I'm a troubled soul.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the various wise responses, but my troubles have suddenly paled into insignificance with the news (since my OP) that my wife's cancer has become so widespread that all that can now be offered is 'palliative care'.

Oh Mike...I'm sorry to hear this. They can offer her palliative care (which is wonderful here, and hopefully so un the UK as well) but, we know what God will offer her and of course, that makes everything pale in comparison.
God bless and comfort you and your wife and your family.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Aw Mike, I'm sorry you are so troubled...we all should be a little bit troubled at least! Even with 100% inerrantcy in every single word written, humans would still screw it all up and come up with a million different meanings of the same word.
But then I think, would God allow the errant words or verses to trick those who truly love Him and are studying diligently? We (Christians) seem no more united than the unsaved and, I really don't see it changing, at least on this earth, ha!
Nancy, the English language is not monolithic and understood differently by many.

I find different versions of the Bible helpful in my discussions. When talking to theologians, I use the NASB, the gold standard, but when dealing with those less knowledgeable, I often quote from the NIV or even The Living Bible.

Different versions provide us with useful options for dealing with a wide range of audiences.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy, the English language is not monolithic and understood differently by many.

I find different versions of the Bible helpful in my discussions. When talking to theologians, I use the NASB, the gold standard, but when dealing with those less knowledgeable, I often quote from the NIV or even The Living Bible.

Different versions provide us with useful options for dealing with a wide range of audiences.

Oh yes Stan, I agree! I also use the NASB, and the NIV along with the KJV. I need to do that as well as searching online for lexicons and commentaries. :)

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Gradually I have become less inclined to contribute to forums because of the irreconcilability of “This is what God has said, and this is what he means by it” versus “No, what he has really said is this, and this is what he actually means by it”.
To most readers this conflict must surely be regarded as being inevitable, sad, laughable, or even pathetic. To me it all pivots around the degree of one’s dependence on ‘plenary verbal inspiration’.

It seems to me that mankind has a propendency to afford documentary credibility that increases exponentially to the age and mysticism the source. The discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls is one such example and Joseph Smith’s claim to have discovered the Book of Mormon buried deep amongst the roots of an old pine tree is another, albeit less widely acclaimed, example.

“The Law and the Prophets” is the oldest of Christian documentation, through to the writers of present day hymns and sermons (you might even add yourself to the latest list). But along that line of writings verbal inspiration is accorded gradually reducing inerrancy, until you get to the likes of you and I, some of whom might well be considered to be 100% lacking in inerrancy.
The post Reformation denominational explosion is one enormous seed bed of conflicting degrees of inerrancy. If one out of 100 Reformers was totally innerrant then 99 were at least partially errant, and more likely so too were all 100.

So, to those of you who present what you believe on the basis of its plenary verbal inerrancy I challenge you to document just what it is that you consider to be that basis. You might say that it is the ‘Bible’. but how can 100 different English versions each be totally verbally inerrant?….that would be an utter contradiction of terms.
There are those who claim to be of the ‘KJV only’ persuasion, but do they not not know that the ‘V’ stands for ‘Version’, and do they not know the meaning of that word?

Beam me up Scottie….I want to get off the bus.
It was not like this when I was on here a few years ago. I notice my old friends are gone, and firmly believe the forums, not just this one, have been invaded by various false cults, all claiming to be Christians, but in reality, either wanting to convert people to their way of thinking, or simply to belittle Christianity. They will never tread the Christian path, and to be honest we would be better without them. My opinion only.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes Stan, I agree! I also use the NASB, and the NIV along with the KJV. I need to do that as well as searching online for lexicons and commentaries. :)
Do you use esword on your computer Nancy? I find it excellent, the commentaries as well, and it is free.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Glad to see decent Christian people speaking up on this thread.
I have not been much on the forum the last couple of months because I could not find much uplifting here.
Mike, I will mention you and your family in my prayers.

(I lost my wife two years ago in a terrible car accident. We were married almost 50 years.
I am thankful God put me in contact with a spirit filled Chritian lady... I married her a short time ago. )

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mike Waters , our grasp of the Bible is always going to be transient, at best, on this side of eternity. The Holy Spirit promises to keep refining what we think we know, now, until we get to 1 John 3:2.

I am certain that He gives us enough truth to continue to mold us into the image of Jesus, though.

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly,
but then face to face.​
Now I know in part,
but then I shall know just as I also am known." 1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV​

To further complicate things, we have Tares in our midst whose only goal is to undermine the Kingdom of God and it isn't always clear who's who.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you use esword on your computer Nancy? I find it excellent, the commentaries as well, and it is free.

No I have not @Cooper . Seems it is all in KJV? Which is fine as I have my other bible versions here for clarity. Thank you!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No I have not @Cooper . Seems it is all in KJV? Which is fine as I have my other bible versions here for clarity. Thank you!
It was you saying about the KJV that made me ask. The KJV comes ready loaded, then there are lots of other translations. I have 15 others including ASV, ISV, GNB, ESV, MKJV, NRSV, I could go on, that can be downloaded for free. The latest translations like the TLB it is lovely, but that has to be paid for, and of course there are the commentaries by such worthies as Mathew Henry, Adam Clarke and many other, all sound men. Just thought I would say. Sorry.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was you saying about the KJV that made me ask. The KJV comes ready loaded, then there are lots of other translations. I have 15 others including ASV, ISV, GNB, ESV, MKJV, NRSV, I could go on, that can be downloaded for free. The latest translations like the TLB it is lovely, but that has to be paid for, and of course there are the commentaries by such worthies as Mathew Henry, Adam Clarke and many other, all sound men. Just thought I would say. Sorry.

Oh NOOO...no need to be sorry,lol...I just downloaded the site and it looks as though I will love it! And, yes...I see the ones where you have to pay, like the Barean Bible study and the others but, there is enough on the free one to keep me busy for, like ever!
Thank you again :)
Nancy

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The post Reformation denominational explosion is one enormous seed bed of conflicting degrees of inerrancy. If one out of 100 Reformers was totally innerrant then 99 were at least partially errant, and more likely so too were all 100.
From just this little blurb, are you thinking any part or some part of the world religion in rome is somehow acceptable ?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The word 'inerrant' properly refers to the originals of Scripture; other usages of the word would tend to move away from what the term really refers to.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh NOOO...no need to be sorry,lol...I just downloaded the site and it looks as though I will love it! And, yes...I see the ones where you have to pay, like the Barean Bible study and the others but, there is enough on the free one to keep me busy for, like ever! ...
sidenote: footnote: not to derail thread more than 3 posts or less: >>> perhaps if there was a speed-reading course available, the time needed to read them all (on the free one) could be reduced to a little under 892 years ? (vs 'keep busy like ever' )

:}

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sidenote: footnote: not to derail thread more than 3 posts or less: >>> perhaps if there was a speed-reading course available, the time needed to read them all (on the free one) could be reduced to a little under 892 years ? (vs 'keep busy like ever' )

:}

Hahaha!

Reactions: Joseph77

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
….I want to get off the bus.

Odd. You apparently don't believe the Scriptures, and don't trust mankind, and yet you post in a Christian Forum as though you're seeking an answer.

And where MOST in this Forum have LOTS of BLATHER but FEW ANSWERS, -- the true answers are so apparent, it would appear you have LOTS OF COMPANY in ignorance/denial/religiosity.

Thus I'd refer you to the old saying: Ignorance can be cured, but stupidity is forever. -- And you need more than boredom, you need to be legitimately seeking. But as previously suggested, very few seek and even fewer find, -- yet some finders discover unfathomable depths.

The depths await you ...
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Glad to see decent Christian people speaking up on this thread.
I have not been much on the forum the last couple of months because I could not find much uplifting here.
Mike, I will mention you and your family in my prayers.

(I lost my wife two years ago in a terrible car accident. We were married almost 50 years.
I am thankful God put me in contact with a spirit filled Chritian lady... I married her a short time ago. )
hey hey!

Reactions: Helen

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gradually I have become less inclined to contribute to forums because of......
. (many other posters have also noted that they leave because of.... various reasons)
To further complicate things, we have Tares in our midst whose only goal is to undermine the Kingdom of God and it isn't always clear who's who.

In the first century, there were "already many antichrists among us" in the meetings or around them.

Perhaps the bringers of false gospels increase so much more than truth speakers because they (false gospels) are fertilized so much more ? (I don't know)

Thus, depression and anxiety, little help for the sick, instead of joy and peace and righteousness and healing ?

Jesus is the Faithful Shepherd though, always. - He Always leads His Sheep Faithfully, nurturing them/us/ , and guiding us, shepherding us to green pastures and still waters, as Scripture Says.

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Odd. You apparently don't believe the Scriptures, and don't trust mankind, and yet you post in a Christian Forum as though you're seeking an answer.

And where MOST in this Forum have LOTS of BLATHER but FEW ANSWERS, -- the true answers are so apparent, it would appear you have LOTS OF COMPANY in ignorance/denial/religiosity.

Thus I'd refer you to the old saying: Ignorance can be cured, but stupidity is forever. -- And you need more than boredom, you need to be legitimately seeking. But as previously suggested, very few seek and even fewer find, -- yet some finders discover unfathomable depths.

The depths await you ...
Bobby Jo

Sorry Bobby but, I would take a gander here and say that @Mike Waters has been walking with the Lord and living in trust and faith in The Lord probably before you were even born! Are we not human and fall short or get weary in well doing at times? Especially considering what the man is going through right now!
Where is your compassion or, is it always going to be criticism with you?