In-depth Bible Study on Eternal Punishment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has been said that everyone has eternal life...somewhere.

I disagree with that statement.

Some have eternal death...conscious separation from the Lord.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has been said that everyone has eternal life...somewhere.

I disagree with that statement.

Some have eternal death...conscious separation from the Lord.

But then it’s eternal life. Not a good eternal life but nevertheless, eternal life rather than a second death. But I notice you don’t use verses…you keep saying death is really eternal life/a forever existence, but you don’t use verses to show it.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s interesting the confusion of the topic of death for some people.

It would be good thing to study, hell/Sheol was a covering place for the dead. It has two compartments, a Paradise part and a Prison part.

Interestingly enough, those contents where dumped out, all the souls/spirits.

Then they were judged accordingly. Revelation 20:13

Though some people do believe that the soul is annihilated but scripture doesn’t never say that nor is that Gods personal will.

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The second death is from what I consider a death that involves the self in realization for the need for the Lord.

Philippians 2:
“Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:9-11‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Most believe this will occur on judgment day, but it all depends on how long the second death may last until a individual decide to accept the truth in Christ.

Jesus has the keys to this, which this fire in the first place is from God and in front of the Lamb and his angels Revelation 14:13 I think.

“he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭14:10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So the soul goes on ward, and given a resurrected body, and I believe believers when they die they are judged immediately, and are translated into the kingdom.

Unbelievers, the same way but it may take them a little longer to realize their need for the Lord, but scripture says all knees will bow and confess.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said in 5:29

“and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:29‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So no one can say that believers and unbelievers are not going to be resurrected.

You can believe however you want though on the subject, just sharing what is know the be true in my best estimation but I could be wrong, it’s not a hill to die on. But we will die one day.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well at least if you make any error you make it in the direction of a more merciful God and not a less merciful God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also here is scripture that pertains to Jesus having the keys to death and hades.

The question is do you believe this includes the second death?

KJ21
I am He that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen, and have the keys of hell and of death.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God would want it to be this way (I believe) stunnedbygrace so may his will be done over the constructions of what man can make.

Augustine was the first one to really start implanting this in the mind of many people in his day of literal fires of flame burning people.

For based upon his interpretation of various New Testament texts, Augustine insisted that hell is a literal lake of fire in which the damned will experience the horror of everlasting torment; they will experience, that is, the unbearable physical pain of literally being burned forever.Apr 23, 2013
upload_2022-7-21_7-3-46.png
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy › entries
Heaven and Hell in Christian Thought (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God would want it to be this way (I believe) stunnedbygrace so may his will be done over the constructions of what man can make.

Augustine was the first one to really start implanting this in the mind of many people in his day of literal fires of flame burning people.

For based upon his interpretation of various New Testament texts, Augustine insisted that hell is a literal lake of fire in which the damned will experience the horror of everlasting torment; they will experience, that is, the unbearable physical pain of literally being burned forever.Apr 23, 2013
View attachment 24508
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy › entries
Heaven and Hell in Christian Thought (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

well, if hell were the lake of fire, it wouldn’t need to be thrown INTO the lake of fire in the end, so he has a big inconsistency there. (As we all probably have inconsistencies we haven’t seen yet.)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But to me, the biggest and most glaring inconsistency is to believe there is only one way to eternal life but to also believe we were born with eternal life already in us.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well God did give us life when we first took our breath coming out the womb. We didn’t ask for it, he gave it.

I don’t understand people who misquote Genesis 2:7 that breath of life is what allowed us to become a living being and God gave it freely just as freely as he gave his son to redeem the entire world back to himself for the payment of sin.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now it is a total choice since all of mankind has be reconciled back to the Father.

Will a person choose to look and serve God, or not.

It’s a two-way street, and in this life we can either build up on the flesh or build up on the spirit, as we walk and traverse this life. Loving God or not, loving others or not.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 5:19

that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only but one unforgivable sin in this age and the one to come that is denying the truth of the Lord Yeshua, and people in this life can reject him for however long they want, however When they accept him they are born again from above and have age-during life. Eternal is a much stronger word than age-during, however age-during is the proper term not enteral.

Just like age-during punishment for the unforgivable sin, but it only last an age until the person by their own free will submits to the truth of the Lord, and the punishment is for the betterment of the individual.

This does exclude the devil, the false prophet and the beast they were done away with forever.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only but one unforgivable sin in this age and the one to come that is denying the truth of the Lord Yeshua,

Actually, the one unforgivable sin is speaking against the Holy Spirit, not Jesus. I know, it’s a bit shocking.

31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the one unforgivable sin is speaking against the Holy Spirit, not Jesus. I know, it’s a bit shocking.

31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Your right I was just think of the Jews who said he was of the devil. Which probably the next verse in that scripture you shared.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right I was just think of the Jews who said he was of the devil. Which probably the next verse in that scripture you shared.

Actually, yes, but that comes before the verse I gave.

22 Then a demon-possessed man, who was blind and couldn’t speak, was brought to Jesus. He healed the man so that he could both speak and see. 23 The crowd was amazed and asked, “Could it be that Jesus is the Son of David, the Messiah?”

24 But when the Pharisees heard about the miracle, they said, “No wonder he can cast out demons. He gets his power from Satan,the prince of demons.”

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and replied, “Any kingdom divided by civil war is doomed. A town or family splintered by feuding will fall apart. 26 And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is divided and fighting against himself. His own kingdom will not survive. 27 And if I am empowered by Satan, what about your own exorcists? They cast out demons, too, so they will condemn you for what you have said. 28 But if I am casting out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has arrived among you. 29 For who is powerful enough to enter the house of a strong man and plunder his goods? Only someone even stronger—someone who could tie him up and then plunder his house.

30 “Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.

31 “So I tell you, every sin and blasphemy can be forgiven—except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which will never be forgiven.32 Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come.

Reactions: MatthewG

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Continued from post #19

Ready for this?

• The word translated tormented in Strongs, Vines, and Thayers is "basinizo" which comes from the Greek word that literally means "to put to the test by rubbing on the touchstone."
  • Touchstones are pieces of rock or flint that are used to grind off elements or particles in the processing of alloys or other metals.
  • From this definition, we can see that the process in the Lake is not one of a mindless, endless torture for the sake of cruelty but one refining, purging, rubbing off the rough edges, so the speak.
I find this interesting because in it we discover real meaning - loving meaning - in something Jesus says in Matthew 21:44. Here Jesus had just given the parable of the wicked husbandman to the scribes and Pharisees. He ends the parable by telling these religious leaders - "Therefore I say unto you, The Kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation brining forth the fruits thereof."

• They had the True Messiah come and they rejected Him and therefore, Jesus tells them, the Kingdom is going to be taken from them and given to another nation (the Gentiles) which would bring forth fruit.
  • Then he says something interesting relative to this touchstone concept in the very next verse:
- "Whoever shall fail on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder."

• The nation refused to fall upon Him the Rock or stone and humbly receive Him. Therefore, He says, the other option is He will fall on them and grind them to powder.
  • I would suggest, in light of the meaning Torments found in Revelation 14, and the fact that those in the Lake of Fire will be subject to brimstone and fire in the presence of the Holy Angels and the Lamb that again, we are talking about - painful mandatory refinement - grinding them down upon the willful - a grinding that, producing friction simultaneously produces heat or fire.
Some things to think about.

• We also note that Jesus and His apostles are constantly, warning the people of their day and age that "the wrath of God was to come" upon them.
  • It will be poured out on those who reject His Son.
  • Revelation speaks of this wrath, and fierce anger of GOd, as being contained in a cup - a container of limited dimensions.
  • A loving, forgiving, long-suffering God would not have wrath that runs like a river forever. It is limited, justly appropriate to the crime, and delivered in appropriate amounts - like strips that come to some as a few, and to others as many (Jesus said that).
Matthew.....I have not engaged you....why?...with respect, however I'll cut to the chase; you waffle and waffle and waffle!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, yes, but that comes before the verse I gave.

22 Then a demon-possessed man, who was blind and couldn’t speak, was brought to Jesus. He healed the man so that he could both speak and see. 23 The crowd was amazed and asked, “Could it be that Jesus is the Son of David, the Messiah?”

24 But when the Pharisees heard about the miracle, they said, “No wonder he can cast out demons. He gets his power from Satan,the prince of demons.”

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and replied, “Any kingdom divided by civil war is doomed. A town or family splintered by feuding will fall apart. 26 And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is divided and fighting against himself. His own kingdom will not survive. 27 And if I am empowered by Satan, what about your own exorcists? They cast out demons, too, so they will condemn you for what you have said. 28 But if I am casting out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has arrived among you. 29 For who is powerful enough to enter the house of a strong man and plunder his goods? Only someone even stronger—someone who could tie him up and then plunder his house.

30 “Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.

31 “So I tell you, every sin and blasphemy can be forgiven—except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which will never be forgiven.32 Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come.

There is also the scripture from Mark too my sister.

Mark 3: The Unpardonable Sin
28Truly I tell you, the sons of men will be forgiven all sins and blasphemies, as many as they utter. 29But whoeverblasphemes against the HolySpirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of eternal sin.” 30Jesus made this statement because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”…

I have been reading the book of Mark this week as it is 4th week of reading the Bible, next week will be week 5 and will be going back to Exodus 1-21.

Love to you, sister keep going in your faith.

Matthew.....I have not engaged you....why?...with respect, however I'll cut to the chase; you waffle and waffle and waffle!

Honestly quietthinker I probably need to give this website a break for 2 weeks or so, I do not think I am addicted per say but just enjoy sharing the Bible and scripture with others. I am probably addicted.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is also the scripture from Mark too my sister.

Mark 3: The Unpardonable Sin
28Truly I tell you, the sons of men will be forgiven all sins and blasphemies, as many as they utter. 29But whoeverblasphemes against the HolySpirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of eternal sin.” 30Jesus made this statement because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”…

I have been reading the book of Mark this week as it is 4th week of reading the Bible, next week will be week 5 and will be going back to Exodus 1-21.

Love to you, sister keep going in your faith.

Honestly quietthinker I probably need to give this website a break for 2 weeks or so, I do not think I am addicted per say but just enjoy sharing the Bible and scripture with others. I am probably addicted.

Ah, I really like eXodus. All my struggles to trust rather than worry I can see in the desert wandering!