If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move the mountain. Really?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 17:

20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:

If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed.—The hyperbolical form of our Lord’s words, repeated afterwards in Matthew 21:21, excluded from the thoughts of the disciples, as from our own, the possibility of a literal interpretation.
The disciples knew it was proverbial hyperbole.

The “grain of mustard seed” was, as in Matthew 13:31, the proverbial type of the infinitely little. To “remove mountains” was, as we see in 1 Corinthians 13:2 (this may, however, have been an echo of our Lord’s teaching), the proverbial type of overcoming difficulties that seemed insurmountable.
Gill mentions a few extrabiblical references to this proverb:

for verily I say unto you, if ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed; which was a very small seed, the least of all seeds, and is used very often proverbially by the Jews, to signify anything of a small quantity or weight (b), and is sometimes used of faith, as here; so speaking of the congregation of Edom, meaning the Christians, they (c) say,
"they have not, "faith as a grain of mustard seed".''
And it is used in like sense in other eastern nations; and by Mahomet in his Alcoran (d), who says,
"We will appoint just balances in the day of resurrection, neither shall any soul be injured at all, although the merit or guilt of an action be of the weight of "a grain of mustard seed".''
"A grain of mustard seed" is proverbial for smallness. The "moving mountain" hyperbole follows it.

You can move the mountain if you have faith as small as a mustard seed. Really?

No, not really, according to Ellicott.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There are no commentaries that are trust Worthy.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the OTHER passage of Scripture that mentions mustard seeds, the point of them is that they grow from the tiniest seed to the largest tree.

Can your faith do that?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Im not familiar with this person's concepts, and im thankful.

So.... according to their Theology, they are not a very good bible student......and i'll show you why, Reader.

The Bible is words.
Jesus is the WORD made flesh.
God SPOKE and Creation appeared.

See that reader?
Those 3 are eternally connected.

Now notice this one.. = "life and death, are IN... the power of the tongue"..

That means.. "be careful what you speak, as words carry power in the spirit realm, so be careful how you use them". (how you aim them).

So, the verse that the writer uses, he misuses,........ because he has no idea what He's talking about.

Notice..

He changes the verse, into "YOU can move mountains" and then says...."not really"
And he's right but he does not realize why he's wrong.

It like this..

Jesus actually said... if you have FAITH the size of a mustard seed, then you can SAY..to the Mountain... "MOVE".

Now see that?
The commentary writer does not see that, and that is why he said..>"YOU can move it"..

But Jesus THE Christ didnt say that YOU can......He said that If you have Faith, then you can SAY..... "move".

See that?

So, that is...."power of life and death".. = is WORDS.

That is "Jesus is the WORD"

That is "by the word of the Lord were the heavens made".

That is your prayer of FAITH... tapping into the One who can move that mountain for you, as that is what an answered prayer actually is, Reader.

Now, Reader, if you can begin to see the difference between the writers wrong verse quote and Jesus's correct statement, then God bless you to see more.

Here are 2 hints.....

Is Prayer something that you do, or something that you Say ?

Does God answer prayer because you prayed, or does God answer
Believing Prayer.. because you have faith to believe the words you spoke?

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 17:

"A grain of mustard seed" is proverbial for smallness. The "moving mountain" hyperbole follows it.

If you have the faith of Christ, who used it to calm the seas, to walk on water, to raise the dead, to heal the sick...

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 17:

I disagree with Ellicott.
It was truth disguised as hyperbole.
(Jesus loved doing things backwards or in ways we think of as wrong...this is a good example of this)
Jesus was telling his Apostles that they would be able to do impossible things one day. The "Helper"/Holy Spirit was going to empower them for the signs and wonders once they understood more things and what exactly God wants from them and us. Then, and only then can they do impossible tasks.

Today the church has gold and silver but we can't tell a lame man to rise and walk....which would be better?

However,
God has a planet full of people that He is concerned about. The Gospel has reached everywhere....but most have rejected the Good News. (Usually for a variety of good reasons...usually Because of the poor job the Messenger has done...missionaries are getting better but it's a slow process)

However in this instance it's a truth hidden as a hyperbole. The many miracles performed give restimony to the truth.
Even Paul performed many miracles....got beaten up for them too.

Edited to add.
The time of signs and wonders is over...but that doesn't necessarily mean that miracles don't continue to happen. They aren't made for public consumption...but they still happen.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you tried moving any mountains recently?

However, the word, "mountain" is used as a metaphor for "religion" and the mountain melts and vanishes from the sea of humanity.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move the mountain. Really?​

'Did God really say........'? Genesis 3:1

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The similarity of Jesus to a Zen master has often been noted, but Judaism also had and has its share of quirky teachers who said extreme things that were like a slap in the face to the listeners.

It's obviously hyperbole - mustard seeds don't have faith - but a commentary on the faith of His audience. A rational disciple wasn't thinking "Super - I'll be moving mountains next week!" He was thinking, "What??? I can't make a pebble move an inch. Do I have any faith at all???"

It was a challenge to the disciples to examine their own faith. It may have also been a commentary on the simplicity of faith. Whatever "faith" a mustard seed does have, it obviously isn't doing a lot of thinking or worrying - it's just growing.

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.“
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭17‬:‭14‬-‭21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
However, the word, "mountain" is used as a metaphor for "religion" and the mountain melts and vanishes from the sea of humanity.

Every "life crisis" is a Mountain that is in your life that needs to be removed.

God will remove them, if you have "faith the size of a grain of mustard seed"..

Why did Jesus choose ""seed""", instead of wagon wheel or a piece of bread?

Its because when you place a seed in the ground.... the seed is dead.

GOD brings it to LIFE and makes it Grow.

And that is what He does with your faith.......God takes that Seed that is your Word of Faith In Him,, and He manifest the Miracle that you need.

Real Faith, is words that are planted in the Spiritual Realm that manifest God's spiritual Power as : Miracle, Restoration, SOLUTION.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The similarity of Jesus to a Zen master has often been noted, but Judaism also had and has its share of quirky teachers who said extreme things that were like a slap in the face to the listeners.

It's obviously hyperbole - mustard seeds don't have faith - but a commentary on the faith of His audience. A rational disciple wasn't thinking "Super - I'll be moving mountains next week!" He was thinking, "What??? I can't make a pebble move an inch. Do I have any faith at all???"

It was a challenge to the disciples to examine their own faith. It may have also been a commentary on the simplicity of faith. Whatever "faith" a mustard seed does have, it obviously isn't doing a lot of thinking or worrying - it's just growing.
It's quiet clear then that a bag full of doctrines does not constitute faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelina

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Every "life crisis" is a Mountain that is in your life that needs to be removed.

God will remove them, if you have "faith the size of a grain of mustard seed"..

Why did Jesus choose ""seed""", instead of wagon wheel or a piece of bread?

Its because when you place a seed in the ground.... the seed is dead.

GOD brings it to LIFE and makes it Grow.

And that is what He does with your faith.......God takes that Seed that is your Word of Faith In Him,, and He manifest the Miracle that you need.

Real Faith, is words that are planted in the Spiritual Realm that manifest God's spiritual Power as : Miracle, Restoration, SOLUTION.

And you have used the word "mountain" as a metaphor for a "life crisis" which is fine.

The biggest "crisis" that we face in life is not having a relationship with God, the Father, and we turn away from Him and go to another "mountain" to worship other gods on that mountain.

Seems like you are saying the same thing to what I had said what the metaphor "mountain" meant. You have seen the "mountain" as a "life crisis" but that crisis is just another form of religion.