If your Christian brother fails, is he not still a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean, say, a co-worker, fellow church goer steals office supplies...maybe lusts after a secretary...
Calls in sick to go fishing....
Is he not still a Christian?
Just a weak one that repeats mistakes over and over....still learning and making his way?
Stumbling doesn't seem to make a person not a Christian...to me, anyway.
You?

Reactions: Nancy

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
according to scripture you can tell who is a christian by their fruit. some new christians may of been thieves before and habits are hard to break without supernatural intervention. but watch their lives. God could be working with them in one area and has not worried about the thievery part yet. now if he has been christian for 10+ years and still stealing there is something wrong. i would doubt if that person is saved.

God bless

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I mean, say, a co-worker, fellow church goer steals office supplies...maybe lusts after a secretary...
Calls in sick to go fishing....
Is he not still a Christian?
Just a weak one that repeats mistakes over and over....still learning and making his way?
Stumbling doesn't seem to make a person not a Christian...to me, anyway.
You?

Yep.
I do not believe he loses his salvation but I believe he loses all spiritual rewards. But that is just how I believe, other may well believe differently.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay..in backing what I said with scripture.
In 1 Cor We see Paul addressing The church in a letter...he greets them all as christians ..then in Chap 3 he is speak not so glowingly to them..
"3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ."
Then by chap 5 he says:-
" It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife..." hmmm

Then as we continue reading he says- " throw the guy out.."

Yet we see in his second letter to them...2 Cor 2 after his initial greeting.. Paul speaks much softer .. saying..." For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you...
6 "Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
.... To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
"

Punished and reproved yes...condemned to hell NO!
( this is why I cannot believe the teaching that God sends everyone who doesn't toe the line, to hell forever.)