If You had a serious mental health issue, would you be open about it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be open about mental illness?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know people who are fine being open about their mental illness.

I have admitted to having one but I don't really like talking about the diagnosis, symptoms, or direct effects on my life.

I find that people have a hard time understanding, seek to overstep in their advice and speak in the place of God, or think and speak less of you.

My thoughts on it now are that people don't really deserve the ammunition to hurt you like that.

I just wish that wasn't the case. I feel like my full testimony is rather uplifting, even with harsher details.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got ya. Suffered with major depression for years. I'v been hospitalized for it as well.

i think there are some people who think mental illness is not an illness but a possession. That is so archaic.
Thank The Lord these conditions are treatable.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Mental illness or lack of it is revealed in peoples attitude towards the other.....and towards one self.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have admitted to having one but I don't really like talking about the diagnosis, symptoms, or direct effects on my life.

I find that people have a hard time understanding, seek to overstep in their advice and speak in the place of God, or think and speak less of you.

My thoughts on it now are that people don't really deserve the ammunition to hurt you like that.

I just wish that wasn't the case. I feel like my full testimony is rather uplifting, even with harsher details.
I have mental illness, and I've become more comfortable speaking about it, but I recognize that not all details are always appropriate, to say the least!

So I share to the degree that seems appropriate and helpful, prayerfully. At times I've been much more candid than I've planned, and I trust the Holy Spirit to be guiding me.

I remember one time that I was giving a talk at a men's breakfast, and I made some very self-revelatory statements. I was talking to my pastor a few days later, and I told him, I was very encouraged by his example, having shared things about himself in his sermons. I always remember the look of chagrin that crossed his face as he acknowledged that. I realized he did the same thing I did, just being transparent when it seemed to be that time.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got ya. Suffered with major depression for years. I'v been hospitalized for it as well.

i think there are some people who think mental illness is not an illness but a possession. That is so archaic.
Thank The Lord these conditions are treatable.
Yes that does add insult to illness and is toxic to a conversation to tell someone they're possessed.

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it all depends. Being anonymous on a forum like this I don't have a problem sharing my details. But I don't like people discussing my illness so much. I like to be the one that chooses when it is discussed and what part of it is discussed.

On facebook I pretty much keep it to myself as I actually know the people there. And in person I also learned not to share.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have noticed a large percentage of people stating that they have a mental illness on forums like this. I wonder if a forum's anonymity provides a safer environment to talk to people about it? Although the advice I think people get is often shocking and obnoxious. But not always.

And I have noticed that people discussing their illness can get encouragement to take their meds and regularly see a doctor. Which I think is important for some people. I noticed some people neglect that and perhaps need to be encouraged.

Last edited:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have noticed a large percentage of people stating that they have a mental illness on forums like this. I wonder if a forum's anonymity provides a safer environment to talk to people about it? Although the advice I think people get is often shocking and obnoxious. But not always.

And I have noticed that people discussing their illness can get encouragement to take their meds and regularly see a doctor. Which I think is important for some people. I noticed some people neglect that and perhaps need to be encouraged.
Some people insisted I should get off medication and seek alternative healing. But they are not responsible for the damage that may be done if it fails, so I wish they would be quiet.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people insisted I should get off medication and seek alternative healing. But they are not responsible for the damage that may be done if it fails, so I wish they would be quiet.
That is one of the testimonies I like to share. I actually thought I was healed once and so I got off my medication and actually attacked someone. Ended up in Jail for a year and learned the hard way. Needless to say I now take my meds and will not let people convince me otherwise. And I like to encourage people sometimes to do the same so hopefully they can learn from my mistakes.

My neighbor suggested I get off my meds when I told him. But then he also told me I was suffering from Satanic forces. And also indicated my mentally ill brother was lazy. I ended up really wishing I hadn't opened up to him :IDK:

Reactions: marks

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’d like to say yes but I think probably no.

If “I don’t know / I’m not sure” was an option that is what I would have checked.

Reactions: marks and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is one of the testimonies I like to share. I actually thought I was healed once and so I got off my medication and actually attacked someone. Ended up in Jail for a year and learned the hard way. Needless to say I now take my meds and will not let people convince me otherwise. And I like to encourage people sometimes to do the same so hopefully they can learn from my mistakes.

My neighbor suggested I get off my meds when I told him. But then he also told me I was suffering from Satanic forces. And also indicated my mentally ill brother was lazy. I ended up really wishing I hadn't opened up to him :IDK:

That really bites. At least when I tried going off meds in the past, it was my own stubbornness.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think full self disclosure should be limited to those who really know and love you. They may or may not be able to offer helpful advice but can offer it with TLC and caution you not to get off medication that works for you. Because they love you, they will not use this information against you.
With relatively strangers online, I would bring such illnesses up in a general impersonal way as to discuss them openly.
I believe in natural cures for most things - that's me. My mother did too and didn't take any prescription drugs until well into her eighties before she died.
Sleep closure is also something you should be onguard with when you go out on your first date. I learned not to be so open and put everything on the table, it scares them away. A girl asking a boy too many questions: "Are you interested in marriage, having kids ... and Oh, on our next date do you want to meet my parents for dinner?" There won't be a next date. We need to grow our relationships, little by little, earn eachother's trust before we reveal all our problems and thoughts.
A couple who has been seriously dating for two years, love eachother and the those topics come up still may cause reluctance, a standoffish behavior or exit stage right. And "Oh, by the way, I have a mental illness ... how much do you love me now Johnny?" Even then, it can go south unless they deeply love you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona and marks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think full self disclosure should be limited to those who really know and love you. They may or may not be able to offer helpful advice but can offer it with TLC and caution you not to get off medication that works for you. Be mcause they love you, they will not use this information against you.
With relatively strangers online, I would bring such illnesses up in a general impersonal way as to discuss them openly.
I believe in natural cures for most things - that's me. My mother did too and didn't take any prescription drugs until well into her eighties before she died.
Sleep closure is also something you should be onguard with when you go out on your first date. I learned not to be so open and put everything on the table, it scares them away. A girl asking a boy too many questions: "Are you interested in marriage, having kids ... and Oh, on our next date do you want to meet my parents for dinner?" There won't be a next date. We need to grow our relationships, little by little, earn eachother's trust before we reveal all our problems and thoughts.
A couple who has been seriously dating for two years, love eachother and the those topics come up still may cause reluctance, a standoffish behavior or exit stage right. And "Oh, by the way, I have a mental illness ... how much do you love me now Johnny?" Even then, it can go south unless they deeply love you.
I think disclosure can show you what kind of people your talking to. So you can get to know them a little better and how they treat the disabled. It helps me to know where a person is coming from and whether or not I should be taking advice from them. And perhaps that's OK in an anonymous setting. For people that post their picture or full name I think that is a bad idea.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is nobody's business (not for general consumption) and only something to be brought up if God sends someone across your path that needs to hear it.

Think of the EXTRAORDINARY events of Paul's life (highs and lows) ... Pharisee, Stephen, Damascus, Vision, Thorn ... and yet, for all of the hundreds of pages that Paul recorded, he wrote only a handful of words on each ... mentioned in passing to make a point to someone that needed to hear that ... as he invested thousands of words pointing men to Christ without talking about himself.

Our stories are the same.

Reactions: Wynona and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've noticed that too. Not many noble, not many mighty, right? God calls the broken, and weak. And I don't always feel safe to say too much about myself, and oftentimes when I have written something particularly self revelatory I'll wait until I'm sure the intended person had a chance to read it, and then delete the post. Because I don't want other people to stumble on it later.

Forums, over the years, have been particularly meaningful to me in learning to talk about myself more freely. I don't expect that everyone is going to understand. It's just another thing to trust Jesus about, that I'll have wisdom and love as I share.

Much love!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think disclosure can show you what kind of people your talking to. So you can get to know them a little better and how they treat the disabled. It helps me to know where a person is coming from and whether or not I should be taking advice from them. And perhaps that's OK in an anonymous setting. For people that post their picture or full name I think that is a bad idea.
I post my picture and full name to be real up front, but am cautious about sharing too much - I don't want to attract too many women. Lol So why is it a bad idea? Do you think the boogie man will come find me and get me? I trust God will keep me safe ... or take me home, whichever He chooses.

Reactions: marks and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed that too. Not many noble, not many mighty, right? God calls the broken, and weak. And I don't always feel safe to say too much about myself, and oftentimes when I have written something particularly self revelatory I'll wait until I'm sure the intended person had a chance to read it, and then delete the post. Because I don't want other people to stumble on it later.

Forums, over the years, have been particularly meaningful to me in learning to talk about myself more freely. I don't expect that everyone is going to understand. It's just another thing to trust Jesus about, that I'll have wisdom and love as I share.

Much love!
I know I have heard others stories and those stories of their illness has been encouraging to me. And I have intern shared what helped me and hopefully that can help others.

I think someone pointed out in another thread, that this forum should have a section dedicated to illness and recovery where perhaps the rules are more strict on the content that can be posted there. :) And they have them on other forums, and it can be helpful to people suffering from a mental illness.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is nobody's business (not for general consumption) and only something to be brought up if God sends someone across your path that needs to hear it.

Think of the EXTRAORDINARY events of Paul's life (highs and lows) ... Pharisee, Stephen, Damascus, Vision, Thorn ... and yet, for all of the hundreds of pages that Paul recorded, he wrote only a handful of words on each ... mentioned in passing to make a point to someone that needed to hear that ... as he invested thousands of words pointing men to Christ without talking about himself.

Our stories are the same.
I quite agree! We need to watch our motivations, that we are not merely seeking some form of affirmation, whether sympathy or admiration or something else.

Paul, when pushed to talk about himself, called it foolish.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I post my picture and full name to be real up front, but am cautious about sharing too much - I don't want to attract too many women. Lol So why is it a bad idea? Do you think the boogie man will come find me and get me? I trust God will keep me safe ... or take me home, whichever He chooses.
LOL, yeah this isn't a dating site :) Hmm. Well I guess it all depends on whether your worried about persecution or not. I have a facebook account and I don't want people to know I post here. I just prefer to remain anonymous. That way I feel free to post as the spirit guides me. But persecution is a real issue. From Christian persecution to disability discrimination. I take it seriously.

That said, I don't really want to be persecuted for something I say on a forum that I might not be inspired to say to people in person. I think the spirit directs us differently depending on the situation of online or in person.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, yeah this isn't a dating site :) Hmm. Well I guess it all depends on whether your worried about persecution or not. I have a facebook account and I don't want people to know I post here. I just prefer to remain anonymous. That way I feel free to post as the spirit guides me. But persecution is a real issue. From Christian persecution to disability discrimination. I take it seriously.

That said, I don't really want to be persecuted for something I say on a forum that I might not be inspired to say to people in person. I think the spirit directs us differently depending on the situation of online or in person.
Just joking, I am married. The Antichrist will persecute Christians one way or another. I suppose Muslim terrorists can comb this forum and say, Hay, there's one who was foolish enough to give his real name - lets get em! I guess I'll get to heaven sooner? Or maybe the I.R.S. will be paying me a visit soon? "There's one of those conservative Christians - get em!"

Reactions: dev553344