If You had a serious mental health issue, would you be open about it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be open about mental illness?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just joking, I am married. The Antichrist will persecute Christians one way or another. I suppose Muslim terrorists can comb this forum and say, Hay, there's one who was foolish enough to give his real name - lets get em! I guess I'll get to heaven sooner? Or maybe the I.R.S. will be paying me a visit soon? "There's one of those conservative Christians - get em!"
Well with the topics of antiabortion and GBLT and how heated anger can get. I just error on the side of caution. Does God require me to share my identity online to weigh in on a subject?

There was an interesting thread posted here: Church Invasions: A Fad Of The Future

And it looked like the anti-Christianity problem was starting to get serious or could turn serious in the future.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well with the topics of antiabortion and GBLT and how heated anger can get. I just error on the side of caution. Does God require me to share my identity online to weigh in on a subject?

There was an interesting thread posted here: Church Invasions: A Fad Of The Future

And it looked like the anti-Christianity problem was starting to get serious or could turn serious in the future.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If You had a serious mental health issue, would you be open about it?

Depends what type it was, and whether it was affecting my everyday life, otherwise i'd just soldier on.
But if it was more serious and was disrupting my life and happiness I'd certainly discuss it with people and maybe see a doctor.
Personally, a wave of severe depression hit me out of the blue in 1978 for no apparent reason, it lasted about 8 weeks and my mind was being overwhelmed by feelings of the utter uselessness and meaningless of life, as if dark thoughts had somehow got into my head and hijacked my mind.
It wasn't serious enough to make me contemplate suicide, but it made me realise how it could drive some people to it.
I never discussed it with anyone but did pick up a bible to try to find some comfort in it that life wasn't useless and meaningless, and thankfully the depression eventually lifted, but I've never forgotten it.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know people who are fine being open about their mental illness.
That is not a good idea at all. Also, there can be various misunderstandings about "mental illness", so a strictly confidential discussion with a trustworthy Christian who is grounded in the faith is the only option for a believer who imagines he or she has a mental illness. As to the unsaved, mental illness could actually be demon possession. Those crazy Leftists shouting to promote abortion (killing infants) can only be regarded as demon-possessed.

Another aspect is that the Communists and Leftists will immediately label Christians and conservatives as being mentally ill. That is why they are locked up or banished in Communist countries. And now America has a Marxist/Fascist/Anarchist government which regards all conservatives as "domestic terrorists" and "semi-Fascists". So this is another reason not to discuss mental illness openly. Some things should be kept very confidential. There are now snitches being paid to report back to the "authorities" the "enemies of the state".

Reactions: marks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10
That scripture applied to what I was discussing reminds me more of those that feel they have great faith by handling rattlesnakes in church services.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HUH? Just saying it is going to get worse, and we will rejoice when it does. Just like the Coptics in Egypt...

Oh OK, thanks I kinda was wondering why you were posting that in response to me saying I prefer to remain anonymous.

Thanks for the encouragement, always welcome :)

Reactions: David H.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I post my picture and full name to be real up front, but am cautious about sharing too much - I don't want to attract too many women. Lol So why is it a bad idea? Do you think the boogie man will come find me and get me? I trust God will keep me safe ... or take me home, whichever He chooses.
It’s funny, but I post my real name (atpollard = A. T. Pollard) for the opposite reason … it reminds me not to write anything that I would not say and sign my name to. I have a naturally sharp tongue, so I need to keep a close watch on ME.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have noticed a large percentage of people stating that they have a mental illness on forums like this. I wonder if a forum's anonymity provides a safer environment to talk to people about it? Although the advice I think people get is often shocking and obnoxious. But not always.

And I have noticed that people discussing their illness can get encouragement to take their meds and regularly see a doctor. Which I think is important for some people. I noticed some people neglect that and perhaps need to be encouraged.
I think there is so much more liberty and peace about sharing with a group of brothers and sisters who don't know you personally. People you know or grew up with may not be as compassionate towards your illness.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have mild depression but severe major anxiety.

Now that I'm older it seems to get worse as traumatic events happen in my life.

When I self committed to our hospital psych ward they started me on psychotropic meds to help me sleep.

It made me crazy. I was having full blown visual & auditory hallunications. I STOPPED THEM.

@ 65 that is not where I want to be but it has given me more compassion for others.

My 1st husband had mental illness he passed to our son who in turn passed it to our grandson. Males seem hit harder than females with bi-polar or schizophrenia, or in the fems I know, it serms so.

The herbs I am taking are terrific, my doctor said a HARD NO to klonopin. I take lemon balm with passion flower,1 cap each twice a day.

Its light out at bedtime and I am so much less anxious. I also eat 1 tblsp of compressed coconut oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sigmund Freud said we all are crazy to some degree.
Robin Williams dealt with his own issues.
My character flaw is that I do not always have a good bedside manner for those that are mentally ill. It is not their fault, does not cut it with me.
A guy standing over a body with a knife in his hand saying, It is not my fault!
Or a person that abuses drugs or steals and says, It is not my fault!
A guy that drives while stoned on medical marijuana and kills a family and says It is not his fault..
It it not my fault, is not a legitimate excuse to forgo the consequences.
You don't want to lock up homicidal maniacs.....because it is not their fault? LOL

As far as sharing, can a person that does not have mental or emotional problems understand what someone that does, is going through? I am ex-military, blood and guts. I have seen it affect people differently....People sit in their homes and get haunted with small worries and confusion, and erratic thoughts....troubles that seem to be much bigger than what they really are.

But once they experience something to really worry about and are forced to focus on survival they can get over all that. Soldiers in battle that are covered with blood and standing over bodies have a tendency to get over the little things. Raising the bar of what is really an issue.

Of course I have seen the opposite....where war will unhinge some.

Either way I realize that I am deficient in understanding these things....my biggest problem is that I am a big hairy animal and I do not like hair. So I shave it off every so often so I can feel my clothes against my skin.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My character flaw is that I do not always have a good bedside manner for those that are mentally ill. It is not their fault, does not cut it with me.
A guy that drives while stoned on medical marijuana and kills a family and says It is not his fault..
You don't want to lock up homicidal maniacs.....because it is not their fault? LOL

As far as sharing, can a person that does not have mental or emotional problems understand what someone that does, is going through? I am ex-military, blood and guts. I have seen it affect people differently....People sit in their homes and get haunted with small worries and confusion, and erratic thoughts....troubles that seem to be much bigger than what they really are.

But once they experience something to really worry about and are forced to focus on survival they can get over all that. Soldiers in battle that are covered with blood and standing over bodies have a tendency to get over the little things. Raising the bar of what is really an issue.

Either way I realize that I am deficient in understanding these things....my biggest problem is that I am a big hairy animal and I do not like hair. So I shave it off every so often so I can feel my clothes against my skin.

Im responding to the last part of your post.

I HATE MY OWN HAIR!
I have shaved my head bald but try now just to keep a buzzcut.

Long hair on towels/ bath cloths and bedding sickens me! It like having a creep crawly attack you
{{{{{{{Shivers}}}}}}}}

Reactions: Grailhunter

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You present one side of the multi spectrum of the human mind. How the fight or flight syndrome is carried out by an individual is unique to each person.
I have ptsd...so they say. I don't like labels so this is an issue for me...however..I have severe anxiety/panic attacks that mimic a heart attack. I have had the ambulance called on numerous occasions only to find out it wasn't a heart attack. It's hard to determine when it is or isn't. I have chest pain, pain radiating down my arm, pain in my shoulders and neck, shortness of breath, my hands and feet turn blue...my blood pressure rises to 200/135....and everything goes back to normal within 30 minutes....but for me that is a long 30 minutes. I finally accepted this diagnosis a few months ago and haven't had an attack since taking prescribed meds....and I HATE taking pills.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You present one side of the multi spectrum of the human mind. How the fight or flight syndrome is carried out by an individual is unique to each person.
I have ptsd...so they say. I don't like labels so this is an issue for me...however..I have severe anxiety/panic attacks that mimic a heart attack. I have had the ambulance called on numerous occasions only to find out it wasn't a heart attack. It's hard to determine when it is or isn't. I have chest pain, pain radiating down my arm, pain in my shoulders and neck, shortness of breath, my hands and feet turn blue...my blood pressure rises to 200/135....and everything goes back to normal within 30 minutes....but for me that is a long 30 minutes. I finally accepted this diagnosis a few months ago and haven't had an attack since taking prescribed meds....and I HATE taking pills.

I know what you means on your panic attacks.
My daughters experience is like yours .
Mine are different and never do I feel as you both do.
I start off feeling like bugs are crawling on my head, then I get cold chills that brings violent shivers and I can get warm, I finally have to just pass out.

Our bodies are both fearfully and wonderfully made, yes
But can also be terrifying.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what you means on your panic attacks.
My daughters experience is like yours .
Mine are different and never do I feel as you both do.
I start off feeling like bugs are crawling on my head, then I get cold chills that brings violent shivers and I can get warm, I finally have to just pass out.

Our bodies are both fearfully and wonderfully made, yes
But can also be terrifying.
Oh that sucks! You pass out...mercy. I hope you're not driving when it happens!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What I said is true, if you live through horrible and horrendous things, you come out the other side different. It does not have to be war, just something that last for a while that you have to work through to survive and you have to go out of yourself to help others to survive. Fight or flight or fight to live or give up and die.

And again I am telling the truth....I am here reading what you are going through....I can wish or pray that you weren't going through it....I can be troubled that you are going through it. But I cannot feel your pain.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I said is true, if you live through horrible and horrendous things, you come out the other side different. It does not have to be war, just something that last for a while that you have to work through to survive and you have to go out of yourself to help others to survive. Fight or flight or fight to live or give up and die.

And again I am telling the truth....I am here reading what you are going through....I can wish or pray that you weren't going through it....I can be troubled that you are going through it. But I cannot feel your pain.
No you can't...but I don't feel the pain either. It's all my past internally bottled up and manifesting through physical disorders.
And yes, I know this will soon pass because the Holy Spirit has been bringing past traumas to my remembrance so that I can pray and forgive the person and let it go. I am doing much better....but I don't know if it's the meds or God...I prefer to think it is God healing me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you can't...but I don't feel the pain either. It's all my past internally bottled up and manifesting through physical disorders.
And yes, I know this will soon pass because the Holy Spirit has been bringing past traumas to my remembrance so that I can pray and forgive the person and let it go. I am doing much better....but I don't know if it's the meds or God...I prefer to think it is God healing me.

I believe that the creative spirit is of God, so at least part of technology was part of God's intent. The advancement in medicine is part of that, so I think it is both.....I pray for only good for you....sorry you have had it so rough. God bless.