If You had a serious mental health issue, would you be open about it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be open about mental illness?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the creative spirit is of God, so at least part of technology was part of God's intent. The advancement in medicine is part of that, so I think it is both.....I pray for only good for you....sorry you have had it so rough. God bless.
Thank you, dear brother. I always appreciate your prayers.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you can't...but I don't feel the pain either. It's all my past internally bottled up and manifesting through physical disorders.
And yes, I know this will soon pass because the Holy Spirit has been bringing past traumas to my remembrance so that I can pray and forgive the person and let it go. I am doing much better....but I don't know if it's the meds or God...I prefer to think it is God healing me.
I've come to think that God IS healing us, but that healing can come very slowly, as He mends deep damage.

My sister was on anti-depressants for about 10 years, with very slow improvement. But then she started getting worse again. Her doctor told her that in some cases, if you stop actually needing the anti-depressants, they can make you depressed. So she stopped taking them, and discovered she didn't need them.

I'm avoiding anti-depressants, and sometimes that's pretty difficult, but I'm finding that over time I'm becoming better. But agonizingly slowly!!

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona Have you ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe? I found it encouraging with my illness. I'm not sure what people without illness would think of it though. But in the end it's based on a true story of a man that was a professor at a university that came down with a severe mental illness. So maybe the movie contributes a "yes" on the poll.

I think in his case, this scripture would apply: Matthew 23:12 "And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

"A Beautiful Mind, American biographical film, released in 2001, that told the story of American Nobel Prize winner John Nash, whose innovative work on game theory in mathematics was in many ways overshadowed by decades of mental illness."

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If You had a serious mental health issue, would you be open about it?
All of us....none excepted have a serious mental health issue. Our self focus is evidence of it. We are pitted against ourselves and others yet oblivious to it....even congratulating ourselves that we are not :)

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona Have you ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe? I found it encouraging with my illness. I'm not sure what people without illness would think of it though. But in the end it's based on a true story of a man that was a professor at a university that came down with a severe mental illness. So maybe the movie contributes a "yes" on the poll.

I think in his case, this scripture would apply: Matthew 23:12 "And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

"A Beautiful Mind, American biographical film, released in 2001, that told the story of American Nobel Prize winner John Nash, whose innovative work on game theory in mathematics was in many ways overshadowed by decades of mental illness."

Awesome movie.

Reactions: dev553344

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
5loaves2fishes.wixsite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I know people who are fine being open about their mental illness.

I have admitted to having one but I don't really like talking about the diagnosis, symptoms, or direct effects on my life.

I find that people have a hard time understanding, seek to overstep in their advice and speak in the place of God, or think and speak less of you.

My thoughts on it now are that people don't really deserve the ammunition to hurt you like that.

I just wish that wasn't the case. I feel like my full testimony is rather uplifting, even with harsher details.
I voted 'no' but I would prefer to say, 'it depends.' Some people are too ignorant of this subject. Ask God to show you people who are genuinely sensitive and empathetic. Confide in them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I voted 'no' but I would prefer to say, 'it depends.' Some people are too ignorant of this subject. Ask God to show you people who are genuinely sensitive and empathetic. Confide in them.
Whether or not such a problem is diagnosed, I do believe that prayer and the Scriptures can make a very great difference.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I voted yes and was shocked to see that im only the 2nd to vote yes while 8 voted no.
It depends how you interpret the question i guess.
Im only open to my family and close friends so to them i would be honest about it. I do what i can to avoid lying to them.
As for strangers im not so open to them, they don't need to know about my physical or mental health.
You don't need to proclaim to everyone that you have a mental illness if you don't want to.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I voted yes and was shocked to see that im only the 2nd to vote yes while 8 voted no.
It depends how you interpret the question i guess.
Im only open to my family and close friends so to them i would be honest about it. I do what i can to avoid lying to them.
As for strangers im not so open to them, they don't need to know about my physical or mental health.
You don't need to proclaim to everyone that you have a mental illness if you don't want to.
Similar here.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've seen this. I find it kind of painful at times to watch but not at all because it's a bad movie.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's important to remember what mental disability is. It's a dysfunctional brain. And Like a robot that dysfunctions it can behave inappropriately perhaps. And if they simply have an erroring brain, then should we be ashamed of them? And I don't think mentally ill people should be ashamed of themselves. And I don't think people should be ashamed of them either. And I find that a very important concept to accept when I deal with other mentally ill people, like my sister especially, who is very open about her illness. Treating someone with shame and attempting to silence them is a bleak attitude to have. I remember what God taught us about being ashamed, and perhaps that also applies to being ashamed of his people. And I think mentally ill people are God's children:

Luke 9:26

26 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And I don't think mentally ill people should be ashamed of themselves. And I don't think people should be ashamed of them either.
What about Joseph Biden? He should be ashamed of himself for what he said yesterday. And America should be ashamed of this mentally ill and mentally deficient bogus "president". He has used his office to incite hatred and violence against half of (or more than half) the population of the United States. This is purely demonic, and a great deal of so-called "mental illness" is demonic via demon possession.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about Joseph Biden? He should be ashamed of himself for what he said yesterday. And America should be ashamed of this mentally ill and mentally deficient bogus "president". He has used his office to incite hatred and violence against half of (or more than half) the population of the United States.

Controlling dictators choose their behaviors, it's not a mental illness.

This is purely demonic, and a great deal of so-called "mental illness" is demonic via demon possession.

Common misconception among some types of Christians. Some are too quick to say something is the devil and see the devil everywhere. But then some are to quick to jump to conclusions like conspiracy theories. Brain damage doesn't equate to demonic possession. And from what I have learned, most mental illness involves physical and therefore chemical problems in the brain. That is why medications work for mental illness.

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know people who are fine being open about their mental illness.

I have admitted to having one but I don't really like talking about the diagnosis, symptoms, or direct effects on my life.

I find that people have a hard time understanding, seek to overstep in their advice and speak in the place of God, or think and speak less of you.

My thoughts on it now are that people don't really deserve the ammunition to hurt you like that.

I just wish that wasn't the case. I feel like my full testimony is rather uplifting, even with harsher details.

Mental” illness...is Revealed...is Defined...two fold.

* Spiritually...the Carnal Mind “IS” naturally Against God..Rom 8:7
* Secularly....the Long List of medical Jargon, (names) of symptoms, (names) of diagnoses, (names) of treatments.
(Depression, Bi-polar, Anxiety, Panic, Schizophrenia, dementia, Alzheimer’s, autism, addiction, neurological, on and on....talking, shrink, drugs, restrain, shocking, confinement, etc. )

Men Do NOT “cure” the mind.
Men establish the “treatment”, by a battery of man made tests. Men thereafter “treat” symptoms, according to the “best guess per man made tests”.

While a man IS alive in his flesh...God does NOT “cure” the mind.
However God DOES “cure” the Thoughts of a “Converted” mans Heart.
* A Converted man, thereafter has the Power of God “IN” him to: MAKE his Carnal minds thoughts, “subservient” to his Hearts thoughts.

What does that mean?
...Does that FIX, CURE a Mental illness? FIX the reason for the Mental illness? (Historical abuse, failing nerve synapsis, etc.)
...Well ALL things ARE possible with God...(His Will of WHEN)
* Highly doubt it will make the person FORGET historical abuse, or instantly restore nerve synapsis, or its long list of failing body parts that lead to that failure....

* HOWEVER...Having a “new heart’s thoughts”....it does LAND ON...superseding RIGHT of a new Hearts thoughts OVER the corrupt Carnal Minds thoughts...
* MEANING...no matter the “diagnosed mental condition/illness”...
Right OVER Wrong can be distinguished and “chosen”, when one Thinks with their “new” Heart, Acts with the thoughts of their “new” Heart, is comforted with the thoughts of their “new” Heart...
OVER the wrong, negative, ill willed thoughts of their Carnal Mind.

* THAT is also “distinguished”, as “having a MIND “LIKE” Christ”.

* * Point Being...Sure men will have MENTAL ISSUES...It is a natural Reaction of men, TO: worry, stress, react to negative things...
* Corrupt world governors, Corrupt lying, thieving, cheating men, fear of famines, fear of weather destructions, fear of unstable job to pay obligations, fear for children’s safety mentally and physically, etc.
* Routinely men have fear...OF multiple “suspicions of unknowns that can occur at any moment”...Chaos & tribulations caused by men.
* And when “suspicions” are in the process of manifesting, the “fear” increases.
* And when an “individual” has a Plethora of fears manifesting...(kids, job, family, cheating, economy, blah, blah, blah...) the OVERLOAD...
IS Sending the MIND into a depressed, panic mode..that APPEARS hopeless.
* And IF that “OVERLOAD” continues, so also will the MIND continue in that SPIRAL down fall...

* And THAT ^ is where the Difference lays for a CONVERTED man...
“IF’’ he remembers and heeds...
Always a Friend IN Jesus...
Always the Comfort OF the Holy Spirit...
Always 24-7 With and IN the man in his time of fear, distress, worry..

Prob 3:
[25] Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.
Jer 42:
[11] Be not afraid of the king of Babylon, of whom ye are afraid; be not afraid of him, saith the LORD: for I am with you to save you, and to deliver you from his hand.
Luke 12:
[4] And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
1 Pet 5:
[7] Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

:My2c:

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and marks