 years old. The brother that died was the only one from her immediate family that cared about her through the years... and of course she cared about him. Keep her in prayer!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

For God it is possible, but how does one get God to do the work for him?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" Matt 6:33

And also...

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." John 15:5-7

Do not disagree Amadeus. For me it is still that Jesus beholding him loved the man. Same as while we were yet sinners God loved us and prepared a way. Was also thinking of double minded there. Listened to a podcast the other day called a divided heart. There again, what is impossible with men, is possible with God who is able to overcome a divided heart. If there is no hope for any divided heart then how many today, would there be no offer of hope? (Of singleness Of heart) As to walking away grieved for great were his possessions ...I’ve walked away (more than once)grieved before wanting something more ‘the substance of things not seen’ but still liking my self-seeking pleasures more. If there is no hope for he who walks away grieved for great is the loss of all his many great possessions (Matthew 7:27)...then kind of understand their astonishment ‘who then can be saved’?

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me it is still that Jesus beholding him loved the man. Same as while we were yet sinners God loved us and prepared a way.
And if we never repented, what would be our judgment ? We would perish, forever.

Jesus still loved us, and gave Himself to save us, but if we walk away from Jesus,

if anyone tramples underfoot the blood of Jesus, the results are not eternal life with Jesus.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if we never repented, what would be our judgment ? We would perish, forever.

Jesus still loved us, and gave Himself to save us, but if we walk away from Jesus,

if anyone tramples underfoot the blood of Jesus, the results are not eternal life with Jesus.

‘If anyone trampled underfoot the blood of Jesus’ goes with the salt when it has lost its savor men cast it out and trample it underfoot, wherewithal shall it be seasoned? Luke 14:34-35 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? [35] It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

We can go around and around this all day. Really don’t think there is a disagreement only considering the OP, encouragement is good (imo). Only saying God is able to do the impossible. In Matthew 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Who prepared the rain, floods, and winds?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The giving up all is not so easily defined (imo). For instance, although one can give all their goods to feed the poor, even their body to be burned they can still lack one thing. As He said to that rich man ‘one thing thou still lack’.
I thought Jesus told the rich man to follow Jesus ? i.e. not as if "give" then rejoice and relax because you bought your redemption by giving ....

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only saying God is able to do the impossible.
Yes, when I saw this first posted, it looked as if it was trying to be used as an "excuse" for the rich man or for one's self - even though not obedient, as if God can and therefore would for some reason save, not according to His Own Word.
The requirements He Gives are requirements, not suggestions.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Do not disagree Amadeus. For me it is still that Jesus beholding him loved the man. Same as while we were yet sinners God loved us and prepared a way. Was also thinking of double minded there. Listened to a podcast the other day called a divided heart. There again, what is impossible with men, is possible with God who is able to overcome a divided heart. If there is no hope for any divided heart then how many today, would there be no offer of hope? (Of singleness Of heart) As to walking away grieved for great were his possessions ...I’ve walked away (more than once)grieved before wanting something more ‘the substance of things not seen’ but still liking my self-seeking pleasures more. If there is no hope for he who walks away grieved for great is the loss of all his many great possessions (Matthew 7:27)...then kind of understand their astonishment ‘who then can be saved’?
well little kids dont own anything, and they are happy

Reactions: Joseph77

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought Jesus told the rich man to follow Jesus ? i.e. not as if "give" then rejoice and relax because you bought your redemption by giving ....

Why such focus on the rich man and not on the ‘all things are possible with God’?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If anyone trampled underfoot the blood of Jesus’ goes with the salt when it has lost its savor men cast it out and trample it underfoot, wherewithal shall it be seasoned? Luke 14:34-35 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? [35] It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
wadr i dont think the two go together; the first is Esau talking, and the second in Roman times salt was used for pay, same root as salary, so i think there our assumption of the "religious" definition of salt is being turned on its head possibly, and the passage might be talking about money, as the entire passage maybe bears out,

25Large crowds were now traveling with Jesus, and He turned and said to them,
26“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be My disciple.
27And whoever does not carry his cross and follow Me cannot be My disciple.
28Which of you, wishing to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost to see if he has the resources to complete it?
29Otherwise, if he lays the foundation and is unable to finish the work, everyone who sees it will ridicule him,
30saying, ‘This man could not finish what he started to build.’
31Or what king on his way to war with another king will not first sit down and consider whether he can engage with ten thousand men the one coming against him with twenty thousand?
32And if he is unable, he will send a delegation while the other king is still far off, to ask for terms of peace.
33In the same way, any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple.

while also reiterating why a rich man has problems entering the kingdom. Camels were a unit of trade also, and likely represent "markets," hence camel through the eye of a needle

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well little kids dont own anything, and they are happy

Not arguing but discussing. I have five grandchildren and they have lost parents to drug addictions, death, so much more. Most are checked out and distracted already very much disappointed by uncertainty and losses. People say ‘don’t worry’ children are resilient and bounce back easily no matter what ...bounce back or suppress and ignore not knowing how else to deal? Ages here ranging from 3 to thirteen ...wadr how many children have you spoken to that are happy? Happy yes because their parents are the providers and they don’t have to worry? Families are breaking down ...those happy kids are not aware all those safe islands counselors say should always be there as a place for them to go, are becoming more rare? Again wadr not sure what kids you are talking to that are happy with nothing.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:10-11
now if we would just contrast this with the impression we are given right after our ritual baptisms, where we are usually given many assurances of immortality after death and etc, given a big ego-boost, right, Jesus is a ransom for many
Few there are who find it
Esau have i hated

Reactions: amadeus