Interpretation Methods

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said on another thread, integrity is something I value.

I do recall you and I agreeing with the rules of this forum and acknowledging the direction of @lforrest not to bring the BB here.

I will not discuss it on the open forum as that would demonstrate a lack of integrity.

If a member wants to know they can contact me via PM.

Biblical Foreknowledge
A lack of integrity is you making like you do not know what I am talking about.
Your lies go from thread to thread, it is hard to keep them in one place.
Do not look for a loophole, or technicality
You have attacked me personally 5 times , and I forgave you.
You thanked me for forgiving you.
Now you revert back like a dog to its own vomit.
Different thread, same M.O.
I did not mention any board here, just your quote, as you could not be honest about it.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott,
Some topics do not lend themselves to one-sentence answers.

Take the op and work through one sentence at a time...say if you agree or do not agree.
That is exactly what I am doing.

You indicated that somewhere here there is a question, which you did very concisely. But in the OP there does not appear to be a concise question. That's the problem...not that there is not a simple answer, but there is no clear and concise question. This doesn't have to be so confusing or difficult, so I am trying not to add to the confusion. Maybe you can help.

You presented a challenge for an answer. And I'm ready and willing to oblige.

I, in turn, challenged you to offer a question.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly what I am doing.

You indicated that somewhere here there is a question, which you did very concisely. But in the OP there does not appear to be a concise question. That's the problem...not that there is not a simple answer, but there is no clear and concise question. This doesn't have to be so confusing or difficult, so I am trying not to add to the confusion. Maybe you can help.

You presented a challenge for an answer. And I'm ready and willing to oblige.

I, in turn, challenged you to offer a question.
okay...lets try;
I will take it back to the Foreknowledge thread;

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lack of integrity is you making like you do not know what I am talking about.
Your lies go from thread to thread, it is hard to keep them in one place.
Do not look for a loophole, or technicality
You have attacked me personally 5 times , and I forgave you.
You thanked me for forgiving you.
Now you revert back like a dog to its own vomit.
Different thread, same M.O.
I did not mention any board here, just your quote, as you could not be honest about it.
I am honoring our word to @lforrest. If you have an issue with the Baptist Board then get with me on the Baptist Board - NOT here.

Last edited:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Integrity: the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

When I joined this forum I agreed to abide by its rules. So did you. These rules are in the "welcome center". I also acknowledged @lforrest prohibition from bringing another forum here. So did you. The post is here: Biblical Foreknowledge .

I have the honestly, strong moral principles, and moral uprightness to honor my word. I will not discuss your warnings and bans from another forum on this forum.

If anyone wants information about another forum or any other issue not related to this forum then I'll engage via PM only. I don't know why anyone would care as the fruit is the test of the tree (no additional evidence should be needed than has been provided on this thread already).
You were not supposed to post my name and try and undermine me, which is all you do.
You are the last person to post about integrity.
You hide your posts and look to go in secret. You are the one who took me on, now deal with it. I deal in the open as I have nothing to hide.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were not supposed to post my name and try and undermine me, which is all you do.
You are the last person to post about integrity.
You hide your posts and look to go in secret. You are the one who took me on, now deal with it. I deal in the open as I have nothing to hide.
I don't know what you are talking about.

I am honoring our word to @lforrest. If you have an issue with the Baptist Board then get with me on the Baptist Board - NOT here.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Caldwell,
This thread is about biblical foreknowledge, not Anthony D'Arienzo. That is a public service announcement for those who are not stalkers.:eek:
Wrong.

This thread is not about biblical foreknowledge.
This thread is about Interpretation Methods.

And I am not the stalker - I AUTHORED THE OP. :rolleyes:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

haha...yeah sure JonC, I post anything and you delete it and change what I said. You cannot do that here. Your lies are open to the public. Your name-calling, and lying open for all to see. I have asked you at least 25 x now, go away JonC.

Wrong.

This thread is not about biblical foreknowledge.
This thread is about Interpretation Methods.

And I am not stalking anyone - I AUTHORED THE OP. :rolleyes:

Ok,,, you are correct for once, lol I am getting dizzy jumping back and forth like the game wack a mole.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am not sure what the rules are now as you keep calling me by name. Stop it JonC. I did not mention any other board, but you said you did not know what i was talking about,lol...yes you do JonC

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure what the rules are now as you keep calling me by name. Stop it JonC. I did not mention any other board, but you said you did not know what i was talking about,lol...yes you do JonC
It took me a bit to figure out you were bringing a BB PM here. I did not know until you posted the PM. A lot of the other comments you made does not make sense to me.

In terms of what I can decode of your post I still say that I am honoring our word to @lforrest. If you have an issue with the Baptist Board then get with me on the Baptist Board - NOT here. I do not know why you think it would have been appropriate. Go to the BB.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not interested in your threads. I was just responding to the alerts
Ah...a good old fashioned hijacking. I get it. You were trolling. Good for you.

I was actually discusding interpretive methods. I mentioned your comment because it is liberal hermeneutics and compared it to mine based on a comment you made. I did not want to hijack your thread so I started another.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took me a bit to figure out you were bringing a BB PM here. I did not know until you posted the PM. A lot of the other comments you made does not make sense to me.

In terms of what I can decode of your post I still say that I am honoring our word to @lforrest. If you have an issue with the Baptist Board then get with me on the Baptist Board - NOT here. I do not know why you think it would have been appropriate. Go to the BB.
That is simple.....you do not let me.
You censor and delete my posts. It sounds good here, but the reality is you are quite dishonest. It was not a PM...after you banned me for no reason you tried to sound all sanctimonious, and how you had to struggle with the decision...you are such a drama queen JonC
In respect to Forrest i will not rehash it. I am done with you JonC

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are still forgetting @lforrest 's instruction. If you have an issue with the Baptist Board then get with me on the Baptist Board - NOT here.

Last edited:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It matters what you delete because you have a history of lying about deleteing posts. The deleted posts had to do with me,lol

bye bye JonC

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Author!

Lord Byron, romantic poet of the early 1800’s, walked into a pub and sat down at a table by the fire. Sitting at the table next to him he overheard the heated conversation of two gentlemen discussing the meaning of a poem – one written by the poet himself. He listened with amusement as they debated over the meaning of the poem, both completely missing the point. Finally, he chimed in with the true meaning of the poem, introducing himself as the author. Even so they stood their ground preferring their own interpretations, and both argued with Lord Byron over the meaning of the poem.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
agreed but some denoms are the only one who has the truth

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
agreed but some denoms are the only one who has the truth

Not that I've found. There are some that are very attractive and designed for itching ears. They require no change in their behavior, just belief that Jesus will take them to heaven anyway. That is why I do not belong to any denomination; I go straight to God for the Author's interpretation. Only He has provided the means to be righteous and holy, for only they will enter heaven. Those who commit willful sin will not.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
On another thread @Anthony D'Arienzo brought up a good point when it comes to differing doctrines, and that is the hermenutical principles and methods used in interpreting Scripture.

@Anthony D'Arienzo rejected the "literal" or traditional method as subjecting God to a "dictionary". Instead of using the meaning conveyed by a words grammatical construction and historical context, @Anthony D'Arienzo suggested words in the biblical text have a different meaning - a "biblical meaning".

I need to be forthright and say I am a SBC baptist. As a denomination we have had experience with liberal hermeneutics that colors many of our perceptions to this sort of liberal interpretation.

I hold to a "literal" method of interpretation which asserts that the biblical text is to be interpreted according to the plain meaning conveyed by its grammatical construction and historical context

For this reason I do not believe in "biblical" meanings for words as opposed to "literal" meanings ("literal" being according to the plain meaning conveyed by its grammatical construction and historical context).

Holding a traditional view of Scripture I believe several interpretive factors come into play when we interpret a text. We have to determine the "plain meaning" of the word and its English equivalent (as best we can). But we also have to examine the historic context and consider how the text would be recieved by the original audience.

What we (traditionalists in this regard) NEVER do (as best we can help it) is assign to these words "biblical" meanings. We try NOT to read theology back into the text but attempt to derive theology from the text itself.

I believe that God spoke through the authors (Scripture is "God breathed") to include word choices (not to redefine words into a sort of bible code but to have a "literal" meaning).

I hope to have a discussion about the topic. I have a few questions for those who share @Anthony D'Arienzo 's position. I do not understand how those who employ the liberal method can help but be subjective in their interpretations as it seems they read theology and philosophy into the text itself.
Out of the Renaissance and Reformation came strongly the idea of interpretation of words and their meanings according to their contexts. This is exegesis: getting the meaning from the text.

Whereas reading meanings into the text - eisegesis - is the complete opposite.

Reactions: John Caldwell