Is an all-loving God better?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is part of Dr Craig's reasoning against Allah and his covert comparison with the God of Christianity:

So the question in this case is whether it is better to give unconditional love rather than demand that one’s love be earned. Here I fear that your moral intuitions have been distorted precisely by the Muslim concept of God which I indict. A person raised in a Muslim culture in which the view of God is of a person whose love is conditional and must be earned is apt to have his moral intuitions skewed by such a culturally dominant view of God.

But a person can overcome his cultural prejudices by trying to step back and examine them objectively. I sometimes ask students what they would think of a parent who says to his children, “If you measure up and do as I say, THEN I will love you!” Some students have had parents like that, and they know the terrible emotional damage such a pseudo-love wreaks upon children. This is not love, but abuse. The God of the Qur’an is just like that. If you say the prayers and pay the alms and do righteous deeds, THEN he will love you.

The God of Islam is thus just as morally defective as a parent who withholds love from his children unless they deserve it. Love that is undeserved and gratuitously given is a far greater love than love that is extended to a person simply as his due. The person who has earned love has no reason to be grateful, since he has merited it. It is precisely love that is undeserved that issues in thanksgiving and praise.

Don’t confuse loving Hitler and Stalin as persons with condoning their evil acts. We can love evil persons as persons and therefore hope and pray that they will turn away from the evil they have chosen.

So I think that the first premise of the argument is quite secure and so gives good reason to reject the Islamic conception of God (William Lane Craig, Is an all-loving God better?)​

I found this to be an excellent argument of the God of unconditional love of Christianity vs the god of conditional love of Islam.

Could you use this approach when witnessing with Muslims?

Oz

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks, will check out the link...it seems to be that in this day and age, this would be a good thing for us all to know!
Thanks...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just read it..excellent ..and a good discussion. I liked the Hitler line there..loving does not mean condoning. ( this also strengthens my own personal belief in UR too. :) )

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mal 1:2 I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, 3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness. 4 Whereas Edom saith, We are impoverished, but we will return and build the desolate places; thus saith the LORD of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the LORD hath indignation for ever. 5 And your eyes shall see, and ye shall say, The LORD will be magnified from the border of Israel. 6 A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the LORD of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name? 7 Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the LORD is contemptible.

Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth) ; 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. 19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? 20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? 21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? 22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: 23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

It’s delusional to think that God doesn’t hate persons or a person. These are minor examples, but The Lord God will wipe out anything that is a threat to what He loves. So that isn’t hugs and kiss’ friend.

He wiped out all of the flesh except for the few on the ark. He wiped out countless people in Egypt in the day of Moses and forced Pharaoh’s heart to dare for more, not to mention the thousands of souls that were in the land of cannon. The Almighty simply can with hold fulfillment in His Kingdom and Life given to the sons of man. The floods came in Noah’s day but the opportunity to escape or be delivered from it, was withheld from all that were not in the ark.

Also since God can love some person He created, then He is capable and righteous when He hates some one He has created.

This universal Christianity (one world stuff) is a bogus attitude, and the interest in Islam is a bogus teas to entertain Muhammad’s idol, because Muhammad the prophet of Islam found his idol in the building in mecca where they parade around. Therefore, his god is and idol, and not the Living God, Creator of heaven and earth.

be careful there friends, you are being enticed to judge what God ought to be like according to your own judgement of what is good and evil.