I'm looking for a Christian Forum

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
quantity over gaulity has destoryed many churches too
"Megachurch".
There's a Texas pastor who bought an old sports arena and converted it into a church.
The tythe's they bring in,the offerings tallied, on any given Sunday are over $1 million.
He's a second generation pastor but for the life of me I don't see how anyone buys that.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those pesky sinners.... I'm so glad I'm not one of them!
If only they wouldn't employ the tactics I employ myself we would all get on. We could have a little club of real, bone-fide, genuine, holier than thou, flawless theology exponents who never judge, second guess, repeat worn out platitudes and genuinely feel they have a direct line to the unfathomable well of wisdom.:running:

Reactions: Wrangler

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If forums banned Trolls, it would relieve a lot of the evil and darkness that thrives in bring evil and darkness to Christians gathering together online.

There are alsoTrolls who have more than one account. They sound alike and support "each other" in their postings. There has to be a way to identify those people.

I was a member of a Christian forum years ago where a Moderator had a regular secondary account he used to harass female members by PM.
The hook that brought his attention to those women members was dream interpretation threads. That common denominator is what led the Administration to investigate complaints from those women.
He,who claimed to be married ,was banned.

Hate filled people will offend as long as they are allowed.
I can agree with the frustration of marks and other believers in constantly wading through the deniers, rejecters of the word as written, the followers of men's doctrines, the cults and yes even the demon invested that appear and check the box marked "Christian".

My thought is ppl need to start reporting per the rules those whom break them. Saw a despicable (to me ) member yesterday call a catholic member an "Idiot".( Sure that's a no-no)

Bearing forth the fruit of a believer is to love God, love your neighbor and love one another, then to bring others to God with the gospel.
Allowing the Holy Spirit to bear his fruit in our lives is seperate and based on our yielding to him and following his leading, " and our status of being " IN CHRIST".

Most words are empty of life if it's engaging in ad hominems, lies, corruption of the word, and babbling. Cults and denom identifications are easy to see in post, for ppl cannot help but spit out the ingrained rhetoric.

We do not truly know another's heart but their words sometimes reveal the treasures of their hearts !

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Public Forums have no guarantee of being exclusive to Like Heartful beliefs.

As a side note, you are an asset to this forum yet, I can relate to your implication of somewhat frustration. Just remember there are many many more OF the world, and only God has the solution He will one day reveal.

God Bless you,
Taken
To me it's like the difference between a Mars Hill Experience, and a Christian Fellowship experience. I'm interested in the Christian Fellowship aspect primarily.

God's solution is being revealed daily, I think, as He is shaping us all, and that we would hopefully be daily walking an higher path.

God bless you too Taken!

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found this word online definitions from different sources.

More commonly, metacommunication is defined as nonverbal signals that modify the meaning of verbal expressions, for example to convey sincerity or sarcasm, or.....
Metacommunication - Wiley Online Library
John Wiley

Psychologists define metacommunication as the sum of your verbal and non- verbal communication.

Communication Skills: How's Your Metacommunication? - Carol Roth
I first learned about metacommunication in the early 90's. My wife and I, along with another couple we were friends with, took a series of sessions to train us in Reflective Listening, and our teacher, Peg, used the word in it's other use, talking about how we communicate. That is the purpose of Reflective Listening, to fine tune our communication by examining how we communicate. "MetaTalk" is another word for it.

In Reflective Listening, one repeats back in their own words what they've heard to the speaker. The speaker either affirms their correct understanding, or gives a correction. The listener then again says in their own words the speaker's message. This continues until the speaker affirms a correct understanding.

During this process, the listen gives no response, no reply, feedback, nothing except repeating the speaker's message in their own words.

Once a correct understand is established, the listen gives their reply, and is the speaker, and the one who was the speaker is the listener.

"Feelings" words are encouraged where appropriate. "You're just pushing my buttons", compared to, "I'm triggered by this, and have a hard time controlling myself". Self-ownership is also important for effective communication, and good interpersonal relationships.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/metacommunication

“metacommunication”​

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
I copied the below from the first page of search results.

I'm using the word in the way of #5 below,

"Psychology Definition of METACOMMUNICATION: describes the communication entailing the dynamics of the process of communication itself. Talking, about talking."

1. https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Meta-communication

Meta-communication - Wikipedia

Meta-communication is a secondary communication (including indirect cues) about how a piece of information is meant to be interpreted. It is based on the idea that the same message accompanied by different meta-communication can mean something entirely different, including its opposite, as in irony. [1]
  2. https://psychologydictionary.org › metacommunication

What is METACOMMUNICATION? definition of ... - Psychology Dictionary

Psychology Definition of METACOMMUNICATION: describes the communication entailing the dynamics of the process of communication itself. Talking, about talking.
  3. https://dictionary.apa.org › metacommunication

APA Dictionary of Psychology

metacommunication Updated on 04/19/2018 n. auxiliary or covert messages, usually conveyed in the form of subtle gestures, movements, and facial expressions, about the procedural aspects or the dynamics (rather than the actual content) of communication between two or more parties.
  4. https://www.yourdictionary.com › metacommunication

Metacommunication Definition & Meaning | YourDictionary

Metacommunication definition: <a>Communication</a> that indicates how <a>verbal</a> information should be <a>interpreted</a>; <a>stimuli</a> surrounding the verbal communication that also have meaning, which may or may not be <a>congruent</a> with that of or support the verbal talk.
  5. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com › doi › full › 10.1002 › 9781118766804.wbiect232

Metacommunication - Craig - Major Reference Works - Wiley Online Library

Jurgen Ruesch and Gregory Bateson, who introduced the term, described metacommunication as a "new order" of communication that arose in the evolution of mammals and explains some distinctively complex, creative, and deeply paradoxical qualities of social interaction.
  6. https://link.springer.com › chapter › 10.1007 › 978-3-662-64437-9_2

Verbal and Non-verbal Communication | SpringerLink

Jan 4, 2022Watzlawick et al. or Schulz von Thun use the term metacommunication in this context. Definition. Metacommunication is a conceptual system and framework to communicate about communication (Schulz von Thun, 2013, pp. 101-106; Watzlawick et al., 1968, p. 40). Each of the communication models presented below has its justification.
  7. https://www.igi-global.com › dictionary › form-function-metacommunication-cmc › 18428

What is Metacommunication | IGI Global

What is Metacommunication? Definition of Metacommunication: Form of speech that conveys information about the ongoing conversation, exchange, or interaction rather than contributing to the content of that particular conversation. Metacommunicative behavior can be regarded in many respects as a direct expression of the norms of a community.
  8. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com › doi › pdf › 10.1002 › 9781118766804.wbiect232

Metacommunication - Wiley Online Library

Jurgen Ruesch and Gregory Bateson introduced the term metacommunication, defined as "communication about communication," in their 1951 book Communication: The Social Matrix of Psychiatry (Ruesch & Bateson, 1951/1968).
  9. Searches related to define metacommunication
    1. 3 types of metacommunication
    2. when two people metacommunicate they
    3. examples of meta communication
    4. meta messages in interpersonal communication
    5. what is meta communication
    6. metamessages examples
    7. metacommunication is best defined as
    8. meta style of communication

1. Meta-communication​

Meta-communication is a secondary communication about how a piece of information is meant to be interpreted. It is based on the idea that the same message accompanied by different meta-communication can mean something entirely different, including its opposite, as in irony. Wikipedia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those pesky sinners.... I'm so glad I'm not one of them!
If only they wouldn't employ the tactics I employ myself we would all get on. We could have a little club of real, bone-fide, genuine, holier than thou, flawless theology exponents who never judge, second guess, repeat worn out platitudes and genuinely feel they have a direct line to the unfathomable well of wisdom.:running:
I'm trying to find something of value in this post, can you help me?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I though this was well stated regarding metacommunication:

A unique challenge of communication is that you have to communicate about communication to get better at communication.

Think about that for a second.

It’s communication all the way down. Inescapable.

Communication is a process that’s ongoing, everywhere, all around us. It’s not a straight line from A to B as I’ve mentioned a few times. But that’s another story.

Communicating about communication is called “metacommunication” and it’s essential to having better interactions. Metacommunication sounds quite theoretical, and it is. But while metacommunication can feel powerfully blackhole-ish, the idea is ultimately practical.

In practice, in conversation, metacommunication takes many forms. It can be instantaneous nonverbal feedback. It can be passing comments that give a glimpse of a reaction. It can also be a dedicated conversation that boils down to attempting to talk to the person across from you about how communication goes — about how you communicate, together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I first learned about metacommunication in the early 90's. My wife and I, along with another couple we were friends with, took a series of sessions to train us in Reflective Listening, and our teacher, Peg, used the word in it's other use, talking about how we communicate.
Another example of a destruction of a concept. The adjective "meta" does not alter what communication involves. If you want to emphasize nonverbal communication just say so. What's the difference between communication with how we communicate? Implied is "meta" is a different how than how one communicates.

Such fuzziness explains why it is not a word (in merriam-webster's dictionary). Gnosticism comes to mind.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another example of a destruction of a concept. The adjective "meta" does not alter what communication involves. If you want to emphasize nonverbal communication just say so. What's the difference between communication with how we communicate? Implied is "meta" is a different how than how one communicates.

Such fuzziness explains why it is not a word (in merriam-webster's dictionary). Gnosticism comes to mind.
You really should read up on this before you just keep knocking me over it. Obviously you don't know about it, and the information is out there.

But on the other hand, you sure are providing an interesting dynamic to this thread!

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps your own comments affect the way others respond to you?

Communicating about communication is called “metacommunication”
Metacommunicating with you is exhausting!

Communicating with you is exhausting.

I've learned many decades ago that whenever people complain (perhaps) about HOW you are communicating, they actually don't like WHAT you are communicating but have no argument against it. Evidence is you never hear anyone complain about HOW they were complimented. ;)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's the difference between communication with how we communicate?
The topic.

Talking about how we talk, metacommunication, is talking about our methods and styles of communication. Whether they are effective or ineffective, and how to make them more effective.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've learned many decades ago that whenever people complain (perhaps) about HOW you are communicating, they actually don't like WHAT you are communicating but have no argument against it.
I'm sure that happens. People have many ways of avoiding what they don't like. Or what they think they don't like, but don't actually know about.

It's worth learning.

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really should read up on this before you just keep knocking me over it.
It's so funny how you are able to dish it out but cannot take it.

I did read up on this AND I provided an authoritative reference to prove my point. You are in denial about why this anti-concept is not in authoritative references like Merriam-Websters.

Everyone thinks they are justified when no one is justified.

If you want an echo chamber @marks, go into a room or forum by yourself. Much love, you say? Hmmm. The OP is no love but judgement.

See that? I gave you a suggestion just like you gave me a suggestion. Several people are giving you feedback that your "meta" communication sensibilites are not mature enough to process, self-ownership was how you put it. See quietthinker's post #42.

But on the other hand, you sure are providing an interesting dynamic to this thread!
Ditto. You sure are providing an interesting dynamic to this thread! You start off offending everyone then get all offended as if no one has mastered "meta" communication but you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are in denial about why this anti-concept is not in authoritative references like Merriam-Websters.
What I actually am is aware of your ignorance on this topic. If you want to learn about it and come back and discuss it, great, otherwise, I don't think this is going anywhere.

Much love!

Status
Not open for further replies.