if you wish I (we) will make three tabernacles here

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.

Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here, if you wish I will make three tabernacles here,
One for You,
and one for Moses,
and one for Elijah”

while Peter was still speaking …did Peter receive an answer to his question on making three tabernacles: one for Christ, one for Moses, and one for Elijah? What was the reply to Matthew 17:4 (lexicon version) if thou will, let us make here three tabernacles…?

Reactions: Abigail

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello victoryinjesus,

Having done a study on this a few months ago, with Peter, James and John with Moses, Jesus, and Elijah. This study concluded that Jesus would be the fulfillment of the law of Moses, and that with Elijah there, signified also that Jesus was going to be the last and great prophet, who ever lived.

After seeing all of these things, a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the clouds that this was his Son in who the voice was well pleased.

The tabernacle was Christ in how he was the picture of sinless perfection, in how he was to fulfill all things.

I could be wrong, this just my observation.

If you have anything to share or add please feel free, in patience, kindness, love, peace, of Christ,

Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello victoryinjesus,

Having done a study on this a few months ago, with Peter, James and John with Moses, Jesus, and Elijah. This study concluded that Jesus would be the fulfillment of the law of Moses, and that with Elijah there, signified also that Jesus was going to be the last and great prophet, who ever lived.

After seeing all of these things, a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the clouds that this was his Son in who the voice was well pleased.

The tabernacle was Christ in how he was the picture of sinless perfection, in how he was to fulfill all things.

I could be wrong, this just my observation.

If you have anything to share or add please feel free, in patience, kindness, love, peace, of Christ,

Matthew Gallagher

Then was the answer yes or no (or maybe?)on building three tabernacles? What is your opinion there? Just now noticed it is also in
Matthew 17:3-5, Mark 9:5-8, and Luke 9:32-35. Why not John also, and does it matter?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello VIJ,

Did they build tabernacles? Doesn’t seem like it to me. They saw Moses and Elijah in the vision, they were having it seems with Jesus being in between them.

In love, of Christ
Matthew Gallagher

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello VIJ,

Did they build tabernacles? Doesn’t seem like it to me. They saw Moses and Elijah in the vision, they were having it seems with Jesus being in between them.

In love, of Christ
Matthew Gallagher

To make my question clearer…no I don’t think they built three tabernacles…that wasn’t the point. But it does cause me to consider why “one for You, Lord” and “one for Moses” and “one for Elijah”? Repeated in Matthew, Luke, opps not John but Mark instead. It causes me to ask how many tabernacles are said to be built and even the debate of which is the third and final tabernacle(is it the third?), or which tabernacle is being built now or which tabernacle is to be in the future. And it also causes me consider, unless I’m wrong, the voice spoke of…approving of…making it possibly simply “one for You, Lord” as the desired habitation of God?

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus,

I don’t know. @amadeus do you have any insights to share with our fellow brother?

In love, peace, mercy, kindness, faithfulness, of Christ,

Matthew Gallagher

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know. Seems he received sort of an answer when God spoke. I’ve wondered if they were terrified because of Elijah, thinking it must mean the terrible day of the Lord had just begun.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here, if you wish I will make three tabernacles here,
One for You,
and one for Moses,
and one for Elijah”

while Peter was still speaking …did Peter receive an answer to his question on making three tabernacles: one for Christ, one for Moses, and one for Elijah? What was the reply to Matthew 17:4 (lexicon version) if thou will, let us make here three tabernacles…?
Hello sister,

Was not the answer contained in words of the voice out of the cloud?

"While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." Matt 17:5

Was not the answer effectively: "Stop elevating Elijah and Moses [perhaps the greatest of OT known prophets (although Jesus elevates John the Baptist even higher? {Matt 11:11} )] to the level of Jesus, the very Word of God, my Son. Listen to and pay attention to Him. No type or shadow here, but the real thing!".

Heb 8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern showed to thee in the mount.
Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

As a separate but related study consider the seven tabernacles in scripture. I read a book about it, years ago. I cannot recall the title or the author, but I found a note in my computer with these references including page numbers:

Seven Tabernacles:

1) Wilderness p13: Exodus 25:8

2) David p47: II Sam 6:17, Amos 9:11

3) Solomon p83: I Chron 17:1, I Chron 22:7-10, I Chron 28:11-12

4) Ezekiel p137: Ezek 43:10-11

5) Zerubbabel p157: Zech 4:9, Ezra chapters 2,3 and 4

6) Head p160

7) Body p165

What good are page numbers without the book?

Apparently, I was doing a Bible study, was distracted and never finished it. I have myself interested so I may have to do some more looking...

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking the point of the James Earl Jones voice coming out of the cloud saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; listen to him" was, "Stop trying to put new wine into the old "Torah-and-the-prophets" wineskins. Something new is happening here."

As usual, I could be wrong.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What was the reply to Matthew 17:4 (lexicon version) if thou will, let us make here three tabernacles…?
The reply was to completely remove Moses and Elijah from the equation, and call on the apostles to focus solely on Christ. Of course, what was said about three tabernacles was probably because of shock and awe and confusion -- bewilderment. Sometimes people say things without thinking them through, especially when under stress or shock.

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One for You,
and one for Moses,
and one for Elijah”

I don't know. I don't recall anything in that chapter saying the tabernacles were constructed. Jesus said in that chapter that Elijah was John the Baptist. Maybe the tabernacle referred to is actually Jesus. He being the cornerstone, Mark 12. Maybe three tabernacles weren't necessary then as Peter suggested building.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One for You,
and one for Moses,
and one for Elijah”

Tabernacles are tents.

Peter was offering to set up three tents, per other versions:

Matthew 17:4

(KJV) Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.

(ASV) And Peter answered, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, I will make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.

(ESV) And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.”

(ISV) Then Peter told Jesus, "Lord, it's good that we're here! If you want, I'll set up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."

(YLT) And Peter answering said to Jesus, 'Sir, it is good to us to be here; if thou wilt, we may make here three booths—for thee one, and for Moses one, and one for Elijah.'

(GNB) So Peter spoke up and said to Jesus, "Lord, how good it is that we are here! If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."

(NET) So Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you want, I will make three shelters – one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”

Did you assume a tabernacle is a temple?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello sister,

Was not the answer contained in words of the voice out of the cloud?

"While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." Matt 17:5

Was not the answer effectively: "Stop elevating Elijah and Moses [perhaps the greatest of OT known prophets (although Jesus elevates John the Baptist even higher? {Matt 11:11} )] to the level of Jesus, the very Word of God, my Son. Listen to and pay attention to Him. No type or shadow here, but the real thing!".

Heb 8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern showed to thee in the mount.
Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

As a separate but related study consider the seven tabernacles in scripture. I read a book about it, years ago. I cannot recall the title or the author, but I found a note in my computer with these references including page numbers:

Seven Tabernacles:

1) Wilderness p13: Exodus 25:8

2) David p47: II Sam 6:17, Amos 3:11

3) Solomon p83: I Chron 17:1, I Chron 22:7-10, I Chron 28:11-12

4) Ezekiel p137: Ezek 43:10-11

5) Zerubbabel p157: Zech 4, Ezra 2:3-4

6) Head p160

7) Body p165

What good are page numbers without the book?

Apparently, I was doing a Bible study, was distracted and never finished it. I have myself interested so I may have to do some more looking...

Thank you. Looking up each and reading the references. One question I have is where does seven tabernacles come from? I ask because I had no idea there were seven …when I looked up some of the references I see “seven days” and tabernacle…can you help with where seven tabernacles comes from?

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you assume a tabernacle is a temple?

yes, I did assume a tabernacle is a tent for example …the tent of the body mentioned as taking off the temporarily roaming for a more permanent anchored in (Christ)structure?

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One for You,
and one for Moses,
and one for Elijah”

In the last verse of Chap 16 Vicky, Jesus told all of them that they would not die before they seen him coming into his Kingdom, that was actually the fulfillment of that, 6 days later. Keep in mind it was a vision, and not literal, but was intended to be faith strengthening to them, and even to Jesus himself so that he could endure what was coming. Interestingly this is another account where God's voice was heard from heaven.
Not sure that most understand what a tabernacle in this instance is maam, the NWT renders it tents to help in understanding:
skhnhv Skene (skay-nay');
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 4633

1. tent, tabernacle, (made of green boughs, or skins or other materials)
  2. of that well known movable temple of God after the pattern of which the temple at Jerusalem was built
KJV Word Usage and Count
tabernacle 19
habitation 1

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know. Seems he received sort of an answer when God spoke. I’ve wondered if they were terrified because of Elijah, thinking it must mean the terrible day of the Lord had just begun.

considering this morning and could be wrong that maybe Peter’s questions of do you want us to make three tabernacles spoke of: do you want division? maybe let us make one tabernacle “for you Lord” makes it not necessary to make a tabernacle for Moses and a tabernacle for Elijah because they Are included in the prophets as the foundation of that one tabernacle built up ‘that growth’ in Christ with Christ as the chief corner stone. Moses and Elijah being called into fellowship with Christ as seen on the mountain? Peter’s question of do you want us to make three tabernacles makes me think of ‘there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? 1 Corinthians 1:9-13

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the last verse of Chap 16 Vicky, Jesus told all of them that they would not die before they seen him coming into his Kingdom, that was actually the fulfillment of that, 6 days later. Keep in mind it was a vision, and not literal, but was intended to be faith strengthening to them, and even to Jesus himself so that he could endure what was coming. Interestingly this is another account where God's voice was heard from heaven.
Not sure that most understand what a tabernacle in this instance is maam, the NWT renders it tents to help in understanding:
skhnhv Skene (skay-nay');
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 4633

1. tent, tabernacle, (made of green boughs, or skins or other materials)
  2. of that well known movable temple of God after the pattern of which the temple at Jerusalem was built
KJV Word Usage and Count
tabernacle 19
habitation 1

I’m behind this morning and about to have to leave for work. I’ll read this closer this evening. Thank you ❤️

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This made me think of Abraham.
When the Angels appeared to him, and were on their way to Sodom.
Abraham detained them by offering a meal and water and rest.
The Lord remained with Abraham while the other two went on to Sodom to see if it was as bad as the people claimed.
Hugs

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One for You,
and one for Moses,
and one for Elijah”

Peter was thinking with jewish mindset. He saw the Lord glorified . He was expecting the messianic Kingdom and when He saw the Lord glorified, He assumed the kingdom may have arrived! In the kingdom the feast of tabernacles will be fulfilled so Peter may have wanted to build the taberncales for this very Jewish line of thinking. His timing was wrong however for he forgot that Passover must first occur before tabernacles.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Looking up each and reading the references. One question I have is where does seven tabernacles come from? I ask because I had no idea there were seven …when I looked up some of the references I see “seven days” and tabernacle…can you help with where seven tabernacles comes from?
Wow, I just went back and looked. In 2013 I copied a handwritten note of mine. It was small and my handwriting poor, so I misread it. I now magnified it to find that instead of Amos 3:11 it should have shown Amos 9:11. The Ezra reference should be chapters 2,3 and 4 rather than Ezra 2:3-4. I have corrected them. I scanned it into my computer in 2013, but that it was handwritten means I likely wrote it down in the 1990's before I had a computer of my own. I simply was interrupted in making my notes and never got back to it.

Hopefully the correct scriptures will clarify the first 5 tabernacles, but for the last two I have nothing else written down. I owned the book I was making notes from but apparently in one of my residential moves, the book got lost. I cannot remember the title or the author.

I remember the reference in particular about David because it had never really stuck with me reading the Bible previously that he had erected a tent for the Ark of the Covenant.

Though David had wanted to build a physical house, a temple, God would not permit it. It was left for Solomon to do.

The Head, tabernacle number 6 would be Jesus.

Consider this:

"For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." Col 2:9

In Jesus was a better temple, the 6th one, than any previous five, but the 7th, the Body of Christ, was yet to be prepared and completed. May we not to be part of it?

What do each of these seven tents or tabernacles or bodies hold? Consider the message God sent by His prophet to David here:

"Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?
Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle.
In all the places wherein I have walked with all the children of Israel spake I a word with any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to feed my people Israel, saying, Why build ye not me an house of cedar?" II Sam 7:5-7

But then with regard to the 7th temple, each part, that is you and I and the others, must be a proper dwelling for God before we can be a real part of the Body of Christ with Jesus as the Head. Jesus is ready to take His place as the Head of the 7th, but when will we be ready? Is the work in progress?

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" Eph 4:11-14

"That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." Eph 5:27

"For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones." Eph 5:27