Intellectual Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did not know that he had passed! He was the one I thought of qualifying as such, and this news is certainly heartbreaking for us!

With Best Regards,
Bobby Jo
Yes, I heard right after it happened. Somewhere on the forum someone was touting the supposed virtues of Hinduism. I was able to find a couple of great articles by Zacharias explaining the false beliefs in Hinduism. He was born in India into a Hindu family, so he had firsthand knowledge. He was a great Christian.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colin Brown, Donald Guthrie, Beale & Carson, Daniel Wallace, Keener,Hendriksen, Kostenberger, Ridderbos, Bruce, Morris, Howard Marshall, Stott, Ware, Cole, Bauckham,Hurtado, Harris, Bowman, Morey, Letham,White, Packer, Licona,Habernas, McDowell, Geisler, Rhodes, Turek and I could keep going.
You are very well-read.

Reactions: teamventure

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the thread Do we know the year of Christ's Return @JohnDB said in part this

I begin thinking after my response that intellectual Christianity is pretty much nonexistence anymore. We had the giants like JRR Tolkien and C.S. Lewis in days gone by but none I see none with some exceptions like NT Wright who I do think is on the level of Lewis and Tolkien.

Now I use to be an evangelical in the days of the past and you all know I gave that up. When I was in the Christian movement of evangelicalism I knew of no great Christian intellect, maybe AW Tozer but I literally never heard of him till recently and he was in the same generation as Lewis, Tolkien and the others. I can not place my finger upon any modern Christian intellect in the evangelical movement.

I know from my time in the evangelical movement that intellectual Christianity or anything was quite looked down upon. Even the movies are not that much into real deep thinking that have been produced so all this has me wondering, since this is primarily an evangelical board I thought maybe you all would know the answer to my question which is:

Are there any modern intellectual Christianity in the Christian evangelical movement?

Using your brain and your heart both have importance, but truth be told you can over-think yourself out of sound Christianity or feel things that aren't truth.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colin Brown, Donald Guthrie, Beale & Carson, Daniel Wallace, Keener,Hendriksen, Kostenberger, Ridderbos, Bruce, Morris, Howard Marshall, Stott, Ware, Cole, Bauckham,Hurtado, Harris, Bowman, Morey, Letham,White, Packer, Licona,Habernas, McDowell, Geisler, Rhodes, Turek and I could keep going.

Thank you. How many of them are true evangelicals? For instances Anglicans nor Methodist wouldn't be evangelicals. I must sometime check out that list after my studies and when time permits.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I heard right after it happened. Somewhere on the forum someone was touting the supposed virtues of Hinduism. I was able to find a couple of great articles by Zacharias explaining the false beliefs in Hinduism. He was born in India into a Hindu family, so he had firsthand knowledge. He was a great Christian.

He was good, listened to his radio streaming stuff. I do miss him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the thread Do we know the year of Christ's Return @JohnDB said in part this

I begin thinking after my response that intellectual Christianity is pretty much nonexistence anymore. We had the giants like JRR Tolkien and C.S. Lewis in days gone by but none I see none with some exceptions like NT Wright who I do think is on the level of Lewis and Tolkien.

Now I use to be an evangelical in the days of the past and you all know I gave that up. When I was in the Christian movement of evangelicalism I knew of no great Christian intellect, maybe AW Tozer but I literally never heard of him till recently and he was in the same generation as Lewis, Tolkien and the others. I can not place my finger upon any modern Christian intellect in the evangelical movement.

I know from my time in the evangelical movement that intellectual Christianity or anything was quite looked down upon. Even the movies are not that much into real deep thinking that have been produced so all this has me wondering, since this is primarily an evangelical board I thought maybe you all would know the answer to my question which is:

Are there any modern intellectual Christianity in the Christian evangelical movement?

I'm not at all against an intellectually-stimulated church. I am all for us using our minds. But in some sense I agree with Enoch. I think during the previous centuries when Christianity was largely a form of intellectualism it was also rather devoid of the Spirit. Too much head, with their thoughts arising from the carnal man and carnal understanding rather than from the inspiration of the Spirit of God.

So for me this is a mixed bag. The dumbing down is truly depressing, but I'm not sure I would favor a return to the church of previous centuries either, which leaned too much on the human intellect and its own understanding.

Reactions: Rita

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of greats so far. My next question is why are forums like this not able to even do intellectual debates as @JohnDB has said he really could not do that here. I would love to see a sub forum dedicated to intellectual debates quite like CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, and others did at the Eagle and Child pub

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So for me this is a mixed bag. The dumbing down is truly depressing, but I'm not sure I would favor a return to the church of previous centuries either, which leaned too much on the human intellect and its own understanding.

I agree in the non liturgical world and even the liturgical world it is quite depressing to see so much anti-intellectualism*. I disagree that returning to the Church of previous centuries would be a bad thing, they didn't depend on their own understanding at all, people got scared because they showed smarts and intelligent which still permeates a lot of places today in the Christian world.

----------------------
*Though I would say it is not as bad as it use to be

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree in the non liturgical world and even the liturgical world it is quite depressing to see so much anti-intellectualism*. I disagree that returning to the Church of previous centuries would be a bad thing, they didn't depend on their own understanding at all, people got scared because they showed smarts and intelligent which still permeates a lot of places today in the Christian world.

----------------------
*Though I would say it is not as bad as it use to be

Once upon a time the Church controlled who could learn to read and who could have access to books to read.

Today Churches encourage listening to the one voice that stands in front of the congregations...sure that one voice writes books (or just puts their name on them) but still tries to control the information you receive because they have theologies to protect.
This is why various denominations have their own translations of Bibles, their own small group Bible study literature and etc.

And truly it's difficult to first understand who actually has talents to research various aspects. A ancient native American Indian expert has no capabilities to understand the Ancient Near East or Mesopotamia...but it doesn't seem to stop them from slapping their PHD on a paper they write on the subjects as if they were an authority.

So where it's good to read studies...it's just as important to study the author of the studies.

Reactions: historyb

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorites is Dr. Del Tackett from best known for the " Truth Project ". I have the series and have gone through it in small groups and with my family several times. It is a great series and I highly recommend it.

Reactions: historyb